Match 32 - Group G - USA VS Portugal 2300BST

sean_oc16

I don't understand your point? If it's a draw it's a draw - it suits both. But they won't play for the draw. Both sides will want to win.
Exactly. If its a draw its a draw. Both go through.
Klinsmaan is probably ringing him up as we speak :D

Yeah. Probably. Or probably not.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately my grandfather died on Wednesday, and we had a family dinner at the yacht club tonight, but the game was on in the grill room so I was sneaking over there every so often. Gutted we didn't win, but man, this has been a fantastic world cup.

A draw is still a good result. They got a very lucky win against Ghana so can't complain, they're probably through to the next round when it should have been Ghana.

I agree a draw is a good result...would have easily taken it at the start of the match (and esp. after going behind early). But....15 seconds from WoW!

Unfortunately my grandfather died on Wednesday, and we had a family dinner at the yacht club tonight, but the game was on in the grill room so I was sneaking over there every so often. Gutted we lost, but man, this has been a fantastic world cup.

It was a draw :confused:

A draw will suit both Germany and USA. Even if USA knows they will get the runnerup of the other group in the second round if they finish first, they have no big head. They know what they are capable of and how much quality they have. So, finishing first won't necessarily mean they will survive longer. It's also a knockout round; everything happens, things you can control and things you can't. So, they may as well rest.

For Germany, they want to go all the way to the final. This is a chance to rest some players and become fitter in the knockout rounds. I can't be bothered to look in which city they will play, but this World Cup proves that if you're not fit, you'll not go far.

Inexperience.

I think they have the oldest squad in the tournament! But yes, inexperience at that level I suppose, with lots of guys who have only played MLS on the pitch at that point. Perhaps missing Dempsey's leadership after he was subbed.

I was crying out for Howard to feign a muscle injury after a goal kick or something, because that's exactly what Portugal would have done :(.

This is the closest group left now isn't it? Anyone can still go through, Portugal least likely obviously.

All teams in Groups C, E, and H can also still qualify.

Only five nations are actually out - Cameroon, Spain, Australia, England, and Bosnia

still struggling to see where the ref found 5 extra minutes

4 Substitutes during play in the Second half.

30 Seconds each per Sub.

2 Minutes.

2 Goals during regular play during the second half (not counting the last minute equaliser obviously)

1 Minute per goal.

2 Minutes.

You've got 4 minutes there.

Add in for some stoppages for Free kicks & a couple of injuries, & I think the time added was about right.

Even if it did lose me some money!

Regardless of subs they usually just chuck on a token 3 minutes

Gutted for the Americans, I was just thinking how they ruined it. With a draw it means that final round of games will be immense, want a dual TV set! Thought they ruined it with that winner

Portugal really didn't look at all that. I reckon Ronaldo is just gutted Messi has got this doss of a group to go showcase his talents and he's been stuck in this tough one

American TV must be loving this. Early goal in Ghana game and then late equaliser and then later winner ... come from behind last night and dramatic equaliser and now it all goes to the final game, big European football power too

Klinnsman really has an American twang now, doesn't he. I just imagine him really buying into LA, eating yoghurt, doing pilates .. you know, LA stuff :brock:

Ricardo Costa (the number 13) to blame there for not letting the ball hit him instead of the net. :D

Jokes aside, brilliant shot.

Vidic would have blocked it! :D

USA didn't deserve to "lose" two points, but that is the wonder with football. You never really know what is happening, and in the blink of an eye the match changes results of flow. Part of why we love it so much.

I am a bit shocked at how poor Portugal have been though. Pretty much your definition of a one-man team -- and when that man isn't performing to his abilities...

John Ourand @Ourand_SBJ 7h

ESPN: USA-Portugal overnight TV rating was a 9.1, "the highest overnight rating for a World Cup match on ESPN or ESPN2."

John Ourand @Ourand_SBJ 5h

Univision's top markets for USA-Portugal (overnights): Miami (7.9), Los Angeles (5.9), Houston (5.1), SF (3.3) NYC and Dallas (3.0).

John Ourand @Ourand_SBJ 3h

Univision: Most-viewed USA match in FIFA World Cup history for Univision Deportes (6.5 million P2+).

John Ourand @Ourand_SBJ 2h

ESPN: USA-Portugal averaged 18.220 million viewers.

USA-Portugal TV: ESPN had 18.22 million viewers; Univision had 6.5 million. That combined 24.7 million number is huge.

ESPN says USA-Portugal is the United States' most-watched soccer match in history, eclipsing the 1999 Women’s World Cup final on ABC.

The game had big digital numbers, too. WatchESPN had a 490K average minute audience, a total of 1.373M viewers and 61.691M minutes viewed.

John Ourand @Ourand_SBJ 43m

USA-Portugal on ESPN/Univision combined drew a 20.1 rating in Miami (9.4 ESPN; 10.7 Uni) and a 17.3 rating in LA (9.4 ESPN; 7.9 Uni).

John Ourand @Ourand_SBJ 41m

USA-Portugal drew a 17.2 rating in DC on ESPN/Univision combined. In DC, the game drew a 13.3 rating on ESPN and a 3.9 rating on Univision.

John Ourand @Ourand_SBJ 39m

In New York, USA-Portugal drew a combined 16.5 rating (12.5 on ESPN and 4.0 on Univision).

Archived