FM18: Liverpool FC - Pace Abuse

cezar.sl

1 hour ago, A Double K said:

I play both as IF (A) too.

So it's: 

striker                              role of striker depends on who it is - so F9 for Firmino or Fekir/ CF (A or S) for Dolberg, AF for Solanke and P for Sturridge)

IF (A)         AP (s)        IF (A)

DLP (D/S) DLP (D/S)             defending or support role depending on game and who is playing in the roles

FB (S)  LCB     BPC    FB (S)

GK

Just seems as though they don't run with the ball or make any proper runs for some reason. I'll tinker about with the player instructions again and hopefully get it working as I like.

Funnily enough though, I'm sitting top of the league, 1 point ahead, with 9 games gone.

How about Team Instructions, Mentality, Shape, Player Instructions?

I would use one of the IFs on Support duty - on the same side use one of the MCs on Defend duty and fullback on Attack or WB on Support.

How are the rest of the player performing? It is interesting that you use 3 playmakers in the middle. How is their contribution?

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I promised I'd post some screenshots after people were curious as to how well I was doing after listing my tactics a few posts prior. I'm telling you, this play style works. The first two screenshots show how dominant my team has been. The final two screen shots are sorted by average score. Notice how I only have two first team players below a 7.0 rating. Everyone else is 7.0+. I'm not posting this to brag or show I'm some FM savant. I just hopes this helps people and give the tactics that I posted earlier a try.

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

On 12/11/2017 at 16:01, paddypower said:

Sure, as I said it's really simple:

4231 (2 CMs rather than DMs)

Complete Forward (S)

Raumdeuter (A) Advanced Playmaker (S) Winger (A)

DLP (D) BWM (S)

FB (A) CD (D) CD (D) FB(S)

GK(D)

Control

Flexible

Play out of Defence

Push Higher Up

Close Down More

If we start poorly, and the other teams midfielders are breaking on us I drop the CMs into DM. And if I'm defending a lead in a big game with 20mins left I drop the wide players into LM and RM, seems to work fine

Same tactic in the second season

20171116211321_1.jpg

Barca wants Matip in the first season January window. I bought De Ligt at the start of the season and Lovren is playing amazing. I'm fine with Lovren, De Ligt, Klavan and Joe Gomez (on loan currently) going forward.

How much should I put Matip's worth at initially? He's valued at $43 million (US Dollars). I want much more then that for him. I just don't know what would be an acceptable initial transfer market price...

EDIT: Nevermind, I settled on $60 million. Anything higher and Matip wouldn't accept that valuation because, "nobody would sign me for that much". So $60 million it is.

58 minutes ago, MontyOnTheRun said:

No offense mate, but your Liverpool thread should never have been created! It's mainly a cut and paste job from Wikipedia. Nothing personal written from you that would inspire a person to start a Liverpool save. What's even more shocking is that you've had since 9th of November to adjust the player assessments and give your thoughts on the squad - still there is nothing! It's like it was somehow prestigeous for you to be the one to create the Liverpool thread... it's not prestigeous when what you create even a 12 year old could do better.

I appreciate the need for having a Liverpool thread so that people can discuss their Liverpool saves. However, there already was a thread on Liverpool in this forum section (albeit not an official thread) and you could have left the discussion there until you were ready to make a proper Liverpool thread. 

This year's Liverpool squad in FM has got so much promise and excitement with the new players, and the young talents that have finally been rated properly by the Liverpool researcher. Not to mention the fact that they're now back in the CL!

You have over 1000 posts on this forum and should probably think about quality ahead of quantity... this especially goes when you're creating official threads that people will have to look at for over a year!

Next year I'm creating the official Liverpool thread and I don't want to hear any moaning from you about it. Capiche?!

“No offence mate”....

and then proceeds to be pretty offensive. 

7 hours ago, MontyOnTheRun said:

No offense mate, but your Liverpool thread should never have been created! It's mainly a cut and paste job from Wikipedia. Nothing personal written from you that would inspire a person to start a Liverpool save. What's even more shocking is that you've had since 9th of November to adjust the player assessments and give your thoughts on the squad - still there is nothing! It's like it was somehow prestigeous for you to be the one to create the Liverpool thread... it's not prestigeous when what you create even a 12 year old could do better.

I appreciate the need for having a Liverpool thread so that people can discuss their Liverpool saves. However, there already was a thread on Liverpool in this forum section (albeit not an official thread) and you could have left the discussion there until you were ready to make a proper Liverpool thread. 

This year's Liverpool squad in FM has got so much promise and excitement with the new players, and the young talents that have finally been rated properly by the Liverpool researcher. Not to mention the fact that they're now back in the CL!

You have over 1000 posts on this forum and should probably think about quality ahead of quantity... this especially goes when you're creating official threads that people will have to look at for over a year!

Next year I'm creating the official Liverpool thread and I don't want to hear any moaning from you about it. Capiche?!

Bro, it's not that serious. Other posters have successfully used this thread to talk about their own LFC saves. That's all that matters, right? The ability to bounce ideas off of other people going through the same thing as yourself.

Take a xanax, man!

8 hours ago, MontyOnTheRun said:

No offense but this is rude on your part and it can be address via PM. And what's with the "capiche" at the end? Are you a mobster or something? 

11 hours ago, MontyOnTheRun said:

Wow... uncalled for. And what is the point? Players are contributing and everything is chilled and good.

On 16/11/2017 at 19:39, yonko said:

How about Team Instructions, Mentality, Shape, Player Instructions?

I would use one of the IFs on Support duty - on the same side use one of the MCs on Defend duty and fullback on Attack or WB on Support.

How are the rest of the player performing? It is interesting that you use 3 playmakers in the middle. How is their contribution?

Team instructions depends on who I'm playing - either standard or control, sometimes counter. Mainly changing between flexible/fluid shape and only some players with personal instructions. I've been tinkering with the team instructions too - can't remember what but will keep playing around with it. Appreciate the help!

I tried one of IFs on support, or whenever Couts plays there he is on support. I've shuffled the MCs about - one on BWM now and the other DLP (D), and it's okay so far, in the one to two games I've played with it - not a large sample size but hey, any improvements are welcome lol.

Interestingly, the other players are all averaging 7+ but the wingers are below that, above 6.5 though. Salah only has 1 goal and Mane has like 2 or something and I'm approaching December '17. But even up top, not that many goals. Doesn't help that I don't have a lot of goals in total - Dolberg and Fekir are both on 6 a piece, with 4 of Fekir's from penalties - seems like I need to tinker around more really. 

I'm still in the top 4, 2 points off the top I think.

14 minutes ago, A Double K said:

Team instructions depends on who I'm playing - either standard or control, sometimes counter. Mainly changing between flexible/fluid shape and only some players with personal instructions. I've been tinkering with the team instructions too - can't remember what but will keep playing around with it. Appreciate the help!

I tried one of IFs on support, or whenever Couts plays there he is on support. I've shuffled the MCs about - one on BWM now and the other DLP (D), and it's okay so far, in the one to two games I've played with it - not a large sample size but hey, any improvements are welcome lol.

Interestingly, the other players are all averaging 7+ but the wingers are below that, above 6.5 though. Salah only has 1 goal and Mane has like 2 or something and I'm approaching December '17. But even up top, not that many goals. Doesn't help that I don't have a lot of goals in total - Dolberg and Fekir are both on 6 a piece, with 4 of Fekir's from penalties - seems like I need to tinker around more really. 

You do not have to play them on Attack duty to get them scoring goals. With Attack duty and Control mentality they are probably out of the plays often. Put both of them on Support duty and add roaming. Get them to move about. Are they getting in scoring positions and missing chances or are they missing in action in general?

1 hour ago, yonko said:

You do not have to play them on Attack duty to get them scoring goals. With Attack duty and Control mentality they are probably out of the plays often. Put both of them on Support duty and add roaming. Get them to move about. Are they getting in scoring positions and missing chances or are they missing in action in general?

Will give it a try - cheers. Bit of both really, missing chances but mostly missing in action in general. 

4 hours ago, A Double K said:

If it's any help, here's how I've mostly lined up in my first two seasons (tactics-wise, my squad have been overhauled a bit)

5a0f9a0078874_Liverpool_Overview.thumb.png.89cf569615bc06a2d4e396f7619303b5.png5a0f9a02b3c1b_Liverpool_Overview-2.thumb.png.16ccf7776b9432439fc30ba675832b40.png

Salah and Mane have both been great for me:

5a0f9a465bf6e_MohamedSalah_HistoryCareerStats.thumb.png.2727bd0d8607ff673fa3a2c29e3609af.png5a0f9a4933135_SadioMan_HistoryCareerStats.thumb.png.a5d535fd2d061d4297709dd213445aa8.png

17 hours ago, MontyOnTheRun said:

Just who the hell do you think you are? :lol:

22 hours ago, MontyOnTheRun said:

The only thing  I agree with in here is the squad should have been done by now but the rest is uncalled for other threads copy  Wikipedia as well 

I really want to buy Arthur and Diawara, but with Keita coming next season, and with the amount of good midfield players we have, its really hard to justify buying them if they wont play often enough.

Im thinking of loaning them out for a season, then selling Milner, Wijnaldum and Lallana next season, but Wijn and Lallana are good also :(

6 hours ago, Tullekunstner said:

Anyway... here's my third season transfers. Probably the most I've ever spent and sold for on any FM game.

5a10756e72f87_Liverpool_TransferHistory-2.thumb.png.9984b8a69037c741aa75e1d247d1af20.png

So far things are panning out nicely:

5a107737b86c7_Liverpool_SeniorFixtures.thumb.png.4c238972b99728612468ef5bfa81e92c.png

I got a question for you. I've seen your posts and how many players you've sold and bought. How how are your dynamics at the club? Anytime I even think about selling someone I always get warned, "this guy is very influential and could have a negative impact on the locker room". Is it overblown? How is your club getting along? Or does winning fix everything, like in real life sports?

16 minutes ago, TheYurpman said:

I got a question for you. I've seen your posts and how many players you've sold and bought. How how are your dynamics at the club? Anytime I even think about selling someone I always get warned, "this guy is very influential and could have a negative impact on the locker room". Is it overblown? How is your club getting along? Or does winning fix everything, like in real life sports?

Hasn't really been a problem for me. I've gotten players asking me why I sold X because X was an influential member of the squad, but they've always agreed with me when I've told them "X wasn't good enough" or "we have more influential players in the squad". I've noticed I have a lot of "highly influential players" though, not quite sure how it works right now so that might become a problem somewhere down the line, but I kind of doubt it. Keeping an eye on it either way.

I try to buy as professional players as possible, and always tutor the younger players with highly professional tutors (milner, lallana and hendo are great for this for instance). Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

5a10d6a3bb041_Liverpool_Hierarchy.thumb.png.f93418e420db27fc031d01105f896510.png5a10d64e61800_Liverpool_SocialGroups.thumb.png.83e87760ca52be6f7db5d7998b939cc5.png5a10d64b3ae4c_Liverpool_Overview-3.thumb.png.20a85b744ad8b69f63d7c76d70d4371c.png

8 hours ago, BoobyBlah said:

Does anyone else just buy players because they are transfer listed? I got Diego Jota for 5m, Dani Ceballos for 2.5m and Alban Lafont for 23m. And Lafont is the only one I actually plan on using, the others will be sold in a year or so just as a profit.

I've done that at times in previous saves 

10 hours ago, BoobyBlah said:

Does anyone else just buy players because they are transfer listed? I got Diego Jota for 5m, Dani Ceballos for 2.5m and Alban Lafont for 23m. And Lafont is the only one I actually plan on using, the others will be sold in a year or so just as a profit.

Yeah i do that too.

Also look at players about to run out of contract. I will usually send them out on loan if i dont plan to use them to at least make some money before i sell them.

I also buy youngsters in cheap. If they dont work out i will just sell for a profit.

Has anyone found the swap position player instruction at all? I cant find it anywhere!

Was wanted to have Mane and Salah (or any 2 wingers) swap positions during the match like you could in previous versions.

Edit: nm found it, it in the position instead of personalized instructions in the player tab next to overview.

I've finally started my Liverpool save but progressing very slowly through the pre-season friendlies. I decided to start without transfers in the first window. The squad is good enough in FM to get through the first half of the season until the winter transfer window opens. My shortlist includes the usual suspects:

De Ligt, Rugani, Romagnoli, Laporte for defense - most likely it will be De Ligt as he is the youngest, the cheapest and can be trained to play DM as well.

Dolberg and Pellegri for the attack and my personal favorite Dele Alli for midfield.

The squad doesn't need much reinforcements though. Most players are top quality, young enough and there are plenty of exciting prospects to develop. I will focus on the home grown players who look properly rated this edition. 

3 hours ago, yonko said:

I've finally started my Liverpool save but progressing very slowly through the pre-season friendlies. I decided to start without transfers in the first window. The squad is good enough in FM to get through the first half of the season until the winter transfer window opens. My shortlist includes the usual suspects:

De Ligt, Rugani, Romagnoli, Laporte for defense - most likely it will be De Ligt as he is the youngest, the cheapest and can be trained to play DM as well.

Dolberg and Pellegri for the attack and my personal favorite Dele Alli for midfield.

The squad doesn't need much reinforcements though. Most players are top quality, young enough and there are plenty of exciting prospects to develop. I will focus on the home grown players who look properly rated this edition. 

I kept the first transfer window open and immediately signed de Ligt and Dolberg. It's paid off in an immense way. Sturridge can't stay healthy and Dolberg, with some training, is good enough to start by mid-season. De Ligt is already good enough to start when you sign him and he's a great rotation piece. Also, expect Matip and Lovren to try to leave the club to go to Barca/Madrid/PSG/etc. If you sign de Ligt, you can slide him right in to the starting eleven if Matip or Lovren leave.

11 minutes ago, TheYurpman said:

I kept the first transfer window open and immediately signed de Ligt and Dolberg. It's paid off in an immense way. Sturridge can't stay healthy and Dolberg, with some training, is good enough to start by mid-season. De Ligt is already good enough to start when you sign him and he's a great rotation piece. Also, expect Matip and Lovren to try to leave the club to go to Barca/Madrid/PSG/etc. If you sign de Ligt, you can slide him right in to the starting eleven if Matip or Lovren leave.

I have De Ligt and Dolberg in my save with Barca, so I know they are ready to step in. And I know the big teams will come for certain players. Lovren can go, but the rest I will try to hang on to. 

Just started my 2nd season on my lfc save. Brought in Icardi for 74m upfront but add ons too around 112m

Using Knaps 4231 barca tactic which saw me finish runner up in the league. 

Hoping too push on from my promising first season. Brought in Goretzka, Tierney, Keita, Leno and Icardi.

I'm close to getting fired midway through first season. Sold Mignolet for Timo Horn perhaps it was a bad decision. I'm playing 4231 tried different versions of the tactics mentioned in this thread (especially yurpman), it just doesn't work for my game. So far 5 wins 1 draw 7 defeats and most goals against in the league.

I've lost every away game I've played. 0-5 UTD and 1-6 Brighton is the worst so far.

Ok, so update, 

I started my season with the first window off, thats a first time for me normally its open but i thought i would make it more challenging... well we stormed the league breaking records too.. Mane Salah and Firminho all hit 15-20 goals and assists. Sturridge also had a fantastic strike rate scoring 15 or so times in as many games but he is made of glass.

my first transfers were a couple of 15 year olds from the free agents who are now coming along nicely in season 3. But back to season 1 and in Jan i signed Rugani and Pellegri. Rugani was a bit part player as i had strong links with Matip Lovren and Matip Gomez. TAA had been a revelation down the right.

My tactics were a narrow 433, 4231 and a 4330. We finished the league season unbeaten and won EVERYTHING which i thought was amazing.

Second season I bought in De Ligt but was a bit stupid and didnt realise Ajax wanted to loan him back for 6 months D'oh! So i made a quick loan of Caldara who started off well but despite being considered consistent had a real bad end of season.

Ozil (free) Bernd Leno (WOW) Kieta obviously. Ruben Neves I couldnt resist and Garath Bale for a small 38 million. (dont rate him irl but on FM he is superb)

I also Upped my interest in signing Leo Messi sent scouts ect watched him personally ect. Made the usual bids getting rejected ect..

Sold Mane to Real for a massive 101million. 65 upfront annoyingly. 

Second season in the league i went unbeaten for a combined 66 games then got battered 2-0 by near bottom SUNDERLAND!!! was fuming. Player performances that really suprised me were:

Salah.. 33 goals and over 10 assists.

Pellegri.. 18 goals in around 24 games and a few assists

Leno 30 clean sheets overall.

More to write but wife needs me!  

3 hours ago, TheYurpman said:

How much did you get de Ligt for if you don’t mind me asking? I bought him for 14m in my first save all up front.

restarted again as made a huge error in my first game! 

Am trying to sign him in my seco d save and I can’t get Ajax to budge below 36m now. I have unsettled him but still no joy!

on a plus not though I did get de Vrij for 15m all up front from Lazio as he is in last year of co tract!!

I'm in the January transfer window of season one and I just got an initial offer for a total of $94 million and 20% profit of next sale for Sadio Mane from Barca (US dollars). Madrid is also interested and I expect them to send an offer any day. I'm torn on what I should do. I haven't targeted or bought any AM yet. Yet I would still have Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Salah, Ox, Dolberg and Woodburn (currently in the Under 23 squad) who can all play different AM positions. And if I sell Mane I could try to bring in another AM.

Mane has played 22 games across all competitions with 9 goals, 8 assists and a 7.51 overall rating. He's obviously been very good. Any suggestions?

4 hours ago, gmulv said:

How much did you get de Ligt for if you don’t mind me asking? I bought him for 14m in my first save all up front.

restarted again as made a huge error in my first game! 

Am trying to sign him in my seco d save and I can’t get Ajax to budge below 36m now. I have unsettled him but still no joy!

on a plus not though I did get de Vrij for 15m all up front from Lazio as he is in last year of co tract!!

I signed de Ligt in the first transfer window for $16 million (US dollars). I also started my save during the beta and just continued it over to the full release. Maybe they raised the price after the beta?

1 hour ago, TheYurpman said:

I signed de Ligt in the first transfer window for $16 million (US dollars). I also started my save during the beta and just continued it over to the full release. Maybe they raised the price after the beta?

Hmm my first save was not beta when I got him for 14m. However it was before the last patch. Maybe that explains it? 

Lallana came back from injury, played 20min with U23, got injured again for 3 weeks.

Sturridge get injured every two games he plays, I'm thinking of selling them both but I like them IRL so...

I didn't bought Dolberg but I bought Werner (From RBL) for nearly 60M€. Yes that's a lot but that's also 13 goals and 6 assist in 12 games. I would recommend him to everyone. 

Hey everyone, great thread as always. Check in on this during the start of most FM's! I got the game over the weekend having not played the Beta and am pleasantly surprised by it. I have a question that I have posted on the main forum but most probably just look at it and laugh at my idiocy so I thought I'd come here. As displayed in some screen shots of tactics above, how do I get the "pitch" on the tactics screen to get smaller so I can include more columns for information alongside the players? I can only fit 2 columns on with it's default setting. You can obviously fit more in but need to reduce the pitch for that to happen. There is a "reduce" tab but that shrinks it too much....

Just finished 1st season, won the league, fa cup and league cup with a 4231 formation. Playing Firmino up top but struggling to get much out of him. Mane and salah as inside forwards are doing great, both got about 20 goals and numerous assists for the season. Coutinho as AP behind Firmino is doin ok but nothing special, wouldn't be heartbroken to get rid of him. Question is how are people getting goals out of Firmino, he's only got 14 all year for me in my side that is dominating games. I've been negotiating to sign kane, Icardi or dybala this summer and can get whichever one I want but would rather spend the money elsewhere if there's a way to get Firmino firing?

18 hours ago, TheYurpman said:

I'm in the January transfer window of season one and I just got an initial offer for a total of $94 million and 20% profit of next sale for Sadio Mane from Barca (US dollars). Madrid is also interested and I expect them to send an offer any day. I'm torn on what I should do. I haven't targeted or bought any AM yet. Yet I would still have Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Salah, Ox, Dolberg and Woodburn (currently in the Under 23 squad) who can all play different AM positions. And if I sell Mane I could try to bring in another AM.

Mane has played 22 games across all competitions with 9 goals, 8 assists and a 7.51 overall rating. He's obviously been very good. Any suggestions?

Ask for $120m and sell if they pay it. You do not need to buy replacement with the players you have. Give Woodburn playing time and I bet you he will become better than Mane. He already is at the start in some attributes anyway. 

21 hours ago, craigd84 said:

Ok, so update, 

I started my season with the first window off, thats a first time for me normally its open but i thought i would make it more challenging... well we stormed the league breaking records too.. Mane Salah and Firminho all hit 15-20 goals and assists. Sturridge also had a fantastic strike rate scoring 15 or so times in as many games but he is made of glass.

my first transfers were a couple of 15 year olds from the free agents who are now coming along nicely in season 3. But back to season 1 and in Jan i signed Rugani and Pellegri. Rugani was a bit part player as i had strong links with Matip Lovren and Matip Gomez. TAA had been a revelation down the right.

My tactics were a narrow 433, 4231 and a 4330. We finished the league season unbeaten and won EVERYTHING which i thought was amazing.

Second season I bought in De Ligt but was a bit stupid and didnt realise Ajax wanted to loan him back for 6 months D'oh! So i made a quick loan of Caldara who started off well but despite being considered consistent had a real bad end of season.

Ozil (free) Bernd Leno (WOW) Kieta obviously. Ruben Neves I couldnt resist and Garath Bale for a small 38 million. (dont rate him irl but on FM he is superb)

I also Upped my interest in signing Leo Messi sent scouts ect watched him personally ect. Made the usual bids getting rejected ect..

Sold Mane to Real for a massive 101million. 65 upfront annoyingly. 

Second season in the league i went unbeaten for a combined 66 games then got battered 2-0 by near bottom SUNDERLAND!!! was fuming. Player performances that really suprised me were:

Salah.. 33 goals and over 10 assists.

Pellegri.. 18 goals in around 24 games and a few assists

Leno 30 clean sheets overall.

More to write but wife needs me!  

Would be interesting to know more about the tactics you used. Even if we have a pretty decent squad with lots of talent winning everything in the first season is not easy!

@Blinklys You are right it definitely wasnt easy BUT it wasnt hard.

What i suggest is getting Hendo to micro manage the teams requests, I play 2 main tactics and one occasional tactic.

433 narrow is intense but my 4 1 2 2 1 isnt its a very slow methodical game, using this against teams position 12 and under was very good.

It is also very important to use "aggressive: I expect a win" EVERY GAME! for instance I was away to Spurs, 1-nil up.. we had ten or so shots to there under 3... I STILL said this " Aggressive: I am not happy with the way you are playing" I had almost all green's (though that isnt always best its about context) and my team went out scored one more and played brilliantly. 

3 hours ago, yonko said:

Ask for $120m and sell if they pay it. You do not need to buy replacement with the players you have. Give Woodburn playing time and I bet you he will become better than Mane. He already is at the start in some attributes anyway. 

Thanks for the advice. I got them to offer a total of $127 million and still am waiting for Madrid to send an offer. If Madrid doesn't, I'm selling Mane to Barca.

On 14/11/2017 at 12:20, A Double K said:

Yikes, thanks - best of luck to you too! Not sure if you've got it tougher since RBL > Salzburg. Let us know how you get on.

Sorry for the late reply, had not much time to play with having work and awkward shift pattern :( but this is how i'm doing, i've qualified for the knockout round with one game to go, close group but I made it. happy days :)

20171121013733_1.thumb.jpg.7a65bc73dcb5f2d8aaeb3de4083b9f20.jpg

Archived