AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

Regarding a few points:

I will probably start the Bandits and Sheriffs a rung or two lower than usual, because their rise up the leagues in comparison to each other is interesting.

I may consider reducing the starting CA of the starlets to 100 this time, which will still be overpoweringly high for that league. The issue is that lowering the CA can make the idiots pointless, because their poor approach to training means their CA does not improve, in fact it tends to go down. Last time, everyone started at 150, the idiots dropped into the 140s, while the starlets found the peak. Perhaps an interesting twist would be to given the idiots a HIGHER CA than the starlets, to counterbalance the Bandits' advantage of having 22 superkids. 150 CA for the idiots, 100 for the starlets? Perhaps...

Giving the starlets a minimum fee release clause is likely to change nothing. A club in the 7th/8th tier of English football is still going to accept a bid of a few million for a player, irrespective of a 100m minimum fee release clause.

I think I'll still have to include a set of leagues from the start, and not try to take too much advantage of the on/off nation switching. If, for example, a starlet moves to Turkey, then yes, I'll switch that league on, but I suspect that if a league isn't switched on, they are less likely to go there in the first place. So plenty will have to be on by default.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to see you back Kip, your experiments have been nothing short of fantastic (can't believe they started with FM07!)

Would you consider giving each of the players a proper name? e.g Gary Goalkeeper, Duncan Defender, Wally Winger etc. etc. Just to give them a wee

bit more personality?? I think it would help us keep a track of individual careers as well.

As you have alluded to, it may be time to make the idiots a little less, well, idiotic. I do think a 50 point difference between them and the Bandits is a little too

large though, can't have the Bandits getting thrashed by their arch rivals can we!

Good luck chap!

150 CA for the idiots, 100 for the starlets? Perhaps...

I've read every single post in both experiments,wonderful stuff kip! :)

Unfortunately the idiots in 09 were rather pointless to the story imho,could not be foreseen.

You can't give the idiots 100 CA,rather set it higher than 150? :) My 2 centavos.

Regarding a few points:

I may consider reducing the starting CA of the starlets to 100 this time, which will still be overpoweringly high for that league. The issue is that lowering the CA can make the idiots pointless, because their poor approach to training means their CA does not improve, in fact it tends to go down. Last time, everyone started at 150, the idiots dropped into the 140s, while the starlets found the peak. Perhaps an interesting twist would be to given the idiots a HIGHER CA than the starlets, to counterbalance the Bandits' advantage of having 22 superkids. 150 CA for the idiots, 100 for the starlets? Perhaps...

I definitely like this idea :thup:

More starting CA for idiots is a good point imo Kip. Even though they manage to improve that CA their personalities will still hold them back whereas the starlets will eventually grow into world beaters barring back to back season long injuries.

Regarding a few points:

I will probably start the Bandits and Sheriffs a rung or two lower than usual, because their rise up the leagues in comparison to each other is interesting.

Giving the starlets a minimum fee release clause is likely to change nothing. A club in the 7th/8th tier of English football is still going to accept a bid of a few million for a player, irrespective of a 100m minimum fee release clause.

I think I'll still have to include a set of leagues from the start, and not try to take too much advantage of the on/off nation switching. If, for example, a starlet moves to Turkey, then yes, I'll switch that league on, but I suspect that if a league isn't switched on, they are less likely to go there in the first place. So plenty will have to be on by default.

Actually With 200 PA and Good Training setup I wonder if 50-100-150 mixture what can be done... Another question can be youth 50CA Squad in Starlets Youth Team With an A Team with 100 CA Starlets Team Can Do. If Bandits manager try to educate 50 CA to true potential or after selling the 100 CA (or 150 CA) main starlets or just release? (I suggest despite 22 superkids - 33 kids with 11 /150CA - 11/ 100CA and 11/ 50 CA with World Beaters PA )

• 4 weeks later...

Cool, I think it is all planned then - thanks for the ideas everyone. Now I just need to buy the game.

On that note, I used to get FMs in January, which usually tied in nicely with the final patch. But with it all Steam-based now, do we even have a notion of 'this is the last patch' anymore?

I've been happily lurking for ages, its a great thread.

Think the suggestion is to have 33 starlets, 11 with a CA of 150, 11 with a CA of 100 and 11 with a CA of 50, but all with PA of 200.

The question then is whether the Bandits manager would try and stick with the 50CA starlets or just release them.

Maybe make it a smaller squad, say, 3 times 7 or 8 players instead? That way its more likely that the lower CA starlets get some playing time, aiding their development.

Cool, I think it is all planned then - thanks for the ideas everyone. Now I just need to buy the game.

On that note, I used to get FMs in January, which usually tied in nicely with the final patch. But with it all Steam-based now, do we even have a notion of 'this is the last patch' anymore?

I doubt it's going to change much. Sure, Steam makes it easier to introduce patches (and perhaps that will mean there are later fixes than have been provided in previous years) but I don't see why that would affect the traditional major update in January. It would be very odd for SI to change their development cycle on the basis of Steam.

You could just set your steam to offline after January Kip - that way it wont auto patch....

No need to set Steam to offline, you just need to right-click the game, go to properties, and then disable updates. Besides, I'm not convinced that would really help in any way.

"Besides, I'm not convinced that would really help in any way."

Apart from keeping an experiments paramaters the same of course *rollseye*

Yes, but what actual benefit does that provide? Patches tend to fix game bugs, and it would presumably be wise to run the experiment with those fixes in place. It's not as if they're going to suddenly recode a major feature of the game in a post-January patch.

None of Kip's experiments have relied on repetition of results or consistency, they're purely about the AI exhibited by the game and possibly a side-experiment of how the players progress.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely excellent thread! :D Amazing experiment kip. Read through the most of it (but mainly the updates) in the past two days, and am extremely glad its coming back, as it is an extremely interesting and entertaining experiment :D Going to check right now if the next experiment is out, really hope it is :)

Kip, how long does it take you to edit a clean database? I can't imagine I'd have the patience to be honest!

A long time! It seems to take longer and longer each time, because more stats keep getting added to each player. club and so on, which means more to change.

Usually takes a good 3-4 hours at the very least, and I imagine it'll take even longer if I start adding lower leagues.

If any of you want to see the original Bandits' progress through the leagues, there was a fan group & photos posted on facebook. Just realised the group still exists when I saw it to the left of my feed. Good to see activity back in this thread tbh :)

Group --> http://www.facebook.com/groups/7652622135/

Photos --> http://www.facebook.com/groups/7652622135/photos/ Just checked through and saw some of those seasons have swapped places :)

• 1 month later...

Catch 22 here. Been waiting for that elusive update so I can start on the DB update (undoubtedly, the database will change considerably), but it hasn't actually been officially confirmed we're getting one.

Just dropping in to say the plans are still there. Haven't actually played a single player game of FM12 yet so might crack on with one in the meantime.

Consider using our release: here

I am updating the file and should have it ready later this evening.

EDIT: Updated to v6.2 which is compatible with 12.2.0 and the new database.

Fantastic - great work. I was looking at this earlier today but figured that it'd take you a while to update with the new patch. Speedy work! I will definitely be using this....

Edit: Am I being dumb? I can't see download links for the updated one...

Fantastic - great work. I was looking at this earlier today but figured that it'd take you a while to update with the new patch. Speedy work! I will definitely be using this....

Edit: Am I being dumb? I can't see download links for the updated one...

My apologies, I spotted a bug after the upload and it was too late to fix it and release it. There were only a few small things to fix and these have been fixed, just needs a quick holiday test so should be up later. :)

Updates v6.2 again and for the final time, all bugs now fixed. Sorry if this affects anything you have done although you could create the file with whichever teams you are using separately and then run the file with ours.

No, I saw your thread and waited for the update today. Been going over the last few pages of this thread to make sure the design itself was right. Seriously - thanks for the update, this is going to be enormously helpful.

Archived