*Official* Football Manager 2013 13.2.1 Constructive NON-ME Feedback Thread

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a quick search of the thread and couldn't find mention of this but thought it might be worth bringing up.

Anyway, I had my fortnightly message about having a backroom advice meeting, it said that my assistant manager as noted that I haven't held a meeting in a while and members of the backroom staff have some things they want to tell me. When I clicked the Hold Meeting button on the message, there were no items there. Obviously, this is probably pretty low down on the list of things but it just seemed that a message saying something along the lines of "Today we should be having a backroom meeting but no-one has anything to say so we won't bother" might have been better.

A little high asking prices for players who are transfer listed by request:

Carlos Fierro, who is currently plays for Chivas and valued 3.9M €, is listed for 26M €. Internacional wants 62M € for Leandro Damiao which is listed by request. 26M € for steven fletcher, etc.

The dark skin is nice, unless your managing a team who play in white.

The massive bright white header on the squad/team screen looks so misplaced/awful, and doesn't blend in with the dark skin at all.

(I think it's because of the new bigger/wider header team colour with FM13.. it was smaller on previous FM's)

again, player decisions regarding contracts.

i'm managing Ajax, and tried to sign a 15 year old new-gen playing for Norwich. He asks for crazy wages (8k/week) but I really want him and my wage budget has so much room to maneuver, so be it!

He prefers to stay with Norwich earning a whooping 55/week!

He could have come to Amsterdam! NOPE!

He could have joined the most prestigious football academy in the world! NOPE!

He could be earning 8k a week! NOPE!

IMMA STAY HOME WITH MY MOMMY AND BUY CHEWING GUM WITH MY 55 POUNDS EVERY WEEK LOL

again, player decisions regarding contracts.

i'm managing Ajax, and tried to sign a 15 year old new-gen playing for Norwich. He asks for crazy wages (8k/week) but I really want him and my wage budget has so much room to maneuver, so be it!

He prefers to stay with Norwich earning a whooping 55/week!

He could have come to Amsterdam! NOPE!

He could have joined the most prestigious football academy in the world! NOPE!

He could be earning 8k a week! NOPE!

IMMA STAY HOME WITH MY MOMMY AND BUY CHEWING GUM WITH MY 55 POUNDS EVERY WEEK LOL

What is his personality? perhaps not a very ambitious guy!

For all the effort put into making the ME resembling a match of football, it makes you curious about what is happening off the pitch. Such as:

- On your very first day at Barcelona, putting Messi, Iniesta and Xavi in the reserves is not a big deal. Neither to the board, nor to the fans. Nor the players, for that matter: They might start to be concerned, but the following conversation and the newbie manager telling them to "listen to their manager" is likely meeted with agreement and getting them back to "happy for being with the club", no concerns about it whatosever. Or being in the reserves, for that matter.

- You then offer Iniesta and Villa for 0€ on the transfer market. Not such a big deal, neither to the board, nor the fans, but the clubs who line up to take on the opportunity, of course.

- When the deal is sealed, all you get is a confidence bar stating that "The fans think that Villa still had a role to play at the club, but are confident in your decision." That is all. Where is the board calling madness? Where is the local press demanding your head? Where are the players questioning the sanity of their manager? Why is a complete newbie, or anyone, for that matter, able to force Casillas out of Real Madrid in the very first days at the ground without anybody objecting but the player who is likely to agree after a quick conversation too?

You're almost inclined to ask if there is any way to get into serious trouble at all, bad results on the pitch aside. Historically FM didn't get you into trouble even if you were drastically overspending - the board would suddenly provide funds if all things went pear-shaped anyway. Historically it was also possible for complete newbies to offload half the first team squad on their first day at the club without anybody objecting. This is still a bit quite meh. And often times unintended comedy.

+1

I hope in FM14 they address these background issues. All these type of things seem to be forgotten or glossed over - but its this kind of stuff, one on top of the other, that make FM far too easy to succeed at. The challenge should be there, on and off the field.

I would like to be able to specify a transfer budget that my head of youth development guy can use. As of now he keeps throwing my money away, although I do cancel the deals I don't deem to be good business. Would be nice to specify a certain percentage of my transfer budget or even a certain amount that he could use to his own will.

Just a quick question if you guys can help me on this. I have been playing the game and i am in the group stage of the champions league and all the games are on a Wednesday even in the knockout stage is it me or others are experiencing the same problem? Thanks for any help

+1

I hope in FM14 they address these background issues. All these type of things seem to be forgotten or glossed over - but its this kind of stuff, one on top of the other, that make FM far too easy to succeed at. The challenge should be there, on and off the field.

Yeah, I posted stories from clubs at the top of the database to highlight the issues - you're occasionally getting a good chuckle out of the conversations or even moreso the often complete lack of any kind of feedback and consequences from such actions. But naturally this behavior has knock ons throughout the entire game. If you can barely upset these players and these clubs as complete newbie, naturally it's borderline impossible to shake clubs up going further down below. And that is only you - the thousands of AI managers are obviously in for the exact same kind of treatment.

In the German community somebody experienced a bit of a fluke incident, a total of three PA 185+ youngsters coming through the youth ranks of his fairly minnow club. In reality they'd be snapped up by the big dogs ASAP, or at the very least made a serious target. In FM he was able to keep them at the club with ease. I know it's "just" a game, but in particular off the pitch the balance between believable simulation and accessibility has still some way to go. Arguably a much longer one than the ME.

Yeah, I posted stories from clubs at the top of the database to highlight the issues - you're occasionally getting a good chuckle out of the conversations or even moreso the often complete lack of any kind of feedback and consequences from such actions. But naturally this behavior has knock ons throughout the entire game. If you can barely upset these players and these clubs as complete newbie, naturally it's borderline impossible to shake clubs up going further down below. And that is only you - the thousands of AI managers are obviously in for the exact same kind of treatment.

In the German community somebody experienced a bit of a fluke incident, a total of three PA 185+ youngsters coming through the youth ranks of his fairly minnow club. In reality they'd be snapped up by the big dogs ASAP, or at the very least made a serious target. In FM he was able to keep them at the club with ease. I know it's "just" a game, but in particular off the pitch the balance between believable simulation and accessibility has still some way to go. Arguably a much longer one than the ME.

On a similar theme, I was able to buy Kurt Zouma for Udinese in the second season, for £20m. As one of the best young defenders in the entire world, this shouldn't have really been possible. The likes of Barca, Man Utd etc should have been circling for his signature too. Not to mention that his club should have demanded more money, and Zouma should have demanded such things as a release clause or maybe refused to sign for me...

And keeping talents has always been too easy. It seems to come down to the AI not really noticing how good the younger players are, and not planning for the future. The AI managers will frequently splash out 10-15m on decent 25 year olds, but never fight each other for the signatures of the best European youngsters as they should do.

just ended my 2nd season as Ajax, 2nd time champion, on both years I wasn't even shortlisted for the manager of the year award.

(????)

also, regarding the voting for the awards, i can vote on my GK's for the GK of the year award whilst for the other awards I can't vote for my own players, i guess one of these situations is wrong.

just ended my 2nd season as Ajax, 2nd time champion, on both years I wasn't even shortlisted for the manager of the year award.

(????)

also, regarding the voting for the awards, i can vote on my GK's for the GK of the year award whilst for the other awards I can't vote for my own players, i guess one of these situations is wrong.

Also, as has been discussed elsewhere, even if you didn't holiday, with Ajax you are just doing what is expected of you. Media Prediction 1st - End result 1st

If there are 3 other managers who have noticeably done better than their media prediction, then they might well be more deserving.

And as Jibby says, holidaying will rightly rob you of it too.

no holidaying at all, even if the media prediction is 1st you have to be at least shortlisted for winning the most important competition in the country, I mean feyenoord finished 9th and steve mcclaren (their manager this last year) is shortlisted!

Didn't SI say they had changed the manner in which players were willing to move around to not receive any money?

I've signed a host of scottish 16 year olds for my AFC Hornchurch side on a non-contract £7 per appearance basis, would this happen? Or is it only piddly full-time contracts that have been cracked down on?

The first think that I want to say, I know this has been suggested many times before, but I think you should be able to ask the player to retire or give up his player role

for a coaching role instead.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I think it would add more depth if there would be some sort of press conference when one or more of your players is retiring, sort of like when you buy new players. It just seems a bit abrupt the way it is now.

There could be questions like:

This is a very sad time for you and the club, you must have been dreading this day?

We understand you tried to persuade *instert name* to stay on another year, but he rejected, was this feeling mutual?

Obviously this is just cosmetic so I wondered what other ways this could be achieved. Any comments are welcome...

Approached Neymar on a free transfer in Jan 2014, Liverpool (won PL first season), he turned me down for Barcelona, I thought fair enough, signed Gabby Agbonlahor and Aaron Lennon instead.

Looked at him again in June, he's on £37.5k a week, with minimal bonuses. I was pleased to negotiate him down to £120k p/w with huge bonuses.

Is reputation that huge a factor (Barca one half star bigger than me) or have I been ****ed over here? In any case, Neymar earning that little at Barca of all places does not seem real.

Don't have earlier savegame so not reporting as bug or anything, just asking if this is normal. Can see him rejecting anyone for Barca, but not accepting terms so low.

Similarly, Lucas I just sold for £30m to Benfica because I couldn't get him below £100k p/w new contract, he signed for them on £58k p/w. Pretty frustrating stuff.

However, negotiated Johnson down from £80k p/w to £60k p/w which I was pleased with and signed players like Yarmolenko on about £45k p/w, so wondering if there was a mechanic I'm missing in the game?

EDIT: Got my dates wrong, didn't say Bonlahor instead, I did that in summer 2013 when I had the deal ready to go with Neymar but pulled the plug because I thought £40m was a bit steep. So maybe that past experience had a bearing on his rejecting me? Still doesn't explain £37.5k p/w at Barca though.

Approached Neymar on a free transfer in Jan 2014, Liverpool (won PL first season), he turned me down for Barcelona, I thought fair enough, signed Gabby Agbonlahor and Aaron Lennon instead.

Looked at him again in June, he's on £37.5k a week, with minimal bonuses. I was pleased to negotiate him down to £120k p/w with huge bonuses.

Is reputation that huge a factor (Barca one half star bigger than me) or have I been ****ed over here? In any case, Neymar earning that little at Barca of all places does not seem real.

Don't have earlier savegame so not reporting as bug or anything, just asking if this is normal. Can see him rejecting anyone for Barca, but not accepting terms so low.

Similarly, Lucas I just sold for £30m to Benfica because I couldn't get him below £100k p/w new contract, he signed for them on £58k p/w. Pretty frustrating stuff.

I am assuming this has been raised as a bug because quite a few have mentioned this problem here. It does seem squiffy.

Didn't SI say they had changed the manner in which players were willing to move around to not receive any money?

I've signed a host of scottish 16 year olds for my AFC Hornchurch side on a non-contract £7 per appearance basis, would this happen? Or is it only piddly full-time contracts that have been cracked down on?

If they were released from an English club then they would be considered to be living in England, and therefore not need the extra money to move countries that you now see for part-time players. If they were released from Scottish clubs then I would say this wasn't working as intended.

Yesterday I started my save and noticed that all regen faces are gone! It was OK up until yesterday..Anybody knows what to do? I have some custom hairpack installed, could it be the problem?..although it worked fine...very strange.

U have to manually delete your cache out of the game, it should work fine then.

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Go to the “Football Manager 2013” Folder.

5. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

Wndows Vista and 7:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Go to the “Football Manager 2013” Folder.

6. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

U have to manually delete your cache out of the game, it should work fine then.

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Go to the “Football Manager 2013” Folder.

5. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

Wndows Vista and 7:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Go to the “Football Manager 2013” Folder.

6. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

OK, will try this. Thanks.

Yesterday I started my save and noticed that all regen faces are gone! It was OK up until yesterday..Anybody knows what to do? I have some custom hairpack installed, could it be the problem?..although it worked fine...very strange.

Sometimes restarting the game solves this problem...

Any news about the ME update? There were some informations how the work is going on, but from 1-2 weeks no news...

No news... and the only time there will be news is when an update is released or when a member of the team kindly decide to give you an update on progress.

Match Preparation.

The influence it has is far too extreme, in my opinion. For pretty much all of the season my Villa team has been training and doing match preparation for defense and defensive positioning - and it shows, because now in March we have the second best defensive record in the league. However, for two games I switch MP from defensive positioning to att. movement, and all of a sudden we are cutting teams open like we're Man United. But, also all of a sudden, my team is incapable of holding on to a lead. We had two games at home, against considerably weaker opposition, and we lost leads in both of them and ended up drawing the matches. And no, it is not my tactics. My team has been seeing 1-0 leads out all season; now we're suddenly throwing away 2-0 leads against teams fighting relegation. I watch games all the way through, I adjust my tactics and my shouts re-actively to the game; it's served me well. But for one game I change my Match Preparation, and it's like we've suddenly forgot how to defend!

Match Preparation.

The influence it has is far too extreme, in my opinion. For pretty much all of the season my Villa team has been training and doing match preparation for defense and defensive positioning - and it shows, because now in March we have the second best defensive record in the league. However, for two games I switch MP from defensive positioning to att. movement, and all of a sudden we are cutting teams open like we're Man United. But, also all of a sudden, my team is incapable of holding on to a lead. We had two games at home, against considerably weaker opposition, and we lost leads in both of them and ended up drawing the matches. And no, it is not my tactics. My team has been seeing 1-0 leads out all season; now we're suddenly throwing away 2-0 leads against teams fighting relegation. I watch games all the way through, I adjust my tactics and my shouts re-actively to the game; it's served me well. But for one game I change my Match Preparation, and it's like we've suddenly forgot how to defend!

It might be cool to have an accumalitive (sp?) effect on all the different match preps you can do. Obviously as you work on one it goes up gradually and those you don't prep gradually decreases back to zero.

Pretty sure if you spent half a season on def positioning for example and then one week did not, the def positioning would not zero out immediately? Footballers aren't that thick are they?? :D

It might be cool to have an accumalitive (sp?) effect on all the different match preps you can do. Obviously as you work on one it goes up gradually and those you don't prep gradually decreases back to zero.

Pretty sure if you spent half a season on def positioning for example and then one week did not, the def positioning would not zero out immediately? Footballers aren't that thick are they?? :D

I think that's a good idea - how it should have been in the first place. Now I feel like I can't not work on defensive positioning without my team coming undone.

I think that's a good idea - how it should have been in the first place. Now I feel like I can't not work on defensive positioning without my team coming undone.

Only realised just how ridiculously key working on defence in training is to not conceding half-way through a season. Revolutionised my game, which was a bit extreme for a feature that changed basically unexplained. Almost safe to do att. movement when it's a guaranteed victory though!

It's a change to the system with legs, but having a sliding scale like there is for tactic familiarity could be good :)

I've had a thought that occurred to me last night regarding offering players new contracts and wage allowances.

My club is in pretty bad financial shape (which I admit is my own fault for spending too much on wages in the first place). Anwyay, quite a few of my first team's contracts are expiring at the end of this season and I am struggling to get them to sign new contracts due to my board limiting the wages I can offer (fair enough). I've spoken to all the guys who have expiring contracts and asked them to reduce their wage demands because the club is in bad financial shape, and they all agreed to do so. However, I've only managed to get one of them to sign a new contract because I am still unable to offer them what they are asking for. For example, my top earner is on £275 p/w and he is now asking for £180 p/w so he has basically agreed to cut his wages by 1/3. My board will only let me offer him £120 p/w and he will not accept this. He won't budge from his £180 p/w demands which I guess is fair enough seeing as he would already be taking a pretty significant hit. It doesn't matter what clauses and bonuses I add, he just doesn't want to know with a basic wage of £120 p/w.

So, the point of this post (eventually) is that maybe the board could agree to let me offer a bit more than what they have limited it to if it means that current players would take a wage cut. They can still let me offer next to nothing for new signings. I understand it's not as straight-forward as this. After all, if his contracts expires and he leaves, they'll be saving £275 p/w as oppose to £95 p/w for the next season or two. It just seems a bit silly that they are basically condemning the club to lose a large part of the squad and mean that the team might not be as competitive next year and therefore would be knock-on effects such as reduced gate receipts and less prize money. I know this might not be a very feasible/sensible suggestion but I would have thought that the board should be balancing the financial side of things against the performance side of things and understand that the two are related, to an extent.

• 4 months later...

- In a players History/Career Stats section I don't like it when a player moves clubs and it adds an extra line for his previous club during the same season he left. For example on Dimitar Berbatov's career history when he left Spurs for Man Utd in 2008 it added an extra line for Tottenham in 2008-09 when he never played 1 league game for them during that season just putting a 0 in apps and the remaining categories a - is placed. The same happened when he left Man Utd for Fulham for this season it added a line for Man Utd again for 2012-13 with a 0 and -. I just feel it makes the player career history look untidy and this has been happening for many years now. I hope it can be improved to not do that.

- In a teams Fixtures/Schedule section in the right hand column when it says 'Fixture Details - Home against......' again it looks untidy as the information gets cut off and you have to hover over it with your cursor to see the full name of the team you're playing and in how many days it will take place.

- After a match has been played and you press the score to see the match information (after the match report has been generated) in the overview box where it has the score, competition, attendance, stadium, weather etc it would be nice to see the actual score there not just the bookings and players scored. For example if the score finished 2-1 it would be nice to have it written there and not just the scorers for both teams.

Thanks,

Mario

Archived