Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

ajw10

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can talk about the quality of players' date=' and I have no doubt that is a factor, but at the same time this squad is perfectly capable of going on long winning runs when the pressure is off. The issue is more mental than anything.[/quote']

I did say that there was a culture developing in the side of the club being for "nearly men" who don't have the mentality of winning and fall at the final hurdle. Small things like changing the club's scouting, transfer and training policies might help with that but if that doesn't work then you might have to start looking at Wenger who's clearly still a great manager, but hasn't been able to stop this happening at the club. In the past 10 years since Arsenal last won the league, the amount of competition and pressure (especially financially) that has built up in the league means that it's a different environment to what it was in 2004, when it was pretty much just between Arsenal and Man Utd for the league with Chelsea emerging on the horizon. Maybe Wenger just hasn't been able to adapt now there's so much more money in the league and so many other teams including Man City and Tottenham (and now even Leicester) are capable of getting in on the title race.

The striker argument winds me up because we have good ones like Giroud, Welbeck, even Theo when he can be bothered. It's just that elite striker is so hard to find, which is why we spent all summer trying to bring in Benzema.

It's such a weird thing to pick up on Wenger, when you could just look at his decision to go into the season with Coquelin as first choice.

Higuain would have been that 'big name' striker, wouldn't he and Arsenal faffed around. Maybe Cavani will be available this summer but just don't see Wenger going for those types

What's the deal with Elneny, easing him in?

I don't take the "players not good enough" argument very seriously. In other seasons, maybe. We were usually beaten by teams with better players. This season, we're losing to two groups of players who finished below us in previous seasons. I refuse to believe that Leicester and Spurs are ahead of us simply because they have better players. No one thinks Chelsea does so poorly this year because their players aren't very good. Players quality is one of the last thing people talk about. For us, it should be one of the last reason we use to explain why we're behind these two teams, as well.

Last night we were beaten by Man Utd's Carling Cup team, basically. And we had way more on the line than they did. There was zero danger as well of us being complacent. So what excuses are there left?

I'm just reading the meltdown you've all been having.

Come on guys, in future could you please not show disappointment when our players have put in a poor performance. It's frankly embarrassing and I feel we should demonstrate some good old fashioned "it's the taking part that counts" English attitude in situations such as this.

Meltdown ffs :D ... I think it's hard to imagine a more reserved response to a damaging and disappointing defeat - even ajw didn't fall into the abyss.

I'd go as far as saying Alexis should be dropped for Campbell. Going forward Alexis is really faltering and at least Campbell shows some effort and defensive capability getting back. I wonder if the 2nd goal could have been prevented if Campbell was chasing Varela back instead of Alexis.

Dreading next weekend. It's these grounds, Old Trafford, White Hart Lane, Goodison, St James. We never play well at any of them and we'll probably just pick up at most 4 points out of 12.

Only good thing going into that is that they will be under more pressure than us' date=' be interesting to see how they handle it.[/quote']

You don't really believe that do you?

In a season where Arsenal were many peoples favourites and were one of the three teams most expected to mount a serious title challenge, you think the pressure is on Spurs in a game that Arsenal really can not afford to lose?

Spurs target at the beginning of the season was Champions League qualification. Win, draw or lose against Arsenal they are still on target regardless of whether they are in the title race, challenging for the title even if they miss out to Leicester but qualifying for the CL will still be a successful season for Spurs made even sweeter if they finish above Arsenal.

Arsenal losing this match would probably see them out of the title race, they also need to take points of their biggest rivals to stop them potentially winning the League.

A title challenge where Arsenal lost out to City or Chelsea would have been deemed okay but still a disappointment, however to lose out to Spurs or Leicester in a season where Arsenal have had no major issues like the other expected title challengers would be shocking and should as someone else has said make Wengers position untenable.

How I see it, all the pressure is on Arsenal. At the moment the 2 teams in their way of winning the League are (1) the biggest underdogs to battle for the PL title in PL (maybe even all time) history & (2) their biggest rivals who (I believe I'm correct here) have never finished above Arsenal in PL history.! Arsenal go to Spurs needing a result to stay in the title race and you think Spurs who are still on course for successful season regardless of the result are under more pressure! :D

I don't care what targets you've set at the beginning of the season, you and Leicester are both battling for the title now, and are both in the best position in the league table by a long way. Pressure comes with that whether you like it or not. Trust me as an Arsenal fan on this (I know the last time Spurs were in the title race it was in black and white so you probably can't remember) there is pressure !

Yeah, I wish it worked this way but it doesn't. As the title becomes an ever increasing possibility your hopes increase and the pressure mounts regardless of your previous expectations. This is a golden opportunity to do something incredible for both clubs and the pressure is going to mount in the coming weeks.

Arsenal's pressure is different. We had high expectations and have failed quite miserably to take advantage of a guilt edged opportunity to win the league with our three main rivals all floundering.

It's going to be an interesting run-in but all of the clubs that still have a chance are going to feel the heat.

I don't care what targets you've set at the beginning of the season' date=' you and Leicester are both battling for the title now, and are both in the best position in the league table by a long way. Pressure comes with that whether you like it or not. Trust me as an Arsenal fan on this (I know the last time Spurs were in the title race it was in black and white so you probably can't remember) there is pressure ![/quote']

Huh! Why would you assume I'm a Spurs fan? I'm definitely not :D

Spurs last finished above us in 1994/95, so you are incorrect.

Cool, I wasn't sure which is why I commented in brackets however they are still Arsenals biggest rivals and were definitely not expected to finish above Arsenal let alone win the League.

Yeah, I wish it worked this way but it doesn't. As the title becomes an ever increasing possibility your hopes increase and the pressure mounts regardless of your previous expectations. This is a golden opportunity to do something incredible for both clubs and the pressure is going to mount in the coming weeks.

Arsenal's pressure is different. We had high expectations and have failed quite miserably to take advantage of a guilt edged opportunity to win the league with our three main rivals all floundering.

It's going to be an interesting run-in but all of the clubs that still have a chance are going to feel the heat.

I agree pressure will mount but personally I don't think so yet! Both clubs will have targets throughout the season and once achieved will re-evaluate, as of now securing CL qualification is currently the #1 priority for both, once that is secure then it's the title!

Just like Liverpool 2 seasons ago I don't think the pressure will be really felt by either side until CL qualification is secure & the title is within sight, if/when that happens and they are still leading the pack then the pressure will increase dramatically, until that point I believe both Leicester and Spurs know the pressure is on Arsenal/City to keep up with them and not on them to run away with the League.

I think if either City, Arsenal or any team can stay within 5/6 points of the top going into the last 4/5 games that is when Spurs/Leicester will feel the pressure as both clubs will realise being Champions is within touching distance and if either Arsenal or City were within that distance I would strongly fancy either of them to take the title, right now though I still believe Spurs are under far less pressure than Arsenal.

If only Monreal had bagged that early chance. Ozil getting a few poor reviews for yesterday, come on that was on a plate.

Ramsey doesn't seem all that effective next to Coquelin. You have the BWM, AM and no DLP like Cazorla. I'd be interested in seeing DMC, MC MC AMR AML of Coq, Ramsey, Cazorla, Ozil, Sanchez and seeing if he can get back to the scoring ways he had before. Such a shame for the team, they can't ever go the whole distance.

Frustrating thing about Özil is his pathetic lack of effort pressing or doing anything defensively when times are tough, on the ball you can't fault him. It's like Ramsey who looks so sloppy and clumsy yet in the stats he's really effective it's all a perception thing.

It feels like the end of times tbh

I went and had a look at the ticket exchange for Wednesday night, so many empty seats :D I feel like Wenger personally and a lot of the players have lost all goodwill towards them now. So any sort of poor run, whether it be at the start of next season, or any time really, and it all gets really unpleasant again.

The fans do. The relationship between this group of players and the fans could be irreparable

Well no fan/player relationship in football is irreparable, win games and win trophies and fans forgive anything. But it gives the players no margin for error because any poor run of form and so much pressure will be heaped on them.

Forget the manager, how do the players recover if Spurs win the league?

They'll be fine. Not sure if the squad plus manager could take it but if there was a new manager it would probably be fine

I went and had a look at the ticket exchange for Wednesday night' date=' so many empty seats :D I feel like Wenger personally and a lot of the players have lost all goodwill towards them now. So any sort of poor run, whether it be at the start of next season, or any time really, and it all gets really unpleasant again.[/quote']

I think the only way to recover it is to start performing, now.

We need to spend more than £70M if we're gonna compete next year with Wenger still in charge

Tbh we could buy half the Barca team and we would still struggle if Wenger continues to fail to find the right balance. I find it extraordinary that a manager who in the not too distant past was so adept at making functioning teams out of average squads, albeit in part of his making, can now struggle when he has given himself an abundance of talent.

Haha I was wondering when the board would leak that there would be loads of money to spend' date=' so shameless.[/quote']

Just part of the whole relentless carbon-copy groundhog day merry-go-round we go through every season, which is making being an Arsenal fan so boring.

I've accepted that should we get rid of Wenger we might well go through a spell like Liverpool and Man Utd where we don't even finish top 4 and struggle a bit, but my God I'd even take that at the moment. I'm so ******* bored of this now. I've been supporting this club for over 40 years and I never remember being this bored - even through the 0-0 Don Howe years ffs.

We're going to spend money - we buy one player... maybe - supporters get excited, just a couple more players needed... Wenger says the current squad showed signs it could push for the title - we don't buy anyone else - we start ok - we get injuries - we falter- we don't buy anyone in January - we collapse - we revive enough to pip Spurs - we promise we're going to spend money - we buy one player... yaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnnnn.

Needed to get that off my chest. :D

According to the media though the top 4 or 5 are always getting these mega millions war chests. It just feeds into all the made up transfer stuff they do. They can link everyone to everywhere and explain all these war chests

Buy Sanchez, next year Ozil, next year Cech ... time you put all the pieces together you'll need to replace Sanchez. Wenger needs to master buying then at the same time

They are our bogey team, particularly at home. We've only beaten them once at home at The Emirates and that was a scrappy 1-0 in 2011.

Will be a draw I think. This team is finished

Swansea are such a different team now and I mean that in a worse way.

Ah ****. I need to pick a winner. £100 on the line. May go with Leicester then.

I am 100% sure Arsenal will bounce back and win this. I am more sure of Arsenal winning than Leicester.

Archived