England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

I just realised Jamie Carra has retired again? was this common knowledge? think its discusting he just decided to turn up for the finals.

He didn't just rock up with his kit he was asked to come out of retirement due to hideous lack of cover and liking old players for 'experience' - I don't think anyone is sad to see him slip back into retirement

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He didn't just rock up with his kit he was asked to come out of retirement due to hideous lack of cover and liking old players for 'experience' - I don't think anyone is sad to see him slip back into retirement

if only he'd have picked Brown instead. Might still have one of them available now.

if only he'd have picked Brown instead. Might still have one of them available now.

Just what we were missing at the WC, an injury prone defender :thup:

Full respect to all those who have retired so far, all the correct decisions and easy to see why in all cases. If Paul Robinson can't get into a WC squad ahead of David James and Robert Green, then likely being behind Ben Foster in a current squad, i'd retire aswell

It's not a big deal or anything but it is abit amateur hour that they didn't check up on it, bet it won't happen again though.

Seems like they did check up on it and Capello was told he was injured. Everyone thought Carrick was injured. It was a major suprise to see him play yesterday. I really can't see what Capello has done which is amateur here?

Robinson clearly doesn't rate himself if he thinks he can't get ahead of Foster or Hart.

He obviously really annoyed he never got picked for the WC, and still is. But Green, James and Hart getting picked over Robinson hardly the most outrageous choice ever made. James is probably better then Robinson, Hart is young and went for the experience. There isn't much between him and Green, Green got the nod because he'd played well under Capello.

True but Brown was coming back from injury and always seems to be injured recently anyway so I don't think not being available for England is the end of the world, 32 at next tournament if he stays injury free

Don't really see what all the fuss is about. Heskey retired and everyone cheered.

Robinson and Brown aren't good enough anyway so its no great loss to the national side - just a bit embarrassing for the FA as they have been snubbed by bad players!

I don't think anyone is bothered about them retiring but just Robinson waiting until the squad is announced and then claiming "I didn't have a chance before cause no one picked me" whereas Heskey stepped aside without being named in a squad. Just silly

Surely he just wants to retire and not bother about whether people are laughing at him. When he wasn't in the World Cup squad he could have made an announcement, no drama and no one would have thought it was odd. Doesn't really matter the timing of it ... except when you're picked and then you say 'erm, no ... I was thinking' really.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/england/7933167/Kevin-Garside-Wes-Brown-and-Paul-Robinson-walk-out-of-Fabio-Capellos-England.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3086866/Ashley-Cole-I-didnt-snub-Fabio-Capello.html

Everyone seen the supposed Ashley Cole 'snub' to Capello (!) Didn't see it but apparently he slipped up the stairs so simply missed Capello standing there ... or so he says!!

Luke Young retired when he hadn't played in ages. He did get laughed at though

With Bent injured I wonder who'll play up front. Really want to see Rooney with Gerrard. Can't say I'm that excited about potentially seeing Zamora/Cole with Rooney. Though I do really rate Carlton Cole, would like to se him be a regular in the squad and he is only 26.

Don't really see what all the fuss is about. Heskey retired and everyone cheered.

Bit different tbh, Heskey resigned with some dignity and showed a bit of respect for the FA and the England set up generally. Didn't wait until he'd been called up and then publicly throw his toys out of the pram, undermine the manager and embarrass the rest of the squad.

So what do you guys think will be the starting line-up and what you hope will be the starting line-up(we all know they're going to be different) v Hungary? I reckon:

Will:

Hart

G. Johnson - Terry - Jagielka - A. Cole

Walcott - Barry - Lampard - Gerrard

Rooney - Cole

Hope:

Hart

G. Johnson - Dawson - Jags - Gibbs

Young - Wilshere - Milner - Lampard - Johnson

Rooney

Might as well blood some guys who haven't played before as it's a friendly. Couldn't decide on what midfield I'd like though. Definitely want Wilshere and Johnson to start.

I am not sure Wilshire/Gibbs will get on the pitch at all, I read Capello say something like "I will use my experienced players ... I am still learning what went wrong" or something to that effect which means these youngsters get called up here and then drop out for the Quals and we just replace the likes of James in goal (or maybe not now) and SWP, etc

I think I'd rather play one up front, Bent's defo injured?

I am not sure Wilshire/Gibbs will get on the pitch at all, I read Capello say something like "I will use my experienced players ... I am still learning what went wrong" or something to that effect which means these youngsters get called up here and then drop out for the Quals and we just replace the likes of James in goal (or maybe not now) and SWP, etc

I think I'd rather play one up front, Bent's defo injured?

Bent has pulled out, I think Rooney and Zamora just for half hour with England being told to keep it on the floor, and with Rooney playing behind Zamora could work. Possibly not all that well, but it might be worth a shot.

Yeah, today's Mirror seems convinced it will be a Rooney-Zamora strike partnership, at least assuming neither of them retire from international duty before tomorrow night.

Hoping Gibbs and Wilshere get on 2nd half, no point having them in the squad otherwise.

I wouldn't be too fussed if Gibbs or Wilshere play or not. Capello just wants to have a look at them. I don't really view there call ups as permanant, a good chance one or both will be back in the U21's next month.

SSN are now saying Zamora favourite too start with Roney. Can't say I'm that excited about it.

By the sounds of it. But Capello can be quite hard to predict. I hope not, becaue Rooney wont play the full 90, that means we could have to watch 30 mins of Carlton Cole and Bobby Zamora up front.

I wonder where Wilshere would play if he features. Especially if we are playing a 442

I'm hoping Capello has the guts to ditch 4-4-2 tbh. Surely it's plainly obvious that with the players in this squad, something with 2 wing backs might be better. Perhaps a 5 (2 wing backs), 3 - 1 - 1.

With Rooney playing behind a central striker, and playing three central midfielders (Wilshere, Johnson and Barry maybe? Not sure.)

I'd give Cole and Johnson a go as wingbacks sure. Both good going forward, great engines on them. Gibbs and Baines can fill in as wingbacks too on the left if needed. Ironically, the rightside is the problem side with few alternatives to Johnson.

Capello has said that the players at the WC will start the match because they deserve to take their share of the boos. So:

Hart

Johnson - Terry - Dawson - Cole

Milner - Lampard - Barry - Gerrard

Rooney

+ 1 who wasn't at the WC.

I know FM is far from real life, but I had the England job for the first time since FM06 I think. Back in 06, I got it after a few seasons and it was awesome, plenty of talent to pick from- iirc I won the Euro's.

Ermm now to FM2010, preparing for the 2014 WC and it's depressing, my star defender is Steven Taylor. I'm relying on an old Gerrard.

I know it's FM, but still a worrying glimpse into the future (I rejected the Spain job, WHY!?)

He has to pick someone now. Obviouly it wont be Robinson. He went out of his way not select Green and James so don't think he'll want to turn to them. I wouldn't mind calling up Declan Rudd, a bit ala Joe Lewis a few years back. He did well for the U19's, and probably our best prospect at that level. Only for one game, he can set on the bench. I really can't see who else we could call, is Kirkland fit?

I remember when I first really started watching football (euro 96), we had GK's like Flowers, Seaman, Martyn, Walker, James all around, many of them at top clubs.

Let alone the strikers- Shearer, Sheringham, Fowler, Wright, Cole, Collymore, Sutton, Dublin etc etc etc

More than ever I really feel we need a cap on the number of foreign players here.

As much as Green messed up, I do think it's very harsh hows he's been treated. We're hardly blessed with GK's, Capello should have called him up once Robbo got injured.

Surely can't have gone from no1 to not good enough for the squad after one mistake- despite how bad it was. If we had an abundance of GK's I wouldn't care- but we don't.

Additional keepers probably carrying training balls back and forth, not even Kirkland?

Jeez, we have some list of keepers that have let us down, eh :D Green maybe escaping the boos but just poor keeping, not appalling performance a la the rest of them.

They've really built up this 'we deserve to be booed' thing, before they went on about it was anyone gonna even boo? They bloody are now as they won't shut up about booing

Additional keepers probably carrying training balls back and forth, not even Kirkland?

Kirkland carrying anything would likely put his back out.

Strange that he's never got a look in, or been mentioned in the media, about being called up. I know in the early days Capello did want to call him up but we asked if one of our keeping coaches could go with him - observe and advise only, not join the England coaching staff - and told them he's only capable of doing one training session per day, not two as Capello likes.

Seems that little incident was the end of his chance under Capello

Archived