*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

Decided to first try out a 4-2-3-1 formation. Tried to make it balanced because i'm working with a new ME so don't know how creative freedom, closing down, tackling, roaming etc. will effect the games. I have a reasonable start (1-1-1 after a similar pre-season), but find myself watching matches and having absolutely no clue whatsoever as to what to change. Players are acting ******** half of the time (3 players ignoring the ball to allow 1 opposition through on goal, pushing up when a) i'm not playing offside trap and b) the ball has gone the opposite direction - you get the idea) so how am I supposed to know what is down to the engines bugs, what is down to my tactics vs their tactics, and what is down to players limitations? If familiarity is important, then why are we, the players, at such a disadvantage by having to start with an unfarmiliar tactic straight away? If I want to start a match with a different mentality, the familiarity is bumped down - yet i'm handicapped by only being able to have 3 available tactics. Do I really want to waste 3 slots on the same system with different mentalities? Where does it tell me how important these things are!?

Shouldn't this be intuitive? Shouldn't I be able to pick up indicators about what the game is telling me to improve my chances? It wasn't so bad on FM12 because it was fairly easy to drop any old system together as long as it semi-made sense, and you'd do ok. I'm not saying that's any better than this, I totally get the need to get away from that and I really WANT to find my way into FM13's tactics. I want to be mixing it up depending on other things but where am I supposed to learn what to change for what opposition system/players/weather etc.

I've felt like this from time to time ever since I started playing FM, but I've put a fair few hours into FM13 and can confidently tell you that it will get better, but you'll need to probably expand the scope of things you're examining when planning on making tactical adjustments.

In your example, the 4-5-1 team were almost certainly playing defensively such that when your 4-2-3-1 got into their half they dropped (too deeply) into their box, which lead to your 100+ passes-per-MC. This is an issues that has been discussed a bit in this thread, so might not reflect on your tactics too much, however your failure to break them down when compacted like that is no accident. When this happens in real football teams also find the "park the bus" difficult to pull apart. The problem for the AI with the 4-5-1-defensive is that the 3 MCs are too quick to drop off your MC-MC-AMC when the going get's rough, and they end up with only a single player (the striker) far up the pitch, and if your FBs are not too far forward, maybe their wingers will come out once in awhile as well.

You can try to employ a tactical system that prevents them getting into a situation of parking the bus like that, and there are various ways of going about that, or you can work on developing a system to break them down once they've over-compacted. So far in FM13 I think the former is probably the better route in almost all levels of play: You have more tools / opportunities at your disposal when they are attacking you, then after the 5 seconds it takes them to collapse.

As far as examining the game to make adjustments, it sounds like you are looking at the right things, and somewhat closely. You'll get there as long as you keep going and keep your mind open to re-interpreting what various settings do. For example "Short Passing" isn't usually prescribed for lower level teams because in the way that SI have implemented things "Short Passing" also means "More indirect passing". I wish it were "Short-vs-Long" and "Direct-vs-Indirect", but alas, no. So rethink some of your assumptions while watching various settings play out. Soon enough it will start making sense again.

TL;DR: 1st Bold (above): This is why FM is so much fun and so infuriating to play: It can be very difficult to know, and you have to use reasonable approximations until you're much more familiar with the ME / attributes / TC.

2nd Bold (above): You can and you will. Get your team to stumble into mid-season when gelling and familiarity start getting better and then carefully try on different settings, one at a time. Or try playing with a top team so that you can isolate out the "player error" problems with consistency / decisions / concentration, etc.. I do that every year before starting in LLM. The Tactical instructions are similar to FM12, but understanding when and where to apply them really takes some hands on experience.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's happening to the AI as well, which seems to suggest that it's not about human tactics. I have had my own share of stringing 20+ passes together within the opponents third.

Just compare the passing from a match report in-game to one from a real match; there is a vastly unproportional number of passes being played in the opponents third. There are probably several reasons for it, but I'd wager that the main one is that midfielders just aren't aggressive enough when it comes to closing down opponents who are ~20-25 yards away from their own goal.

Being pinned down in your own third like that of course happens less if you play with a very high line (which means they rarely have controlled possession in your third to begin with), but that doesn't make the problem go away.

The issue is that they fall back way too deep, leaving acres of space at the edge and around the penalty area.

And when the ball does arrive at the midfielder lurking outside the penalty area, it takes much too long to close him down, so he has all the time in the world to take a shot or pick out a pass.

Just noticed the same exact thing. Only 2 opponents in my own penalty area and my two CMs drop back waaaaaaay to the penalty spot area (one of them even deeper) leaving midfielders from the opposite team and the whole 16-25m area completely free.

4s before a goal. 2 opponents, 7 of my players in the area around them. Marked my CMs (of the is Ball Winning Midfielder).

uza6q.jpg

5s later, number 8 passes to 10, shot on goal, GOAL. Where were my CM? Ridiculous.

RcHHl.jpg

Some feedback on the regens.

-There are still too many tall regens (like in fm12). If you sort the players by length two or three seasons in you notice that 17-18 out of the 20 tallest players in the game are all regens aged 15-17.

-The set piece attributes (mainly penalties and free kicks) on regens are also still way too high (same on fm12). Or maybe theyre completely randomized since they dont affect the CA/PA that much (?), which still leaves tonnes of 15-16 year olds with 17+ in set pieces and penalties which looks quite ridiculous.

wanted to know why not put the option to go into vacation in the middle of the match? I hate having to sell the whole entire match, no use going on vacation in the middle of the game because the other team chooses assistant coach for the match. why you guys do not make a patch to fix this in fm 11, 10, 09, 08 had the option of going on holiday why the 12 and 13 do not they? I'm seriously considering whether I'll buy this year very disappointed with the way the 12 and 13 also. sorry my english, I'm brazilian, and here is my dissatisfaction with the latest games.

Anybody else noticing ridiculous passing stats for players? Lower league Swedish teams shouldn't be consistently achieving players with 100+ passes (149 the highest i've had so far - none of them 'key passes'). All these passes without playing a short passing game too.

This is the age old problem. How do you make such a complex game innately simple to play? If you write a massive document, nobody reads it. A slimline document doesn't cover enough. Ultimately, you end up relying on the forums and the spread of knowledge through the forums. Some of this knowledge helps people learn, some of it breaks the ME. If you follow the former, you'll adjust to each and every FM with ease. If the latter, you need to adjust to every ME build, which is hugely frustrating.

Please sir, I would. :)

I've felt like this from time to time ever since I started playing FM, but I've put a fair few hours into FM13 and can confidently tell you that it will get better, but you'll need to probably expand the scope of things you're examining when planning on making tactical adjustments.

In your example, the 4-5-1 team were almost certainly playing defensively such that when your 4-2-3-1 got into their half they dropped (too deeply) into their box, which lead to your 100+ passes-per-MC. This is an issues that has been discussed a bit in this thread, so might not reflect on your tactics too much, however your failure to break them down when compacted like that is no accident. When this happens in real football teams also find the "park the bus" difficult to pull apart. The problem for the AI with the 4-5-1-defensive is that the 3 MCs are too quick to drop off your MC-MC-AMC when the going get's rough, and they end up with only a single player (the striker) far up the pitch, and if your FBs are not too far forward, maybe their wingers will come out once in awhile as well.

You can try to employ a tactical system that prevents them getting into a situation of parking the bus like that, and there are various ways of going about that, or you can work on developing a system to break them down once they've over-compacted. So far in FM13 I think the former is probably the better route in almost all levels of play: You have more tools / opportunities at your disposal when they are attacking you, then after the 5 seconds it takes them to collapse.

As far as examining the game to make adjustments, it sounds like you are looking at the right things, and somewhat closely. You'll get there as long as you keep going and keep your mind open to re-interpreting what various settings do. For example "Short Passing" isn't usually prescribed for lower level teams because in the way that SI have implemented things "Short Passing" also means "More indirect passing". I wish it were "Short-vs-Long" and "Direct-vs-Indirect", but alas, no. So rethink some of your assumptions while watching various settings play out. Soon enough it will start making sense again.

TL;DR: 1st Bold (above): This is why FM is so much fun and so infuriating to play: It can be very difficult to know, and you have to use reasonable approximations until you're much more familiar with the ME / attributes / TC.

2nd Bold (above): You can and you will. Get your team to stumble into mid-season when gelling and familiarity start getting better and then carefully try on different settings, one at a time. Or try playing with a top team so that you can isolate out the "player error" problems with consistency / decisions / concentration, etc.. I do that every year before starting in LLM. The Tactical instructions are similar to FM12, but understanding when and where to apply them really takes some hands on experience.

Thanks for the response. I do appreciate that they were defensive in my example, and I don't expect to just break teams down - but if you look at the match as it would be IRL, there's no way a lower league team like that would a) not capitulate at some point with such sustained pressure and b) they would, themselves, end up dominating the match in terms of chances.

I really do hope I will come to terms with it. I'm winning games I just don't get that satisfaction yet because I genuinely don't think my changes are, in general, doing very much about that. Feels lucky as opposed to because my system is working. I'm trying different things I just wish there was a lot more feedback than there is. Half the time there's pop ups like "XXX is an excellent crosser and we should close him down before he creates a goal" are a) players that are rubbish at crossing and b) i'm already doing all I can to close them down!

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but I have had problems negotiating wages. In FM2012 I was able to keep my wage budget under control by limiting the weekly wage using bonuses and paying larger agents fees and loyalty bonuses. However using the bonuses and such has no real effect on the wage level as the player simply takes the additional bonuses but maintains the wage demand. Is it because I'm an inexperienced manager or can this be sorted with an update to make players more flexible?

wanted to know why not put the option to go into vacation in the middle of the match? .
You can go on vacation before the match, as usual. It is in the arrow next to your manager name on the top bar. "Actions- go on holiday"

Thanks for the response. I do appreciate that they were defensive in my example, and I don't expect to just break teams down - but if you look at the match as it would be IRL, there's no way a lower league team like that would a) not capitulate at some point with such sustained pressure and b) they would, themselves, end up dominating the match in terms of chances.

I really do hope I will come to terms with it. I'm winning games I just don't get that satisfaction yet because I genuinely don't think my changes are, in general, doing very much about that. Feels lucky as opposed to because my system is working. I'm trying different things I just wish there was a lot more feedback than there is. Half the time there's pop ups like "XXX is an excellent crosser and we should close him down before he creates a goal" are a) players that are rubbish at crossing and b) i'm already doing all I can to close them down!

Well I do sympathize. Been there myself dozens of times. You're quite right to point out that such a situation wouldn't likely occur at lower levels in the way that it does, but you can play FM or you can play Football. In FM there are ways to combat this as the manager, which means that your underlying most predominant problem, Not being able to suss out how to adjust your tactics, does have some things you can do, thankfully. So the other problem of the game not playing out realistically, that will probably not feel so bad once you're winning and making changes that you feel confident about. :D

Just bought the game and stuck it in there, and while I'm not even playing as Barcelona, the first thing I notice is Christian Tello has 12 (!!!) in pace! Same goes for Pedro... Honestly, that is truly ridiculous as Tello has a rapid tempo in him. I will bet any of you that Tello would beat Messi on a 40-60 meter run....and Messi has 16!

Tello is probably on of the fastest players out there these days, and is rated 12 in pace... just wow.

I think my biggest gripe is how the midfield sits with the defence allowing the opposition unbelievable space just outside the box to pick passes and shots at will!

I've tried setting the centre mids to pressing fully, tight man marking - anything, and they just don't listen

the problem and that the assistant coach the team completely different scale to mine.

He uses different players than you've told him too? I find that as well. Don't know what to tell you about that. Maybe if you choose to use both the same tactics and players you've selected he'll try harder?

Meh, after playing a few matches in the demo I broke down and bought it.

The ME's not as bad as many are saying, it needs work obviously. There is still the sloppy play issues from other versions, and the players ignoring balls they could easily play seems a little more prevalent then the past, but its not terrible.

The changes outside the ME look ALOT better to be honest so that's cool and I know the Me will get better after a couple patches. So I decide to not wait and support SI on this one, although buying it is mainly due to being impatient and wanting some more football. Just hope the updates are worth it.

The game certainly isn't rubbish and the ME isn't the worst thing of all time, but there are definite improvements that need making.

For me there's a lack of player control in the ME. Players seem to take ages to actually realise they've got the ball, and then they get tackled. The whole 'random' concept seems to ring true as well.

The game kinda looks a bit bloated but that's probably just because the interface (loads more drop down menus etc.) is so much more beefier than FM12. I think this is something that people will eventually acclimatise to.

One worrying thing for me is the speed at which it runs. The dragging of a player to substitute him takes ages and his icon jitters all over the screen with massive delay. I'm using a MacBook Pro so I really shouldn't be experiencing such problems. I've found myself resorting back to FM12 and it runs like a dream, even in the year 2025. Surely there can't be THAT much of a difference between the two games? I'm running them both with three countries and the same number of leagues.

New editions of FM always seem to get panned but it seems to be a bit more than usual this year. Does anyone know yet if there's there going to be a patch of any sort released?

O.K. guys I will give you my opinion on this game and the series. (Iam not a native speaker so excuse my grammar). I really like the game (overall as a computer game) and the entire series, however, Iam done with it because as a football simulation it really lacks a lot. I know you (SI) have probably heard it like thousand times, but it doesn´t matter how many new features there are every year as long as the basic things are flawed. Iam not saying this game sucks, but I can not help myself, I´ve been seeing the same flaws in the ME for years. It seems that every year there is something repaired but at the same time a new flaw appears. There are so many bugs in this new ME that I really understand people who are angry, and quite frankly Iam one of them, even though I understand it´s difficult to simulate football. One of my biggest complaints every year is that while I create literally dozens of goalscoring chances, I rarely convert them while CPU tends to have quite the opposite "problem", it is prolific. I recall quitting a season in FM 2012 after so many ******** games where i had 15+ shots on target and no goal and computer converted exactly one shot almost every time. Iam not lying, I remember that throughout 29 games I had 15 shots on average while comp. had 2. And he always scored at least one goal. These are the things that literally ruin the gameplay and unfortunately this year it is the same. Why? Is it so to make the game more difficult? Also how such a buggy engine could have been released in a full game is beyond me. You want constructive criticism and feedback and I understand, but i want a polished product for 30 pounds, not a raw something that will probably be pretty good in 6 months time. Regarding this years ME, the biggest flaws to me are: Poor closing down in certain areas of the pitch(Mainly in front of penalty box), defenders are afraid of ball and tackling, their marking is joke, especially fullbacks are just..well...poor. Way, way too many shots. It looks like hockey. Goalkeepers make unbelievable saves only to later concede goal from halfline or poor free kick. Players do not obey your commands(especially ball distribution by keepers is bad). Players can score and instead they pass back or take a shot from 20 yards even though they are free on keeper.(But they would not score from one on one anyway) Also this year the ME is so unpredictable that sometimes you can have a decent realistic game and the next time you just say: W..T...F. This is not a rant and I by now means want to insult anyone.

That's very hard to read. Break it in paragraphs.

Does anyone know yet if there's there going to be a patch of any sort released?

There always have been and there's no reason to think there won't be this year but of course they are never pre announced.

Kriss - That's good to know. I think I might carry on with my FM12 game in the mean time as I'm finding it hard to part with it!

That's always been my biggest FM issue (not with SI, or even FM as a a game). I only play a network game with my housemate so it's a lot slower than a solo career would be and we're never bored of it by the time the next one comes along!

Just bought the game and stuck it in there, and while I'm not even playing as Barcelona, the first thing I notice is Christian Tello has 12 (!!!) in pace! Same goes for Pedro... Honestly, that is truly ridiculous as Tello has a rapid tempo in him. I will bet any of you that Tello would beat Messi on a 40-60 meter run....and Messi has 16!

Tello is probably on of the fastest players out there these days, and is rated 12 in pace... just wow.

Is it possible that his stats haven't been updated? I know he played some last season, though, so not sure why this should ever be the case.

The issue we are having in interpretation of the individual sliders. The ME, TC and game in general is built around them being conceptually linked. You want them to be individual tools that operate independently of each other.

Wwfan it doesn't matter if those are sliders through which I "communicate" to the player what I expect him to do, or telephone or email or whatever. You focus on the wrong thing. I'm talking in these terms because this is the "medium" by which I'm telling the players of my team what I expect them to do in this game.

If you told me what instructions I had to give to achieve what I asked for (which is very simple) I would do so. But nobody told me, aside from convincing me and others that our way of thinking is wrong, and the way of thinking of how it is presented in the game is right. And the reason why nobody said so is that it was impossible to do, because the game engine does not allow it, because it couldn't process this kind of setting in the right way, how it should be. So excuses were made and I left this topic without a reply cause I knew there was no point.

The issue is not that I'm speaking of sliders. The issue is that you, or the team of SI decided something for me based on some predicament. When I sense that and I see that during the match I feel contaminated by something and my player is not obaying my simple instruction that has to do with him and him alone (not the teamplay as a whole) then I know things are not good.

And I don't want this to sound wrong(which is hard, but please bear that in mind) but I'm not some 11 year old kid who wants to play football by setting tactic in 5 minutes. I still remember I think Rashid or Cleon doing a FM2006 chalange, which was one of the hardest chalanges I remember, where you had to take Serie C2 side from Italy and win CL, SerieA and CI, and sooner or later people resigned from the challange cause it was very hard, and it was. I still have this FM save and I was able to win that challange.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that I'm not like people that come often here and say "Help me, I cannot win a lick in this game". I understand (humbly to some degree) tactics, but I won't get into it if I feel I'm being cheated and my players are not following my basic instructions, because someone "upstairs" said it just isn't how teams play in real life.

I really couldn't care less of some player animations, or any of it. I always used 2d view as it showed me all I had to see and I loved when it arrived. The 3d is just for the younger gamers and I understand it. But I do expect game to allow me freedom to set my team however and whichever way I want, because this is the sole reason of this game, and if I see this part of the game is not as it should be, then I won't be spending my time on it.

I will have chance to play the game quite soon so I will investigate if the problem I brought up before is still there.

Yeah WizbaII, can't really understand how they have come to this conclusion, and even though it's just a minor flaw, it's still annoying as I premarily bought the game this early for an updated squad valuation of teams around the globe. Because the game is bound to be patched up soon anyway (like it does every year) so won't start a proper savegame until they've fixed the first glaring bugs.

Wwfan it doesn't matter if those are sliders through which I "communicate" to the player what I expect him to do, or telephone or email or whatever. You focus on the wrong thing. I'm talking in these terms because this is the "medium" by which I'm telling the players of my team what I expect them to do in this game.

I know you are, but you won't take context into consideration. Until you do, the we'll never find common ground. Telling a player he has mentality and creative freedom of 1 has no meaning in itself. You want it to be interpreted a certain way and consider the game to be broken if it isn't. It is being interpreted a different way, taking into account the context of your strategy, the opposition's formation, where the ball is on the pitch, etc, etc.

The biggest repeating debate I have on these forums is with a user with the same mindset. He wants the sliders to work through his interpretation. If they aren't, then he regards everything in the game to be wrong. I've tried to explain 100 times to him that if he could forget how he thinks things should work and embrace how they do work, he'll have far more joy with the game, but it never gets through.

He's far more belligerent and aggressive than you, so it makes for a difficult discussion. However, the point is the same. The sliders do not mean what you want them to mean. I'm afraid there's nothing to be done about that.

I know you are, but you won't take context into consideration. Until you do, the we'll never find common ground. Telling a player he has mentality and creative freedom of 1 has no meaning in itself. You want it to be interpreted a certain way and consider the game to be broken if it isn't. It is being interpreted a different way, taking into account the context of your strategy, the opposition's formation, where the ball is on the pitch, etc, etc.

The biggest repeating debate I have on these forums is with a user with the same mindset. He wants the sliders to work through his interpretation. If they aren't, then he regards everything in the game to be wrong. I've tried to explain 100 times to him that if he could forget how he thinks things should work and embrace how they do work, he'll have far more joy with the game, but it never gets through.

He's far more belligerent and aggressive than you, so it makes for a difficult discussion. However, the point is the same. The sliders do not mean what you want them to mean. I'm afraid there's nothing to be done about that.

The only real issue for me is, has SI done a good enough job of making sure people know what the sliders mean? Probably not, unless you've been playing for a long time.

The only real issue for me is, has SI done a good enough job of making sure people know what the sliders mean? Probably not, unless you've been playing for a long time.

SI have always given out very little info about how things work. It's only through the likes of wwfan that we know as much as we do about the sliders.

Wwfan,

i read earlier you were working on a new guide but it was too long, any chance i could get hold of a version?? I could do with the help :) past versions helped me a lot!!!

i am enjoying this game and i'm treating this as a brand new game, not thinking about how i did things in past editions. what i really like is more realism and that 1 tactic wont win everything, you do have to modify per opponent.

funny reading a lot of people moaning about any team passing like barca and getting 100+ passes a game. happened to me but i realized: a) they had so much space due to lack of pressing. b) more advanced players are marked out of the game or not moving to find space. i am working on it to overcome it and others should too.

please please wwfan i would love something to help my understanding and get some ideas!!

Guys at si: you do a great job and keep on working and improving the game for many years to come

It's not just about the sliders though, it's other player instructions as well.

e.g. I play with a midfielder who has long shots set to "rarely" and through balls set to "often", yet he still regularly tries more long shots in a game than he does through balls.

Wwfan,

i read earlier you were working on a new guide but it was too long, any chance i could get hold of a version?? I could do with the help :) past versions helped me a lot!!!

i am enjoying this game and i'm treating this as a brand new game, not thinking about how i did things in past editions. what i really like is more realism and that 1 tactic wont win everything, you do have to modify per opponent.

funny reading a lot of people moaning about any team passing like barca and getting 100+ passes a game. happened to me but i realized: a) they had so much space due to lack of pressing. b) more advanced players are marked out of the game or not moving to find space. i am working on it to overcome it and others should too.

please please wwfan i would love something to help my understanding and get some ideas!!

Guys at si: you do a great job and keep on working and improving the game for many years to come

Not this year, I'm afraid. I'm too busy.

I'm hoping to do something for next year.

I am getting Windows 8 next week can I just check the only things I cannot do is post to Facebook and view the manual, if so that is fine as I only post on twitter anyway and that is not a big lose if i cannot do anyway.

btw posting about feedback I think the game looks alot better with a dark skin. I have the Carbon skin with blue and white attributes and it looks fab

jamesmilneroverviewprof.png

Mr. Isaac there is my def CM and he is being pressed in a very dangerous situation. He has easy passing options (right footed, can knock it to the DR any time), but instead holds the ball and I concede. I know the ME must include some defensive mistakes, but I'm mad and it does look stupid in the 3D.

[video=youtube;3ShBs5uexqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ShBs5uexqI

I like FM13

I like the challenge

I don't want it dumbed down for ranting people

I am concerned that it will be spoilt

We seem to have 2 camps, 1 for realism and 1 for enjoyment.

I'm in both camps I enjoy the realism as the triumph brings greater enjoyment.

maybe next year make the classic with skill settings and leave the full fat for the realistic simulation.

I believe in this engine, I believe it will be improved as all the other versions were.

ok finally got it and based on first impressions id give it a 7/10.

of the new features ive found i do like the chief scout sending the other scouts out, should save some time, more than just the quick glance i gave the new training is needed but it looks a lot different to what im used to and im not sure what im doing with my director of football, im guessing hes kind of a transfers version of setting the ass man to do teamtalks etc

the interface seems very bloated and a bit too much hunting looks like its needed , not sure if the skin makers can do anything with that

the match engine seemed more than ok to me, but based on one preseason game so the players were not match fit. one thing that stood out for me is my team actually played how i wanted them to, keep in mind i didnt ask them to do anything other than a basic 4-4-2 but my wingers crossed and my targetman even scored a header. the only downside i really saw was the other teams keeper had a shocker, sort of half hearted in coming for the ball... his rusing out was 10 and decisons10 say maybe it was that

so

match engine ok and if its like every other version that will improve

new features and touches seem very nice

training is a meh so far

but the ui seems harder work than before

I like FM13

I like the challenge

I don't want it dumbed down for ranting people

I am concerned that it will be spoilt

We seem to have 2 camps, 1 for realism and 1 for enjoyment.

I'm in both camps I enjoy the realism as the triumph brings greater enjoyment.

maybe next year make the classic with skill settings and leave the full fat for the realistic simulation.

I believe in this engine, I believe it will be improved as all the other versions were.

I know difficulty settings have been floated around FM a lot, and I for one am totally against them in terms of making the engine easier and harder - but what about a difficulty setting which doesn't make the AI/ME harder or easier, but instead, gives more feedback (and gives greater hints to what could give you greater success) on easier settings.

So the current game would be 'hard', so it wouldn't effect the lovers - and 'medium' and 'easy' would give more clear-cut and accurate feedback. Not only would that give people who just want to piddle around with random tactics a greater enjoyment it would also serve to help teach them about how to spot when things need changing in different circumstances?

Just a thought.

Mr. Isaac there is my def CM and he is being pressed in a very dangerous situation. He has easy passing options, but instead holds the ball and I concede. I know the ME must include some defensive mistakes, but I'm mad and it does look stupid in the 3D.

That's a great example of the poor final third pressing. Losing the ball isn't an issue given the success of the press. What should happen is the rest of the midfield step up tight to their men in support of the press the moment they see it being successful. The d-line then also steps up and compresses space behind the presser, meaning if he doesn't win the ball, his press has still led to a better defensive shape. By the time he's won the ball, the d-line (assuming the right settings), should be up to where the non-pressing midfielders are, who in turn should be pushing up level to the presser.

Ultimately, I don't see an issue in your player losing the ball, but in the lack of pressing support making it look weirder than it should. It looks to me like he is trying to find a free man on the side of the pitch closer to us, but is not making that pass because he's right footed and doesn't want to risk using his left as it is quite a tricky pass. That decision is the result of the good press. As he turns to look for the DR, he is dispossessed.

I think some of you need to spend less time over thinking this game and just PLAY. Plodding on with your tactics from FM12 may not work, you might need to change a few things and work out how to get the best from your players. Like a manager would. I struggled early on in my first save but have started to get my act together. Current Chelsea save....... Played 9 league games, won 8, drawn 1. Goals for 12, goals against 2. Playing 4-5-1, fluid, more roaming, direct play. Hazard, Mata and Oscar causing defenders all kinds of problems. If your tactics aren't working try changing one or two things at a time, it's easier to find out what ISN'T working that way, which in turn will help you find what DOES work. If I can win, anyone can.

I'm loving the game. Best FM yet. Sure the ME needs a tweak or two and in time it will get it. Never a perfect game on release day, have patience.

Mr. Isaac there is my def CM and he is being pressed in a very dangerous situation. He has easy passing options (right footed, can knock it to the DR any time), but instead holds the ball and I concede. I know the ME must include some defensive mistakes, but I'm mad and it does look stupid in the 3D.

What strikes me as being most stupid about that is your defender who has an age to react and cut out the through ball or at the very least get a head start tracking back goal side but does neither. You're always going to get little things like that though

hi guys, I can't play this game. it does not feel right. I have been an addict to the FM series for years playing whenever and wherever I can. But for me this is the worst one I have played. The game played does not feel right the way it plays and it seems the game is unrealistic, you never score goals from corner free-kicks or anything just does not seem right to me.

hi guys, I can't play this game. it does not feel right. I have been an addict to the FM series for years playing whenever and wherever I can. But for me this is the worst one I have played. The game played does not feel right the way it plays and it seems the game is unrealistic, you never score goals from corner free-kicks or anything just does not seem right to me.

This is untrue according to my experience. I scored several goals from corner kicks but ages away from FM 12 and its "corner exploit", and i think this is fixed and working properly now. Yeah maybe the percentage from direct free kick (straight shot on goal) it may seem a bit low, but i'm sure a little tweak should shape things better.

What strikes me as being most stupid about that is your defender who has an age to react and cut out the through ball or at the very least get a head start tracking back goal side but does neither. You're always going to get little things like that though

The DCL begins to move for the outpass just as the MC loses the ball. The DCR seems to be expecting the pass to the DR, then misses his tackle as he tries to react. Neither seems to anticipate that the MC will lose the ball. Bug or just bad anticipation? Given the level, I'm tempted to assume the latter.

why did an opposition striker pass through 3 of my defenders and run past them to then score. when inside the area in the first place heading across goal? what crazy defencive junk is that?

oh and x player is struggling to blend into squad

whats this all about? its completly random and on my top scorer in game 8

Archived