Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pointless playing carroll up front on his own v stoke, his lack of movement would have made it easy for them and he'd have done nothing all day. he gets double teamed anyway against most other teams when he plays and is mostly ineffectual. thats why ive been saying he needs someone in and around him pulling defenders around to get him space but this hasnt been addressed properly as when suarez plays he moves into channels leaving carroll up against 2 cbs again.

having said all this, does anyone else think his hearts just not in it for us? he made it clear he didnt want to leave newcastle at the time and said they were the only team he wanted to play for and when there, he truly was unplayable at times. we havent even seen a glimpse of that player in a year. im really starting to believe he doesnt really want to be here and his hearts still in newcastle.

right now hes a square peg in a round hole and its pointless even playing him anymore.

He's probably give up waiting for something creative to happen.

Does anyone think that Dirk is at a point in his career where he doesn't offer enough to the team to be worth a starting place? I could see this being his last season. He's been poor for all of this season and most of last season from what I remember. He doesn't even chip in with the odd goal anymore. Has been a great servant to the club but I think he just plays based off his reputation nowadays.

I think it's been clear that Dirk was supposed to be rotated more this year, I think Henderson/Bellamy/Downing were going to be right wing alternatives with Suarez and/or Carroll up front. I think he's been rotated less because of the poor form of other players.

But it is clear he has dropped down a level, I don't know if that's age or a change in playstyle this season.

@ ssn. i agree to a certain extent tbf but he does himself no favours when he actually does get the ball does he? he's been awful.

i think i may and go and support swansea for awhile anyway :D they were excellent today going forward. i think we should get dyer, sinclair and even graham off them and give them carroll and downing in return. we definitely need a right winger with a bit of trickery and the ability to beat a man or 2 like dyer or shaqiri can and i think itd bring more balance and width to the side opening up space more on the opposite flank and would arguably be a more important signing than a striker or dm imo.

Heard it from the guy who rubbished our claims of signing bent from the start. Like all rumours, I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

Got a response from Nick Parrot on twitter last night regarding Defoe, he pretty much said the same as Divinty when it comes to Bruce and how he wouldn't know who we would be signing.

Will be gutted if Remy goes to Spurs btw

Looks like we'll have an excellent chance of signing Sow, he's apparently said playing for Liverpool would be a dream and a possible exchange involving Joe Cole could be on the cards.

Looks to be a decent player, only 25, 5' 11", top scorer in the French league last season with 25, only 6 so far this season plus 3 in the CL.

Does anyone else know much about him? This is from about 5 mins of internet browsing......

Sow seems a bit of a one season wonder, not that I claim to know much about him.

Still not convinced its a Centre forward we need anyway, would having a different face playing upfront on his own standing in the box with no red shirt within 30 yards of him make that much difference ?

Then you probably want to watch us more :)

Maxi aside we don't have one player that wants to actually support the front line, Suarez is as Talented as it gets and he couldn't do it "all on his own" what makes you think anyone else we could sign will magically be able to do it ? unless you think a new forward will change how we play.

Yeah, the gap between the midfield and the forward(s) is too big, even with Stewart "47 shots and no goals" Downing in the side. Another wide forward who could get into the box to support Suarez would be brilliant.

Somebody in the Thierry Henry mould (though I appreciate we're a long way off being able to sign a player of his heyday quality).

No need to be condescending thank you. I watch a great deal of football, too much it could be argued, and i understand the teams needs well. Another striker is a necessity from more angles than just a goalscorer, and for your easy digestion I shall list them below.

1) It will change the way we play. It would give a focal point to the attack as we would have a capable and apt striker who would hold his position further up the field. Suarez doesnt do that, and Carroll isnt capable enough.

2) It will relieve the mental pressure that Suarez has had to work under as of late. This will hopefully see a greater contribution and allow said contributions to be more effective.

3) We do need another striker, as evidenced by previous matches in which we struggled, during which the tactics were probably better than a lot of persons will give credit for. The issue was largely that there was no striker (as i have written about in previous posts) available who could a) play with the ball delivered into the channels, b) play with the ball delivered into feet to allow players time to advance, or c) be relied upon to make space for himself inside the box. A player who can do any of those points, with an expectation of two, would add so much more to the team you would see a massive transformation.

4) Signing a striker like Sow, who would do most of the points listed in 3, would give an optimal front line of Sow and Suarez with Gerrard supporting from behind. That is a very capable threesome. Add into that the ability of Johnson from wide and we would be a lot more potent than we currently are.

So yes, in short a striker like Sow would probably solve a lot of our problems. Its far far too simplistic to suggest that "midfielders not making runs mean we need more midfielders". They just cant charge forward on a whim when theres noone up top capable of holding onto or using the ball.

It wasn't condescending but hey, condescending would be dismissing someone else's post with 4 words or using the phrase "for your easy digestion" :)

Its not Simplistic, its just an observation on the way we play. A new forward wouldn't change the fact we have no one that can cross a ball or make an a quick incisive pass, it wouldn't change the fact that the midfield doesn't seem to know how to drag well set-up defensive teams out of position and create space and again a new forward would still be alone on his own in the box unless other players make an effort to get up and support him.

Both Suarez and Kuyt can hold the ball up you can argue kuyt can't pass to save his life but if there's no one looking to get past the forward holding the ball up or support in the box when the forward runs a channel it doesn't really matter who the forward is in the grand scheme of things.

It wasn't condescending but hey, condescending would be dismissing someone else's post with 4 words or using the phrase "for your easy digestion" :)

Its not Simplistic, its just an observation on the way we play. A new forward wouldn't change the fact we have no one that can cross a ball or make an a quick incisive pass, it wouldn't change the fact that the midfield doesn't seem to know how to drag well set-up defensive teams out of position and create space and again a new forward would still be alone on his own in the box unless other players make an effort to get up and support him.

Both Suarez and Kuyt can hold the ball up you can argue kuyt can't pass to save his life but if there's no one looking to get past the forward holding the ball up or support in the box when the forward runs a channel it doesn't really matter who the forward is in the grand scheme of things.

Ok, so kuyt cant pass - this would cause a lot of attacks to falter, and im sure a lot of players who would normally gamble think twice about vacating their defensive position when kuyt has the ball because theres probably more chance of him losing it than anything else. If suarez holds up the ball hes on his own, if we have an other striker taking suarez' role then suarez can be the support. the lack of support, in my opinion, is to do with not having an able centre forward who holds his position and the ball well.

I could cope with us challenging for 4th and 5th with the emergence of Spurs, and the money of City. But Newcastle looking (and currently being) better than us is really disappointing. I can't think of a starting striker in the Premiership that I wouldn't rather have up front than Carroll or Kuyt at the moment.

Can we get Leon Best in on the cheap?

Archived