FM 2013: Manchester United Team Guide : Who needs Batman when we have Robin!

matty2323

I'm using my own tactic, one that created years ago in a previous FM game. Usually, I haven't had to adjust it and can carry on using the same tactic through each FM release, but this year I've really had to look at tactics and man management. As a result, I've had to make several adjustments to a tactic that used to work perfectly fine for previous FM titles.

As for the RvP & Rooney combo, I use RvP as a poacher and Rooney as a Complete Forward (Support) with the roam option enabled.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am using a 4-2-2-2 with fluid, control. Rooney as Deep lying forward with roaming, RVP as Poacher, Left Wing as attacking mindset and roaming(Nani, Kagawa, Young and hoping to get Bale are perfect in this position). This also allows Evra to push forward. Right wing as supportive mindset because Valencia usually focuses on getting balls in the box and can drop back and defend as well.

I have a Ball Winning Mid (Carrick or Jones, hoping to get Fellaini) for now but might change it if I can't get a solid box to box mid. MCL is a deep lying playmaker (when playing Scholes I try and play more direct passes)

Flat four with the default mindsets. I set the team to press more and the rest is default as far as I remember.

I also have another tactic 4-5-1 with a 3 man mid with two inside forwards and a lone striker. This is in situations where I might need to crowd the mid and play fast attacking football. Therefore, I have team settings to fluid, attacking, press more, short passes, counter attack (yes). I might use this against Barcelona or matches where I might need to wind down the clock and ensure I keep my lead.

I don't see the appeal in making Jones a CM. He isn't currently and very likely never will be a CM irl, and his stat distribution is that of a defender more than a midfielder as far as I can see. I am a bit intrigued as to how this is done, however. Any particular tutors or training focuses people are using?

Keep jones as a dc. He is immense and should be the 1st choice centre back from the start of the game. Such a waste to move him in my opinion of course

He is playing on MCL (ball winning ) position for me and was one of my best players in the first season !

I've Hummels and Vidic for the DC positions .

I don't see the appeal in making Jones a CM. He isn't currently and very likely never will be a CM irl, and his stat distribution is that of a defender more than a midfielder as far as I can see. I am a bit intrigued as to how this is done, however. Any particular tutors or training focuses people are using?

He played a few times in the midfield last season and did ok .. it is possible that he will play there in the future.. who will tell..

Just finished season 1, really successful start. Won the league with 5 games to spare, and won the FA Cup and Champions League.I used the league cup to bloold the new lplayers and they made it to the quarter finals.

Robbie Brady is looking particularly promising for me,. and Iplayed him in several league games towards the end of kthe season. Henriquez, Petrucci and Powell lalso look good, but I've lost faith in Buttner.

As soon as the season ended, a stadium expansion was announced, but I also learned that the facilities have been downgraded. I'm also getting monthly reminders that we could be in financial trouble in the coming months. Is this the beginning o the end of the Glazers?

Into my 7th season at United now, my team is made up mainly of regens now as well as Ronaldo, Messi, Ozil, Neymar and others. The only original players I still have are Rooney, Jones and Powell.

Last season we won the 2nd Champions league and 5th premier league titles of my tenure so I have entered the top 20 all time managers hall of fame and am also listed as a club legend on the information screen.

Anyone remember the regen Bradley Nolan I posted a picture of a few days ago? He scored 38 goals from 30 games in his first season and has only just turned 18 now. Looks like he will top that tally this season as he already has 16 in 9.

I did quite a lot of transfer business in the recent window for the first time for a few years, a few players were unhappy with lack of football so I sold M'Vila, Smalling and De Gea to Barcelona for a combined £60m. Lars Bender also left the club. When I signed a recent contract extension the billionaire owners added another clause to say I must buy high profile players and had began complaining that I wasn't meeting this criteria. I shut them up by purchasing Mario Gotze and 3 world class regens, including one from rivals Chelsea. I also got Marc-Andre ter Stegen on a free transfer as he had been without a club for 6 months, its incredible that no one else had snapped him up before now.

If anyone is interested I will upload some screenshots or my regens.

I am surprised no one is trying a realistic save. Most people here are spending cash left and right.

Then you didn't see how I play. I've only bought Clyne to be a back-up for Rafael at the right back in the first season. It's no because I'm trying to play it realisticaly, but because I don't see the need to spend.

Tycoon owner has just withdrawn his financial backing after 5 seasons of pumping funds into the club. On the plus side I've agreed to sell Isco for £42m to Dortmund. Also just won a 3rd champions league and 6th premier league title in 7 seasons and I'm now ranked the 4th best manager of all time.

Then you didn't see how I play. I've only bought Clyne to be a back-up for Rafael at the right back in the first season. It's no because I'm trying to play it realisticaly, but because I don't see the need to spend.

My apologies. I have tried to make some signings but keeping in mind United's financial situation. I am firmly against "buying trophies"

Tycoon owner has just withdrawn his financial backing after 5 seasons of pumping funds into the club. On the plus side I've agreed to sell Isco for £42m to Dortmund. Also just won a 3rd champions league and 6th premier league title in 7 seasons and I'm now ranked the 4th best manager of all time.

Congratulations to you on those achievements. :thup:

My apologies. I have tried to make some signings but keeping in mind United's financial situation. I am firmly against "buying trophies"

everybody knows Man utd needs to spend a bit for a few new players.. so i sold Young, bought Bale,Hummels and Fellaini.. and won everything (with some luck ) .. buying trophies ... ? don't know if u can call it like that..

I've played 8 games on my Man United save. (no transfers in first window)

I won my pre-season tour of Brazil, and won my opening 4 games of the PL season, 3-0 QPR (H), 1-2 West Ham (A), 2-0 Sunderland (H) and 2-3 Arsenal (A).

RVP is on fire, Welbeck has scored also, but Rooney is really struggling, not averaged over a 6 yet. :(

Drew Man City (A) in the League Cup though :thdn:

This was all on 13.1.2 patch, I've not played on the 13.1.3 patch yet.

Of course show the world your stars....

OK I shall put some up when I'm back on the game

Congratulations to you on those achievements. :thup:

Thanks Fabio.

I suppose you would class my transfer activity as ''buying trophies'' and I understand where you are coming from with the realistic way of playing. I wouldn't normally splash the money like I have but its very rare to get a tycoon takeover, in fact I've only ever had 2 in my years of playing FM plus its probably the only chance I would ever get to manage players like Messi and the others.

I suppose you would class my transfer activity as ''buying trophies'' and I understand where you are coming from with the realistic way of playing. I wouldn't normally splash the money like I have but its very rare to get a tycoon takeover, in fact I've only ever had 2 in my years of playing FM plus its probably the only chance I would ever get to manage players like Messi and the others.

It's your game man, play it however you want. I just enjoy keeping it tactical and getting value out of the market and still beating the likes of Chelsea and City to the title. I wouldn't classify one season of spending as buying trophies. Multiple transfer windows with a ton of money spent is what I call buying a trophy ala Man City and Chelsea.

Here are some of my regens:

Bertrand Perrot - bought from Lille last season but got injured straight away so haven't had much chance to play him yet.

2012-11-23_00010.jpg

Ruud Hendriks - purchased from title rivals Chelsea to strengthen the midfield and weaken theirs.

2012-11-23_00005.jpg

Neil Curfman - brought in as an eventual replacement for Mats Hummels as he is in his 30's now.

2012-11-23_00001.jpg

Mark Currie - 1st choice keeper and only cost 100k from Oldham when he was 16.

2012-11-23_00002.jpg

Bradley Nolan - Only 18 and starts most games now. Easily the best player I've had come through the youth system of the team I'm managing. He is the youngest scorer for the club, in the champions league and has scored more than a goal per game in the last 2 seasons. Its frightening to think that he still has 3 stars of potential to fill.

2012-11-23_00009.jpg

I don't want to post too many pictures so here are the links to some of my other players:

Mateo Dupuy - signed on a free transfer when his Auxerre contract expired

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u569/GaryFM13/2012-11-23_00003.jpg

Werner Excoffier - first choice centre back after being signed as a 15 year old

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u569/GaryFM13/2012-11-23_00004.jpg

Esteban Hernandez - already a full Chile international

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u569/GaryFM13/2012-11-23_00006.jpg

Roy Lye - came through the youth system and now first choice DM/ball winner

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u569/GaryFM13/2012-11-23_00007.jpg

Bernard Mrmic - natural at MC and ST, can't really decide what his best position is

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u569/GaryFM13/2012-11-23_00008.jpg

Michael Porter - had a fantastic debut season at right back after being poached away from rivals Leeds United

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u569/GaryFM13/2012-11-23_00011.jpg

Eric Winstanley - South African, first choice full back with awesome attacking stats

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u569/GaryFM13/2012-11-23_00012.jpg

So, what are people's experiences with the youth intakes? I am still in the first half of the first season and I am looking forward to my first youth intake and I would just like to know if we are getting any players with the potential to be top players?

So, what are people's experiences with the youth intakes? I am still in the first half of the first season and I am looking forward to my first youth intake and I would just like to know if we are getting any players with the potential to be top players?

You have probably seen mine but in 7 years I've had 3 really good players. 1 has now moved on and 2 are in the first team. I would say there is a good chance of getting someone with decent potential.

i have had some good youngsters come through the ranks in the 3 seasons i have played. you always seem to get one or two that look real quality. 1st season i had 3 or 4 decent players. I have had so far in 3 seasons 1 x 5 star potential, 2 x 4.5 star potential and 2 x 4 star potential, 2 x 3.5 star potential players. These are the ones i have retained at the club. 7 players that all look like they will be good enough for my 1st team. By the time you pick up a few from other teams then you can get quite a good set of youngsters without spending huge money.

well my youth intakes are good. but Chelsea stupidly played one of thier newgens in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, needless to say he is coming to me for 1.3m compo in the next window now :p

got a CRAZY Champions league draw.

Qtr finals - Man City

Semis - Chelsea or Arsenal.

Final (probably Madrid lol)

Also neymar issued a come get me plea.... which I will probably go along and do. had scholes asking for first team football.... I was giving him a few games over the season, he played far more then others, so surprised he did that

then Fellaini injured him in training :p

Title almost won, was strides ahead city are 2nd, Liverpool 3rd (next match) already qualified for Europe so must only be a win or so away.

E4FD1D8FEA8B43200F735B4795FF7FFE5D08965A

Adryan is breaking into my narrow 4-3-2-1 as well for some bonkers reason. played in this game in fact.

now youth stuff, re-uploaded that defender.

also took this guy off chelsea

504015DEBFADEC5CA844FF852F68BC4F7C65B654

and the guy below played that champions league game

455429E2BF1C060C4C39F9C1B715CE194769FD8C

Archived