Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played this game since the early 90's, and I'm still an amateur...

I read a lot about people changing a positions role, depending on what player is available. Switching a striker from target man to poacher (and changing team strategy to not playing with a target man).

My question is this: Doesn't this decrease the tactics fluidity (the one you can improve with pre-match training)? I always thought it did.

A side question: Lets say you have two tactics trained to fluidity (one is defending and the other is overload in mentality). Does that mean, that you can change the overload one to defending mentality while playing without losing fluidity?

I hope I stated these questions clearly enough - otherwise I'll gladly elaborate.

I've played this game since the early 90's, and I'm still an amateur...

I read a lot about people changing a positions role, depending on what player is available. Switching a striker from target man to poacher (and changing team strategy to not playing with a target man).

My question is this: Doesn't this decrease the tactics fluidity (the one you can improve with pre-match training)? I always thought it did.

Potentially this will decrease fluidity but the effect would be minimal and should be vastly out-weighed by the advances you gain from changing that role.

I've found that chopping and changing is more effective with a side you've had for a while and can be confusing or devisive when you first start managing a side. It's like they get used to your management style and learn all those different changes that you like to make (this sounds incredibly advanced for FM but its the short of subtle thing that FM does all the time so I really don't think I'm imagining it).

A side question: Lets say you have two tactics trained to fluidity (one is defending and the other is overload in mentality). Does that mean, that you can change the overload one to defending mentality while playing without losing fluidity?

I hope I stated these questions clearly enough - otherwise I'll gladly elaborate.

Yes you can change without worrying about fluidity at all.

I'd advocate using more extreme tactical changes and not clog up 2 tactic slots with different mentalities. So, for example, I might have a 41221, a 4231 and a 442, all on standard, loaded into the 3 tactic slots and not worry that they might take a slight hit on familiarity when changing mentalities. To be honest, I've never explicitly noticed a difference in fluidity when changing mentalities (sometimes maybe in pre-season but it was hard to tell because there are other changes happening too).

Thanks for the reply! I usually have a defending, standard and attacking tactic in the three slots, offen with same basic lineup (4-4-2 usually). Maybe I should reconsider that strategy.?

That would be my advice. Every formation (and tactical setup) has inherent weaknesses and there will be other setups that naturally hit that weakness, sure, you can tweak but sometimes just a change of formation is better than trying to bang square pegs into round holes. For example, the 442 can be overrun in midfield by the popular 4231 and 433(41221) formations, sometimes rather than trying to make the 442 work against those formations it is best just to change from your normal and fight fire with fire (its a tough call though because I generally prefer to maximise my strengths than specifically target the opponent - I prefer to focus on myself first but sometimes its just best to change)

Thanks. I can see the advantage of different lineups compared to just different roles and strategy. The problem is, that you buy good players for the position you have in your standard formations, so you would often have to either field players out of their usual positions, or use a lower quality of player to fill out the other formation(s).

I can't make a winger amc or striker help out much in defence. I tried building a defensive 4-2-4 once, but it didn't really work... With the right roles all midfielders will pull back and help though. Either way three cm's or a dmc are sometimes a good thing to have.

The simple answer is to drop your strategy to defend or contain. Beyond that its not so simple.

I read a good advice here, that said that you could instruct your team to keep possesion as much and possible (no long shots, short passing, no runs). Combined with time-wasting and maybe dropping deep you can make a lot of time pass that way. Defensive gives the possesion over to the opponent, and that makes them more dangerous.

Thanks. I can see the advantage of different lineups compared to just different roles and strategy. The problem is, that you buy good players for the position you have in your standard formations, so you would often have to either field players out of their usual positions, or use a lower quality of player to fill out the other formation(s).

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/309213-Building-The-Squad This is my way of dealing with a squad, most applicable to clubs with some money who have a lot of decisions regarding squad building. For me a good squad has to be about more than the 'best 11' and what is a 'best 11' for one day may not be for the next day.

I can't make a winger amc or striker help out much in defence. I tried building a defensive 4-2-4 once, but it didn't really work... With the right roles all midfielders will pull back and help though. Either way three cm's or a dmc are sometimes a good thing to have.

They won't really, but they are in that 'strata' because they aren't really defensive players. Really hard working clever players will track back from AMR/AML, particularly if the opposition attack slowly, but its highly contentious whether they should. I'd argue that their position should be to remain high, if you want them to track back use them at MR/ML.

just Wonder how to set up a simple 442 tactic with a Targetman and potcher?? what settings is the simpliest to use for the tactic to be simple and effective in llm?playing in the last English division with fc United!! thanks in advice

Targetman(sup) to hold the ball up, flick the ball or provide the through pass. Maybe the winger on the side of the TM will be on att duty too, so you have 2 forward runners.

MR - Sup

ML - Att

FCR - Att

FCL - Sup

I was here a while back and got some help with my Arsenal save. things have stagnated and I need to freshen it up a bit, but with the players I have we seem very suited to one style. I moved giroud on and Fierro has developed really well, should be a world class striker, but before I had giroud playing as a DLFsupport in order to get the most out of Wilshere.

I currently play a fluid 4231, with the team set out like this:

gk

FB(s) CB(d) CB(d) FB(a)

DLP(D) CM(D)

W(a) AM(a) IF(s)

DLF(s)

typically with these players

Der Stegen

Corchia, Dede, Vermaelen, Clichy

Ramsey, Jack Cork

Ox, Wilshere, Bale

Fierro

these players are almost all in their prime now (2016) and Cork and Ramsey both have ppm's which mean they can both play as DLP's. Normally if i have a chance I play a regen with one of them in order to gain experience. I'm struling against smaller teams, so i'm leaning towards the idea of more attacking forward play, but don't know how to balance that out further down the pitch. And I want to make sure Wilshere continues to perform.

I'm in January of the first season with celta vigo. I have about twenty grand spare in my wage budget but my board won't let me offer anyone more that 6. Could this be because I have just signed four players to come in at the end of the season?

I'm in January of the first season with celta vigo. I have about twenty grand spare in my wage budget but my board won't let me offer anyone more that 6. Could this be because I have just signed four players to come in at the end of the season?

This thread is for tactic or training questions only. It does state this in the thread title :)

I was here a while back and got some help with my Arsenal save. things have stagnated and I need to freshen it up a bit, but with the players I have we seem very suited to one style. I moved giroud on and Fierro has developed really well, should be a world class striker, but before I had giroud playing as a DLFsupport in order to get the most out of Wilshere.

I currently play a fluid 4231, with the team set out like this:

gk

FB(s) CB(d) CB(d) FB(a)

DLP(D) CM(D)

W(a) AM(a) IF(s)

DLF(s)

typically with these players

Der Stegen

Corchia, Dede, Vermaelen, Clichy

Ramsey, Jack Cork

Ox, Wilshere, Bale

Fierro

these players are almost all in their prime now (2016) and Cork and Ramsey both have ppm's which mean they can both play as DLP's. Normally if i have a chance I play a regen with one of them in order to gain experience. I'm struling against smaller teams, so i'm leaning towards the idea of more attacking forward play, but don't know how to balance that out further down the pitch. And I want to make sure Wilshere continues to perform.

Maybe you like to read these 2 threads to get some ideas.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/352562-Help-creating-a-tactic-with-Arsenal

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/348223-Setting-up-an-effective-4-2-3-1

Hi guys, first post here, and hopefully it's not too much of a stupid one (though I'm in a safe thread if it is right!?)

I was wondering, what is the effect, if any, on telling a player (via private chat) they have to work harder in training to stay in the first team/challenge for a position. I've generally gone with this after they've had poor reviews from the coaches for that month (unless they've had injuries), or if they have red/orange arrows for training effort. So far all of the responses have been positive from players, but does anybody know if this effect is anything more than cosmetic? Cheers!

Hi guys, first post here, and hopefully it's not too much of a stupid one (though I'm in a safe thread if it is right!?)

I was wondering, what is the effect, if any, on telling a player (via private chat) they have to work harder in training to stay in the first team/challenge for a position. I've generally gone with this after they've had poor reviews from the coaches for that month (unless they've had injuries), or if they have red/orange arrows for training effort. So far all of the responses have been positive from players, but does anybody know if this effect is anything more than cosmetic? Cheers!

I think doing this can trigger an increase in professionalism, mainly in youngsters. I could be wrong though.

u can give them a heavier training level or if they are unhappy about heavy training level they won't be

I guess this is just a coincidence, but I changed my training regime by unticking rest before matches. Now I've played about 10 matches of a new season in the Championship and I'm getting injuries left, right and centre. I can't finish a match without one or two players coming off injuried. I knew that increasing the amount of training would risk more injuries, but in four years in League Two, One and the Championship my players are lucky to have two days training a week and that is normally spent on match prep. Is it worth having an extra training a week, or is the rest going to be more useful to my squad? My clubs training facilities are awful (literally), and my coaches aren't that much better.

I guess this is just a coincidence, but I changed my training regime by unticking rest before matches. Now I've played about 10 matches of a new season in the Championship and I'm getting injuries left, right and centre. I can't finish a match without one or two players coming off injuried. I knew that increasing the amount of training would risk more injuries, but in four years in League Two, One and the Championship my players are lucky to have two days training a week and that is normally spent on match prep. Is it worth having an extra training a week, or is the rest going to be more useful to my squad? My clubs training facilities are awful (literally), and my coaches aren't that much better.

If your players are playing alot of matches, they should have lighter training. They also need rest and recovery.

Hello guys. How would act a player with often RFD and comes deep to get the ball PPM? Like an AMC attacking midfielder for example. How often will he come deep? I'm asking this because although i want him to be in finishing zones, i also feel that sometimes he should come a little deep to offer a passing line.

Hello guys. How would act a player with often RFD and comes deep to get the ball PPM? Like an AMC attacking midfielder for example. How often will he come deep? I'm asking this because although i want him to be in finishing zones, i also feel that sometimes he should come a little deep to offer a passing line.

Probably depends on his decision. If you want to have a say on how often he comes deep or go forward, maybe you can adjust his RFD.

If I play Standard Strategy and use the Shout Push Higher Up, does it become the Control Defensive Line?

And if I Shout Play Narrower, does it become the Counter Width etc.?

If I'm at one extreme of the Strategy scale, say Overload, and Shout Push Higher Up, does anything actually happen?

Maybe cutting a few corners, but basically for counter-control strategies retain possession/drop deeper/play narrower decreases tempo/d-line/width by 3 notches and the opposite for get ball forward/push higher up/play wider. For Contain/Defensive the decrement is just 1 notch and increment is 5 notches. For Attack/Overload the decrement is 5 notches and the increment just 1 notch.

So if you play standard strategy and use 'Play narrower', width is 8-3=5 which is the default width for counter strategy. And if you push higher up you'll get default control d-line. They don't always overlap like that though but you can see it out for yourself by using shouts and then checking the tactics page.

Overload strategy doesn't employ d-line 20 if I remember right so you'll probably see an increment of 1 notch.

Maybe cutting a few corners, but basically for counter-control strategies retain possession/drop deeper/play narrower decreases tempo/d-line/width by 3 notches and the opposite for get ball forward/push higher up/play wider. For Contain/Defensive the decrement is just 1 notch and increment is 5 notches. For Attack/Overload the decrement is 5 notches and the increment just 1 notch.

So if you play standard strategy and use 'Play narrower', width is 8-3=5 which is the default width for counter strategy. And if you push higher up you'll get default control d-line. They don't always overlap like that though but you can see it out for yourself by using shouts and then checking the tactics page.

Overload strategy doesn't employ d-line 20 if I remember right so you'll probably see an increment of 1 notch.

Excellent, thanks for that.

I've recently discovered the answer to that myself from checking everyday until it was possible :\ It's two weeks my friend!

It's 3 month, so if you are seeing this after 2 weeks then its a bug.

It's 3 month, so if you are seeing this after 2 weeks then its a bug.

Huh? Isn't it 3 months for the actual tutoring to take place? If I'm not mistaken, his question was how long AFTER SOMEONE HAS FINISHED can this person tutor again. Which for me is 2 weeks. Are you saying that's a bug?

Huh? Isn't it 3 months for the actual tutoring to take place? If I'm not mistaken, his question was how long AFTER SOMEONE HAS FINISHED can this person tutor again. Which for me is 2 weeks. Are you saying that's a bug?

Tutoring lasts 180 days. Then when someone can tutor someone else again is 3 months. I understood the question and read it properly, no need to post in caps to stress something, especially when its wrong. So if you can tutor again after 2 weeks it is a bug.

Can you post examples/saved game where you've been able to do it again after 2 weeks :thup:

Err.. In my save, some player (not all) are able to tutor again in less than 3 months. I'm not sure on how much time needed.

@mikcheck

Depend on the player role and your tactic. One scenario that I can see it happen is via counter attack, through the middle with an AP (s) and 3 striker ready to get the passing and score.

Tutoring lasts 180 days. Then when someone can tutor someone else again is 3 months. I understood the question and read it properly, no need to post in caps to stress something, especially when its wrong. So if you can tutor again after 2 weeks it is a bug.

Can you post examples/saved game where you've been able to do it again after 2 weeks :thup:

I was posting in caps to highlight the important part of the question, not to stress I was correct. Hence referring to whether I was mistaken or not to make sure. And I did not know it was wrong, that's why I asked if that is what you were saying was a bug.

Where does it say that it has to be 180 days until a tutor can tutor again?

If I have a MC with the following:

Runs with ball through centre

Gets forward whenever possible

Tries killer ball often

Plays one-twos

Likes to switch ball to other flank

How should I play him and what formation could bring out his potential?

If I have a MC with the following:

Runs with ball through centre

Gets forward whenever possible

Tries killer ball often

Plays one-twos

Likes to switch ball to other flank

How should I play him and what formation could bring out his potential?

Looks like a b2b midfielder for me or a player just behind the striker, Cahill/Fellaini

Thanks mate. Will try it out.

Meanwhile, I was just wondering if anyone might know how to counter the following:

1. A defensive flat 4-5-1 and a defensive flat 4-1-4-1

2. An awesome defender part of the abovementioned formation tackling hard against my team

Would appreciate some kind thoughts on the above other than praying for a good referee for (2)!

Meanwhile, I was just wondering if anyone might know how to counter the following:

2. An awesome defender part of the abovementioned formation tackling hard against my team

Would appreciate some kind thoughts on the above other than praying for a good referee for (2)!

With any flat formation there is generally a little space in between the lines so get an AM, get a striker dropping deep, or get a midfielder pushing on (or, if you wanted more fancy you could get your wingers cutting in and operating in there).

Defensively against a defensive formation with a lone striker you have to be aware that the striker may be looking to win easy free kicks against over-enthusiastic defenders, it is usually advisable to not tackle hard the sole striker but just try and frustrate him as much as possible by limiting supply and severely limiting his space and time on the ball.

A 4141 with the DM is hard to break down but I'd probably be looking to attack the crease between FB and CB and have wide players cutting in. Alternatively you might want to employ lots of movement to try and get around the DM. The DM is usually the heartbeat of this type of formation so as a rule of thumb I'd close him down, tackle hard and show onto weaker foot (possibly even specific man-marking if I'm really worried and have a guy to do the job) and try to get him playing as badly as possible.

It's worth thinking about your selection as well. If you have a Maradonna like creative little maestro who likes a bit of space at AM and a bigger, harder-working guy you might want to pick the latter guy who won't mind (so much) being tight marked and will offer you more defensively and generally work hard in a crowded space to make room for your team.

My standard formation is a 5-3-2 with a treq at AMC and 2 forwards. Against an opposition formation using a DM, particularly a good DM, I usually change from the usual 5-3-2 to move the creative player - the AMC - to AMCL/AMCR and the corresponding forward to playing through the middle. Basically, I try to create a little space by distorting his defensive shape. On occasion, I also drop a forward to AMCR/AMCL as well so end up with 2 players against his DM and just the one up front - I find this works better if the one up front is fast and hard working enough to occupy both DCs. A final variation is to switch to 5-2-3 with the treq at either FCL or FCR and the most advanced forward in the middle.

My approach is basically the opposite to Cleon's close down the DM suggestion in that I try to get away from him. I'd also use the same approach to dodging the super defender: this is a good example of where I'd go to 2 AMs and an FC.

Simple, stupid question after all this time: is there any way to somehow see, in a simple way, like a meter or any kind of indication, if your training is benefiting the team or not?

Simple, stupid question after all this time: is there any way to somehow see, in a simple way, like a meter or any kind of indication, if your training is benefiting the team or not?

There are graphs that show player progression for each attribute (these are still there right? I dont use them and cant check right now!) but you can also set it so that you get arrows whether each stat is rising or falling. If you see mainly greens then training is going great, mainly reds and you'll need to investigate.

Training in FM is about players really. Then the players make the team.

What does workload in coaches area really mean? They were light but now some of them changed to medium

I think, and might be wrong, but if a coach is overloaded then their overall efficiency will drop. I suspect there is no difference between medium and light although other factors such as the professionalism etc of the coach will probably dictate this.

E.g if a coach will guarantee you a 2 point rise in all the stats (I know this is impossibe but you'll get my drift) then on heavy workload his efficient will drop and you may only get a 1 point rise.