Do your parents play fm09?

Nope just me really, i would consider getting my mum into it, but she fails to understand football.

I hate my dad and sincerely hope to never see him again, and he makes two planks of wood look like a computer, he is so technically stupid, that if i did introduce him to the joy of FM, i would fear for the life of my laptop, as well as my FM disc

My Dad is really into his football stats and all that but he has never got into it for some reason despite my continued attempts to get him playing :(

Accessability maybe? ;-)

Really, since I know how hard it can be to get going, I never fancied to show anyone of my football interested friends FM, just pointed them to the trailer and website, reviews.

Wife loves in FM09 the "real people" though vs. "sticks", how she calls the blobs and enjoys browsing football players by their pics. Hmm...

• SI Staff
All the numbers and words just confuse my dad and he calls it a Mickey MOuse game and my mums got a vendetta agaisnt FM because in her words it "Its a waste of money and slows the PC down!"

My mate's girlfriend always used to moan to him about "playing those tables" all the time.

My Dad is really into his football stats and all that but he has never got into it for some reason despite my continued attempts to get him playing :(
All the numbers and words just confuse my dad and he calls it a Mickey MOuse game and my mums got a vendetta agaisnt FM because in her words it "Its a waste of money and slows the PC down!"

ask them, if the would prefer u playing "killing games"? Maybe you do, but if not, that could be enough to shut them up.

My dad's in his eighties, and the only game he plays anymore is bridge. But at least he plays it online.

My kids don't play FM, or any sports management. They would rather Halo or Soul Calibre or whatever on XBox Live...

Do I detect some slight bit of age discrimination by the OP? :D

I have a 2 cousins who play FM. One of them used to have long sessions with a pair of Aberdeen football brothers back in the day. The other cousin ended up snapping the FM08 disc because, I quote - 'it's taking over my life!' I dunno if he's given in and bought FM09 yet though :p

My dad's in his eighties, and the only game he plays anymore is bridge. But at least he plays it online.

My kids don't play FM, or any sports management. They would rather Halo or Soul Calibre or whatever on XBox Live...

Do I detect some slight bit of age discrimination by the OP? :D

Well, how old are kids? Management requires some maturity :-)

I would bet, still the majority of FM players are in their 30ies

The eldest is 17 going on 40. Quite mature for his age, and quite intelligent, if I do say so my fatherly self. :) Thing is, he dislikes sports in general. He'll show a passing interest if a local team is doing well, but to pay attention to anything so "trivial" is a "waste of his time." He says this as he hloats over his postive kill ratio in Call of Duty...

The youngest, 5, will sit on my lap and press the spacebar when I tell him to..."Are we the yellow guys this time? Or the white ones?" "Get In!" Maybe there's hope for the kid, yet...

The eldest is 17 going on 40. Quite mature for his age, and quite intelligent, if I do say so my fatherly self. :) Thing is, he dislikes sports in general. He'll show a passing interest if a local team is doing well, but to pay attention to anything so "trivial" is a "waste of his time."

The youngest, 5, will sit on my lap and press the spacebar when I tell him to..."Are we the yellow guys this time? Or the white ones?" "Get In!" Maybe there's hope for the kid, yet...

This is, my dear friend, where you have to act wisely now to nurture a future manager!

Let him feel having had significant impact on the team when your guys are doing well....needless to say to take him to every home match, buying him jerseys, signing him up for a football team in a couple, etc.

In some years, there might be a chance that over some beers you two will do an all-nighter...

This is, my dear friend, where you have to act wisely now to nurture a future manager!

Let him feel having had significant impact on the team when your guys are doing well....needless to say to take him to every home match, buying him jerseys, signing him up for a football team in a couple, etc.

In some years, there might be a chance that over some beers you two will do an all-nighter...

Maybe assign him a tutor, and give him some first team games himself when he is old enough to understand the game.

In a few years you might have a real life ass man:thup:

Maybe assign him a tutor, and give him some first team games himself when he is old enough to understand the game.

In a few years you might have a real life ass man:thup:

This, of course, is the next level, after letting him hit the space bar :-)

You could also tell him, that men like soccer, and real men play FM....... okay, that's too much maybe,,,,

This, of course, is the next level, after letting him hit the space bar :-)

You could also tell him, that men like soccer, and real men play FM....... okay, that's too much maybe,,,,

No, use him sparingly, slowly introduce him, too much information at 5 years of age could confuse him and put him off.

I would use a third party application to find out his PA.

Then loan him out to the neighbours.:p

the father in law plays nightly (aged 50) we have our own little challenges...tried teaching my 18 month old boy it earlier just the simple things...ie telling him formations offsides etc but all he wanted was his dummy...plenty off time yet

I often mention playing the original Football Manager back in the late '80s. Well, that was a very simple game and my mum often played it. She could never play today's FM, though. My dad doesn't play, but he does show an interest and browsed this very forum a few times when I was looking into getting a new laptop for FM09.

SSGTroyer believes nurturing young talent to be an important part of any managers career!

No, use him sparingly, slowly introduce him, too much information at 5 years of age could confuse him and put him off.

I would use a third party application to find out his PA.

Then loan him out to the neighbours.:p

Of course, this needs some years of time ;-)

So, let's put together what u can do now:

1) on every new version launch, make it very special father/son day/weekend. let HIM order, unwrap, install the game (of course you guide his hand)

2) retract to the study. Mum is only allowed to serve him his fav. food, sweets, juices...

3) put him (name and pic) as a player into the game ;-)

4) maybe the same with u, brother, friends...

5) next major soccer event: World Cup 2010: watch with him, collect star player pics, etc. He will be age 6 by then, and that's old enough to get a some taste of World Cup.

6) home team games

7) backyard soccer play

8) table soccer

You get the idea....

Of course, this needs some years of time ;-)

So, let's put together what u can do now:

1) on every new version launch, make it very special father/son day/weekend. let HIM order, unwrap, install the game (of course you guide his hand)

2) retract to the study. Mum is only allowed to serve him his fav. food, sweets, juices...

3) put him (name and pic) as a player into the game ;-)

4) maybe the same with u, brother, friends...

5) next major soccer event: World Cup 2010: watch with him, collect star player pics, etc. He will be age 6 by then, and that's old enough to get a some taste of World Cup.

6) home team games

7) backyard soccer play

8) table soccer

You get the idea....

He Has a potential wonderkid on his hands:p

Grandfather and father do it. My grandfather is retired so he has plenty of time on his hands to play. He is with some obscure Indian club last time I checked in the 2018 season. Whoever can last that long in that **** league is one heck of a manager. My dad travels a lot so he has a save going on during the long flights.

As bad as this sounds, my children will be conceived playing FM.:p

One day they might contribute to this thread and brag about how much their dad plays it:D

Mind u, ur wife has some saying here, doesn't she? ;-)

And then, it should be HER playing FM during pregnancy...like some do with listening to Mozart and stuff....

Mind u, ur wife has some saying here, doesn't she? ;-)

And then, it should be HER playing FM during pregnancy...like some do with listening to Mozart and stuff....

My wife/girlfriend will be asleep:p

JOKING.

And yes, she will play FM, and i will regularly chant football songs to her stomache, whilst rubbing the FM disc on it.

MY KIDS WILL BE FM'ERS!!!

My wife/girlfriend will be asleep:p

JOKING.

And yes, she will play FM, and i will regularly chant football songs to her stomache, whilst rubbing the FM disc on it.

MY KIDS WILL BE FM'ERS!!!

One more advantage hardcopy over Steam download......

I'm a dad and I play all the time when I can, maybe thats the good thing about being divorced.

Or maybe that's why? ;)

Sorry - that 'joke' was the comedy equivalent of a tap-in. :(

I read that and thought "surely that means him..." before I realised. Still had to read it twice though.

I've got my dad onto the old using-more-than-one-finger-to-type-on-a-keyboard thing, but never had much luck with computer games.

Archived