Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course we had tonnes of possession when we outnumber them in midfield by about 3 to 1. Our biggest problem today was that none of them, not one, ever gambled and got into the box to support Kuyt. We ended up with Johnson being our best attacking outlet, which is a shambles.

So it wasn't Carroll's fault today, but he's a massive millstone around our necks. He's ****, far too poor to be relied upon in the near future, and whilst he's at the club I don't think we're going to go out and sign another striker. It would do everyone a favour if we were to cut our losses on him and flog him back to Newcastle. Or anywhere.

Or maybe Kenny shouldn't have taken off Downing and Henderson when he's bringing on strikers. Take off one of our 18 defenders.

this. was sitting there thinking why are we taking downing off when weve got a spare cb doing nothing or not needed. baffling subs today. i thought both hendo and downing should have stayed on. adam was a passenger for most of the game, apart from 1 or 2 good long balls he gave us nothing. at least hendo was lively.

Don't care what stats say our midfield was poor dalglish too negative. kuyt missed a great chance and looked a pen couldn't see who was pulled down think was Carroll.

Henderson woud have the ball but nobody looking for it in middle of the park so he had to pass backwards or sidewards.

Where is the runners from deep

When do the midfield take a player on and beat them

Tempo too slow

Players dwell too much on the ball because nothing on

Who brings the ball forward so others can surge forward it's all slow build up pass backwards and sideways

Starting to think dalglish out, too defensive

70% possession, 82% pass completion and 10 shots on goal. Whilst restricting the opposing team from playing and creating any chances. I'd say midfield wasn't awful and our problem is still having Strikers who can take their chances or can change a game when they come on. Carroll was awful when he was on the pitch, and it doesn't help creating chances when he's so static.

This just confirms stats mean nothing.

You've also got to ask the question:

If Carroll doesn't fit in to Liverpools style of play, then why -

a) Did he get bought in the first place? I presume people had done research on what service he requires.

b) Did we then not go and buy players in the summer that he requires to score goals

c) Spend close to 50 million on players and not one of them can supply Carroll correctly.

Whoever is the decision maker in all of this, must take a look at themselves and think about stepping down (not saying Kenny, as I presume he has a whole load of people behind the scenes as well). Especially if they don't fix it this transfer window.

That was hard to watch.

we had 3 CB's on and STOKE had 4.... no wonder both teams only had 1 shot on target each. Kenny got it wrong today. Adam was decent and Johnson.

Well that's irrelevant considering they play two of them as full backs, oh and Wilson isn't a CB.

Don't care what stats say our midfield was poor dalglish too negative. kuyt missed a great chance and looked a pen couldn't see who was pulled down think was Carroll.

Henderson woud have the ball but nobody looking for it in middle of the park so he had to pass backwards or sidewards.

Where is the runners from deep

When do the midfield take a player on and beat them

Tempo too slow

Players dwell too much on the ball because nothing on

Who brings the ball forward so others can surge forward it's all slow build up pass backwards and sideways

Starting to think dalglish out, too defensive

Bold bit is completely wrong. The midfield was generally fine today, where we lacked was with Downing. When hes the primary option of the link between midfield and attack then we have serious issues. Ideally it should have been Gerrard but he actually had a reasonably good "deeper" partnership with Adam today. Problem today was a) Downing being useless and not having the skillsets to play in the hole, b) Kuyt not offering enough as a striker and c) the lack of options on the bench.

to expand on point b), with a lone striker you need one of a few things, depending on how you want to play. you need a big player, pretty much in the physical mould of carroll, who can hold the ball up with his back to goal long enough for the midfield to catch up. we actually tried this today in the first half - relatively deep defensive line, patient build up passing the midfield between the back 6 and looking for openings to play direct into Kuyt's feet. The theory was fine, and sometimes the application was, but Kuyt is not on form/ that type of player to play that way. Basically, Carroll should be that player but hes not, so we have lost out.

The other way of going about it is to have the striker play in the channels. Kuyt didnt do that at all today, and whilst a bit of that is probably due to the way stoke set up, it seemed a tactical decision that he didnt? because i dont think he played outside the width of the box until bellamy came on and he moved out wide. You really need a striker to run the channels to a) get the ball in decent positions, and b) make space between defenders for the likes of Henderson and Gerrard to run into.

So yeah. Midfield three of Gerrard, Adam and Henderson was fine. The problem was Downing and Kuyt today, and probably the tactics they were given too.

As for your "dalglish out" comment, other managers would probably take criticism at this point, but to say hes too defensive? thats just wrong. hes spent bad and on the basis of today hes tactically naive but hes not defensive by any means, evidenced by Coates, Enrique, Johnson all contributing to attacks.

Dalglish not defensive you say

How many defenders were on against city second half.

Best defensive record one of if not the worst goal scoring record in league

Only scored more than 1 goal in a game at home 3 times I think

Swansea, Norwich, Sunderland, Wigan, Blackburn, stoke we didn't batter these sides and make their defence work overtime. Keeper might have made 3 world class saves but overall we didn't do enough to win them games

Im sorry but I have to offer some points to the contrary there.

Henderson was fine today, for numerous reasons. Firstly, he appeared to keep the ball as well as anyone else in the midfield. He also didnt play any worse, or offer any less in an attacking aspect, than anyone else in the midfield. Secondly, and I go into further detail if you want, he had a valuable partnership with Johnson on the right had side which was pivotal in freeingup Johnson to have such an influence on the game today (he played well himself imo). Henderson also has a lot of game intelligence, which is often overlooked.

Its also important to remember hes only 21, still developing, and was shunted around the pitch today filling numerous positions. Ask yourself - how many 21 year olds would you expect to win a game on their own? Very few I would muse. True, Ill grant you that we need players now rather than in a few years, but hes what we have and we have to use him.

Dalglish not defensive you say

How many defenders were on against city second half.

Best defensive record one of if not the worst goal scoring record in league

Only scored more than 1 goal in a game at home 3 times I think

Swansea, Norwich, Sunderland, Wigan, Blackburn, stoke we didn't batter these sides and make their defence work overtime. Keeper might have made 3 world class saves but overall we didn't do enough to win them games

Tony, its not just about numbers. Going by your theory a 352 would be more defensive than a 442 because theres 5 defenders in the latter, when in fact its more about how that formation is used and applied that determines attacking intent. 3 at the back today freed up Johnson and Enrique a lot more than they would have been in a flat back four, and we still would have had the two deeper CM's in a 442/451 just like today. The defensive record shows us that our defence is solid, not that weve too many on the pitch. The contrasting lack of attacking prowess tells us that are attackers at the minute are ****, and they largely are. Look at our offering today - Downing and Kuyt as the two furthermost players. Both horrendously out of form and lacking the nous to play as they were asked. Add to that the lack of options on the bench and you can see why we struggle to score.

Henderson was fine today, for numerous reasons. Firstly, he appeared to keep the ball as well as anyone else in the midfield. He also didnt play any worse, or offer any less in an attacking aspect, than anyone else in the midfield. Secondly, and I go into further detail if you want, he had a valuable partnership with Johnson on the right had side which was pivotal in freeingup Johnson to have such an influence on the game today (he played well himself imo). Henderson also has a lot of game intelligence, which is often overlooked.

Its also important to remember hes only 21, still developing, and was shunted around the pitch today filling numerous positions. Ask yourself - how many 21 year olds would you expect to win a game on their own? Very few I would muse. True, Ill grant you that we need players now rather than in a few years, but hes what we have and we have to use him.

Like I said, he's a ball retainer. That's probably what he was bought for, so whatever. Nothing much to discuss.

Rhino ffs, I think this is the third time I've seen you suggesting McGeady for Liverpool. Although I'm only a casual watcher of Liverpool's current fortunes I thought it was someone with a decent end product or a clinical forward you needed. McGeady will dance around a lot and look decent but unless he has improved ten-fold in that department there is no way he's the guy to stick delivery after delivery to Carroll and Suarez.
I'm going to keep banging the drum until it happens.*ignores warning*

i think downings playing against more and more defensive teams now hes with us tbf. how many times did we get behind their defence today? only once i can remember when adam played that beautiful crossfield pass to enrique. its a wierd one tho as them 2 just havent seemed to gel at all, maybe enrique doesnt trust him or something but he hardly ever makes the overlap for downing and its hindering both of them.

Tony, its not just about numbers. Going by your theory a 352 would be more defensive than a 442 because theres 5 defenders in the latter, when in fact its more about how that formation is used and applied that determines attacking intent. 3 at the back today freed up Johnson and Enrique a lot more than they would have been in a flat back four, and we still would have had the two deeper CM's in a 442/451 just like today. The defensive record shows us that our defence is solid, not that weve too many on the pitch. The contrasting lack of attacking prowess tells us that are attackers at the minute are ****, and they largely are. Look at our offering today - Downing and Kuyt as the two furthermost players. Both horrendously out of form and lacking the nous to play as they were asked. Add to that the lack of options on the bench and you can see why we struggle to score.

If you don't get players in the box you don't score goals. Liverpool have a good defensive record because they defend in numbers too often our strikers are isolated the midfield is too close to our defenders not close enough to our strikers when we attack.

Downing short of confidence so why doesn't maxi start, why isn't shelvey getting a game. Adam hits too many long passes more often than not they don't hit their target and the shot on half way line when we were on the attack sums him up he looks for the hardest option and gives ball away cheaply.

I can agree with what you say there, but none of that relates to whether we play with 2 or 3 CB's. We should still be able to defend in numbers and attack in a proper manner, but the problem at the minute is the lack of attackers who can hold the ball up or link play well.

Agree about Maxi and Shelvey, would have had both of them starting today.

I think Kenny will step down the end of this season. And I think Benitez will get the job back. I can just see that happening.

I hope not, no doubt he attracted top players to the club and when given money he bought good players but I have had enough with defence minded managers I want to see us take the game to teams for 90 mins rather than set up as hard to beat and nick a goal.

I know we played great football the last few months when we came second but that's when we had to play catch up with united and second place was already assured.

Alonso, Mascherano,Torres, Gerrard, Hypia, Arbeloa, Benayoun etc should have won the title that season but the fact we only lost 2 games that season underlines my point.

City, united, spurs and arsenal set up to win games no matter who they play, they might lose a couple but better to lose 2 and win 3 than draw 3 loose 1 and win 1. We can have 10 messi's but if you don't have players in the box you don't score goals. Atmosphere is poor and that's partly down to the football we play it doesn't lift the crowd.

Downing, Henderson, Carroll, Adam they prob all scored double figures for their clubs last season (Adam did take pens I admit) now they can't score don't you think some of it is down to us playing more disciplined downing and Henderson being asked to help the defenders more at Liverpool and Carroll lone striker near the half way line plays 1 game then dropped for 3 games.

I hope not, no doubt he attracted top players to the club and when given money he bought good players but I have had enough with defence minded managers I want to see us take the game to teams for 90 mins rather than set up as hard to beat and nick a goal.

I know we played great football the last few months when we came second but that's when we had to play catch up with united and second place was already assured.

Alonso, Mascherano,Torres, Gerrard, Hypia, Arbeloa, Benayoun etc should have won the title that season but the fact we only lost 2 games that season underlines my point.

What a load of crap Tony, seriously. The highest ever points tally for a team to finish second doesn't mean it was a defence minded team.

What a load of crap Tony, seriously. The highest ever points tally for a team to finish second doesn't mean it was a defence minded team.

Theres a difference Between been set up to be Defensive and to be in control, Rafa always went with the second that's pretty much the Spainish way of playing at the moment.

The second half Against City was Defensive and shockingly bad whatever the result, the way Stoke played against us is defensive, Houlliers 4 Centre backs and hit them on the counter is defensive, how we played under Rafa however Frustrating it was at times because we were short of one or two quality attacking players just simply wasn't.

I'd still be wary of having him back here tho, the mud that was flung whether or not it was true or not has stuck even with all the work he's put into getting some of the English media onside it would still probably end up with another drama and it would be nice to have one season when we don't have any.

As I said only last 3 months. I think we were top in december and played West Ham etc at home and drew a few 0-0 he played cautious game bit like Stoke away Gerrard and torres on the bench we drew 0-0 Gerrard hit the post late on after coming on.

That LFC sides was maybe second best sides I have ever seen but it was only when he let them off the leash and we were playing catch up that you saw how good they were.

We scored 77 goals in that season we finished 2nd, which was actually more than the champions and the highest number in the league. Come on Tony, eyes open lad.

Can only stay brief to try and debunk the myth that we were defensive yesterday - we werent, we were just poor in attack.

Henderson is growing every game and its clear to see

You've also got to ask the question:

If Carroll doesn't fit in to Liverpools style of play, then why -

a) Did he get bought in the first place? I presume people had done research on what service he requires.

b) Did we then not go and buy players in the summer that he requires to score goals

c) Spend close to 50 million on players and not one of them can supply Carroll correctly.

Whoever is the decision maker in all of this, must take a look at themselves and think about stepping down (not saying Kenny, as I presume he has a whole load of people behind the scenes as well). Especially if they don't fix it this transfer window.

Personally think it was a panic buy. No one really anticipated Torres leaving and because it was late in the window we just looked up the goalscoring chart and picked a name we could get.

We scored 77 goals in that season we finished 2nd, which was actually more than the champions and the highest number in the league. Come on Tony, eyes open lad.

Can only stay brief to try and debunk the myth that we were defensive yesterday - we werent, we were just poor in attack.

Forget the time under rafa lets say were were attacking all season etc I'm wrong you can't tell me yesterday we were not defensive with only 1 striker up top 3 centre backs. Johnson was playing as a central midfielder at times and enrique got down the flank Downing not once over lapped him.

Yesterday was one game the problem we have was not just yesterday the problem we have is we don't get midfielders in the box we sit deep and at Anfield teams come set up happy for a draw and we can't break them down with the way we set out. Dalglish needs to take more risks.

Man City were awful last week we created chances first half played well second half everyone back we took our attacking players off and put on Carragher etc what if City had scored which nearly came from a Kelly mistake? You can't play like that because your asking for trouble.

Wigan away brilliant first 20 mins we pressed high up the pitch forced a few easy saves but the goal was coming then slowly slowly we sat further back and apart from the penalty we created nothing.

Swansea at home Carroll hit the bar should have scored but then we didn't create anything until the last 10 mins where the keeper made 2 great saves thats not good enough and we were lucky Swansea didn't take their chances.

How many goals have we scored in open play? Thats not just down to just bad finishing

Ive already tried to explain why yesterday wasnt defensive on the basis of us playing 3 CB's and 1 striker. It just doesnt work like that Tony. We had full backs pushing higher up the pitch than if we had had 2 CB's so its really all swings and round abouts with about who plays where. Unsurprisingly Downing didnt overlap on many occasions because a) he wasnt playing on the wing for 55 minutes of his 58 minute appearance, and b) when he was Enrique was staying wide and Downing was cutting in - an obvious tactical ploy.

We sat deep for about 55 minutes yesterday and the reason for this is who were against. Stoke traditionally sit with about 9 players in a tight confined space well within their own half.

Kenny obviously thought a reasonable tactic was to sit back, try to patiently pass the ball between the back 6 to draw Stoke players out of position before directly passing into Kuyts feet when the opportunity arose. This pattern of play happened again and again in the first half. Its a reasonable tactic and you cant criticise him for it not working to the degree that some wish. The problem does arise from lack of support around Kuyt, but thats the trade off with playing deep and also for having a striker that a) cant hit the channels to have the ball knocked into (wouldnt work with Stoke so deep anyway), or b) hold the ball up well enough to give the midfield the time to advance. Neither of those happened often enough yesterday. Its just not as simple as saying "you there! run forward more". We also struggle against teams like Stoke et al because we lack a clever intelligent player who can play with the ball at his feet between the lines, even more so when Suarez is out.

City game annoyed me in the second half, agree with your point about that. Wigan played similar to Stoke in that they defended in numbers - we lack the players to break teams down that do this, nothing to do with too defensive. As for your point about open play goals, are not one of the teams that have created the most chances? Sounds like a finishing issue to me.

What Insipidus said. I was actually a little encouraged by the tactics yesterday after a few people in here were expecting 'hoofball' with Carragher in the team. Building up from the back takes time, you can't just run full pelt into a wall of 9 or 10 players. Patience was the key yesterday and we had it, it was just unfortunate the players on the pitch weren't good enough.

Having said all that, I think Carroll should have started with Gerrard in behind him. Johnson looked fine in midfield, Kelly should have been at RB rather than Skrtel. Kelly knows more about getting forward and has got a really good cross on him, something we were sorely lacking in yesterday. I thought Enrique was really poor, easily the worst game i've seen him play for us. Adam just wasn't effective enough for a supposed forward-thinking midfielder, and I could have shot him when he went for that stupid lob when we were out on the break. Can't wait to get Suarez back. If we buy anyone it needs to be a replacement for Charlie Adam. He's just not good enough, there's no getting around it.

pointless playing carroll up front on his own v stoke, his lack of movement would have made it easy for them and he'd have done nothing all day. he gets double teamed anyway against most other teams when he plays and is mostly ineffectual. thats why ive been saying he needs someone in and around him pulling defenders around to get him space but this hasnt been addressed properly as when suarez plays he moves into channels leaving carroll up against 2 cbs again.

having said all this, does anyone else think his hearts just not in it for us? he made it clear he didnt want to leave newcastle at the time and said they were the only team he wanted to play for and when there, he truly was unplayable at times. we havent even seen a glimpse of that player in a year. im really starting to believe he doesnt really want to be here and his hearts still in newcastle.

right now hes a square peg in a round hole and its pointless even playing him anymore.

Archived