Nigeria v Iceland / Friday, 16:00 BST

Armistice

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want Iceland to do well. Odd criticism of them in the last game for being negative. I must have missed all the free flowing attacking football by the other nations, never mind the fact Iceland could have had 3 themselves.

Skulum fara á Íslandi!

Iceland will still play on the counter.

People expect them to win but player for player, Iceland know what they have and can do and they will stick to that. Nigeria will likely have about 55-60% of the ball at least.

Which result makes it most likely Argentina go out?

NIGERIA WIN: Croatia 6, Nigeria 3, Iceland 1, Argentina 1.  

DRAW: Croatia 6, Iceland 2, Nigeria 1, Argentina 1. 

ICELAND WIN: Croatia 6, Iceland 4, Argentina 1, Nigeria 0.

Basically whatever happens they need to beat Nigeria next week and rely on the other result. But if Iceland win tonight Iceland then only need a draw on Matchday 3 to stay ahead of Argentina in the event of an Argentina win. They could potentially even lose to Croatia and stay ahead of Argentina on GD. Any other result today and Iceland may then need to beat Croatia to stay ahead of Argentina. Croatia have already qualified though obvs.

Just now, Pukey said:

If Iceland win I doubt Croatia are going to be going all out for a win when they face each other. A draw in that situation would see Argentina out.

Yeah an Iceland win here would mean both sides playing for the draw. Iceland will be happy to just go through and want to risk crashing out by being greedy.

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

If Iceland win I doubt Croatia are going to be going all out for a win when they face each other. A draw in that situation would see Argentina out.

An Iceland draw is even riskier because Croatia know they can lose and still top the group and might swap 8 or 9 players

14 minutes ago, Pukey said:

France is proabaly going to finish first in their group and Croatia will not gamble with that.

Denmark/Australia is obviously a much easier draw.

Croatia can't really play for the draw on the last matchday if Iceland wins now.
And if Iceland wins, they will have at least 4 GD up on Argentina so they can go and attack Croatia for the first place on the last matchday.

Still, I can easily see a draw here.

If Iceland manage to get to the QFs I wonder if big clubs will start sniffing around their players.

3 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

nigeria for me.

i could get a bunch of 11 sunday league heroes and do what iceland do.

8-0 to nigeria for me please.

Try it.

2 hours ago, Haguey said:

I want Iceland to do well. Odd criticism of them in the last game for being negative. I must have missed all the free flowing attacking football by the other nations, never mind the fact Iceland could have had 3 themselves.

Skulum fara á Íslandi!

Also, what on earth is that supposed to be? :D Let's go Iceland?

3 minutes ago, Icelander83 said:

What people fail to realize is is that our players are quite comfortable playing with the ball if the other team parks the bus. Less so if they press but we'll take 70% uncontested possession if offered it :D

Who would second choice be in goal if Hannes Þór got injured/suspended by the way? Would it be Danish second tier keeper Frederik Schram or new Dijon signing Runar Alex? I'd think it'd be Runar Alex but Schram has more caps so far. Both are probably the long term competition for first choice though as they're both just 23.

1 minute ago, Boltman said:

I think this is the poorest Nigeria team I've seen at a World Cup. Seem to have no plan, and no real leadership or identity.

By far the worst team. A better manage would get more out of them but this fraud just puts them on the pitch and says go. That works against other unorganised African sides who have less quality but drilled sides would pick this team apart

1 minute ago, Heartwork said:

Who would second choice be in goal if Hannes Þór got injured/suspended by the way? Would it be Danish second tier keeper Frederik Schram or new Dijon signing Runar Alex? I'd think it'd be Runar Alex but Schram has more caps so far. Both are probably the long term competition for first choice though as they're both just 23.

Much of a muchness, pretty sure Schram played in a friendly just before the tournament and made a pretty big mistake. Would imagine Rúnar would be next in line but Hannes won't get injured, you'll never keep him out of a game at the world cup :D

1 minute ago, Icondacarver said:

By far the worst team. A better manage would get more out of them but this fraud just puts them on the pitch and says go. That works against other unorganised African sides who have less quality but drilled sides would pick this team apart

Yeah, they give off the vibe of a team just going through the motions. Not necessarily an idictment of the players themselves, but there's just no get up and go, no spark, no intent.

1 minute ago, Icelander83 said:

Much of a muchness, pretty sure Schram played in a friendly just before the tournament and made a pretty big mistake. Would imagine Rúnar would be next in line but Hannes won't get injured, you'll never keep him out of a game at the world cup :D

Well I guess there's a reason why one's playing in the Danish second division while the other just got signed by a Ligue 1 team.

DgTesYTX4AUHb3K.jpg:large

if they did, then Nigeria could get to the knockouts with a draw potentially which would knock Argentina out.  So far Nigeria don't look like they can score, never mind win

4 minutes ago, Icondacarver said:

I suppose in contrast to the "golden generation" thread, we should be asking which teams here are putting out their worst sides in years.

Archived