Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all.

I haven't posted in this sub-forum for a couple of years now, not since I had a short-lived journeyman save. Think I'll make a (not so) glorious return with my first save of FM15 (the full release). :thup: Will be good to take interest and post in other's threads too, something I've not really done much before. I lurk here now and again but I don't recall the last time I posted in here.

How is the FMCU Fantasy Football league going?

Actual FMCU presence is limited but 10 people is a decent number and I've surprised myself at how well I'm doing given a) I have only done this a few times over the years and not since the 2010 World Cup and b) Only a couple of times has my captain pick really paid off. Managed to spend quite a bit of time in 2nd (and way ahead of the 'veteran' SRL88, even given I think he was away for a bit :D) and am currently only just short of the top 10% globally but I expect that to be a brief high water mark.

Has anyone been having problems with getting a coaching badge?

I'm studying for a National C license in Indonesia after starting without badges. News item said I could expect to complete the course in October. It's now mid-January, and I'm still studying for it.

Has anyone been having problems with getting a coaching badge?

I'm studying for a National C license in Indonesia after starting without badges. News item said I could expect to complete the course in October. It's now mid-January, and I'm still studying for it.

It's a known bug - the team are working on it :) Pretty annoying (was going to start my FMCU thread tonight but having found out I'll be stuck with zero qualifications from the start I changed my mind), but it is what it is - the whole point of a beta, I guess.

I was planning to start a save with Slavia Prague but now beginning to question if that's really the best idea. The reason for it was that Slavia have spent a long time in the shadow of Sparta and are also in a competition which isn't top 10, so provides the challenge of getting them into the top 7 and maybe even further.

However, despite this, Slavia are still the second most successful side historically in the Czech Republic as well as being the second biggest side in Prague (of about 5 teams). So I was thinking of similar challenges from other nations (I could simply take a different Prague side but I had my heart set on Slavia previously so wouldn't want to play against them) - First Vienna from, well, duh, Vienna sprung to mind. The oldest club in the country of Austria, stuck behind two other teams (Rapid and Austria Wien) - they were an integral component of the development of European football, too, which makes them an interesting proposition.They also have the problem of taking RB Salzburg, backed by Red Bull and capable of dominating the league (already won 5 in the last 9 years since their takeover and could be set to win many more with the quality they already have and the money they have backing them). Undoubtedly this is more challenging than Slavia. Austria is the 14th ranked league in Europe whilst the Czech Republic is 15th, so there's little there.

What do people think is more interesting - Slavia Prague or First Vienna? Pretty torn now on which to go for :D Shouldn't have bothered thinking of other teams, put myself in a tough situation now :D

e: FWIW, Slavia aren't the second best team in the Czech Republic. In fact, quite the opposite - since 2009 they haven't managed to finish above 7th, and their lowest finish was last season, at 14th. They're predicted 7th to begin the game. In recent years their finances have been a mess but I think they're finally starting to get it together.

The games i will be doing are

Liverpool - most likely fail and get sacked

Carear/Journeyman - fail miserably mess 5 clubs up just to get going

Stafford Rangers- defiantly fail and give up

Just discovered that First Vienna aren't even a playable game in FM15 :D They got relegated last season (only realised that when I was searching for them just now) so unless I download a database edit to make them playable (which I cba doing) then I'm going with Slavia Praha afterall.

I thought they were still 1st Division (second tier) as their Wiki page says they are - turns out the wiki page hasn't updated to reflect their relegation last season. They got 13 points deducted in total (it was 15 but later changed to 13) and only managed 9 wins in 36 games in total, meaning they went down with 20 points from 36 games (next lowest had 39, so even without the points deduction they were gone).

Shame they've fallen so badly, would've enjoyed managing them. I could holiday til the end of S1 and hope they get promoted (just keep reloading til they do) but that's effort and I want to manage them from the very start.

Decided to check other nations with similar scenarios to what I want but not many fit in. Red Star/Partizan Belgrade the closest one but the two of them are the most dominant Serbian sides by far, so it wouldn't be an immediate challenge. Only a challenge in making the SPL into one of the top 7, especially since they start like 29/30th :D

So Slavia it is, afterall.

Other possibility, and one I've kicked around for a while, is trying to establish a Berlin club in the 1. Bundesliga. Germany's kind of odd in the sense that its capital city really doesn't have an established club in the top flight. Hertha had a 12-year run, but they've been a bit of a yo-yo club in the past 5 years.

Other possibility, and one I've kicked around for a while, is trying to establish a Berlin club in the 1. Bundesliga. Germany's kind of odd in the sense that its capital city really doesn't have an established club in the top flight. Hertha had a 12-year run, but they've been a bit of a yo-yo club in the past 5 years.

Also something I've considered in the past! Union Berlin suit the challenge nicely since they are a 2.BuLi side and are considered the 'lesser' Berlin side (Hertha obviously being the big/main team from the city). Not even sure if there are any other professional Berlin-based football clubs, actually.

The only problem with this challenge is of course that the Bundesliga is an established league and besides making it No.1, there isn't much of a challenge in trying to get it up to the top. Having said that, getting Union Berlin to be the biggest team in Germany would be extremely tough I feel (the Bundesliga is a very tough league to crack in my past experience), nevermind trying to conquer Europe with them...

I came to this thread hoping for answers and you're just posing more possibilities Jason, stop it :mad::D Hmmmm. Will have to think this over. Some definite food for thought :thup:

e: also maybe taking 1860 Munchen to the top. Great stadium already in the Allianz and from a brilliant City but stuck firmly in the shadow of Bayern. Would be just as fun as Union Berlin (who I've just noticed are not called Union Berlin in Fm15 unless you get a name fix) possibly.

It appears Union haven't even been in the Bundesliga before. Think they're an even more attractive prospect now :D

Why not Dynamo Dresden? They used to be really good till Germany was one country and then fell off the map a bit.

Another good team, but don't really fit my criteria of being the 'lesser' of two (or more) teams from a city.

I've decided to start with Union Berlin afterall. :) Will probably put my thread up later tonight, but if not it'll not be until Sunday/Monday before I do it.

That's what Stafford have been doing for years.

haha yeah i agree...the club goes any lower they will be playing in the sunday leagues...although 5th in whatever league we are in now but still time for it to turn bad

I've just had one of the most incredible wins I can remember, I'll let what I've written in the career diary speak for itself...

The game was clearly trolling me as the uncapped Pegorari was given an international call-up by Bulgaria of all teams and left us keeper-less (the two in the youth team were underage) so for the second time in under a year I had to employ an outfielder (defender Baiano) against Corinthians. Serginho went off injured at the start and by then I knew the game was mocking me. Mercifully full-backs Max and Leites gave us a 2-0 lead after 18 minutes but no lead would be safe under these circumstances. Unsurprisingly they scored twice to level it by the break but we took the lead again in the 49th minute from sub defender Leandro. I didn’t expect it to last but we managed to keep the pressure off and were lucky that they had two goals disallowed. What was even more incredible was that I found out after the match that I had accidentally given a 16yr old a debut out of position in defence. Clearly the Corinthians board found it so embarrassing that they sacked their manager.

For a bit of context, the keeper that was called up was an 'emergency signing' after my first-choice got injured for 4 months (the other keeper in the squad being a 37yr old whose sale had already been confirmed at the time of the injury and had gone through by this point), the player who went off injured had been my main goalscorer so far with 5 goals in as many games and he was just the latest of a revolving door of admitedly minor injuries to most of my more important players, hence my 'this is getting silly now' sort of reaction rather than commenting on it as an isolated incident.

In two minds whether to start a career game now or wait until the 7th. Want to either do a save from the lower English Leagues or a similar one in the USA. Or something similar to the A to W challenge but the lower league goals issue is putting me off.

So I started a new thread on here, and then my FM time got swallowed up by real life again. Frustrating. I do miss FM11 sometimes as I could make reasonable progress in an hour or so, while I feel like I'm always hanging around on 13. It doesn't help that my laptop is getting on a bit in relative terms (4 years old now) so despite my envious glances towards many of you playing the new game, I think I'll have to hang fire for a bit before I get FM15.

And Deisler, sure. Especially if you go back to Santarcangelo...

Still can't connect FM to my Twitter account. Been like that for the last 3 or 4 editions now. :D

I've been like this with YouTube for the last few editions - this year I've finally been able to connect it \o/ Will be so good to be able to upload videos now, I can actually try and discuss tactics etc properly :)

Also beginning to hate you a little Jason. Nothing personal - blame Union Berlin :D Save is much harder than I had anticipated. It's a good challenge but I'm losing every second game basically and that's not something I'm used to haha. Sounds stupid but I'm usually more successful on FM than this... don't think my stubbornness at sticking to the 442 helps me much either though tbf, so it's not all on you :lol:

Honestly not experiencing any difficulties whatsoever... goalkeepers seem as good now as they did on the pre-release beta update (the one released about 4 days ago, that is) and I'm actually seeing less goals if anything :lol: 5 goals (in total, for both teams combined) in my last 6 games gives you a pretty decent idea of how 'goal happy' things are atm :(

Apparently there was very little changes between the beta (updated version) and the full release, with the only main/real change being the bug that gave GKs 0.1 ratings.

Also beginning to hate you a little Jason. Nothing personal - blame Union Berlin :D Save is much harder than I had anticipated. It's a good challenge but I'm losing every second game basically and that's not something I'm used to haha. Sounds stupid but I'm usually more successful on FM than this... don't think my stubbornness at sticking to the 442 helps me much either though tbf, so it's not all on you :lol:

It's about time you had some struggles. ;)

Now that I have been released from hospital, I have had a chance to sit down and play FM2015. I must say I am very disappointed in it. I just cannot get into it. I do not like the new UI at all and there appears to be a lack of "balance". ie, ridiculous sackings etc.

Not sure I can stick with this garbage.

Is it just me? Or are there a lot of sackings this year on FMCU??

Yeah, I'm now in Feb 2018 and I have seen quite a few of the same clubs become available 2/3 times, also had about 15/20 offers from clubs last season.

Some of those are because managers have left to take over at other clubs and also retirements.

Finally landed my National C license. Was told it would take about 4 months, was more like 8.

:lol:

I started my Continental Pro License on my Union save around August of 2015. I was told it would take 12 months. I was sacked in March 2016 (so what? 7 months later?) and I have my Pro License. I didn't get a news item about passing it but I definitely have it... not sure what happened tbh. Thought that maybe the club continued to pay for my course but that'd be: 1. weird; 2. nonsensical so I figure I must have passed without realising (either because the game didn't give me a message or I simply didn't notice the message).

I could see that. I imagine they would have paid the cost up front.

But yeah, not getting a news item about it is a bit cuckoo. :D

Oh yeah, that's a good point! :D Didn't think of it like that. Most likely what happened then... I maybe passed the course when I was applying for jobs... I genuinely wasn't reading anything unless it was a job offer haha.

Oh yeah, that's a good point! :D Didn't think of it like that. Most likely what happened then... I maybe passed the course when I was applying for jobs... I genuinely wasn't reading anything unless it was a job offer haha.

"Mr. Downie, I'm with the FA and I'm calling to inform you that you passed the course. Congratulations on your new license."

"GIZZA JOB!"

:D

I agree with Tom. It's a sad day on my FM13 save as Susanto is retiring at 38. He wants to be a coach and I'm sure he'd be interested but I already have too much coaches. He need three goals in his final league game to get to 500 league goals. He scored four which also turned out(I think) to be his first hat-trick in ages. His overall figures in the league were;

[b]League Appearances       League Goals           Assists         PoM     Av Rating[/b]
513                      501                    169             105     7.60

He was appointed Indonesia Vice Captain on the 27th December 2050 before becoming captain on the 8th July 2052. He remained as captain until 26th December 2056. He played in 132 games for his country scoring 77 goals before retiring on the 20th November 2057.

I signed him at the start of the 2040-41 season for £9k and that was also my only transfer fee for a number of years. He was 16 at the time. He was appointed Persibom Vice Captain on the 21st September 2048. He was appointed Captain on the 20th September 2049 before he was removed as Captain and became vice captain on the 19th September 2050. He was reappointed captain on the 18th September 2056 where he has remained until the present date of the 22nd June 2062. He'll retire shortly. In all competitions as of the end of last season he's played in 647 games and scored 632 goals at an average rating of 7.71. He's played in 39 games this season scoring 28 times.

Best striker I've ever had.

I've had a few I'd have loved to immortalize, probably a bit too far back though. As my current long-term career draws is likely to be my last I have actually thought up of a 'Dream Team' in any case. Maybe it should be a section in the Hall of Fame or a revival of the 'FMCU Best XI' thread we had a while back?

I think a HoF thread should definitely be created. There was one in Nep's Youth Player Project. Surely a subforum which is much more active than one specific thread will get a lot more HoF players.

And there should HOF voting and what not. Like how the Hockey Hall of Fame votes players and builders in. :D

Legendary players in our saves should be recognized. :thup:

Yeah, a HoF ballot where only, say, 5 (or another number, whatever) players from each version of FM can be voted in. That'd be cool. We all get a vote each to rank our top X candidates and the top X players take their place in the HoF (the manager can then write out screenshots/details etc, maybe even record some great goals or whatever).

Archived