Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

ajw10

Wenger is finished. Needs to go, but the board won't sack him and I doubt Wenger has the dignity to resign

I think he'd probably go if we finish outside top 4. If we do and things struggle on next season the atmosphere gets so unpleasant I think he'd do the decent thing.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...he has no goodwill left in the bank next season' date=' a slow start or a poor run of form and it just becomes unpleasant for him.[/quote']

True, but I've heard that for season after season now.

We always seem to hit these 'no second chances', but then we get a few wins and the unrest dissipates, then we lose again, and the whole cycle begins once more.

I think this might be the worst Arsenal team Wenger has put together.

It's not really though, in recent years we've had a lot worse. That's what makes this even more frustrating. He should be getting so much more from this team but isn't.

I've been one of his loyalist supporters but even now I think Wenger needs to go.

Who comes in if he goes btw

Simione keeps getting mentioned.

Play the long game and take a punt at Bergkamp?

It's not as easy as some people say though I admit. From a players point of view Wenger has still been a draw to the club. Players like Ozil and Sanchez wouldn't have joined us with anyone in charge.

You could probably up the threads from the last few years and around this time there would be the same dejection. No real meltdowns though as I suppose it just become habit form us. No one is surprised.

Lots of questions about who would we get in to replace him. To be honest, I don't know, but I'm just so sick of the same excuses, same mistakes, that I would gladly take anyone just for a change. The whole 'be careful what you wish for' is of course a fair comment but the difference between us and, say, Man Utd, is that SAF left after winning the league, not scratching around for 4th place again, which is where we are heading. Maybe it will take a few seasons of rebuilding, but if there are signs of progress, it surely better than the what we are seeing now.

"Be careful what you wish for" isn't really a valid argument for not getting rid of an underachieving manager. Yeah there's a chance it might not work out but there's just as much chance, if not better, that it will. And surely it's better than watching the predictable, monotonous dance Arsenal do every year? As Retro said earlier, all Arsenal seasons just follow the same pattern now, same sequence of events on permanent repeat. Wenger's become too comfortable now, same excuses every year and he keeps getting away with it.

It's frustrating to watch as a neutral so I can only imagine imagine what it's like as a fan!

"Be careful what you wish for" isn't really a valid argument for not getting rid of an underachieving manager. Yeah there's a chance it might not work out but there's just as much chance, if not better, that it will. And surely it's better than watching the predictable, monotonous dance Arsenal do every year? As Retro said earlier, all Arsenal seasons just follow the same pattern now, same sequence of events on permanent repeat. Wenger's become too comfortable now, same excuses every year and he keeps getting away with it.

It's frustrating to watch as a neutral so I can only imagine imagine what it's like as a fan!

Indeed. I'm under no illusions that replacing Wenger could be followed by a very tough period where we struggle to match what we've achieved even in the last few seasons, but we have to do something to break this spell. Finishing top 4 each season is a good achievement but there seems to be this feeling around the club that it's all we can achieve even when presented with a gilt-edged opportunity like this season.

I just want to enjoy watching us again and I really don't at the moment - I feel obliged to watch rather than compelled.

on the bright side, given the way the results went last night it could have been a lot worse for you guys.

You really need to beat the spuds in the weekend. You can't lose 3 in a row, when's the last time that happened?

Lost 3 in a row including Barca and that hasn't even happened for 4 or 5 years, I read

ohh so it could be 4! :eek:

They were pretty ordinary last night, but we played on the counter, which is not exactly the Arsenal style.

Indeed. I'm under no illusions that replacing Wenger could be followed by a very tough period where we struggle to match what we've achieved even in the last few seasons, but we have to do something to break this spell. Finishing top 4 each season is a good achievement but there seems to be this feeling around the club that it's all we can achieve even when presented with a gilt-edged opportunity like this season.

I just want to enjoy watching us again and I really don't at the moment - I feel obliged to watch rather than compelled.

That is the biggest issue i have, i just don't enjoy anything that is going on with the club right now. It's all so stale.

I think the only way he will go is if we finish outside the top 4. Regardless of whether Spurs or Leicester win the league, that would have been the minimum target and if he achieves that, then I don't think the board would act.

Then we'll just get the reports of a war chest available, looking for players to improve the squad, some players returning form injury blah blah blah.

• SI Staff

Arsenal need some leaders in their team and Wenger's recruitment has been pretty poor overall. There is some fantastic individual talent in the squad but it's just lacking a bit of fight.

I think leaders is a tricky debate because its such a nebulous concept. But for sure we do miss our best players stepping up and producing a moment of magic to win a game and drag everyone along with them. Henry was able to do that for example. Is that leadership or him just being a really good player who could produce when required?

• SI Staff
Disagree, here's why: https://t.co/EazrALGXfK

Disagree, here's why: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/charlie-adam-reveals-arsenal-dont-7469785

I'm not talking about a limited player who is good at shouting. But communication in football is key. The goalkeeper should be helping out his defenders, telling them where to position themselves, where attackers are going. Similarly the defence should be helping the midfielders out. Sounds like Arsenal aren't good communicators on the pitch.

Despite Wenger's tactical woes and performances, our biggest miss is no doubt Santi Cazorla. Something is missing from our midfield and Ramsey isn't capable of providing that.

Agree without Cazorla partnering Coquelin there is a massive gap between defence and midfield. Cazorla and Coquelin are often close to each other where as Ramsey and Coquelin play too far apart.

Arsenal need some leaders in their team and Wenger's recruitment has been pretty poor overall. There is some fantastic individual talent in the squad but it's just lacking a bit of fight.

The problem there is no leadership and motivation coming from the manager, no matter who they were before signing they soon conform to the arsenal way of bottling.

• SI Staff
Well that's nonsense as Flamini is incredibly vocal and pointy and tells people what to do a lot.

That hasn't helped at all. :D

Cech is a "leader" yet Gabriel still was doing his own thing against United. Easily would rather world class players than leaders.
The problem there is no leadership and motivation coming from the manager, no matter who they were before signing they soon conform to the arsenal way of bottling.

Maybe there's a lack of team spirit, they all do their own thing and don't listen to each other and there is no authority from the manager? There is something not working anyway as Arsenal should be coasting the league this year.

Yeah I'm tired of the "but who would we place him with" argument now.

It sort of reminds me of one of my mates. He was living with his ex and was really miserable as the relationship was a complete car-crash but it was hard for him to leave her as they'd been together 3 years and she'd go proper mental if he ever brought up a "break" or him moving out for some space but staying together to try and make it work. He was at a point where if he did move out he would've been rendered homeless as living with his dad wouldn't be convenient for work and his mum had given his room to his little brother. In the end despite knowing it would **** up his life for a few months he moved out and ended it with her.

He spent several months sleeping on the sofa at his mums place whilst having to cycle to work at 4am every other morning just to make it to work in time. But fast forward 6 months later and he's managed to save up and sort out a garage conversion at his mums so he has his own room there again, got a new job, bought a car and now been accepted into uni.

TL;DR - sometimes you have to go through some bad times to get back to the good times. But it's still better than sticking in a situation that you know is bad and will not improve.

Problem with Alexis and everyone else is that there's too much pressure on them so in turn they are forcing their play, trying to play at unsustainable pace whilst clutching and thrashing at every chance in the box.

Is Alexis saying he himself lacks hunger because he's been one of our worst players this season.

Those two things aren't necessarily linked. You can have hunger and desire and still not play well and I think Sanchez is a good example of that this year.

What he may be suggesting, and let's be fair we are probably getting these comments out of context to some degree, is that while our players have the ability and desire, that hunger which can push you through more difficult games is perhaps not there.

I think he's right - there's something missing mentally with our players that stops us from stepping up when we really need it. After the embarrassing defeat at Southampton I expected the players to go out and really go for it against Bournemouth at home in the next match, but in reality we were outplayed for the first half hour. We managed to win in the end but I wanted to see some desire to put things right and I didn't see any of that.

Same against Swansea - a chance to put things right after a poor performance against Man Utd and we were pathetic. It bugs me that so many of these players seem completely devoid of any resolve or character at all.

I think anyone who knows me will agree that I've never been one to demand trophies or titles all the time, but I do want to see players that I admire playing for my club and the list of players I admire at Arsenal is getting smaller when so many seem so weak-minded.

Yeah bit of an easy snipe at Alexis from me, I don't doubt he is one of the few players in the squad who is giving everything. But it is frustrating, when you're struggling as a team quite often the way out of it your best players, your elite, they produce something special which wins a game and sort of drags everyone along with them. Henry used to be able to do it, we need our top players in this squad to do it for us now and they simply haven't been able to.

I'm not sure what you call this quality that is missing from our players. Is it leadership, is it a simple lack of quality, is it mental. Maybe a combination of all these factors.

I think something that can be laid at Wenger's door is that he isn't able to create an environments in the dressing room where the players are able to cope with these high pressure matches.

Archived