The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

Warnock explained his decision by insisting the fee generate by Clayton’s sale would allow him to secure a higher standard of player to replace Clayton in the centre of midfield.

Warnock said: “I have to look at it and say I’ll be signing a player for £400,000 or £500,000 and I don’t feel Adam’s worth more than the player I’ll be signing.

That doesn't make me get that excited about the player we are bidding for.

Not offered him a new deal, transfer listed him, and a new £400k player would be worth more than giving Adam a new deal. :D

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rumours that Wednesday are after Heaton. If its true with Bywater and Weaver on the books already, I can only presume the latter is struggling to overcome his injury problems.

not seen much of weaver but heaton is about 20 times better than bywater. heaton is a top class championship keeper. there is nothing to split him and marshall, heaton just unlucky that malky prefers the scot. both top 6 championship keepers.

There's no way in hell Gunter would go to Swansea, surely. How much Rob?

wouldn't surprise me. He claims to be a cardiff fan but acts billy big bollocks every time he comes back for some strange reason. quite surprised the swans want him tbh, don't they wax lyrical about angel rangel?

That doesn't make me get that excited about the player we are bidding for.

Not offered him a new deal, transfer listed him, and a new £400k player would be worth more than giving Adam a new deal. :D

He's a good player. Can go missing but when he's at his best he's a quality, quality player at this level. Only young as well. Could be PL standard in a few years with a bit of luck. And NF is right, he was offered a new deal but we wouldn't give him what he wanted. Just like Beckford, Johnson, Kilkenny, Gradel...

I'd love it if Shorey came back, I really would. But I think he will go back to Reading.

He burnt all his bridges last time (except with his dad obv.) by looking like he was already at West Ham when we got relegated. To be fair the defence was falling apart around him and Hunt was awful in front of him, but I can't see him coming back. Bertrand, Sigurdsson, Doyle, and maybe Hahnemann (strictly as back up, allowing McCarthy and Andersen loans to Championship clubs) are the only former players we'll look to get back.

He's a good player. Can go missing but when he's at his best he's a quality, quality player at this level. Only young as well. Could be PL standard in a few years with a bit of luck. And NF is right, he was offered a new deal but we wouldn't give him what he wanted. Just like Beckford, Johnson, Kilkenny, Gradel...

I see, sounds good. :)

What sort of midfielder is he? Box to box, or a creative playmaker, or playing off/ behind the strikers?

I'd have thought Warnock would have wanted to keep hold of his better players, for a promotion/playoff push. Mind you, I guess he doesn't have the money to throw around on wages now, like he did at QPR.

not seen much of weaver but heaton is about 20 times better than bywater. heaton is a top class championship keeper. there is nothing to split him and marshall, heaton just unlucky that malky prefers the scot. both top 6 championship keepers.

Bywater has done well for us since he came in, but on occasions he's had so little to do we've nicknamed him 'Bystander'. Often goes on jogs to keep warm during games, and wouldn't be surprised if he broke out some press-ups. Also, he's completely mad which is entertaining during interviews.

I see, sounds good. :)

What sort of midfielder is he? Box to box, or a creative playmaker, or playing off/ behind the strikers?

I'd have thought Warnock would have wanted to keep hold of his better players, for a promotion/playoff push. Mind you, I guess he doesn't have the money to throw around on wages now, like he did at QPR.

He's a creative playmaker really. And yeah, but I think the logic is there are more important players than Clayton. Of our important players, he's the most dispensable. So, we sell him, save money on wages and (hopefully) get someone who can do a similar job for cheap.

Forgive me as I haven't followed the Championship for a couple of years but your transfer spend and wage bill must be obscene? Where have Leicester got all their money from, they seem to have signed a lot of players over the last couple of seasons?

Forgive me as I haven't followed the Championship for a couple of years but your transfer spend and wage bill must be obscene? Where have Leicester got all their money from, they seem to have signed a lot of players over the last couple of seasons?
We have wealthy Thai owners now :) Although, the difference between this summer and last summer is that in Nigel Pearson, we have someone who's thorough in his scouting of players, and doesn't throw money about willy nilly. Yes, £1.7M is a lot of money, but I trust Pearson 100% with his signings, as very rarely does it sign flops.

Last summer, we had Sven bringing in any old players who he'd happened to have caught a glimpse of on the Football League show once or twice, as well as a few of his buddies from his previous England stint, and plucking any old figure out the sky to get them.

as well as a few of his past buddies from his England stint, and plucking any old figure out the sky to get them.

Ha, I was looking through your squad list as I posted my question and saw Darius Vassell. I wondered where he'd gone, thought he'd retired, haven't heard of him in years :D

Ha, I was looking through your squad list as I posted my question and saw Darius Vassell. I wondered where he'd gone, thought he'd retired, haven't heard of him in years :D
He was actually decent in the games he played for us last season. Not a world beater, but good enough for this level and always put a shift in. He got injured though, and I can't really see him featuring much next season.

Was just glad to have gotten rid of Mandaric to be honest ;)

We're aware of his history but frankly without him we wouldn't have been promoted and we'd still be languishing in League One with no money and scrabbling around fro free transfers of Championship rejects. Don't think he'll be around for the long haul but he's given us stability and that was all we needed to start being successful again.

And say what you want about him being trigger happy, but his decision to sack Megson when we were 3rd in the league and replace him with Jones was genius.

We were just a laughing stock with him in charge (arguably still are to be fair) as we were getting a new manager every few months. Of course with a new manager, comes a whole new set of backroom staff, etc. The players didn't know whether they were coming or going, neither did the fans! It of course cost us our Championship status that season. Mandaric's redeeming factor was his appointment of Nigel Pearson that season, and we walked the league :cool:

Basically, when he took us over, he told all our fans how he'd have us competing in the Premier League within 4 years, blah blah blah, and he failed. Live moves on :thup:

We're aware of his history but frankly without him we wouldn't have been promoted and we'd still be languishing in League One with no money and scrabbling around fro free transfers of Championship rejects. Don't think he'll be around for the long haul but he's given us stability and that was all we needed to start being successful again.

And say what you want about him being trigger happy, but his decision to sack Megson when we were 3rd in the league and replace him with Jones was genius.

Without Milan we might not have been languishing anywhere. At best we would have been hit with admin and possibly heading for League Two.

There's no way in hell Gunter would go to Swansea, surely. How much Rob?

he gets booed by cardiff fans all the time so not a flippin clue why he'd feel any loyalty towards them. if they're offering him premiership football to boot i'd imagine he'd pay his own taxi fare there.

most are younger players? Steinsson, Reo-Coker, Sean Davis, Ricardo Gardiner,Paul Robsinson, Ivan Klasnic, Robbie Blake.

I think you are refering to the BBC article which says they have let 15 go, that included 3 loan players who they didnt own. Its mainly experienced professionals they have released.

Scott Laird not staying with Stevenage. He seems a good player on FM, but would he be good enough for a Championship side? Ronnie Henry's also been released and he's quite decent on FM too.

Him and Mousinho 99% going to Preston to be with Westley again.

From a guy usually pretty spot on with his City info:

- Dawson, Simpson and McLean not expected to be here next season

- Shortlist for new manager is complete, interviews this weekend, if Barmby appeal is unsuccessful, new manager will be appointed by next weekend.

- Leicester's bid for Stewart was £1.5mill.

- After 2 new strikers, and 2 new keepers

- Fryatt will be staying.

Boro's academy not done bad this season.

Ross Turnbull - Champions League winner, FA cup winner. Penalty saving superstar, saved 4 i think?

Stu Downing - 0 goals 0 assists but a League Cup winners medal.

Adam Johnson - Premier League Winner

\o/

Boro's academy not done bad this season.

Ross Turnbull - Champions League winner, FA cup winner. Penalty saving superstar, saved 4 i think?

Stu Downing - 0 goals 0 assists but a League Cup winners medal.

Adam Johnson - Premier League Winner

\o/

Less medals than Reading's academy :brock:

Archived