Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

Difficult to beat :D

Exactly! :D

God you're boring :D

Indeed, people fall asleep when we play. :)

Not quite sure what's worse...your inability to stop drawing or Derby already having 6 more points than they did when they were last in the Prem :) (WTIH)

Believe it or not, they were our only win this season. :D

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, first rant about FM14 (and possibly the first about any FM)

I'm an easy-going guy. I tend to ignore any 'game-breaking' bugs or any talk of things being wrong with the ME, preferring to cope and enjoy the game I paid for.

But the last 5 goals I've conceded on my save have ALL been from bad first touches by my players. Now, if I was Forest Green Rovers, or CD Sabadell or even SAS Epinal (sp?) I could understand and just go 'Ugh' and carry on.

But I SPECIFICALLY bred/bought players that had a good first touch & technique. My midfield is rated as the best in the league. Yet 3 goals in the last game came from bad first touches by the midfield.

Now, again, if the midfielder in question who was responsible for 2 of them was given a 5.6, I would have chalked it down to a bad game (we all have them). But he got an 8.3!!!!

I just don't get it? Is it an new patch? Probably my tactics, I know. But honestly, either say he had a **** game or cut these things out.

The game is perfect. No need for any patches now. :herman:

Yeah but on a serious note, there are some things that need tweaking. When a game like this gets complicated one tweak somewhere can create TWO problems elsewhere.

Personally I'm thinking of editing or creating new competitions to regain my interest in the game. I was thinking of bringing back the Full Members Cup and having the rule that your squad must be ALL ENGLISH. :D

Also bringing back the UEFA Cup and insisting that all team that play in the competition can only play nationals.

Should be interesting.

I remember the days when European competitions limited clubs to playing just three foreign players, which hampered Liverpool as half their team was Scottish.

We were known as the team of Mc's back in the early days :p.

Have there been many career threads using FMC? I took a look and didn't see any. It's my preferred mode and offers a bit of a different challenge. With little control over morale, no individual player training, no control over PPM's, and reduced tactical analysis, it's not "easy mode" as some have come to believe.

I was considering starting a thread for my current FMC save, and perhaps I should have. It's been an interesting one, taking me from Indonesia to Scotland to Holland!

Have there been many career threads using FMC? I took a look and didn't see any. It's my preferred mode and offers a bit of a different challenge. With little control over morale, no individual player training, no control over PPM's, and reduced tactical analysis, it's not "easy mode" as some have come to believe.

I was considering starting a thread for my current FMC save, and perhaps I should have. It's been an interesting one, taking me from Indonesia to Scotland to Holland!

My career thread is using FMC :thup:

• 2 weeks later...

Having just recently purchased FM14 my early impressions are not good, yeah FMC has a nice layout/look about it but the 3D game is still very frustrating, my teams have created loads of chances but the misses are just ridiculous and also errors in other parts of the pitch are quite pathetic.

I started a game with Portsmouth and was sacked after just 16 games.

Having just recently purchased FM14 my early impressions are not good, yeah FMC has a nice layout/look about it but the 3D game is still very frustrating, my teams have created loads of chances but the misses are just ridiculous and also errors in other parts of the pitch are quite pathetic.

I started a game with Portsmouth and was sacked after just 16 games.

I really suggest going to the Tactics Forum, post a tjread about the sort of style you want to play, what you are currently doing, and ask for help. Be willing to accept help and it will improve.

I really suggest going to the Tactics Forum, post a tjread about the sort of style you want to play, what you are currently doing, and ask for help. Be willing to accept help and it will improve.

Ok I might do that, I have no problem accepting help.

I have just started a couple of games so will see how I get on with my tactics then start a thread like you said.

----------------------------------------

Got another issue right now, playing FMC with 3 nations loaded and now at end of season was looking to change what leagues I have but can't for the life of me find out where to do that.

Edit: Ok just found out now, could have made that clearer though, will have to start my career game again now.

Always gutting to lose an unbeaten streak, but when you lose it because you had SEVENTEEN players on international duty, it becomes a real kick in the gentleman's area.

We'd gone 46 games unbeaten domestically.

Hi guys, I've never posted in this section before, but wanted to ask a question.

I'm in my second season with Saint-Etienne and enjoying it, but their club guide in GPTG is pretty inactive. I like to write about my progress (maybe it's the bad writing that has put people off reading/replying) but I'm not sure if I should continue there or whether it would be good to do create a thread in here. Do you generally end up talking to yourself in here? I like feedback, questions on my approach etc. It won't be a journeyman save and will probably last 3-4 seasons.

I can't get a job, have been unemployed for over a year now and getting laughed off by Skrill North/South clubs.:(

Edit - I HAVE A NEW JOB!!!

Get laughed off by clubs in the leagues mentioned above and then get offered a job with a club in the Welsh Premier League.

03xs.jpg

I can't get a job, have been unemployed for over a year now and getting laughed off by Skrill North/South clubs.:(

Take it you had Sunday League Rep? For some reason that makes it really tough to get a job.

Also re rep of the leagues, it also depends on your nationality and other factors as well, and also the rep of the club itself, not just the league.

I believe it has been brought up with SI a few times how tough it is to get a job.

Take it you had Sunday League Rep? For some reason that makes it really tough to get a job.

Also re rep of the leagues, it also depends on your nationality and other factors as well, and also the rep of the club itself, not just the league.

I believe it has been brought up with SI a few times how tough it is to get a job.

tbf, SI is striving for greater realism (see for example the changes they've done to training, contracts, etc.), so it would make sense that a Sunday League footballer would find it difficult to get a job even with Conference clubs. Think they might have to change the reputation algorithms or something.

tbf, SI is striving for greater realism (see for example the changes they've done to training, contracts, etc.), so it would make sense that a Sunday League footballer would find it difficult to get a job even with Conference clubs. Think they might have to change the reputation algorithms or something.

Yup this is true. Though maybe the issue is with the large comparative rep some ex-footballers get when they become Managers.

Anyone know if it's been made easier to sign players if you create your own team and have a reasonable rep in that league along with a sugar daddy? I remember I created a team in Skrill North with 2000 rep and with a foreground sugar daddy and was unable to attract anyone to join me. Even most of the free agents wouldn't join.

Yeah I started with Sunday League rep.

Realism is fair enough but it's a game and if having that rep means you can't get a job at Skrill North/South level, the lowest level without using editor then tbh it's quite stupid, or else might as well call the game Unemployed Football Manager 2014.

Yeah I started with Sunday League rep.

Realism is fair enough but it's a game and if having that rep means you can't get a job at Skrill North/South level, the lowest level without using editor then tbh it's quite stupid, or else might as well call the game Unemployed Football Manager 2014.

It's not the lowest level you can manage at though. There's many available leagues around the World that are far lower rep than the bottom rung in England.

It's not the lowest level you can manage at though. There's many available leagues around the World that are far lower rep than the bottom rung in England.

Yeah I meant the lowest in England obviously there are a load of other leagues around the world with lower reps, how realistic is it if an English manager can't get a job in England's lower levels for him to move thousands of miles around the World and manage even lower rep teams.

It was your choice to start with Sunday League rep so you can't complain if you can't get a job as a result. How many managers didn't have a (semi) professional career to some degree? The only one that springs to my mind is Jose Mourinho.

I had to grudgingly admit when it came in that it's better this way. It was too easy in past games to get a job as a Sunday League manager. In FM13 I was offered the Toronto FC job in the MLS with that rep - that's ridiculous. A Sunday League manager shouldn't be able to get a job in the Skrill regional leagues IMO, but the game has only just changed to that.

It was your choice to start with Sunday League rep so you can't complain if you can't get a job as a result. How many managers didn't have a (semi) professional career to some degree? The only one that springs to my mind is Jose Mourinho.

Even Mourinho played for Rio Ave and Belenenses - hardly pub teams!

It was your choice to start with Sunday League rep so you can't complain if you can't get a job as a result.

Come on really? So I buy a game and want to start with lowest rep and work my way up but can't get a job in the lowest levels (as game is sold) in my home nation, well maybe sunday league rep shouldn't be available for selection if the lowest divs you have loaded are too high for that rep.

Come on really? So I buy a game and want to start with lowest rep and work my way up but can't get a job in the lowest levels (as game is sold) in my home nation, well maybe sunday league rep shouldn't be available for selection if the lowest divs you have loaded are too high for that rep.

I'm with Nobby on the "You selected Sunday League Rep"

But I also agree that if Sunday League Rep is too low then you shouldn't be able to load it. As you have posted above though, you did get a job in Wales, so there were clubs in your loaded divisions that would allow a Sunday League Rep to get a job, so it wouldn't have been blocked when you started the game.

I'm with Nobby on the "You selected Sunday League Rep".

Ok I guess it's a fair point and had I known it would lead to such big problems then I would have set my rep higher, anyway I wasn't expecting loads of offers but was expecting to get a chance with the clubs that are down in low positions like 18th in the Skrill N/S, anyway had worse than low English clubs laughing at me now.

lhce.jpg

They are newly promoted to the 3rd tier in N.Ireland and that is the country I got my first job in at Carrick Rangers and that was 2nd tier, unsuccessful is one thing but laughed off.

I guess I have done enough moaning so better not get started too much on the ME but two very annoying things are throw ins and my keepers holding on to the ball for an age when we are a goal down and time running out.

Things are looking up now anyway as I have two offers from English clubs.:)

Just a thought, but if you want to start in England with a Sunday League rep, why not start the game with only English leagues selected? That way you'll get a job at the level you want, and then add the additional leagues at a later date?

This is my new facebook status...

There are 3 certainties in life: Death, Taxes and Football Manager chairmen behaving like complete idiots and selling by far your most important player for only double his value to the strongest team in the league when you've just gotten into Europe!

Too many good threads around almost make me want to start a long term save. I've never really gotten much into a Journeyman save till now but the stories.....the stories here make me want to create one!

I don't know whether I can be committed to a save though. Started one in FM 12 and started a thread here but real life took over. :(

Too many good threads around almost make me want to start a long term save. I've never really gotten much into a Journeyman save till now but the stories.....the stories here make me want to create one!

I don't know whether I can be committed to a save though. Started one in FM 12 and started a thread here but real life took over. :(

Real life always gets in the way at some point. I tend to update my thread for two weeks, then leave it for two. Most of us understand that's just life.

Archived