Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Just now, FootballManager89 said:

I notice the ai changed my player roles while i simulated a season. Is there any reason for this? Why does the ai change player roles? Could it be a bug?

How do you simulate a season? Go on holiday? You're leaving the Assistant in charge then, so he will change things if he feels the need.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

How do you simulate a season? Go on holiday? You're leaving the Assistant in charge then, so he will change things if he feels the need.

I clicked use current match tactics though. Seems he kept the same formation but changed the roles. Is there no way to stop him from changing stuff while holidaying?

Just now, FootballManager89 said:

I clicked use current match tactics though. Seems he kept the same formation but changed the roles. Is there no way to stop him from changing stuff while holidaying?

Yeah, he'll start with your tactics, but again - you are leaving him in charge - so he will change if needed.

5 hours ago, herne79 said:

For me, Positioning and Marking go hand in glove (for a central defender at least).

Positioning is all about how well a player moves when defending in order to take up appropriate defensive positions.

Marking helps a player take up a "position" near an opponent to help make that opponent a less attractive passing option.  Hopefully you can see how "Positioning" can help with that.

Whilst I like Positioning and Marking for any central defender, it can be more important when playing a deeper defensive line as your players become less likely to make challenges (assuming no associated TIs) and so picking up players off the ball increases in importance - you have to work the space better, rather than playing the man with the ball.

2 hours ago, summatsupeer said:

The simplest way I can put it is:

Positioning is being in the right location in relation to your teammates and where the ball is.  Useful to cut out through balls, crosses etc

Marking is being able to track players around you and being able aware of there movement/runs.  Useful for tracking players.

Thank you guys, that really helps.  One follow question is do these two attributes have any use with regard to closing down?  Obviously this needs work rate, teamwork, stamina, acceleration but does having good positioning and maybe marking improve the effectiveness of closing down ie by cutting out passing options for the player being closed down?

On 8/18/2016 at 13:55, Ceching You Out said:

Long time tinkerer with tactics, but I've found a rather simple question I've been unable to decisively answer -- does playing narrower/wider affect defensive positioning, offensive positioning, or both? It will obviously have an impact on the transition phases, but what's the primary effect?

Any definitive answer to this?

32 minutes ago, jonboym said:

Thank you guys, that really helps.  One follow question is do these two attributes have any use with regard to closing down?  Obviously this needs work rate, teamwork, stamina, acceleration but does having good positioning and maybe marking improve the effectiveness of closing down ie by cutting out passing options for the player being closed down?

Positioning and marking both contribute to closing down. Marking would determine how close the on-ball defender will be when he starts closing down; positioning would also contribute to that, plus determining how effectively he shuts down passing lanes as he closes in. Both are important for your off-ball defenders as well -- like you mention, cutting down passing options/lanes.

Edited by Ceching You Out

Okay, this has been around at a few threads, the team shape issue. I know we are motivated to keep things as simple as possible and look into tem shape for less / more creative freadom and less / more space. Now, I'm using a Standard mentality with a Close Down More TI, I have an AP that has his close to down at maximum (sometimes), then if I change the team shape to Highly Structured, the AP close down instruction changes to close down more. And his close down instruction only changes to close down more if the team shape is highly structured, it doesn't change with the other options

1- Why, with a standard mentality and with any team shape except for HS, is an AP only allowed to close down sometimes (as in equal to the team, so is closing down more) ?

2- Why does team shape interacts with close down ? (I'm sure I've read in other threads Team Shape influences creative freedom and vertical space)

1 hour ago, jonboym said:

I would say they do indirectly.  The better positioned and closer marked the players without the ball are, the less options the player with the ball will have when closed down.  He might launch it long to clear it safely or try a "hospital pass" to someone who is marked or someone positioned to intercept. 

How well a player closes down I think is mainly down to Work Rate and Aggression.  To a lesser extent Acceleration, Agility, Decisions and Determination will help.  Stamina and Concentration will help keep it up all game.  Strength, Bravery and Tackling obviously help to win the ball if they don't get rid of it.  I think Team Work might help cover for teammates but not directly influence that players pressing.  It's pretty much the attributes a BWM-D requires.

Besides the playmaker/target man box being ticked, is the difference between roles purely based on their PI's?

For example, the box to box midfielder(s) role has only one hard coded PI - roam from position, CM(s) has no hard coded PI's. So theoretically should a B2B(s) play exactly the same as a CM(s) with roam from position PI added? Is it right to rule out FMs description of the roles and the fact they are positioned differently on the TC screen in these cases?

I'm almost at the end of my tether regarding defending. I understand it's probably been done to death but I feel like I have absolutely have no control over it. Basically, as a manager, the further play is up the field I want my defenders to apply more pressure to the opposition player in possession, yet, in and around my area I want them to stand-off more until it's essential that they close down. How do I manage this? The amount of goals I concede from ridiculous, utterly ridiculous play from defenders is spoiling the game for me. 

Ok, so, I'm here for help. How much does closing down on the team instructions have on how much the players close down individually? Or, is that just an indication of how high or low the defensive line will sit? Does it have any bearing on when or how my defenders will decide to close down as individuals? 

Secondly, tempo, I believe, has an effect on players closing down? This is a problem for me as I want to play a high tempo game when in possession and if I lose the ball I want to transition into a defensive shape where my players are defensively rigid and not leave any gaps or close down unless necessary. 

Thirdly, if I go to the individual player instructions and tell the defenders individually to close down less does this affect how much of a gap there will be between the defence and midfield or will it have absolutely no effect and thus just mean the lines will stay the same but the defenders will sit off the oppostion attackers when in possession a little more?

I have tried all of these without luck and I really would love to know the parameters which allow or affect this part of the game. For me it's extremely vague and there are way too many factors that either affect it or conflict other aspects of the tactics. If somebody could enlighten me that would be fantastic. 

Can someone tell me why this tactic is not exactly working the way I want? There seems like the shots are taken from a long range and the possession is barely above 55%. The initial idea was to create a heavily possession based tactic with the build-up starting from the back (also including the Regista role, I never tried it before so I wanted to create my tactic around it) and I tried to test it with some of the better teams in FMT, but it just doesn't work efficiently.

Manchester_United___Overview.png

24 minutes ago, kristalshards said:

Can someone tell me why this tactic is not exactly working the way I want? There seems like the shots are taken from a long range and the possession is barely above 55%. The initial idea was to create a heavily possession based tactic with the build-up starting from the back (also including the Regista role, I never tried it before so I wanted to create my tactic around it) and I tried to test it with some of the better teams in FMT, but it just doesn't work efficiently.

I would say you have lots of players looking to risky passes, but have a lack of runners, i'd say Retain Possession would suit your Duty selection. Yes you have runners on the wings, but they will join attacks later due to being Structured.  Maybe a slower tempo would help to allow your WB's time to move up and stretch the defence.  Maybe both instructions or just one, would need to see the play.

I think you might of flooded the central area too much with 5 players, Structured will help a bit but you might need to take it further to make the two ST stay up a bit more and to drop the defensive players a bit.  It might be worth making your CF-S a CF-A so he occupies the defenders, keeping them honest whilst your F9 drops to linkup with your AP, BBM and Reg.

I'd not use a CWB because of the above reason, where is he going to roam to?  Really you need him staying wide to provide width and stretch your opponents.  I would add PI's to both WB-S to Stay Wide.

Who is the BPD going to play risky passes to?  Personally with a Reg sat in front of him going "GIVE ME THE BALL" i'd want him to just give it to him.

Have you setup your GK distribution so he doesn't waste it?

Edited by summatsupeer

3 hours ago, dolph11 said:

How much does closing down on the team instructions have on how much the players close down individually? Or, is that just an indication of how high or low the defensive line will sit? Does it have any bearing on when or how my defenders will decide to close down as individuals?

The closing down TI is all about how much your players will press ("close down") the opposition.  It has little to do with the defensive line.  It absolutely has a bearing on when your defenders (and every other player) will close down.

Secondly, tempo, I believe, has an effect on players closing down? This is a problem for me as I want to play a high tempo game when in possession and if I lose the ball I want to transition into a defensive shape where my players are defensively rigid and not leave any gaps or close down unless necessary. 

Tempo has got nothing to do with pressing.  Tempo is about how long players dwell on the ball until they do something with it.

Thirdly, if I go to the individual player instructions and tell the defenders individually to close down less does this affect how much of a gap there will be between the defence and midfield or will it have absolutely no effect and thus just mean the lines will stay the same but the defenders will sit off the oppostion attackers when in possession a little more?

It will have absolutely no effect and thus just mean the lines will stay the same but the defenders will sit off the opposition attackers when in possession a little more.

1 hour ago, summatsupeer said:

I would say you have lots of players looking to risky passes, but have a lack of runners, i'd say Retain Possession would suit your Duty selection. Yes you have runners on the wings, but they will join attacks later due to being Structured.  Maybe a slower tempo would help to allow your WB's time to move up and stretch the defence.  Maybe both instructions or just one, would need to see the play.

I think you might of flooded the central area too much with 5 players, Structured will help a bit but you might need to take it further to make the two ST stay up a bit more and to drop the defensive players a bit.  It might be worth making your CF-S a CF-A so he occupies the defenders, keeping them honest whilst your F9 drops to linkup with your AP, BBM and Reg.

I'd not use a CWB because of the above reason, where is he going to roam to?  Really you need him staying wide to provide width and stretch your opponents.  I would add PI's to both WB-S to Stay Wide.

Who is the BPD going to play risky passes to?  Personally with a Reg sat in front of him going "GIVE ME THE BALL" i'd want him to just give it to him.

Have you setup your GK distribution so he doesn't waste it?

Thanks, you cleared up a bit my foggy brain. I will try those suggestions you've said and see how it goes.

I have chosen the CWB because I wanted someone to be more advanced as it looked like most of the times the LB was too deep to support the AP or the CF, so I have decided to go with that as the WB-A might have been too direct for my liking.

Then I agree with you with the BPD, I haven't used these roles too much in my whole FM game-play so I don't know how exactly they work, I am trying to experiment with things right now and see what I can do. But I guess I'll just have to remove the BPD. I will look into the roles and the Team Shape and how they work and see how I can improve things.

Edit: Nope, not working.

Edited by kristalshards

Thanks for clarifying, Herne. I had previously read that tempo affects 'pressing' when not in possession but it's good to know that it doesn't. I have tried all of the above prior to my initial post yet I still had the same problem. I appreciate your help but I am still none-the-wiser as to how I can stop individual defenders closing down where there is no need. Secondly, when they do it and it is quite obviously the reason why we concede there is no way of interacting with them to tell them not to do it or to train them not to do it anymore. Of course, you might say their attributes are a contributing factor, this, I understand, yet it happens far to often for it to be attributed solely on the defenders attributes. 

13 hours ago, kristalshards said:

Thanks, you cleared up a bit my foggy brain. I will try those suggestions you've said and see how it goes.

I have chosen the CWB because I wanted someone to be more advanced as it looked like most of the times the LB was too deep to support the AP or the CF, so I have decided to go with that as the WB-A might have been too direct for my liking.

Then I agree with you with the BPD, I haven't used these roles too much in my whole FM game-play so I don't know how exactly they work, I am trying to experiment with things right now and see what I can do. But I guess I'll just have to remove the BPD. I will look into the roles and the Team Shape and how they work and see how I can improve things.

Edit: Nope, not working.

If the problem is not getting that "build from the back" style, try lowering the mentality so players take safer options and will play lateral/backwards a bit more.  Control is still a attacking mentality that prioritizes forward play more than any other.  This should make it a bit more probing and patient, should resort to long shots less to.

Apart from that we're going to need more than "nope, not working" if you want to get it working.

hi,

I'm trying to developed another version of my 4123 Wide DM tactic, this time trying to use the Raumdeuter in it.

So i came up with this setup:

AF(a)

IF(s)                                 RMD(a)

AP(s)     BBM(s)

DLP(d)

WB(a)    DC(d)    DC(d)    WB(a)

SK(d)

Playing with Control Mentality and Fluid Team Shape.

TI's: pass into space, higher D-line, tight marking, play out from defense, more closing down.

Do you think that it's a odd choice having oen AF(a) when playing as my lone forward.

The idea was having my forward pushing the opponent defense back, so that my RMD had some extra space, and at the same time take advantage of the passes that the AP(s) and the IF(s) can produce.

Should i go with a different type of role for my forward? Perhaps one with support duty?

Edited by Keyzer Soze

4 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

hi,

I'm trying to developed another version of my 4123 Wide DM tactic, this time trying to use the Raumdeuter in it.

So i came up with this setup:

AF(a)

IF(s)                                 RMD(a)

AP(s)     BBM(s)

DLP(d)

WB(a)    DC(d)    DC(d)    WB(a)

SK(d)

Playing with Control Mentality and Fluid Team Shape.

TI's: pass into space, higher D-line, tight marking, play out from defense, more closing down.

Do you think that it's a odd choice having oen AF(a) when playing as my lone forward.

The idea was having my forward pushing the opponent defense back, so that my RMD had some extra space, and at the same time take advantage of the passes that the AP(s) and the IF(s) can produce.

Should i go with a different type of role for my forward? Perhaps one with support duty?

I've had RMD do really well for me as the main goal scorer in multiple tactics.  I typically used more mobile ST roles such as F9, CF-S or CF-A who would be a creative player.  The more controlling possession tactics used the support duty to help with possession and potentially draw defenders out.  The more fast attacking style I used CF-A so he would occupy the defenders but still move around a bit and create for the RMD, the CF-A was my secondary goal scorer.  I think a AF-A + RMD-A are two goal scoring focused roles who are trying to get in behind the defence so might get in each others way and not create space or chances for the other.

I'd also watch for the BBM + RMD being on the same side, both will roam and if the BBM tries to get into the box the RMD might already be there.  I think having the AP-S on that side makes more sense to play balls through to the RMD.

6 minutes ago, Bunkerossian said:

I see that people do use 2 attacking duties on 1 flank fairly often. I had thought that was a big no-no. Why is it apparently, still doable?

If the advanced player is a player who moves / cuts inside such as IF, AP or RMD then it gives the deeper player space to attack.  But because you have two attack duties you have to consider who will support and cover for those players.  Plus if both push up to try and get in behind, does it fit your style with fewer supporting players?

I read earlier in this thread that defensive compactness isn't effected much, if at all, by fluidity. I could have sworn I've read in numerous threads that this is one of the main factors in selecting a team shape. Am I going crazy?

If it's true that it doesn't make much of a difference in defensive compactness, can you recommend a starting point to getting an extremely compact defensive shape? 

Thanks. :) 

12 hours ago, summatsupeer said:

I've had RMD do really well for me as the main goal scorer in multiple tactics.  I typically used more mobile ST roles such as F9, CF-S or CF-A who would be a creative player.  The more controlling possession tactics used the support duty to help with possession and potentially draw defenders out.  The more fast attacking style I used CF-A so he would occupy the defenders but still move around a bit and create for the RMD, the CF-A was my secondary goal scorer.  I think a AF-A + RMD-A are two goal scoring focused roles who are trying to get in behind the defence so might get in each others way and not create space or chances for the other.

I'd also watch for the BBM + RMD being on the same side, both will roam and if the BBM tries to get into the box the RMD might already be there.  I think having the AP-S on that side makes more sense to play balls through to the RMD.

Thks for the help summatsupeer,

I understand the idea of having a more mobile ST, but that was the reason i choose the AF(a). I thought that he was a very mobile player having the instructions "move into channels" and "dribble more" selected by default. More mobile when compare with the CF(s) or CF(a).

In some games, i already had chosen the F9, mainly against bigger teams.

Anyway, i'm gonna give it a try playing with a CF(s) or CF(a) as my ST.

And also thanks for the tip about changing the position of the AP(s)-BBM(s). It makes much more sence the way you said it. :)

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 14:42, liam9sufc said:

Besides the playmaker/target man box being ticked, is the difference between roles purely based on their PI's?

For example, the box to box midfielder(s) role has only one hard coded PI - roam from position, CM(s) has no hard coded PI's. So theoretically should a B2B(s) play exactly the same as a CM(s) with roam from position PI added? Is it right to rule out FMs description of the roles and the fact they are positioned differently on the TC screen in these cases?

In case it was missed being the last post on the last page :)

Edited by liam9sufc

5 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

What are the key attributes for our assist manager gives the best OI's?

Tactical Knowledge? Tactics? Both? Others?

I'd go with Tactical Knowledge and Defending, as OIs are defensive by nature.  Just exercise caution when using them as they can throw your tactic out of balance.  And if you use an AM (or other member of staff) to set OIs, always check what they set just in case they do something dumb.

1 hour ago, liam9sufc said:

Some perhaps are, others probably aren't.  There will be similarities but it's not that straight forward.  A CM(s) with More Roaming selected isn't going to play quite the same as a B2B to follow the example.

Like Keyzer Soze a few posts above me, I was considering a tactic with a raumdeuter on one side and an inside forward on the other side.  Since I am quite bad at setting up my own tactics I did a google search to see what other people were doing to make it work, the issue I have is that I came up with two pieces of information that kinda counter eachother.  One was a post from Rashidi on his blog explaining in detail the differences between a raumdeuter and an inside forward.  Rashidi wrote that the RMD needs someone behind him to exploit the space he leaves behind, so an attacking wingback, and that the inside forwards needs someone behind him who locks down the space behind him while the IF makes his attacking moves, so a fullback on support.  On the other hand I found information suggesting that the inside forward works a lot better when he also has someone behind him that attacks the space he creates by cutting inside and dragging defenders with him.

So which one is correct?  Would a F9 also dive into the space that the inside forward creates and would that be enough?  Or is it more that the RMD will always look to find and run into space so he will "always" leave that space behind for someone else to fill while the inside forward will not always be able to create the extra space and therefor a fullback on support is sufficient for when the IF indeed does create the extra space?

Or are both right and is it more an issue of having to balance the team defensive wise?

Also would an offensive partnership of a RMD-F9-IF be enough to dislodge teams that park the bus against you, or is that partnership something more suited to a counter attacking style since there would be more space to exploit?

So I have this tactic that I am working on atm.

Tottenham_Hotspur___Overview.png

My main concern is the space between my BBM, AMR and RB and I feel that sooner or later, that space will be exploited by a skillful player and will cause me sort of problems. What I have worked out so far is to move the AMR down to a MR position and give him an attack duty to try and replicate the IF-S.

Tottenham_Hotspur___Overview-2.png

I had to play around with the duties as I didn't want either flank to be too attacking so I ended up with that. Now thing is, if I wanted to keep the formation with the AMR, what could I do about that space?

Just now, Swillo said:

This really is a stupid question : how long does it take the AI to "learn" my tactics? If I alternate players but in same position and role would it take them longer? 

The AI cannot 'learn' your tactic, ever, so the answer is never.

Hi, little question about "Tempo"

I have a tactic, 4123 wide DM, setup up luke this:

DLF(s)

W(s)                                    IF(s)

CM(a)       AP(s)

DLP(s)

WB(a)    CD(d)    CD(d)    WB(a)

SK(d)

I play with control mentality.

Sometimes i feel that my WB(a) dont get to the attack because the play is too rushed by the others players.

How can i avoid this?

Is reducing tempo the solution?

Apart from tempo, what else could i do?

For example, the TI look for overlap, could help? because it tells to the more advanced players to hold on?

Edited by Keyzer Soze

It's an option, only trying it will find out if its the solution.

Control mentality will make your players prioritize forward play to create a chance.  Slowing the tempo will make them take a few moments longer to see there options and to pick the best option, but it won't change how they prioritize the options.

Other instructions like Team Shape might also contribute, a very structured shape will make the deeper players less risky so will take longer until its safer to get forward rather than making earlier runs during transitions.

8 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

It's an option, only trying it will find out if its the solution.

Control mentality will make your players prioritize forward play to create a chance.  Slowing the tempo will make them take a few moments longer to see there options and to pick the best option, but it won't change how they prioritize the options.

Other instructions like Team Shape might also contribute, a very structured shape will make the deeper players less risky so will take longer until its safer to get forward rather than making earlier runs during transitions.

ok,

But about team shape i play fluid, so the wingbacks should join in earlier.

29 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

ok,

But about team shape i play fluid, so the wingbacks should join in earlier.

Perhaps, but also remember that Fluid adds in creative freedom, so players will be looking to make more risky passes and take a few more risks.

Have you had a look at where the issue may originate from?  Is the SK(A) for example punting the ball long too often?  Maybe the the DLP(S) is playing a few too many long range passes?

Sorry, my bad.

The DLP, playing in the DM position is on defensive duty.

And the SK is not on attack, but on defensive duty also.

I play the game in a tablet, so i don't have the option to see the full game, but it seems related with the midfield. Perhaps the CM(a)+AP(s) is rushing the play too much.

On the wing, i have to players (WS and IF) both on support, so i don't think the problem is there.

Sounds like you want something to keep possession a bit more, so i've shamefully lifted the options and explanations from the Possession guide by Cleon.

Highly Structured Team Shape – This would allow space to open in midfield and encourages players to keep it simple.

Lower Tempo – This encourages players to look for support and not to rush with their play. Players will be looking up and accessing their options more.

Roam From Position – Encourage players to make themselves available, keeping support options available. It’s probably one (if not) the most important aspect of ball retention.

Dribble Less – You don’t want many players dribbling with the ball because you want players in support and the idea is to retain possession. Dribbling can see passing options reduced.

Pass it Shorter – It’s all about keeping it simple with the ball. The longer the pass the more likely it can be under/over hit, mistimed or even intercepted by the opposition.

Retain Possession – Again it reduces passing length making it even shorter and cutting the risk of through balls out.

Work Ball Into Box – You don’t want players shooting from distances and wasting chances. Not only that but it would give the opposition the ball, which kinda goes against possession right?

Play Out of Defence – Building attacks from the back is basic possession football.

Distribute Short – If you don’t then you will often find your keeper booting the ball long and wasting possession. Your keepers distribution will likely have the single biggest impact on your overall possession. So make sure he isn’t wasting it.

I think you should just give your initial idea a try, lower the tempo.

1 hour ago, pocketspace said:

Does the F9 attract balls more than a DLF?

Possibly.  

If you are asking if there is something hard coded into the game to make an F9 attract the ball, then no.  As far as I am aware, only the defined "playmaker" type of roles (AP, DLP, RPM, TQ, WP, Regista) and the "Target Man" role have something hard coded to make them attract the ball more than other roles.

However, different roles will see more of the ball simply because of how the move on the pitch.  A Poacher (for example) will see less of the ball simply because they hang around the box waiting for a scoring chance, whereas an F9 will get more of the ball because they'll be more involved in build up play due to their movement.  But that isn't because they "attract" the ball, it's just because of their movement.

Your offensive shape.

In the defensive phase your team naturally withdraws into a compact unit anyway, regardless of instructions.  If you play wide offensively your players will have a little further to transition back when defending, so there is a small indirect impact for the transition but not the actual defensive shape.

Is it possible, when creating a tactic, to tell a specific position to man mark another specific position in the opposition lineup or does it have to be done at the start of every match? Also, is it still possible to tell players to swap positions? 

8 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Is it possible, when creating a tactic, to tell a specific position to man mark another specific position in the opposition lineup or does it have to be done at the start of every match? Also, is it still possible to tell players to swap positions? 

Only when starting the match as far as I know.

Swapping can be done by clicking "Playing Instructions" in the tactics screen at any time. Not "Edit", but "PI".

2 hours ago, Ji-Sung Park said:

Which mental attributes factor in for complacency in matches? I have an on-loan CB who very often get complacent in matches where we lead by 2 goals or more. I have option to buy, but a little unsure on his mental state.

Complacency can be a bit of a dark art with various factors such as player personality, Manager status & attributes, Team Talk (and individual Player Talk) tone & effectiveness, squad rotation, and match importance all (possibly) having an impact.  I'm yet to see an all encompassing guide on this subject.

Check your Assistant Manager feedback reports and his Pre-Match feedback (Overview>Feedback from the Team Talk screen) before and after you've given your Team Talk as this can highlight to you who may become complacent and may require an individual pre-match talk.  Also try to vary your Team Talks as repetition will turn off players.