Mr Hough FM13 First Patch Tactics.

About using shouts in the start of the game, I don't see the point, because what shouts do is changing the sliders, I think they are meant to be used to easily change things DURING the course of the game, not at the start. If you need to apply shouts at the start of the game then it means that your tactic is not set up how it should be, how you want it to be. There is no point in training a tactic all week and then just before the kick off say to your players: forget what we trained, I want you to play wider, press more, retain possession, etc... moreover, those changes will affect the fluidity of the tactic.

I see your point you are making but i haven't seen any adverse effects in doing this at the moment anyway

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
About using shouts in the start of the game, I don't see the point, because what shouts do is changing the sliders, I think they are meant to be used to easily change things DURING the course of the game, not at the start. If you need to apply shouts at the start of the game then it means that your tactic is not set up how it should be, how you want it to be. There is no point in training a tactic all week and then just before the kick off say to your players: forget what we trained, I want you to play wider, press more, retain possession, etc... moreover, those changes will affect the fluidity of the tactic.

Actually, I think you should be doing that. Developing a preferred playing style and reactive variants is vital. I wouldn't worry in the slightest about the hit your tactic gets. Minimal to negligible.

I think SI need to make it a more explicit element of the game.

I've always thought you should be able to 'tag' your TC tactics with shouts just in your tactics screen away from a match. That way, you don't need to remember to set them every game on the team-talk screen, and you get to see, before you've even picked your tactics, what sliders would be changed with them. so you can play around before a match.

It would also mean that you aren't confusing yourself with whether or not you're just throwing away your tactical familiarity by changing all the shouts in a match - because the tactical familiarity would be linked to the shouts you've selected originally. It could be part of the wizard and the 'team instructions' screen

Actually, I think you should be doing that. Developing a preferred playing style and reactive variants is vital. I wouldn't worry in the slightest about the hit your tactic gets. Minimal to negligible.

I think SI need to make it a more explicit element of the game.

I still think shouts should only be available during the game, and perhaps there could be more "playing style" options instead of shouts to start the game. You can already choose press more, pass shorter, drill crosses, etc, why not incorporate all the other options like retain possession, etc? It seems to make more sense, to me at least.

I have tried this with Rangers, I'm using a basic set up i haven't touched the individual player or team settings other than take long shots off each player.

I'm using a 4-2-3-1 formation. Keeper - 2 fullbacks on automatic - 2 Limited Defenders on defend - 2 DM's 1 as anchor on defend 1 as DLP on support 2 Wingers on attack 1 Advanced Play maker on attack and a complete forward on support.

I am using the Rigid style and attacking Philosophy.

Set up this Shout - Play Out Of Defence - Pass In To Space - Play Wider - Run At Defence - Look For Overlap - Get Ball Forward - Exploit The Flanks.

You can select them all in a single shout combo and when you select this Shout Combo at the beginning or anytime of the game all of the shouts will be selected at once

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezey

You should definately name this tactic "THE SHIELD"!!! Because of the protection it provides!!! It was easy peasy to create using the TC!!!

I'm just getting giddy i've only played 2 games with it but these were the results and stats it's given me:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/manutdvtrnavapitchsplit.png/ Not one single shot on tragetl!!!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/manutdvchelseapitchspli.png/ 1 shot on target, frustratingly 1 goal!!!

Like I said i'm only getting giddy because of the stats it produced and my next matches are Arsenal away and City away so we'll see how it fairs against the big boys!

Ps. I applied your combo shout at the start of every match and my own park the bus combo shout in the last 15mins of the Chelsea game.

You should definately name this tactic "THE SHIELD"!!! Because of the protection it provides!!! It was easy peasy to create using the TC!!!

I'm just getting giddy i've only played 2 games with it but these were the results and stats it's given me:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/manutdvtrnavapitchsplit.png/ Not one single shot on tragetl!!!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/manutdvchelseapitchspli.png/ 1 shot on target, frustratingly 1 goal!!!

Like I said i'm only getting giddy because of the stats it produced and my next matches are Arsenal away and City away so we'll see how it fairs against the big boys!

Ps. I applied your combo shout at the start of every match and my own park the bus combo shout in the last 15mins of the Chelsea game.

Impressive. What do you use for 'park the bus'?

glad to see u telling your customers:u should play like this, it's more fun;u shouldn't play like that!

What's wrong with trying to help people have more fun when playing FM exactly? It's only taken Mr Hough a couple of hours to adapt and he's more enthusiastic than ever.

Or am I misinterpreting you and you are praising our attempts to help?

What's wrong with trying to help people have more fun when playing FM exactly? It's only taken Mr Hough a couple of hours to adapt and he's more enthusiastic than ever.

Or am I misinterpreting you and you are praising our attempts to help?

I'm noticing a real 'campaign' (especially from you) for exploitative, plug and play tactics to die and for everybody to embrace the TC, and apparently, it's showing people 'how to enjoy the game'.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that everybody enjoys FM in different ways and not everybody has the time, or inclination to micromanage, or read up on pages and pages of tactical theorims which they're supposed to absorb and then incorporate into matches? Some people just want to pick up the game and win with their favourite team. And seriously, stop trying to tell people how much fun and how much better there experience will be if they played the game like you. I know you mean well but it's coming across as condescending as I think a lot of people are grown up enough to know exactly how they want to play the game, or how much time they have to do it.

if thats how you wanna play look at the shouts i would create one and use

Play out of defence - because you wanna keep possession

push higher up - Put them on the back foot

Pass to feet - you wanna keep possesion so passing to feet will help achieve this.

Play through Defence - short passing into the box

work ball into box - Pretty much same as the above

Retain Possession - You wanna keep hold of the ball.

You could use 2 others,

Hassle Opponants but you gotta be careful with that if your playing a high lineso i'd leave that off.

Midfield Distrubtion, You could use the exploit the middle shout but i'd rather go for the exploit the flanks, If you think about it, If yor playing in the middle short passing playing around the oppositon your gonna draw them onto you leaving potential holes down the flanks for the likes of Evra and Rafa so they might be able to get a few cross's in.

Something to think about mate.

Glad to see you're really getting back into it. Remember you posting on FM Base how frustrated you were.

I'm noticing a real 'campaign' (especially from you) for exploitative, plug and play tactics to die and for everybody to embrace the TC, and apparently, it's showing people 'how to enjoy the game'.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that everybody enjoys FM in different ways and not everybody has the time, or inclination to micromanage, or read up on pages and pages of tactical theorims which they're supposed to absorb and then incorporate into matches? Some people just want to pick up the game and win with their favourite team. And seriously, stop trying to tell people how much fun and how much better there experience will be if they played the game like you. I know you mean well but it's coming across as condescending as I think a lot of people are grown up enough to know exactly how they want to play the game, or how much time they have to do it.

The thing you are so missing DKing is that the TC's can be more exploitative than the Classic tactics with only a few clicks and not hours and hours of people trying to make them that way.

Can you explain to me why you need to spend hours and hours reading up on forums or even micro managing teams, I haven't 1 bit and i'm doing so well. If someone made a quick guide about the Shouts you could use it within 5 minutes and be flying and i can assure you, You will love the game more because of it.

I have said 3/4 times how long it takes to make a shout combo about 5 minutes, and all you have to do is select the one at the start, Play the game if you go 1-0 up against a big side switch to a counter shout because they will more than likely come at you so hit them on the break.

Thisis very very basic Football knowledge and so easy to incorporate in FM in (after you set up the shouts) i click of a mouse button. Surely you have time to do that

Do you realise that plug and play tactics relied on bugs to work? They took advantage of flaws in the game, that's the only reason they worked and people called them plug and play. All SI have done if fix flaws and that's why majority of these so called super tactics don't work because they never should have to begin with, they were exploiting something that was broken.

I created a tactic in FM10 (classic tactic), which I'm still 'plugging in and playing' with FM13. And it works brilliantly in FM13, better than any tactic I've downloaded so far and tried.

I didn't build it on bugs or flaws within the game, I just set up a very simple 4-4-2 with common sense, and its still working 3 FM's later, just as effective as in FM10. Over the previous 3 FM's I've used it on tops team, like Man United and also lower teams, like Oldham, Notts Forrest, Crawley, and it has the same results.

I'm not for one minute, as tactical genius whatsoever, but I think sometimes, people look way too deep in this game and try to create some sort of myth about needing to be a tactic guru to build tactics - at the end of the day we are playing a game, its not real life football, no where near.

It is a total misconception you have to micromanage in the TC or spend masses of time playing matches. I know for a fact that Cleon plays through seasons more quickly than previously because of the TC.

As for reading, I haven't written a TT&F since the TC was introduced, because I don't have to. You don't have to read anything more than my brief 12 point guide to understand the basics. From there, as Mr Hough says, if you have an ounce of football knowledge, you'll be able to create solid tactics in minutes and, once you've mastered it, (get this) never, ever have to rely on anyone's super-tactic again, in any FM, ever.

This was always going to happen eventually. Once the ME got sophisticated enough to plug all the holes, super-tactics were going to die. You can either rage about it or embrace it. I don't see the point of the former, so I'm going to push the latter. Pretty much everybody who's switched is having more fun than they did before. Given the evidence, I'm reasonably secure that anybody with a genuine love of football will experience the same increase in enjoyment once they've let go of the super-tactic method. All it takes is a leap of faith.

It is a total misconception you have to micromanage in the TC or spend masses of time playing matches. I know for a fact that Cleon plays through seasons more quickly than previously because of the TC.

As for reading, I haven't written a TT&F since the TC was introduced, because I don't have to. You don't have to read anything more than my brief 12 point guide to understand the basics. From there, as Mr Hough says, if you have an ounce of football knowledge, you'll be able to create solid tactics in minutes and, once you've mastered it, (get this) never, ever have to rely on anyone's super-tactic again, in any FM, ever.

This was always going to happen eventually. Once the ME got sophisticated enough to plug all the holes, super-tactics were going to die. You can either rage about it or embrace it. I don't see the point of the former, so I'm going to push the latter. Pretty much everybody who's switched is having more fun than they did before. Given the evidence, I'm reasonably secure that anybody with a genuine love of football will experience the same increase in enjoyment once they've let go of the super-tactic method. All it takes is a leap of faith.

I play at such a fast pace now. I think in total I've played 14 seasons on FM13 already. I hardly ever make any changes in game anymore and if I do, I just add a custom shout I'll have created to deal with the situation. No micro managing at all if you don't want to. I'm not sure why people think you have to micro manage, using the sliders is a lot more micro managing compared to the TC. The most time consuming bit for me now is creating all the different groups of shouts I use which takes about 10 minutes to do at the start of any new save. It takes seconds to make a tactic using the TC.

I'm not sure where all this 'you have to read loads and micro manage' is coming from though. If people think that, then I'm sorry but they don't fully understand what the TC is about at all.

I also don't see the point of complaining. SI aren't going to turn around and deliberately program in an exploit so super-tactics can work again. They're not going to put in a win button. Mr Hough and Loversleaper are using the TC, which reduces the number of people capable of making a genuine super-tactic to the bare minimum.

You can moan and rant about wanting to play FM a different way, but it is wasted effort. Unless somebody suddenly flukes a super-tactic from somewhere, you have four choices:

1: Give up playing FM

2: Go back a version

3: Try to learn how the sliders work

4: Try to learn how the TC works

Given that FM is such a part of many people's lives, I think option four will be the least painful.

@wwfan

I gave the TC a go. I've made a very simple 4-4-2, and used 1 set of shouts to play against PSV, Feyenoord, Twente and AZ. I'm NEC Nijmegen. I've managed to win against PSV, Feyenoord and AZ.

It took me an hour.

Congratulations. Once you've become more experienced, you should be able to play even more quickly, as Cleon has evidenced.

I've been using some tactics made by TheBetterHalf, they're not TC but they don't exploit either so you have to watch and understand whats going on in the games for them to be effective. This to me is micromanaging (or time consuming) as I have to watch a lot of the game and if I had absolutely no clue about football tactics, or when to implement them, then I expect they would fail quite badly, and for people to understand football tactics they would have to read up about them.

Does this not apply to the TC?

Edit - I'm about to start a new season so maybe I'll just give it a try and see where I end up.

I've been using some tactics made by TheBetterHalf, they're not TC but they don't exploit either so you have to watch and understand whats going on in the games for them to be effective. This to me is micromanaging (or time consuming) as I have to watch a lot of the game and if I had absolutely no clue about football tactics, or when to implement them, then I expect they would fail quite badly, and for people to understand football tactics they would have to read up about them.

Does this not apply to the TC?

Until you've got used to it. Once you have, you can fly through games. If you know so little about football that you don't understand the TC concepts, then you'll struggle. But why would you be playing FM?

Edit - I'm about to start a new season so maybe I'll just give it a try and see where I end up.

TBH's tactics are all based on TT&F theories, which also inform the TC. I doubt you'll see much difference, other than you having far more flexibility in changing things.

Exactly my question.

What do you use to Park the bus ??

Cheers

I'm just in work at the minute lads do I can't post any screenies! But it's pretty simple guys...just pick the shouts that u think will help ur team "park the bus" & not let the opposition have a sniff at goal!

I'll post a screenshot wen I get home!

Mr Hough, perhaps from now on you could look to produce Team specific tactic or formation specific tactics.

If you see what I mean.....If the TC and shouts are the way forward people will be one, using it to make formations and then use shouts to adjust how the team play within that formation, or two, they will make team specific formations (slightly more tailored towards a certain team) then use shouts to adjust how the team play at certain times in a game ie (when ahead, when losing)

Not sure If i've explained the two situations correctly, its just an idea though..

I also don't see the point of complaining. SI aren't going to turn around and deliberately program in an exploit so super-tactics can work again. They're not going to put in a win button. Mr Hough and Loversleaper are using the TC, which reduces the number of people capable of making a genuine super-tactic to the bare minimum.

You can moan and rant about wanting to play FM a different way, but it is wasted effort. Unless somebody suddenly flukes a super-tactic from somewhere, you have four choices:

Given that FM is such a part of many people's lives, I think option four will be the least painful.

So you're saying that your goal is not to see any tactic that works for everyone downloaded on this forum ?

I like how we are all willfully ignoring the fact that the ME has tons of faceplanting obvious bugs/exploits. This will be my last post on this subject since we are not really going anywhere and your a mod and im not :) but for some of us [Maybe a minority i dont know] it is not about results, i get those, its about the simple fact that earlier i could fine tune my players away from stupid behavior and how i cant. And by the way i used TC before [with advanced Instructions] and i use TC now [with advanced instructions for no long shots and some custom shouts]

Its not the wizard thats my problem, heck i like the wizard and its a great tool to anybody that didnt understand slider assembly to enjoy the game. Its the constant nonsensical behavior that annoys me and since i cannot do 1 because staring at a wall doesnt work and that thing called Fifa Manager is a joke for old age, 2 because it just feels wrong to me, and neither 3 or 4 seems to fix my issue im just going to shut up and enjoy the moments i can while hoping that SI either reads the relatively high amount of complaints or data mines and realizes that 4 own goals every week is not a normal that you should be going for.

To close my apologies to Mr Hough for completely getting off topic. And to anyone else who was here to read about a specific tactic and instead has had to put up with irrelevant things.

Being forced to use shouts is the dumbest mechanic I've ever seen in a video game. How is it realistic to have pre-made shouts that you even START games with? When do you see managers barking out instructions as the players kick off? They would be seen as inept as all the match preparation should have long since been completed by that stage. Many managers never even leave the dugout unless it's to argue with the 4th official. To make matters worse, the UI doesn't even let you start the game with your preset so you have to pause the game 30 seconds in and start applying your shouts. Can you imagine that in real life? 30 seconds after kickoff the manager jumps out of his seat and realises he'd forgotten to relay some vital tactic instructions despite having all week to prepare, it's absurd.

This is the worst design decision in the history of CM/FM and I am 100% sure it will be reflected in sales figures come the next release. We shouldn't be pigeon holed into playing a certain way just to be effective. I am boycotting Sports Interactive until they undo this mistake or someone like Knap comes up with a good plug and play tactic. Shame on all the tactic developers who have "seen the light" or as I like to call it SOLD OUT.

Being forced to use shouts is the dumbest mechanic I've ever seen in a video game. How is it realistic to have pre-made shouts that you even START games with? When do you see managers barking out instructions as the players kick off? They would be seen as inept as all the match preparation should have long since been completed by that stage. Many managers never even leave the dugout unless it's to argue with the 4th official. To make matters worse, the UI doesn't even let you start the game with your preset so you have to pause the game 30 seconds in and start applying your shouts. Can you imagine that in real life? 30 seconds after kickoff the manager jumps out of his seat and realises he'd forgotten to relay some vital tactic instructions despite having all week to prepare, it's absurd.

This is the worst design decision in the history of CM/FM and I am 100% sure it will be reflected in sales figures come the next release. We shouldn't be pigeon holed into playing a certain way just to be effective. I am boycotting Sports Interactive until they undo this mistake or someone like Knap comes up with a good plug and play tactic. Shame on all the tactic developers who have "seen the light" or as I like to call it SOLD OUT.

I haven't seen the light far from but i get what SI are doing and i'm rolling with it because it makes my life easier and my FM experiance more enjoyable, When i think about it Why i spent weeks tweaking and testing different formations, I must have been out of my mind, I hardly got any satisfaction from FM in the 3 years i have been making tactics because all i have been doing is making tactics and then i get about 2 months to play before the ne FM comes out to start all over again.

Why would i want to do that again when i can use shouts to achieve the same success.

It annoys me when i see these kind of posts but what can you do

I haven't seen the light far from but i get what SI are doing and i'm rolling with it because it makes my life easier and my FM experiance more enjoyable, When i think about it Why i spent weeks tweaking and testing different formations, I must have been out of my mind, I hardly got any satisfaction from FM in the 3 years i have been making tactics because all i have been doing is making tactics and then i get about 2 months to play before the ne FM comes out to start all over again.

Why would i want to do that again when i can use shouts to achieve the same success.

It annoys me when i see these kind of posts but what can you do

Dave i know i said above i wont continue on this, but i just had to add something :) i agree with you as far as the TC goes, but dont you think that there was a very great feeling when you hit that sweet spot after weeks on a tactic like you just discovered a new continent? instead now its more like Ok i have this team, and ill do this playstyle , if it doesnt work ill take off that shout maybe use that OI and hope for the best. And of course best is your team slightly overachieving :)

I'm gonna end up with splinters up my backside on this one, sitting on the fence!! From a football simulation point of view, the above poster has a valid point, yes, a "real" football manager might issue one or two last minute motivational comments as his boys trot out of the dressing room, but he certainly wouldn't be issuing complex tactical instructions as they cross the white line to get on to the pitch!! By the way, you can issue the shouts in the team talk section before the game commences, you don't have to wait till the game starts!!

The point being, that in all the marketing, SI proclaim that this "game" is a realistic simulation, enabling the player to get a taste of what it would be like to be a football manager! However, we all need to remember, that it is a "game" and certain compromises have to be addressed in order to achieve that!

I find it fascinating that most of the master tacticians on this forum have all realised that their tactical efforts can now be achieved, using a much simpler method - and probably will come up with tactics that are just as effective as before. However - it looks like it is now tactical creation for the masses - and that can only be a good thing!!

I'm off now to see if I can come up with a tactical creation of my own, rather than downloading the latest effort from one of the "gurus"

Best of luck to all - whichever way you choose to go!!

Dave i know i said above i wont continue on this, but i just had to add something :) i agree with you as far as the TC goes, but dont you think that there was a very great feeling when you hit that sweet spot after weeks on a tactic like you just discovered a new continent? instead now its more like Ok i have this team, and ill do this playstyle , if it doesnt work ill take off that shout maybe use that OI and hope for the best. And of course best is your team slightly overachieving :)

Yeah it was a great feeling, But the weeks it took to make the tactic wasn't great, i used to love thinking right what can i come up with this time but after a while it was annoying somewhat because i hardly got to play the game, Everyone else got the benefit from my work and i missed out because i was making tactics all the time.

Entirely my fault but i certainly don't wanna go down that route again

Sales are a very big part of football manager .. and this new way of playing the game will hit SI real hard .

football manager built up a great fan base over the years because the game was fun ..

but now with the touch line shouts being the way foward has in my mind taken that fun away ..

Main reason are :

You will need to watch pretty much the hole game in order to use the shouts

Plus you need to understand what each shouts does , yes its been pointed out in about 300 lines of reading .. like your going to remenber all that wile in a game .

Plus you cannot even use theses shouts wile playing FMC .

its all going the wrong way for me .

And once the sales of FM are hit badly then there will be no FM

its hole core was built on simplistically of the game .....

• 1 month later...

I have been quitely working on a new tactic for a few days now, it's a 4-1-2-2-1 and i'm currently in the final testing stages of it.

I have so far tested with Middlesbrough currently leading the championship by 13 points after 20 odd games and i'm doing a final test with Tottenham.

I'll post screens up later tonight of Middlesbrough

I did plan on getting some screens out today but had to do other things, I am off work tomorrow so i will finish my season with Middlesbrough which i m currently 1st after 25 games and 18 points clear of second place.

Things are going well

Archived