Where do you put this World Cup so far?

Rebs

What World Cup has had the best football/matches?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What World Cup has had the best football/matches?

1994 was the first World Cup I watched properly and it still remains my favourite. It just seems to have so many great memories of all sorts.

Same for me really. Strange as well because England weren't there but maybe that's why it was more enjoyable! :D 1994 was all about Roberto Baggio for me. What an amazing player!

I was too young to really remember World Cup 1990 but I do remember watching the England matches. I can't really judge the tournament as a whole though.

My list would go something like this, I think:

2010 & 2006 on a par probably

I've been disappointed with the quality in this tournament, although the upsets have been great and it has been entertaining overall so far.

I thought the 1982 World Cup had some fantastic matches. Like Germany-France and Italy-Brazil. So I put them #1. I'd put 1998, 2006, & 1994 up there with them.

The worst by far in recent memory was the 2002 World Cup.

2010 - Watched all of it

2006 - Watched most of it

2002 - Watched some of it

So yeah I am pretty biased because of how much of the three I have watched. But I have loved this World Cup none the less

Does anyone else feel like the ball has spoilt this World Cup a little bit?

I've lost track of the number of times that a player has spooned it over the bar or powered it high and wide, whereas normally you would expect them to hit the target or at least send it narrowly off target.

It also seems to me that there haven't been as many beautiful goals in this tournament as in past World Cups.

The first round of group games were pretty weak and I was a little worried, but since then it's picked up and the knockouts have been especially good.

I'd say it's easily the best since 1998 right now. But SFs and finals go a long way to making a WC.

I've lost track of the number of times that a player has spooned it over the bar or powered it high and wide, whereas normally you would expect them to hit the target or at least send it narrowly off target.

It also seems to me that there haven't been as many beautiful goals in this tournament as in past World Cups.

Yeh it has spoiled some of it but not completely by any means. there's been some great goals.

Yeah, I agree. Whether it's a bad ball or not I'm not sure, but what is for certain is that the players haven't got used to it at all. Hardly been any goals from outside the box.

Yeah, he's certainly been able to do whatever the hell he wanted with the ball. Some of his free kicks last night were incredible, drilling the ball into the box into a low arc like nobody else has been able to do. Only Honda and Endo for Japan have been close in that regards, I'd suggest.

1998 - first world cup i really watched a lot of. great world cup all around. argentina - england such a classic :cool:

1994 - classic. first world cup i remember. remember bebeto celebrating his baby and a brazilian player tearing off another players kit. baggio missing penalty. sweden take bronze.

2002 - good for asian football but slightly ruined by all the controversy.

2006 - good but nothing extraordinary.

2010 has been good too. but the remaining games could decide it all

98' was absolute class, from Croatia's surprising run, to how good some of the individual players were like Ronaldo, to France shocking Brazil in the final, to actually getting to see Scotland play (and ofc get pumped by Morocco).

2010 had a very slow start but has picked up and turned into a great tournament with some shock eliminations such as South America's "big two" going out before the Semi's and the former World Champions Italy and France both going out in the groups.

2002 was alright, mainly despised it because to see some of the games live I had to be up pretty early for it :(. Not a great display of football but the Asian fans were ace. Most memorable thing was probably the shambolic and biased refereeing decisions in some of South Korea's games unfortunately (mainly thinking of the Spain game here).

2006 probably on par with 02 though a lot of the matches were absolutely dull to watch and thought it was unfortunate that the final moments of Zidane's playing career involved him headbutting another player and being sent off after practically taking all coaching responsibilities off of that tool Domenech and willing his team to the final.

The drama, controversy and Germany's world class display makes it the best WC since the 98 one, at least for me. @Micado how can you call Germany vs Spain or Uruguay vs Holand boring? And i agree about vuvuzelas, I actually believe that everyone using one in public should be taken to a stadium and shot(Along with non-US people calling the game soccer instead of football)

The drama, controversy and Germany's world class display makes it the best WC since the 98 one, at least for me. @Micado how can you call Germany vs Spain or Uruguay vs Holand boring? And i agree about vuvuzelas, I actually believe that everyone using one in public should be taken to a stadium and shot(Along with non-US people calling the game soccer instead of football)

I believe Micado is trying to say that IF the semis and final are boring it won't be remembered as a good world cup, rather than saying that they WILL be boring.

98' was just magical to me. Not only because of Croatia's great run, but the whole feeling was amazing. Great games, great atmosphere on the stadiums, great players at their peak, the music, WC98 computer games ... It was in France. Enough said.

As for the next WC, I really expect a lot from Brazil and TBH have a great fealing about it. When you count all the factors, it's very likely going to be an amazing WC :thup:

(just don't use vuvuzelas or however do you call it there, please).

From the ones I watched live, though 1978 is sketchy. Though I have seen many matches from previous World Cups, I won´t include them here.

1 - 1982

2 - 2002

3 - 1986

4 - 1998

5 - 1994

6 - 2006

7 - 1978

Won´t really judge 2010 until after the final match.

others

[/predictable]

In all seriousness, I didn't watch 1994 due to the time difference and I was "off" the wider world of football in 1998 and 2002- didn't care if it wasn't Reading. 1990 was a bit magic because I was so young, so I sort of overrate it.

IMO- but all three were very good. I doubt I'd have enjoyed 1994, 1998 or 2002 as much even if I had enjoyed football at the time from what I've read of them.

Archived