England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

wilshere and rodwell should definitely both be in there.

both have played in the premier league and both will be playing throughout the next season, we shouldn't be worrying about whether they are ready or not and just give them a chance. what is there to lose? more worrying is the inclusion of players that constantly let us down as brett mentioned.

zamora? he is 29 and not good enough for england as it is, what use will he be aged 33?

and it's disgusting that gareth barry is still there ahead of so many really. capello has such a hard on for him.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has he left some of the Spurs players out as they'll have the CL qualifier not long after so it's some kind of agreement with 'arry? Lennon was poor but I think we'll see him again at some point.

I'd have liked to have seen Rodwell in there, he was playing more and more towards the end of last season and looking better and better

Completely underwhelmed by that squad. No Crouch or J.Cole. And for all the eye-catching headlines of Wilshere and Gibbs, we'll end up with the same midfield as at the World Cup, which is our biggest problem tbh

And if Rodwell was an Arsenal player, he'd be in the team, just like Wilshere

Also, am I wrong to look at that squad and see nothing but a 4-4-2 being picked?

I think Germany are playing that League Cup thing they play before the season starts?

This is our 'traditional' starting time for our league, middle of August, been like that since before the days of the Premier League tbf. I know maybe Spain and Italy may not start their seasons yet but surely FIFA/UEFA are aware that some leagues will be starting now. How about just not scheduling a date for internationals on this date, it's not like we're the Azeri league, I mean, we're a 'proper' league so you'd think they'd take this into account, not asking them to change the rules for us but international dates before any major league is silly.

That said, Quals start in September ... when do they Italian and Spanish leagues start exactly? :D

august 29th

and it makes total sense to have a friendly date in august with qualifiers in september - as said above this date has been known for years, just start the league earlier or later. amusing that only roy hodgson seems to realise this of all the managers moaning

said he couldnt before cos he hadnt been picked :D

Stupid reasoning, what he means is no one would have taken notice before but now I am picked everyone will talk about me, me, ME!

Hasn't stopped other players retiring from international football when they're not included in squad. Heskey just did it, sure Scholes retired without being named in a squad the day before, basically Robinson is the only one doing it this way and being a tool.

Run along then we'll bring some other average keeper in, maybe a younger and average keeper as opposed to an older and average keeper

Kirkland? dunno if he's fit but he's better than Green. So is James still.

Kirkland has this problem with training regularly or something. They called him up before to check him out and he this special training plan which involves him being in the water and not doing any of that tricky running around stuff. I think the conclusion was if he can't train 'properly' then it'll be tricky to bring him into a squad for tournaments, etc. He's basically bubble boy, cannot be exposed to anything without something breaking or getting ill

Oh, and Paul Robinson :D

Whatever he thinks of Capello what he's done today is just rude and unprofessional. You don't want to play, fine, but at least have the courtesy to tell the powers that be that you don't want to be considered for selection even if you don't say anything about it publicly. Don't wait until you're named in a squad and then pull out of it in a paddy. What's his problem with being overlooked anyway? Not like he ever made a compelling case to be #1.

Are you sure anyone has even spoken to him over the last 6 months?

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he wasn't told he wasn't in the World Cup squad and wasn't told he was in this squad.

Don't really need to wait for a call from the Manager or contact from the FA to 'retire'. He just wanted a little spotlight so we can all say "should have taken him to the World Cup" (which I would have tbh). Was it Luke Young who randomly released a statement about retiring from England and everyone was 'eh, wtf'?

I bet he was "finally, they WANT me" this'll learn 'em!

Are you sure anyone has even spoken to him over the last 6 months?

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he wasn't told he wasn't in the World Cup squad and wasn't told he was in this squad.

I remember Nedum Onouha saying he had to tell Lescott that he's not in the WC squad, so it wouldn't surprise me if Robbo hadn't heard from Fabio or whoever.

That whole Carrick-Capello phone thing on the Wembley steps was bizarre. Really not sure what to think about that. Hope we don't go back to Green for a 3rd keeper. Not sure what the fuss is about Wilshire being called up either, he's going to play a part in the EC so get him in now, same with Rodwell. People shouldn't be comparing Wilshire and Rodwell and saying who deserves to be in the squad more, they both should be there. Barry inclusion is a joke.

The Carrick thing was ridiculous. Either Capello really does have so little contact with the clubs and players that he didn't even know Carrick was fit (which if this is the case then he simply isn't doing his job properly) or he made the whole "oh I didn't know you were injured" situation up on the spur of the moment to avoid an awkward face to face situation with the player (which if this is the case just shows himself up to be a pathetic weak man).

Either way he is an arsehole of epic proportions and should have been sacked a long time ago.

Manchester United defender Wes Brown, 30, has announced his retirement from international duty with England.

His announcement follows a similar one by Blackburn goalkeeper Paul Robinson earlier on Sunday.

Both were selected in the England squad to face Hungary on Wednesday, having missed out on this summer's World Cup.

But the Football Association confirmed Brown visited England's team hotel in Watford on sunday evening to inform manager Fabio Capello of his decision.

More follows.

The Carrick thing was ridiculous. Either Capello really does have so little contact with the clubs and players that he didn't even know Carrick was fit (which if this is the case then he simply isn't doing his job properly) or he made the whole "oh I didn't know you were injured" situation up on the spur of the moment to avoid an awkward face to face situation with the player (which if this is the case just shows himself up to be a pathetic weak man).

Either way he is an arsehole of epic proportions and should have been sacked a long time ago.

Seems to me Capello thought/was told that Carrick was injured. Obviously suprised to see him play and just asked him about it. Don't really see any problems with it.

I don't understand why everyone is having a pop at Capello for not talking to the players. He chooses the squad then officially announces it. Not sure what people want him to do?

Robinson been a bit of a nob really. The number 1 shirt is up for grabs more then ever. He's easily capable of staking a claim for it if he thinks he' good enough. Hart is favourite but he should have enough confidence to be able to fight it out for the number 1 spot now it seems James and Green are out.

Seems to me Capello thought/was told that Carrick was injured. Obviously suprised to see him play and just asked him about it. Don't really see any problems with it.

It's not a big deal or anything but it is abit amateur hour that they didn't check up on it, bet it won't happen again though.

I just realised Jamie Carra has retired again? was this common knowledge? think its discusting he just decided to turn up for the finals.

Why? He retired on the basis that he wasn't getting games, came back when there was a severe shortage of players to play in his position (RB or CB), and now that he isn't needed any more, doesn't want to travel around Europe to sit on a bench... Not unreasonable

I remember Nedum Onouha saying he had to tell Lescott that he's not in the WC squad, so it wouldn't surprise me if Robbo hadn't heard from Fabio or whoever.

Before the World Cup I think anyone passing him in the street could have told Lescott he wasn't in the squad :D

Archived