AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season 2015-16

Club reports – Summer Transfers

After a remarkable Championship season, both the Bandits and Sheriffs had been promoted. But neither had the players to cope in the Premiership, and both squads would need heavy investment.

To give you an idea of the standard of player required in the top league, here at the number of players at each level prior to the season:

180+ CA: 23

170+ CA: 62

160+ CA: 134

150+ CA: 237

With the Bandits' best player reaching 148 and the Sheriffs 135, neither side had anyone to frighten their new opposition. They needed to see if they could entice anyone with 150 CA to join a newly promoted side, otherwise they would be in trouble.

Interesting point to show how difficult it is to attract the top players – there may be 62 players of 170 CA in the league, but 47 of them play for the Big Four, another 12 for Man City or Spurs, leaving just three others, two at Newcastle and one at Sunderland. There is no even spread – you need a high reputation to get these guys. The Bandits and Sheriffs would have to aim lower.

Bandits

Perhaps aware of the challenges ahead, the Bandits resisted their usual summer clearout, losing only a handful of substandard players, and focused instead on new recruits. They jumped straight into it, purchasing Aaron Lennon from Hearts for £2.6m. The right winger, now 28, had never fulfilled his potential of 165 but his CA of 143 but him behind only Dyer at the club. A good start.

Then they started to stun the world of football by flashing the cash. Xisco arrived for a whopping £14.75m from Sunderland, the 29 year old striker becoming the club's best player with a very healthy CA of 154. But not for long – Jose Palma was the next to join, for a jaw-dropping £24m from Reading. The 23 year old central midfielder was a superstar – his CA of 167 was good for the league, and could still rise to 175. At this point, the division began to take notice.

Next, the manager turned to the goalkeeping situation, signing 18 year old Vincenzo Albanesi from Chelsea for £10.75m. Already comfortably the club's best keeper with a CA of 136, he could reach an impressive 170 in time.

Deciding Xisco needed a partner up front, he then turned to Dinamo Kiev, signing Chinese frontman Xu Qi for £12m. Having scored 52 goals in 54 games for the club, it was time for the 24 year old to step up to a top league, and with a CA of 163 and a PA of 176 he has every chance of becoming a star.

Finally a cheap signing arrived, in the form of Kim Dong-Jin, a 33 year old left back who arrived from Bolton, who cost £950k. His CA of 140 makes him a good squad player at worst. But soon the Bandits were back to spending big money, and having already given Reading £24m for Palma, they contributed another £17.75m to their account for Michael Mancienne. Now 27, the centre back has a CA of 158.

Most positions were now sorted, but no left winger had arrived, so Brek Shea was purchased for £13.75m from Bolton. The 25 year old American has a CA of 157 and a PA of 168, and is another in an incredible set of signings. But he wasn't the last – Christian Ribeiro, a 25 year old left or centre back with a CA of 145 was signed for £10m from Middlesbrough, and left wing back Thomas Fontaine cost another £11.75m from West Ham. The 24 year old can only add one to his CA of 151.

One signing left, and it was one of the most exciting. Michael Williamson is an attacking midfielder or striker with a CA of 142, but at just 20 years of age he has plenty of time to improve. And with a PA of a massive 184 he could become a legitimate world star. Costing £8.75m from Watford, he could be a bargain.

And with that, the chequebook was closed. An astonishing £127m has been spent, and the Bandits had been transformed from relegation favourites to a dangerous force. They have no absolute stars – Palma's CA of 167 puts him 76th in the league, but the league still had to be wary.

Sheriffs

The Sheriffs had spent an extra year in the Championship before gaining promotion, but didn't really have the squad to show for it. Any player with 140 CA would instantly become the club's best, so investment was required.

Like the Bandits, they resisted a massive clearout, and instant focused on recruits. The first was Steve Standing, a 20 year old central midfielder costing £1.9m from West Brom. Definitely a long term signing, his 125 CA could rise to 175, but he isn't one for today.

That is certainly not the case with the second signing, Falcao, who cost a stonking £23m from River (yes, the same Falcao that scored THAT goal for Porto against Arsenal recently – anyone who mentions it gets a slap). Prolific in Argentina, the 29 year old striker is at his peak, with a whopping 165 CA. Nice.

Next to arrive was Mark Bunn, a 30 year old goalkeeper with 133 CA. Costing £1.8m from Middlesbrough, he is quite expensive for his ability, but he is better than what they have.

Middlesbrough also sold the Sheriffs their next player – Kevin Thomson, but his signing was much more notable. With a CA of 160, the 30 year old central midfielder is quite the player, and even at £9.5m worth the outlay.

Only one more signing was made, Iliass Bel Hassani, a 22 year old attacking midfielder picked up for £4m from Le Mans. His CA of 146 could rise to 155.

And that was it. Three of their signings became their three best players, but you worry a little about their strength in depth – beyond the few stars there is not too much to get excited about. That said, the manager is talented, so you never know.

Onward.

It'll be interesting to see what that's done to the clubs financially. At last report, the Bandits had a balance of £124m, yet they've spent £127m. Obviously there's prize money and season ticket earnings and the like to be added in, but they must have felt it. I hope that they haven't used all their buying power in one go. They're going to need similar investment again next year (and the next) in order to compete.

The Sheriffs are simply not good enough. All they can hope is that they come out on top in the games against the other relegation candidates. If they survive, the boost in rep should make it easier for them next term.

Prediction: Bandits finish 9th after hovering around Euro places for a while. Sheriffs finish 16th, dipping into the drop zone all year long, but saving themselves with a week or two to go, thanks to a couple of decent quality January signings.

The Bandits have released the beast within :eek: Definitely a top half finish is on the books now \o/ Sheriffs will be struggling till January and need to make some nice moves there or they'll be quickly back to where they belong! :cool:

Excellent window for the Bandits. Worried about the Sheriffs though. In answer to Betterspud, i reckon financially the Bandits will always be on a sound footing. Season tickets, TV revenue and a massive support should see them ok. Im just glad they are spending it properly in this experiment. I was always a touch disappointed in the original that they didnt exploit their spending power early on. It seems the AI has definately improved in this aspect.

Wowsers! 127 million!

Well as it is prediction time, I am going to go for, Sherrifs in a relegation battle by Christmas (lets hope the scum bags go down).

Bandits, have an appalling start to the season as the new team gel, lurching from victory to loss with no run of form, but by October they turn it around and scrabble up to 6th for Christmas.

Wow, The Bandits are really going for it. It's really nice to see them actually using their financial muscle in this experiment. On the back of those signings they'll be at least mid table, and we've still got January to go yet. Williamson is a really exciting prospect, I hope they can hang onto him.

The Sheriffs may struggle a little this season, they could have really done with a few more new players.

Crazy spending.

I am worried about the Sheriffs though. That Keeper Mark Bunn though is terrific. Signed him in my game (a desperate signing at the time) but he performed tremendously well. He's under-rated. Watch him.

Necessary spending. I think the Bandits will limp to mid-table, still not enough quality to reach Europe, unless they sneak a cup win.

Sheriffs are going down unless they strengthen heavily in January.

What the hell was Aaron Lennon doing at Hearts? No matter, great to see him coming in to the Bandits, and good to see them flashing the cash as a team in their financial position reaching the Prem for the first time really would.

And good to see Falcao coming in to the Sheriffs, what's the betting he scores against Arsenal? Oh wait, he's already done that! *dodges Kip's slap*

Liking the look of the Bandits transfers, hoping they finish well (mid table I'd assume, with a decent cup run) and bring in some real stars next season.

The Sheriffs look set to go straight back down without some serious strengthening in January.....

Great to see you back again Kip. I think your style has, if anything, improved even further lately. Sympathy about Falcao - nice to know you're a fellow gooner. How have Arsenal been doing?

Spending was predictable and if anything I'd say it was a little lower than I expected. Bandits to get Europa League football, Sherriffs should survive but will be outsiders in the relegation battle, I'd say. They will probably splash the cash in January. Bandits might not need to....

:( Bandits gone on a spending spree.

Sherrifs look like they'll struggle this season. Only got Falcao who's of any note. Look like a one man team. Need to spend in January and get off to a good start. Hopefully Falcao can settle in England too.

lordy, no messing from the Bandits there. They've gotta be aiming for Europe straight away with that investment. Wouldn't think that they'll ever be short of money in the coming years either, what with the giant stadium alone. The Sheriffs, I'd put them down for a decent lower-middle finish - having someone with "that little bit of quality up front" being the factor between that and a relegation struggle.

They did spend a lot of money, but the players they bought aren't really top-class. With the manager they have, they have a decent chance of getting to Europe, but those are players needed just to stay afloat in the Premiership. After all, the rest of the team are still much weaker.

As for the Sheriffs, they'd better make up for the lack of upgrades in the January window, or they could be headed straight back down...

Wow, you weren't kidding about the big spending. I'd me amazed if the sheriffs were anywhere near the bandits, though they have got a couple of good ones so I'm not going to predict their demise. Bring it on.

Bandits to be in the top half most of the season but drop in form in the last few months and finish about 12th/13th.

Sheriffs to struggle all season and maybe produce a couple of shock results, but ultimately they will be relegated in 19th position just a few points from safety.

I also predict an FA cup final defeat for the Bandits.

I have a theory. I think Kip is an alien life-form who is spying on us and trying to make us so desperate that when his race finally lands on earth, all he'll have to do is announce a Bandits Update, and we'll all bow down before them and he'll control the earth.

Ah well - at least it's something more interesting to think about!!

I have a theory. I think Kip is an alien life-form who is spying on us and trying to make us so desperate that when his race finally lands on earth, all he'll have to do is announce a Bandits Update, and we'll all bow down before them and he'll control the earth.

Ah well - at least it's something more interesting to think about!!

I read this and laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out!!!................ then realised that its probably true and got really scared:eek:

Hmmmm a better way to see if Kipfizh has posted is click on the number of replies on the 2nd to right column.

Kip currently has 315 replies in this thread so if it goes up then maybe an update??

Maybe better than all of us seeing someone has posted thinking maybe someone has replied to a Kip update and then seeing it's a "wonder when we'll get an update" post and be all disapointed?

Just like I have done as well. :D

I read this and laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out!!!................ then realised that its probably true and got really scared:eek:

Thanks for the reaction - thats what I was going for. Gotta do something while we wait for our alien overlords to arrive ;)

We come in peace, Lord Kipfizh. We are willing to be enslaved...in return for an update!!

Maybe Striker three will break the 1000 professional goals barrier!

That'd be amazing. I make it that he's at 289 so far. But he's gonna have to go some to get 1000. At age 23, he may get 10 more seasons, so he'd need upwards of 70 goals each year. Still, he's clearly going to amass an incredible total, whatever he gets.

Let's just hope that the experiment lasts long enough to fond out. (And that we all live long enough to see another ten seasons of updates, which may be an achievement in itself.) That was a joke by the way, before anyone accuses me of having a dig at Kip's update frequency.

Archived