England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd have been surprised if Hodge started Rooney against Norway anyway and I'd imagine the media would have come down on him if he did so it's win-win. United fans were saying he looked a bit dodgy these last few weeks, maybe it was the toe thing.

I think no one has a clue how Hodgson will line up. I think everyone is assuming Gerrard in the 'free role' behind the striker basically cause he's been pretty hopeless everywhere else and a liability. What happens when Rooney comes back to slot into that position though, where does Gerrard go? Back to *gulp* midfield?

Good point. Gerrard it is.

He might play Rooney up in front of Gerrard. Young on the left and Walcott on the right. Very fluid.

Wasn't even on the standby list. Ridiculous that we picked a 23 straightaway, rather than a provisional squad of 30. Now we are just pulling in whoever's available because some of the people we could have had will have cleared off on holiday.

Personally I don't think he's England class yet, but he's good. Solid defensively and runs up and down the flank like a man possessed, but can be a bit rubbish in forward areas. Can't cross and hasn't got much of a passing range. I guess thats what you get from a former youth centre back though. He's a bit like Chris Smalling at right back basically, only he looks less out of place.

Personally I don't think he's England class yet, but he's good. Solid defensively and runs up and down the flank like a man possessed, but can be a bit rubbish in forward areas. Can't cross and hasn't got much of a passing range.

Sounds like England class to me :(

Would've been hilarious to start with Crouch and Carroll up top, two orthodox wingers and everyone else just giving the ball some welly! God forbid anybody look at what we have at our disposal and build a formation on those premises. Want to see some big up n' unders from back to front come the weekend and lots of 'av summa thaaaaaaat' from the midfield. Wallop!

@Skybluedave, jokes aside, we have a few players who will be held back by our lack of tactical innovation. Carrick is one of them. Whenever pundits talk of Michael Carrick, the first thing they volunteer in his appraisal, is his inability to tackle. We begin our assessment from the defensive perspective immediately, dare we dream of having possession of the ball. Blood and thunder is the stereotype of the English game and thats what we want, blood stained bandages, walking woundeds. Carrick is a passer, a continental type of midfielder, not in the same class of Pirlo and Alonso, but of the same mould. Should injury leave Tom Huddlestone be, rest assured he'll be the next quarterback riding the pine because no one knows how to integrate his passing ability and passive aggressive approach to tackling, into a formation. Carrick should've gone to the Euros and in truth, theres good reason to believe he should be starting.

Wasn't even on the standby list. Ridiculous that we picked a 23 straightaway, rather than a provisional squad of 30. Now we are just pulling in whoever's available because some of the people we could have had will have cleared off on holiday.

I guess we wasted so much time in appointing a Manager it's better to pick the 23 and 'get on with it' rather than further fudge about.

I assume the Kelly thing is firstly to not give Richards false hope (:p) and also something up with Glen Johnson or Johnson won't play a full 90? Isn't that what Jones is there for then?

Seems odd

I'd take Adam Johnson all day long over the likes of Downing, for starters.

Gerrard is very worrying to me for some time now but I think I am the only one concerned, the media haven't said a word so I guess we'll have to wait until he's hopeless against France and we lose or something for someone to say 'hang on, Gerrard doesn't look his best, does he'

Live streaming of the England training session on www.thefa.com this morning, think it starts at 10.30

Apparently they had a first team lined up in training yesterday as follows:

Carroll
Young        Gerrard        Walcott
        Parker   Lampard
Cole     Terry    Cahill    Johnson
             Hart

So most likely that lineup to start against Norway.

Just don't see how Carroll is starting. Little purple patch at the end of the season shouldn't change much. Like how we are playing a Liverpool front 2. :(

Hit form at right time and has been good for England so far, and lets just say better than the other strikers available, still baffled at the squad selection in terms of the number/quality of strikers taken.

Why is Richards not selected? Beginning to wonder if there is an FA agenda or something, madness how he's not here.

He refused to go on the standby list from what I read so Roy not picking him.

Crouch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Carroll.

Had to be Johnson that got injured didn't it? The one area of the squad we have no depth at all.

I'd be more worried if Joe Hart got injured and Rob Green had to play.

I don't believe Richards would have refused the standby list. Why would he, when there was always the chance Johnson or Jones would get injured.

You only have to look at some of the stuff he has put on Twitter about England in the past, he is desperate to be involved.

This isn't like a Carrick scenario, Richards is still at the beginning of his career, relatively speaking.

Well we've been 'preparing without him' for the last 3 games. Don't see why he can't train, and at least be on the bench. Unless he is injured.

This is the first time under Roy's management though....

Also brett says he hurt his toe apparently, bloody toe injuries, prefer him not playing in these games anyway unless as a sub.

Archived