Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

Cesc or Barca just need to come out and say he's going nowhere, it's boring hearing all this talk when so many factors mean it's never happening.

No smoke without fire and all that. Since we might benefit from it, I'll stay hopeful.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the myth that he's a bench player comes from people who only watch Barca's CL games, if you look at the stats he's started more matches than the whole side barring about 3 outfield players.

He doesn't seem to start the big games tbf, or when he does he's the first taken off.

There seems to be some notion on twitter that we're announcing a signing today. Not sure why but if we are I'd imagine it'd just be Sanogo.

I've got a feeling there will be at least one big signing, probably two. When was the last time Arsenal signed two genuinely top players? Platt and Bergkamp?

Platt and Bergkamp indeed. We also spent 3x our record fee on Bergkamp. I think Wenger needs to sign two players for £20M+. Higuain and Fellaini (if available) would be perfect.

There was a Q&A with Gazidis tonight. Nothing particularly interesting seemed to come from it, nothing that we didn't already know anyway. Though he did seem to heavily imply that we're dealing with clubs without managers which is slowing things up transfer wise.

No smoke without fire and all that. Since we might benefit from it, I'll stay hopeful.

Arsenal should do what Barcelona always do. Get their players to say Cesc belongs at Arsenal, come out to the press and say you want Cesc to come 'home', unsettle him some more to push through a deal :D

There was a Q&A with Gazidis tonight. Nothing particularly interesting seemed to come from it, nothing that we didn't already know anyway. Though he did seem to heavily imply that we're dealing with clubs without managers which is slowing things up transfer wise.

Of the top of my head, only Real Madrid is currently manager-less.

I think it'll take the managers seeing their players before there is any movement. For example, if we're interested in an Everton player, we probably have to wait until Martinez has had a good look at the squad before they're even willing to talk to anyone, including us.

Also, it'll probably take a big buy somewhere to get the ball rolling. Once the first big couple moves happen, then the money will start to go round.

If Cesc was willing to fight it out with us for 8 years, how hard do you think he want to succeed at Barcelona? Hard to see him leave, but if he does, I expect it'll be to us.

Real won't be selling Higuain until they appoint their new manager

Wouldn't be so sure. Higuain has practically admitted that he is off and the manager in spain doesn't negotiate transfers. No need for a manager to be involved

Wouldn't be so sure. Higuain has practically admitted that he is off and the manager in spain doesn't negotiate transfers. No need for a manager to be involved

But the manager would talk to the Sporting Director (or whatever it's called) and tell him whether he wants a player or not

I would be deeply upset if he joined another English team. Van persie I can take but not cesc.

would make it even worse due to the fact it's David Moyes rather than SAF. Obviously if it was SAF I'd still be very annoyed but at least it's understandable to an extent that a player would want to join a SAF United side.

Perez don't give a **** what the manager wants. He bought Kaka even though Pellegrini didn't want him. If Higuain wants out, he will sell him and buy a big name replacement.

Higuain carries some weight in the Madrid dressing room so Perez wouldn't get rid of him just like that. New manager may want to keep him and get rid of Benzema instead.

Still too early, I know but I can't wait for the transfer window to happen. For years, we have been disappointed by them but hopefully, Arsene finally pulls it off especially in his final year of contract. This will be my ideal transfer window. Both sets should be able to challenge on all fronts.

Cesar

Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs

Fellaini Arteta

Walcott Wilshere Cazorla

Higuain

Szcz

Jenkinson Williams Vermaelen Monreal

Ramsey Diaby

AOC Rosicky Podolski

Giroud

We are the worst for it though

We only think we are tbh. If we followed as much United/Liverpool/Chelsea fans etc. we'd see as many.

Gab Marcotti says we're 'pushing hard' to sign Fellaini. He's usually reliable as far as I know.

Not sure Fellaini would be a good signing for us. The thought of having Williams and Vermaelen as backup makes me sad too. Would only really be happy with Cesar and Higuain, and even then I'm not convinced. Meh.

We only think we are tbh. If we followed as much United/Liverpool/Chelsea fans etc. we'd see as many.

Yep, it's probably due to the embarrassment factor involved when you see it involving your club, that it appears to be more prevalent.

I'd really like Fellaini in beside Arteta. He's good in the tackle, decent shot, he's good in both ends of the box, he's the right type of nastiness and he'd offer the physicality we don't have in midfield. People point to his pass completion rate but that doesn't worry me that much, it may well be a consequence to the role he plays at Everton.

I think heralding Ramsey as anything other than average at best shows how far our ambitions have fallen.

We'll see what happens in the coming weeks. I'm not convinced at all that Wenger will bring in top, top names now it's confirmed he has the money. What did strike me from the Q&A with Gazidis though is that if we have another poor season the onus is firmly on the manager.

Who I'd like to see as first teamers....

Fellaini

Cesc

Rooney

Begovic

Get rid of a load more like Diaby, Chamakh, Ramsey, Gerv, Vermaelen, Sagna amongst others and bring in better replacements (Wanyama for example).

Of course, it'll never happen.

Instead of selling players and then replacing them, which the club have done for many years now, we need to add players to improve squad depth and quality. More quality we have in our squad the better.

Olivier Giroud showing that even Frenchmen can use 'cockney humour':

"If we start better than we did this season, I know that we will compete for the title next year because we are used to playing together now and have improved as a team,' Giroud told the Arsenal magazine"

Archived