Who to start with? New project!

Hello

Im wanting to start a new save and have it as a long term project but the problem is picking the right team to do it with :/

if anyone could give me their experiences on current/previous saves which you have enjoyed doing then pleast let me know :)

Prefer to stay away from the english leagues.

Thanks

Depends what sort of project you want.

I've had some good saves in previous versions as Ajax. The league is fairly straightforward, and you get some great youngsters come through, but the bigger teams in Europe will bully you into selling all your stars. My aim was to try and turn them back into a European force. Think the best I achieved was last year when I got them to the semis of the Champions League after 7 or 8 seasons , before my team got ripped apart by Barca, Real, PSG and Man City over the summer, and the next season I was promptly dumped out in the Group Stage.

This year, Malaga look an interesting prospect. Down in the segunda in Spain, could be a good project to try and break the top 3 in La Liga.

My feeling is that if you start with a relatively big team (even 2nd tier) it's too easy and you end up conquering the world in a few weeks. For a challenge to really last you through to FM20 I recommend starting in the lower leagues. Hop over to the Editors' forum and download the lower leagues of nations you fancy (if not England there are dozens of others - cf Claessen's pack).

30 minutes ago, Banno200 said:

I was looking at Malaga and also looked at FC Koln so looking at getting a biggish team promoted from the 2nd tier of there respective country

You also have RC Lens in France, who won the league as recently as 1998 and were runners up in 2002. 

Palermo are in the Serie B in Italy

42 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

Depends what sort of project you want.

I've had some good saves in previous versions as Ajax. The league is fairly straightforward, and you get some great youngsters come through, but the bigger teams in Europe will bully you into selling all your stars. My aim was to try and turn them back into a European force. Think the best I achieved was last year when I got them to the semis of the Champions League after 7 or 8 seasons , before my team got ripped apart by Barca, Real, PSG and Man City over the summer, and the next season I was promptly dumped out in the Group Stage.

This year, Malaga look an interesting prospect. Down in the segunda in Spain, could be a good project to try and break the top 3 in La Liga.

So the best regens didn't want to join your club? What about keeping the best players were you able do do that or you had the choice to sell them or let them leave for free because they didn't want to negotiate?

So you can't make them that big like Barcelona, Real, Chelsea, Juventus etc?

I reckon it would be worth a quick look over here on the challenges board if you're struggling for inspiration...? If you're only kinda feeling the save the likelihood of bouncing off is higher I reckon? I know when I've struggled with the FM 'what's & who's' before that the challenges - or even the careers - forums tend to get me excited/raring to go again? Dafuge's challenge is legendary at this point, but there's all sorts of others ranging from the fun to masochistic that provide other ways of playing - good luck! :) 

40 minutes ago, Banno200 said:

I was looking at Malaga and also looked at FC Koln so looking at getting a biggish team promoted from the 2nd tier of there respective country

You've got a few in the third tier for slightly more of a challenge, like Kaiserslautern

What about clubs like Lausanne, Leiria or Larne with foreground sugar daddy? Anyone tried to get them to the highest level and try to win CL?

I wonder how it works, will they with increased reputation give more and more money ?

Can they leave like after 10-15 seasons because they are too old or something?

8 minutes ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

So the best regens didn't want to join your club? What about keeping the best players were you able do do that or you had the choice to sell them or let them leave for free because they didn't want to negotiate?

So you can't make them that big like Barcelona, Real, Chelsea, Juventus etc?

I was tending to use regens that came through the youth system at Ajax. The thing is, that the ones that you get that are stars for Ajax are good enough to go and play at the big teams in Europe, and even middle prem/bundesliga teams can unsettle your players because the Eredivisie's rep is lower in comparison.

I'm sure, ultimately you can do it, but I don't always have the patience to see it through, and I never seem to be able to do what others do and win it all in a couple of seasons.

I'm just starting a save with Hamburg, as a bit of relief from my main save, which has become something of a slog lately.

A good side in the 2. Bundesliga, decent young players. Nice long term challenge to get them back towards the top of German football, maybe even win the league eventually.

40 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

My feeling is that if you start with a relatively big team (even 2nd tier) it's too easy and you end up conquering the world in a few weeks. For a challenge to really last you through to FM20 I recommend starting in the lower leagues. Hop over to the Editors' forum and download the lower leagues of nations you fancy (if not England there are dozens of others - cf Claessen's pack).

I'm clearly not good enough on this game if this is the case for everyone.

I have a Newcastle save 4 seasons in and I'm still struggling to stay in the league sometimes. Season 1 I finished 9th, Season 2 I finished 16th, Season 3 I finished 15th and looks like this season I will be between 20th and 16th.

1 hour ago, Lynchyy said:

I'm clearly not good enough on this game if this is the case for everyone.

Don't worry - it isn't. I've had really successful saves this year - back-to-back promotions with Darlington, Barnsley, Mansfield Town - and others where I've failed with stronger teams like Middlesbrough and Sheff Utd in the Championship, and with Man Utd in the PL. Some like to win everything easy, some - like phnompenhandy - like to suffer for years on the ploughed fields of amateur football.

The game's a broad church, and all worshippers are welcome!

(Must get round to my annual NUFC save soon.)

8 minutes ago, warlock said:

Don't worry - it isn't. I've had really successful saves this year - back-to-back promotions with Darlington, Barnsley, Mansfield Town - and others where I've failed with stronger teams like Middlesbrough and Sheff Utd in the Championship, and with Man Utd in the PL. Some like to win everything easy, some - like phnompenhandy - like to suffer for years on the ploughed fields of amateur football.

And some of us like to start higher up cos it takes us a few weeks just to do a season nowadays

13 hours ago, warlock said:

(Must get round to my annual NUFC save soon.)

This point of succeeding with smaller clubs but failing with bigger ones is intriguing to me. Do you think that your personality/preferences/style as a coach have better chances according to a given club's own traits? What defines a successful (or enjoyable) gel between coach and club?... 

6 minutes ago, phd_angel said:

This point of succeeding with smaller clubs but failing with bigger ones is intriguing to me. Do you think that your personality/preferences/style as a coach have better chances according to a given club's own traits? What defines a successful (or enjoyable) gel between coach and club?... 

It's a good point. I've been a very lower league manager for years and can't remember ever getting higher than the 4th tier. I'm currently watching a video series by a guy who started in the 6th tier and is now managing Newcastle. I watch those games and think 'Blimey, I wouldn't have a clue!'

It really depends on what grabs your fancy.

Some people love the challenge of bringing in youth and ultimately prevailing with club talent, others like a rags to riches story. Some may even want to resurrect a fallen giant. So ultimately what makes you happy? A long term save has to be about passion ultimately. Personally I find it really hard to play with my favorite club after a while because it gets boring after the 2nd season.

There are times when I take inspiration from histories, like the story of Torino. Other times I try to replicate league success like Red Star. And there are times when I just want to have a good laugh. Then I choose clubs like:

I think @Nobby_McDonald beat me to the first one on the top of a lot of people's lists:
Deportivo Wanka - 
FC Santa Claus - Finland
Footballaget Fart - Norway
Semen Padang - Indonesia
Dinamo Bender - Belarus
And something you may need to erm...tweak : Deportivo Moron (Argentina)

Youth saves, you have your usual suspects but I know someone who has picked a 3rd division Belgian side and is prepared only to play with their youth players. No signings from outside the club, he will depend entirely on club grown talent. So if you want an interesting save, find something that appeals to you and go for it. You can also head down to the challenges sub forum. There are so many interesting challenges there that may give you a good idea. Ultimately though, nothing beats Dinamo Bender for a beer and a laugh on weekends of play.

Had a lovely save with St. Mirren back in the day with FM14, managed to dethrone Celtic after 10 or so years...

apart from that I recommend NOT using custom databases, for while they can be fun for sure, they can ruin your save even when youre already some seasons in... happened to me a lot in the past, I since refrained from using them

1 hour ago, Carambau said:

apart from that I recommend NOT using custom databases, for while they can be fun for sure, they can ruin your save even when youre already some seasons in... happened to me a lot in the past, I since refrained from using them

That was the past. They're mostly stable now.

51 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

emphasis on mostly. i, very recently, wasted 20 hours on a custom database that should have been preventable

Just now, phnompenhandy said:

Well the likes of Dan and LeoM make it clear they put out works in progress.

if i remember correctly, the file i used was labelled released. no worries though. I've been having fun in my arsenal save...until i ran into a save issue that cost me 6 hours or so, lol. but that one was my fault as i forgot to change my auto save settings back from 3 months. I'm having horrible luck lately

Just now, jcp1417 said:

if i remember correctly, the file i used was labelled released. no worries though. I've been having fun in my arsenal save...until i ran into a save issue that cost me 6 hours or so, lol. but that one was my fault as i forgot to change my auto save settings back from 3 months. I'm having horrible luck lately

A couple of years ago I couldn't load more than 2 or 3 databases; now I've got 25 edit files running, 4 of which are large lower league databases. Not perfect, but I call that progress!

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Heard of quite a lot People whos saves crashed after couple seasons in fm19..then again, it might be their fault.

Don´t mean to discourage you using a good custom file though

On 14/03/2019 at 12:07, enigmatic said:

You've got a few in the third tier for slightly more of a challenge, like Kaiserslautern

1860 Munich are down there too iirc, try and topple Bayern with them...

Em 14/03/2019 em 12:12, LukasZ_VCF disse:

What about clubs like Lausanne, Leiria or Larne with foreground sugar daddy? Anyone tried to get them to the highest level and try to win CL?

I wonder how it works, will they with increased reputation give more and more money ?

Can they leave like after 10-15 seasons because they are too old or something?

Playing with Leiria, got them up from 3rd tier to top level in 2 seasons, trying now to achieve continental competitions and grow from there.

Started unemployed and just about to manage pescara who are rock bottom of serie b! Going to guide them to safety in the 2nd half of the season and then go from there.

Thanks for the reccomendations though :)

wish me luck!!

Archived