Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't work like that in regards to shirt sales. You guys have a deal addidas to make your shirts and they pay you £20m a season for the privilege. They then make all profit from sales of the shirt. Chelsea even have to buy them from Addidas to sell them in their own club shop etc.

And there's no way you would sell 700k from two players, maybe all your sales combined.

Quite right. And even if they did sell 700k shirts from 2 players it wouldn't be current sales + 700k, it would most certainly be part of current sales and I doubt anyone goes and buys 5 different shirts every season, people pick and choose one player per season (well, most do).

Your French might be pish, but you know 4 more languages at least (Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, Monenegrin, probably somewhat understand 5 more Slavic languages as well) :cool:

Some snippets from that interview -

"The fact Chelsea won the Champions League has influenced my decision"

"There was a battle between United and Chelsea"

"Yes, I spoke to Abramovich and we were on the same wavelength. They have ambition to become an even bigger club, bringing in great players."

"I choose Chelsea because they have the best project and it's a big team. My priority is to play!"

"I spoke with Di Matteo but I dont know if he will be the coach next season"

"When they won the Champions League I told myself “why not Chelsea?”

"I will do my best at training and summer preparation to win my place in the team."

"There was a struggle between Chelsea and United but according to me, Chelsea has the best project."

EDIT - Seeing as FFP was mentioned earlier too, this is what the Swiss Ramble had to say. Here are some snippets:

''1) CFC 10/11 loss (last year before FFP) was £67m, but that included exceptional items of £42m, so underlying loss was “only” £25m.''

''2) FFP allows some costs to be excluded (youth, depreciation, community), estimated at £18m, so CFC 10/11 loss was just £7m (in FFP terms).''

''3) FFP allows total losses of €45m (£36m) for first 2 years (11/12 + 12/13), if benefactor covers losses, so clubs have some leeway.''

''4) 11/12 CFC revenue boosted by CL win (£12m more prize money + gate receipts + sponsor bonuses), tho partly offset by player/coach bonuses.''

''5) CFC 11/12 PL revenue was £3m lower (6th place), but more from FA Cup win. Profit on player sales also likely to be lower than 10/11.''

''6) CFC 11/12 commercial revenue should have increased, not just from main Adidas & Samsung deals, but also secondary sponsors.''

''7) CFC 11/12 will be hit by pay-off to AVB (£12m) and higher player amortisation, due to other purchases, e.g. Mata, Lukaku, Meireles, etc.''

''8) FFP allows exclusion of wages for players signed before June 2010, if break-even deficit only due to this factor, which will help CFC.''

''9) All in all CFC 11/12 per FFP rules still a loss, but within striking distance of FFP.''

''10) CFC 12/13 Hazard £32m & Hulk £38m obvs hurt FFP, but if 5 year contracts, annual impact only £12m player amortisation (£70m / 5 years).''

''11) CFC higher wages also a factor, but offset by departures (Anelka, Drogba, Kalou, Malouda?, Boswinga, Ferreira?, etc).''

''12) CL money up 20% in 12-15 cycle. CFC got £49m from CL last season – they (& others) simply cannot afford to miss out on qualification.''

''13) CFC could still pull a few irons out of the fire, e.g. stadium naming rights.''

''14) So Hazard & Hulk obviously make it more difficult for CFC to meet FFP (it was already a struggle), but may be closer than most believe.''

''15) Please note that this is NOT an attempt to forecast next CFC figures, but just some food for thought.''

Sweet. Won't be one of those getting a Hazard shirt though, I have a bad record when it comes to shirts with new signings on the back (Shevchenko & Bosingwa) so I'm planning to get Ramires or David Luiz for next season.
What possessed you to get Bosingwa on the back of your shirt? :D

Chelsea, you're finished. Sign all the Hazard's you like. Drogba's gone and Lampards gonna be another year older, the absolute heart of Chelsea's success. Look at all the strikers you've had down the years, Crespo, Shevchenko, Anelka, Torres, all quality, yet all failed basically. Why? Because they couldn't adapt to the Chelsea way, as in they weren't big powerful, great holders of the ball who are fantastic in the air. Drogba was the only one who could play the awful way Chelsea play successfully.

Chelsea, you're finished. Sign all the Hazard's you like. Drogba's gone and Lampards gonna be another year older, the absolute heart of Chelsea's success. Look at all the strikers you've had down the years, Crespo, Shevchenko, Anelka, Torres, all quality, yet all failed basically. Why? Because they couldn't adapt to the Chelsea way, as in they weren't big powerful, great holders of the ball who are fantastic in the air. Drogba was the only one who could play the awful way Chelsea play successfully.

Arsenal-Trophy-Cabinet-208x300.jpg

Interested to know what 'soul' Arsenal have remaining? Owned in part by an Uzbekistani and an American, a stadium named after a Middle-Eastern airline which always seems incredibly quiet, and a team managed by a Frenchman full of foreigners. Not criticising Arsenal in the slightest but I do fin it amusing people claiming their club has a soul when it has sold out just as much as the next.

Because its all real, its all come from a work in progress. We win a few titles, thus attract fans and sponsership. We sign and sell a few players shrewdly, thus make money. We then build a new academy and new stadium from this success and clever financial investment thus produce players, increase attendance and again increase sponsership etc etc. This is how a club grows, theres nothing wrong with that. That's fundamentally how Man U became so big from the early 90's to now for example.

Saying all of that I don't really wanna get in to the sugar daddy debate, because to be honest, who would say no?? The fact is Arsenal are great and have a soul and Chelsea suck and don't have a soul and if you'll gonna try and dispute that with logical, realistic, argument, then I have no time for you. :o

Arsenal, you're finished. Sign all the Podolski's you like. Henry's gone and Van Persies gonna be another year older, the absolute heart of Arsenal's success (or at least being close to it). Look at all the strikers you've had down the years, Bendtner, Adebayor, Wiltord, Baptiste, all quality, yet all failed basically. Why? Because they couldn't adapt to the Arsenal way, as in they weren't tippy tappy passers of the ball who are flimsy and fall over a lot. Henry was the only one who could play the awful way Arsenal play successfully.

Juvenile but couldn't help myself.:D

You wouldn't bother me so much, Chelsea, if you didn't play such crap football. If you didn't score so many deflected rubbish goals or set pieces over the years. If you didn't have to resort to the tactics you did to succeed in Europe, Barca's quality aside you've spent like billion pounds on your squad and staff and yet thats the formula you've come up with, really??

Basically, I would probably credit and acknowledge Abramovich's dream, if only I had the chance to see it. Not the Chelsea we've seen over the last 9 years.

Yep, Chelsea played awfully crap football at the end of the 2009/10 season when they scored 34 goals in their final ten Premier League games. Ghastly to watch it was.

As for winning the Champions League last season, superb tactical planning againt Barcelona twice and Bayern Munich was the reason, not "anti" football, whatever that is meant to mean.

I'll repeat; Arsenal fan in bitter blast at everyone shocker! :eek:

Hehehe... Uncle Roman with a show of force again. From Hazard's comments it seems he was concerned that if he went to Barca or Real at this stage of his career he might turn out like a van der Vaart. Still, the premier young talent of Europe, coming to us? Feels good... Now for Goetze. :D If Hulk too does join up just Marin and these two would make such an amazing summer signings photo.

I am neither an Arsenal or Chelsea fan but...

It's surely better to win playing so-called ugly football than losing playing beautiful football?

Chelsea might be investing a lot (maybe too much even), but this is how football works nowadays (and to some extent, has always been like this), money buys success.

Yep, Chelsea played awfully crap football at the end of the 2009/10 season when they scored 34 goals in their final ten Premier League games. Ghastly to watch it was.

As for winning the Champions League last season, superb tactical planning againt Barcelona twice and Bayern Munich was the reason, not "anti" football, whatever that is meant to mean.

I'll repeat; Arsenal fan in bitter blast at everyone shocker! :eek:

A billion should buy you Barca, not 'superb tactical planning'. Look its an argument that will go on and on, Enjoy your CL success, I don't think you'll win another one. At least Man City seem to have a bit of excitement about them, and I obviously don't support Man City. Its not even about the money or the argument of 'Is defensive football anti football?' In my opinion Chelsea have been successful, very successful, but in the most dull, uncaptivating (that's the word) way. That's my only gripe.....

A billion should buy you Barca, not 'superb tactical planning'. Look its an argument that will go on and on, Enjoy your CL success, I don't think you'll win another one. At least Man City seem to have a bit of excitement about them, and I obviously don't support Man City. Its not even about the money or the argument of 'Is defensive football ant football?' In my opinion Chelsea have been successful, very successful, but in the most dull, uncaptivating (that's the word) way. That's my only gripe.....

It's not my success, I don't support Chelsea.

Archived