Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

ajw10

He is now getting too easily found out vs decent players with pace. Probably why he didn't go straight back into the team after his suspension, as Wenger didn't want a repeat of Boxing Day.

Why do you keep repeating this utter fallacy?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we expect Eleny or Coq to start against Leceister? It's very hard to predict Wenger right now. Flamini wasn't his awful self last game, but he didn't need to be good either. To be fair, mediocrity is probably all you can expect from your 3rd choice DM.

Ox, the goal aside, had a better game than his latest bad run of form, but I still wasn't impressed.

Ramsey had a bit of a return to form, by playing a simpler game. I was still a bit annoyed at some of his decision making in the final third, but in this kind of game, that's nitpicking. I thought he was our best player on the day.

I went to reply explaining why it is wrong but lost interest.

Ramsey was excellent I thought apart from his two bad moments deep where he lost the ball 1) with a poorly thought out pass (not all his fault) 2) another he was robbed deep. It was the complete midfield display he can deliver. Defensively in particular he was very prevalent

I went to reply explaining why it is wrong but lost interest.

Were you going to provide evidence he beats Bellerin in speed & acceleration tests and doesn't have the manoeuvrability of an oil tanker? I'm not denying he is a good player, just that he struggles when up against a fast player who plays on the shoulder of the last defender. I don't think its odd to think that if a through ball is played and Mertesacker is in a race with a striker of decent pace that he'll lose out (his recent sending off highlighted his struggles with pace). A good holding midfielder isn't going to aid him if he is in a race with a quick striker playing on his shoulder looking for through balls, the holding midfielder wouldn't be near him at the time in order to help.

I don't think I'm exactly going out on a limb here, or rose tinted just because it was Mane and Long. You may not respect Jamie Redknapp as a football "expert", but at least he appears to agree with me...

"Arsene Wenger has a big decision to make. That’s two clean sheets on the bounce without Per Mertesacker. He may be a leader, a World Cup winner and a big presence in the Arsenal defence, but on Sunday, they play Leicester.

"Mertesacker is experienced but one thing he is not is quick. When Arsenal travelled to Leicester they won 5-2, but the big German had a nightmare dealing with the raw speed of Jamie Vardy."

If this weekend Arsenal use their full backs pressed high up the pitch and leave themselves exposed to counter attacks and one-on-ones between Mertesacker and Vardy then they'd potentially be asking for trouble and playing into Leicester's hands.

Were you going to provide evidence he beats Bellerin in speed & acceleration tests and doesn't have the manoeuvrability of an oil tanker? I'm not denying he is a good player, just that he struggles when up against a fast player who plays on the shoulder of the last defender. I don't think its odd to think that if a through ball is played and Mertesacker is in a race with a striker of decent pace that he'll lose out (his recent sending off highlighted his struggles with pace). A good holding midfielder isn't going to aid him if he is in a race with a quick striker playing on his shoulder looking for through balls, the holding midfielder wouldn't be near him at the time in order to help.

I don't think I'm exactly going out on a limb here, or rose tinted just because it was Mane and Long. You may not respect Jamie Redknapp as a football "expert", but at least he appears to agree with me...

If this weekend Arsenal use their full backs pressed high up the pitch and leave themselves exposed to counter attacks and one-on-ones between Mertesacker and Vardy then they'd potentially be asking for trouble and playing into Leicester's hands.

'He gets found out against decent players with pace' just simply isn't true. Saying he isn't mobile isn't much of a point either as that is blindingly obvious. Quoting Jamie Redknapp is just dumb also as he is easily disregarded as not that bright as his analysis shows which seems to just consist of he isn't very quick.

The problem with this is the presumption that because strikers can easily run past him that he therefore has an issue against them. Problem is a lot of strikers can run past top CBs such as say Pique or Hummels. They also much like Mertesacker don't have great problems with pacey strikers as they very rarely end up in a one v one foot race and the same applies to Mertesacker. If he does of course he loses out and is in trouble but you're exaggerating how much of an issue that is. CBs like that (which is most of them) have to position themselves to receive the ball which Mertesacker excels at.

The red card is on Flamini because he has to close the Chelsea counter down but chooses not and from there the defence is always in trouble. Mertesacker is left exposed and makes positional error (as does Koscielny) he also shouldn't have dived in but this would have been a problem for many CBs. Mertesacker's bigger issue is he isn't comfortable in space which isn't down to a lack of pace per ser but more his lack of manoeuvrability you mentioned. However a striker running off him into the space behind is not really an issue as he positions himself to get the ball like all other CBs as most are slower than strikers who trouble them in behind.

'He gets found out against decent players with pace' just simply isn't true. Saying he isn't mobile isn't much of a point either as that is blindingly obvious. Quoting Jamie Redknapp is just dumb also as he is easily disregarded as not that bright as his analysis shows which seems to just consist of he isn't very quick.

The problem with this is the presumption that because strikers can easily run past him that he therefore has an issue against them. Problem is a lot of strikers can run past top CBs such as say Pique or Hummels. They also much like Mertesacker don't have great problems with pacey strikers as they very rarely end up in a one v one foot race and the same applies to Mertesacker. If he does of course he loses out and is in trouble but you're exaggerating how much of an issue that is. CBs like that (which is most of them) have to position themselves to receive the ball which Mertesacker excels at.

The red card is on Flamini because he has to close the Chelsea counter down but chooses not and from there the defence is always in trouble. Mertesacker is left exposed and makes positional error (as does Koscielny) he also shouldn't have dived in but this would have been a problem for many CBs. Mertesacker's bigger issue is he isn't comfortable in space which isn't down to a lack of pace per ser but more his lack of manoeuvrability you mentioned. However a striker running off him into the space behind is not really an issue as he positions himself to get the ball like all other CBs as most are slower than strikers who trouble them in behind.

I agree with your points. Mertesacker might not be quick, but as long as a team covers and protects him from being exposed in a foot race from a high line then there isn't a massive problem. Arsenal switch their pressing style around frequently, but generally we can sit off in a lower block and stay compact, and it seems to suit the whole team more that way.

As long as a team is set up tactically well then it shouldn't expose a centre back's pace. Mertesacker's dismissal against Chelsea, was as your pointed out, down to Flamini not putting enough pressure on the ball with the line sat high up the pitch (and that's because Chelsea were on a counter, so the line was never going to be sat any deeper than that in that scenario). If you want to see a textbook example of lack of pressure on the ball and high line, watch Spurs' 2 goals against us at White Hart Lane in 2013 - Bale and Lennon both raced in behind a high line as nobody cut out the through-ball and it left them clean through. Whereas in a more compact shape we reduce the space they can play in, and crowd key areas of the pitch.

I mean it's simplistic to say that Mertesacker's pace is always going to be count against him' date=' and he has a lot of other attributes that have outweighed his negatives, but his mobility and pace clearly are issues and probably the reason he's been dropped.[/quote']

I think we are notably less organised with Gabriel and Koscielny, but we are proactive at least with good recovery pace. I expect that we should rotate depending on opponents.

He seems very rushed even when he has time at the moment, and he can be a little lackadaisical in a physical battle. Also quite poor in holding a line for offside which is something Koscielny struggles with too. I like his aggression, speed and his tackling is quite good. Think he has the makings of starter for us but he's not quite polished enough yet.

I thought Gabriel and Koscielny looked surprisingly well balanced in some of their previous games. But this last few games have looked a bit more rusty. That said, a lot of Sunday's defending will be pace, on the turn, and in 1 on 1's, so I think Gabriel is a better choice for Sunday. That said, I would be playing Mertesacker against a United side that generally lacks pace and where organisation is more essential.

It should be a case of pick the right player really, but I have been expecting Gabriel to displace Mertesacker at somepoint.

I thought Gabriel and Koscielny looked surprisingly well balanced in some of their previous games. But this last few games have looked a bit more rusty. That said, a lot of Sunday's defending will be pace, on the turn, and in 1 on 1's, so I think Gabriel is a better choice for Sunday. That said, I would be playing Mertesacker against a United side that generally lacks pace and where organisation is more essential.

It should be a case of pick the right player really, but I have been expecting Gabriel to displace Mertesacker at somepoint.

We will need to be able to launch counter attacks on Sunday too, which is difficult with Gabriel, Kos and Coq/Flam

We will need to be able to launch counter attacks on Sunday too, which is difficult with Gabriel, Kos and Coq/Flam

Kos has been doing a bit of Vermaelen lately, by taking the ball forward himself. I think having Coq over Flamini will also be an improvement. Isn't Eleny also suppose to be someone who can move the ball around quite well?

I'm not too sure how many counter-attacks we will get though. Against Man City, Leicester sat deep, and did the counter-attacking. They had like 40% possession didn't they?

I feel like we're going to get a result today. Might feel very different when we actually kick off though. Even a draw isn't TOO bad. I know it's not ideal and it'll be an opportunity lost - but 5 points behind vs 8 behind is a major difference with 12 games left. I like the idea of 2 though. I feel like we need a City win today - Spurs have too much momentum. It needs halting. Preferably a 22 man brawl and points deduction...

I feel like we're going to get a result today. Might feel very different when we actually kick off though. Even a draw isn't TOO bad. I know it's not ideal and it'll be an opportunity lost - but 5 points behind vs 8 behind is a major difference with 12 games left. I like the idea of 2 though. I feel like we need a City win today - Spurs have too much momentum. It needs halting. Preferably a 22 man brawl and points deduction...

Agreed. We should never wish injuries on opponents, but I can get behind 22 red cards :thup:

Unbelievable. We were awful today and my word we made hard work of it but got the result and that's all that matters at end of the day. Hard to see us being able to beat the other sides we need to beat away from home if we play like that though. Hopefully this can be a huge boost to their confidence and spur us on.

Im still convinced we'll bottle the title but we'll never have a better chance to win it than this year.

Unbelievable. We were awful today and my word we made hard work of it but got the result and that's all that matters at end of the day. Hard to see us being able to beat the other sides we need to beat away from home if we play like that though. Hopefully this can be a huge boost to their confidence and spur us on.

Im still convinced we'll bottle the title but we'll never have a better chance to win it than this year.

Our finishing was awful but we were miles better than Leicester today.

Our finishing was awful but we were miles better than Leicester today.
After the red card don't think I've seen us play so well. We actually sustained the pressure we put on them for 40+ minutes.

Absolutely. Thought our all round play was fantastic. Varied the pace, used width, created different type of chances - and both subs scores the goals. Really great moment for Welbeck. Will do Walcott the power of good too!

Archived