Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bad comedy that is Liverpool Football Club continues, player has all but signed for a slightly better team but has no manager. Lets face it, Spurs have a better squad so have a better chance of winning things than us. The truth hurts i'm afraid.

They are totally different players. Modric is like Alonso, Xavi or Pirlo, Sigurdsson is like VdV, Iniesta or Gerrard.

Both play in the middle of the park no? (which is what I was getting at)

Selling one type of striker and bringing in a different type of striker would still be a replacement.

The bad comedy that is Liverpool Football Club continues, player has all but signed for a slightly better team but has no manager. Lets face it, Spurs have a better squad so have a better chance of winning things than us. The truth hurts i'm afraid.

HEY!

What did Tottenham win last season? ;)

HEY!

What did Tottenham win last season? ;)

" Spurs have a better squad so have a better chance of winning things than us "

We both have little chance of winning anything next season.

The league pubteam cup not worth a hoot in my eyes but if i was putting my own money on a team to win something, i would have to choose Spurs over my beloved 'Pool.

Both play in the middle of the park no? (which is what I was getting at)

Selling one type of striker and bringing in a different type of striker would still be a replacement.

Sigurdsson plays behind the striker whereas Modric plays deep and makes play tick over. Sigurdsson hasn't played central midfield since he was in Reading's reserves and even then Jem Karacan or Greg Halford had to carry him defensively.

Looks dead cert according to Bbc sport. Quite worrying considering they don't even have a manager! Shows how far weve fallen. Unless they just offered him shitloads or something.

Apparently we offered the same wages that agreed to while at Swansea but spurs have come in and offered him a lot more money. Spurs have a few very good players but a lot of the squad needs rebuilding old golkeepers, need a striker, king is supposed to retire, modrik leaving and edebayour returning back to city not to mention they have a strict wage structure and haven't spent big in last few seasons.

Was having a discussion with mate yesterday about how I hope Siggy doesn't sign for you as don't want to see him ruined as a footballer. This led me on to argue that there are VERY few examples of players signing for Liverpool and having their reputations enhanced. There are many many recent examples of high profile players that have joined and gone drastically down hill in their time at the club

Any views from you lot as to why this might be?

Was having a discussion with mate yesterday about how I hope Siggy doesn't sign for you as don't want to see him ruined as a footballer. This led me on to argue that there are VERY few examples of players signing for Liverpool and having their reputations enhanced. There are many many recent examples of high profile players that have joined and gone drastically down hill in their time at the club

Only Xabi, Torres, Masch; probably three of the best at their positions in the PL in recent memory.

What a load of crap. :D

Care to give some examples Ady? How do you define high profile? A lot of our kids didn't make it, but they're not high profile. I can think of Keane, Morientes, Babel, Diouf as high profile players who didn't improve with us, but theres reasons for all of them. The first two were already past their peak, the second two were headcases.

Reina

Finnan

Johnson

Arbeloa

Skrtel

Agger

Riise

Aurelio

Mascherano

Alonso

Lucas

Garcia

Benayoun

Crouch

Torres

Baros

All examples of high profile players signing for Liverpool over the past 10 years and kicking on.

ha ha comedy gold

Care to give some examples Ady? How do you define high profile? A lot of our kids didn't make it, but they're not high profile. I can think of Keane, Morientes, Babel, Diouf as high profile players who didn't improve with us, but theres reasons for all of them. The first two were already past their peak, the second two were headcases.

Reina

Finnan

Johnson

Arbeloa

Skrtel

Agger

Riise

Aurelio

Mascherano

Alonso

Lucas

Garcia

Benayoun

Crouch

Torres

Baros

All examples of high profile players signing for Liverpool over the past 10 years and kicking on.

I'm really, REALLY not going to get into this (nor do I agree with the original point) but at least half of these can barely be called particularly 'high profile' at the time of joining Liverpool?

Not that I'd call Sig particularly high profile either. So again, this is not to partake in this nonsensical point

Depends what you'd call "high profile". You could say the same really then for 99% of clubs. Who would you say Man Utd signed as a high profile player recently under the same criteria? VdS, RvN, and perhaps Berbatov. Really can't think of many others.

e: Case could probably be made for Rooney and Ferdinand, but again, depends on what you'd call "high profile".

Depends what you'd call "high profile". You could say the same really then for 99% of clubs. Who would you say Man Utd signed as a high profile player recently under the same criteria? VdS, RvN, and perhaps Berbatov. Really can't think of many others.

e: Case could probably be made for Rooney and Ferdinand, but again, depends on what you'd call "high profile".

Probably wouldn't call many others high profile tbf. Some of them might be high profile transfers simply due to the club/fee involved (De Gea, Nani/Anderson, Jones) but there's not really many high profile players that I can recall.

Actually, SSN's deleted post (super mod powers: activate) has a point as I misread the original post a bit. The point was indeed about any players joining Liverpool and improving with many cases of high profile players going down hill. I mashed that together into it only being about high profile players.

Reina

Finnan

Johnson

Arbeloa

Skrtel

Agger

Riise

Aurelio

Mascherano

Alonso

Lucas

Garcia

Benayoun

Crouch

Torres

Baros

Think only Torres was our high profile player before joining us. Shows how well we have made them other players ;)

I wasn't talking abou the signing of players that were already at the top of their game....although as an Athletico fan I would argue Torres joined Liverpool a more effective player than he left...I was talking about players joining Liverpool and not making that next step - something I'd hate to see happen to Siggy due to his Reading connections

Poulson

Adam

Aquilani

Babel

Riera etc

Does tend to be midfielders that seem to struggle to fit in - I was wondering whetehr this has something to do with playing alongside Gerrard, kind of like how he and Lampard struggle to play together

Poulsen was about 112 years old.

Adam and Riera are limited as footballers IMO

Aqualani seemingly homesick

Babel simply didn't develop on his potential.

There is no underlying reason if that's what you mean. Sometimes it happens.

For all of those examples, you have players like Alonso, Agger, Lucas (especially this guy) who improved massively at the club.

I wasn't talking abou the signing of players that were already at the top of their game....although as an Athletico fan I would argue Torres joined Liverpool a more effective player than he left...I was talking about players joining Liverpool and not making that next step - something I'd hate to see happen to Siggy due to his Reading connections

Poulson

Adam

Aquilani

Babel

Riera etc

Does tend to be midfielders that seem to struggle to fit in - I was wondering whetehr this has something to do with playing alongside Gerrard, kind of like how he and Lampard struggle to play together

Yeah with out Gerrard, Torres would have been twice the player.

Reina - wasn't that high profile at time of signing.

Finnan - Signed from a nearly relegated club for 3.5m, yes, well known but again not high profile.

Johnson - Fair enough, just about high profile enough despite being at Pompey

Arbel - At the time wasn't high profile

Skrtel - At the time wasn't what I'd consider high profile either.

Agger - 21 year old from Brondby, yes a talent but again not high profile.

Riise - Close, but defo not close enough to be a high profile signing

Aurelio - Nope, had reputation and was well-known but I wouldn't say high profile.

Mascherano - a sub at West Ham, if he'd have done an impact at West Ham I'd say high profile, but he wasn't.

Alonso - Border of high profile but still I wouldn't put it past that barrier at that moment in time

Lucas - a talented youngster, wasn't high profile

Garcia - Close

Benayoun - I'd say this was a fairly high profile signing at the time, he was in great form for West Ham and was an exciting signing at the time/

Crouch - Could just about make it

Torres - Definately, this is what should be a highprofile signing

Baros - No chance

So out of that list Glenn J, Torres, Benayoun, perhaps Crouch, Alonso + Garcia.

I'd say Diouf was a high profile signing too, at the time he was one of Africa's big talents and a 10 sum was paid :D

I'd say Diouf was a high profile signing too, at the time he was one of Africa's big talents and a 10 sum was paid :D

And to think, we could have signed Anelka for the same price :(.

Archived