Patch 10.3 - Official feedback thread - Keep it here please

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thoughts.

Credit to PaulC, he's somehow managed to turn the complete and utter mess that was 10.2 match engine into something that resembles the game of football. There are issues still though. Defending is still too loose with too much focus on one on one match up rather than concentrated pressure which still results in through balls being too effective. Strikers are now quite confident when through on goal - but I feel there's too little individuality in their finishing ability. Players with good technique and finishing skill don't feel too different to ones that look mediocre by their attributes. There are still too many penalty kicks being awarded on lower level leagues. On the whole I still feel 9.3.0(1) is the more solid ME, but 10.3 has a fluidity to it the former somewhat lacked. Overall I'm quite happy with it so far.

But.

Who exactly was it that felt the injury code needed massive tinkering with yet again? I'd really like to express severe resentment towards that person. Were the forums littered with threads asking for an increase in the number of injuries or their severity? No? Didn't think so. So why would you decide to make major changes in this regard? I understand you're aiming for realistic numbers but it's never been balanced enough to avoid extremities that ruin the game for many people. Seriously, the majority of players do not enjoy having all their star players on long term injuries all the time. The approach towards this part of the game should always follow the question - "are there are too many injuries?" Instead of the whether there are enough.

That's it for now.

i completed season 2009/2010 with liverpool. it is July 1st, 2010 and i got a premier division registration window that says i am now allowed to register new player for the Premier Division and only 25 player can be registered.

is this serious?

will there be a registration limit quota form premier league too for season 2010/2011 just like for CL? or is this just a bug?

could you help me? thanx

i completed season 2009/2010 with liverpool. it is July 1st, 2010 and i got a premier division registration window that says i am now allowed to register new player for the Premier Division and only 25 player can be registered.

is this serious?

will there be a registration limit quota form premier league too for season 2010/2011 just like for CL? or is this just a bug?

could you help me? thanx

Yes it is serious, will be introduced in the Premiership from 2010/11 onwards. :thup:

I posted this in another thread, so I assume it was the wrong place (sorry, new here) but I downloaded my copy of FM 10 off the Game's website - without a disc, and without Steam (at least I can't find it) meaning that when I install the patch manually it then asks me for a disc at the main menu, and it won't update automatically, so what can I do?

Thanks

Well, this patch is a disappointment. First of all, the match engine is worse now, atleast the defenders. Most of the them is completely worthless its like they have no brain, or not just use it and it just so annoying. Second of all, whats the deal with all the red cards(with tackle on normal) and injures? And why does my team get like five penalties against me on the first three games? The game was far from perfect in the 10.2 patch, but the 10.3 patch ruined it. Thanks a lot SI, good job.

I will have to wait until I new patch comes out(I doubt that there even will be one), or when FM11 releases. Maybe reinstall and just install 10.2.

I have to agree about the defenders. I'm running a save in my 4th season as Huddersfield. Got them from League 1 to the Premiership and am now in my 2nd season in the top flight. My three main central cefenders who were all playing at a constant 6.9-7.7 almost every game have gone to playing 5.6- 6.0 at best in every game. All that changed was my installing the 10.3 patch so there is no way "it's my tactics." unless some major basic functions within the match engine have changed without us being told about it. I've tried all variations of defensive set up up but no matter what these guys a quite simply brain dead now.

Also how come all my midfielders have lost the gift of sight.... Or at least that portion of it that allows them to differentiate between my team's kit and the opposition? Must be something like this because nothing else would explain why overnight they've gone from 75% pass completetion to gifting the ball straight to the opposition nearly every other pass...... Either that or it's something to do with the patch.

I have to say after spending a very frustrating couple of days with 10.3 that I'm going to go back to 10.2.

Sorry. I don't usually rant on forums but this one has really got my back up. I'm sure I'll be in a better mood tomorrow!

after testing the new patch i found out ..

i was reading the forum for some time after the patch went out and look how people reaply to what others say here, and i was sure maybe realy the patch isnt that bad after all..

i play FM for many years, i can fairly say i know how to make from basic tactic to more deep one.

i normaly play with udinese in italy and some times with lyon.

the game take a big step in this patch to more use shout system and be what call less lazy to realy win hard games. its also punch you in the face when you dont find how to read the game well (no one realy can understand fully when 90 min pass in 5 key moments)

the patch make your striker's very but very if not the most stupid people on earth, they will NEVER score, and if they do you realy have a lucky day!, the only way to make them use the speed they got is if you play counter.. if not even my dog can take care of them.

you cant play 442.

the game stuck in the center of the pitch, and not becouse you dont play with the best wingers, this is becouse if you play attack and the wingers run deep the full back run after them, then when they see the CM or FB cant pass they just stay there.

in FM AI FB dont take risk, they never give up MAN marking so the chance you will see nice passes from CM to wings are close to zero

only a FB can pass to a winger and this if he set to play long ball. a mess in other words.

so no wonder most people dont tuch 442, the game have a system to make it look boring not real..and push you to play very back to make it work.

i realy wonder if SI even test to new patch on big clubs that play in EU cups.

the game not balance at all, if you play 3 games a week and the only way to win the game is if your players as the right fitnes, more injury

will force you play with the same tired players, now how can it be balance?

i dont think chelsea in IRL need or must play with sturridge for helf a season, just becouse 1 striker out for 4 months and 1 to tired to play the next game.. (i dont use the traning system so its stay normal)

the patch got nice things for small teams that enjoy winning MU some times, but in my eyes the very very messy patch. i skip the game, will only try if some new patch will come around one day. good luck!

i am not native english speaker so i hope you understand :)

Match engine has improved in my opinion. But the number of training injuries is staggering. Certainly the most since the series became FM. I'd understand if I was doing some higher intensity work, but for standard training it's far too high.

I agree with Amit leipold. 442 can no longer be used. And I, too, am forced to skip playing until a new patch or 2011 comes out. I have to say that I really enjoyed the game until 10.3 and am glad I bought the game. But 10.3 killed it for me. It feels like my game got a nasty virus. And because I bought the game through Steam I can't reload the game and play using 10.2. I'm forced to play 10.3. It's like bringing your car in for a tune up and they blow up the engine. It's like bringing your dog in for a check up and they put it to sleep. It's like....oh, you get the picture. :mad:

It took me a few days to decide on updating to patch 10.3, because I was happy with 10.1 (with the exception of some annoying issues in the tackling department); so I was reluctant to change, unless for a much improved package. Having seen a lot of posts around the forum reporting issues and more bugs, I was apprehensive about patching.

Anyway, I decided to give it a try, and having played ten games now on the new patch, I wanted to offer some feedback.

This patch is utterly atrocious. So unbelievably poor, I cannot even begin to comprehend it.

No, not really. ;)

I just didn't want to feel left out. :)

Actually, 10.3 is a very good patch.

Some general observations on my experiences:

- Defending/Tackling:

A huge improvement. How joyous to see in my first game, my centre back credited with 5 important tackles. All round, I find the defensive positioning much better, and the way my defenders now actually read the game, borders upon reality.

My Ball Winning Defensive Midfielder's performances on the new patch have also greatly improved.

Very pleased indeed with the improvements made on defending/tackling. The key area for me in whether I'd stick with 10.1 or not.

- Wingers/wide play/crossing:

A crucial area for me, as quality wing play is essential to my game. I'd read a few accounts around the forum of some issues in this area, so I was concerned that would affect my game. I did find initially that the reports of wingers only crossing to the other winger and bypassing the forwards are accurate, and that was not good.

But I read of a workaround (sorry that I don't have time to find the link, but credit to the poster who discovered it), and I am very happy to confirm that the work around works. The issue is with the "Winger" role. Simply change the role of your winger to "Wide Midfielder". You can still change his actual settings back to "hug line", "run with ball often" etc, and other winger related functions, you just need him to be under the "Wide Midfielder" role instead of "Winger", and crossing works perfectly well, and follows your crossing instructions as normal.

- Strikers/Forwards:

In short, my forward play on 10.3 is the most fluent and realistic it has been for a long time. Real quality movement and reading of the game, some great partnerships and understandings developing between my players, and the finishing is excellent.

- Passing:

Vast improvements in the realism, not only of the passing itself, but also the movement and positioning necessary to put together spells of quality possession. The range of passing, and some of the through balls are superb.

- "Super Keepers": (from 10.2)

I'm pleased to find that they've ditched their magic flying capes, in favour of the regulation issue Goalkeepers gloves. :)

They're realistic now, better than on 10.1, but not "super human".

- "Corner Bug":

In my very first game, it was the first goal I scored. Not set up to intentionally exploit it, as I always have a player attacking both posts at corners, but I was pleased to find that in ten games, it's only happened twice, despite my having a player in a position that could take advantage; and one of those times, the shot was cleared off the line. So, in other words, it's pretty much like the normal chances of scoring from a corner to the near post.

- Flashing Goal box (commentary):

I've seen some people unfortunately finding that it is not working properly for them, but I'm pleased to note that this has not once been an issue for me, so it can't be a universal problem.

- Future Transfers and Transfer History cancelled?

I was worried about this, having read that it's affected a lot of people, but I'm relieved to report that this issue has not been the case in my experience. History is all intact, and my future transfer is still there, all set up and ready to arrive in the January window.

- Injuries:

My first game saw us collect two minor knocks, and then for the next three games, at least one player per game was picking up a knock. Just as I was beginning to think it may be programmed that way, things began to calm down. Three games in a row without knock or injury followed, so that was good enough to allay my concerns.

Over the course of my first ten games, I've had six knocks in matches, one resulting in minor injury (out for a week); plus a concussion and one strain in training. The longest injury was two weeks. So I'd have to say I've experienced nothing out of the ordinary.

One thing I seem to be finding though, is that it is much more unlikely for a player carrying a knock to return to a good condition during the match, than it was on 10.1. Hopefully I've just been unfortunate in that regard so far.

- Ratings:

A most welcome improvement.

On the surface it may seem like a small thing, but it really does make a big difference to my enjoyment of the game. No longer is it necessary for a player to score or assist, in order to receive a good rating. He now only has to play his own role to the best of his ability, in order to be rated highly for his contribution to the team. It is great to see my Defensive Midfielder getting an 8.5 just for doing what he does best, and likewise for my Defenders. So much more realistic!

Very impressed.

- General:

The Match Engine on the whole, feels much slicker and smoother, with noticeably less lag on my trusty old single core machine; and also seems to produce a much more flowing and realistic brand of football, which is a very good thing when you watch all your games in Full Match mode.

The game in general is running much better, faster, and with much more responsiveness; using noticeably less system resources. There is a drastic reduction in memory usage.

All in all, whilst I have encountered a few random minor glitches (mostly when switching between TV View and Tactics with the game paused); I have to say that patch 10.3 is the most enjoyable version I've played in a long time.

For the first time since FM2007, Football Manager has that coveted "Immersion Factor" back for me.

Credit where it's due, well done SI; and thanks for a very enjoyable game. :thup:

I agree with Amit leipold. 442 can no longer be used. And I, too, am forced to skip playing until a new patch or 2011 comes out. I have to say that I really enjoyed the game until 10.3 and am glad I bought the game. But 10.3 killed it for me. It feels like my game got a nasty virus. And because I bought the game through Steam I can't reload the game and play using 10.2. I'm forced to play 10.3. It's like bringing your car in for a tune up and they blow up the engine. It's like bringing your dog in for a check up and they put it to sleep. It's like....oh, you get the picture. :mad:

I'm doing well with 442, to say no one can have any success with 442 because of the patch just isn't true.

Having issues with the stadium backgrounds. This is what the Bernabeu looks like post patch :(

newlookbernabeuresize.jpg

I've checked preferences and all graphics are turned on. Never had this issue prior to the patch. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

After playing the game half a season on full (watching games), I must say that game is now playable!

But there are still some issues that makes the game not perfect, like corner bug, low amount of cards and lots of injuries.

Having issues with the stadium backgrounds. This is what the Bernabeu looks like post patch :(

newlookbernabeuresize.jpg

I've checked preferences and all graphics are turned on. Never had this issue prior to the patch. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Do you have show stadium on?

I've just started a career game on 10.3 with Belgian amature club Bield. Now throughout pre-season we had some good games and some bad games - we won once in the cup and then were knocked out, no problem there as the squad I have is pretty poor! My problems started in the first league game of the year when 3 of my players ( two CBs and a DM) were forced off through injuries. I was hoping for just a couple of weeks lay off but but was shocked to read they would be out for a combined 13 MONTHS!!!! This is crazy - no cards were shown during the game and the commentary didn't say they were even bad tackles :(

I've saved the game before and after the game so I'm gonna play the match again and see if the same thing happens ...... and if it does then FM will be going in the bin!

It makes me laugh how many people come complaining here like little kids when their tactic that worked in 10.2 doesn't work as good anymore in patch 10.3.

Do some adapting to it for ****s sake! They have made quite some changes to the match engine (which were needed) so how can you expect that every tactic will work the same after the patch?

And I dont have many injuries or cards to be honest. Just make your training schedules not too hard and rotate your players enough. Or call them back from stupid international friendly matches.

When you are managing a small team, it is very hard to not use most of the same players most games, injuries are an irritant, I now have 6 players out and am a few weeks into the start of the season. Most of the shots that the players make are outside the box. Does that happen to others? do I need to amend each players settings?

It makes me laugh how many people come complaining here like little kids when their tactic that worked in 10.2 doesn't work as good anymore in patch 10.3.

Do some adapting to it for ****s sake! They have made quite some changes to the match engine (which were needed) so how can you expect that every tactic will work the same after the patch?

And I dont have many injuries or cards to be honest. Just make your training schedules not too hard and rotate your players enough. Or call them back from stupid international friendly matches.

people complaining for a reason.

if i play FM befor even the 2d was out, i shold be able to creat a basic tactic that will work, and lts say i am just normal guy and dont know a thing about the game and only use the default setting to creat my tactic (one reason why they made tactic creator), i still shold get a friendly start and the idia of the game. this i think the differnt in the new patch, he make them look very silly and insted of understand the game you just want to turn hem off.

I know this has probably been asked and answered but is there going to be fix relating to the corner exploit, i dont have the will power to stop using it?

There won't be another patch released for the 'lurk outside area' corner bug, no.

Do some adapting to it for ****s sake! They have made quite some changes to the match engine (which were needed) so how can you expect that every tactic will work the same after the patch?QUOTE]

I'm not a tactical genius like you obviously are. I'm probably the type of player for whom the tactic creator was made. And I spent a lot of time getting my tactics to work, only to have the rug pulled out from under me with patch 10.3. Now I have to invest a whole lot of time finding another tactic that works. I think that gives me a legitimate complaint. I bought a product that I liked and then that product was changed by SI making my gaming experience difficult. I'm not complaining "like little kids". I'm pointing out to SI why I have a problem with their update so perhaps they can do things differently in the future. I expect to have a steep learning curve when I buy a NEW game, NOT when I'm years into games that I'm already enjoying.

And I spent a lot of time getting my tactics to work, only to have the rug pulled out from under me with patch 10.3. Now I have to invest a whole lot of time finding another tactic that works. I think that gives me a legitimate complaint.
It's funny to read that the player of the game with essential tactical component doesn't like to play how it was really intended.

The game is called "Football Manager". Your very goal is to find the right tactic - and not to win every single game using the pre-set formations.

It's funny to read that the player of the game with essential tactical component doesn't like to play how it was really intended.

The game is called "Football Manager". Your very goal is to find the right tactic - and not to win every single game using the pre-set formations.

I think thats what half the complaints are about, people want to be able to use one tactic the whole time and do no tweaking during a match to win. Thats not real life

Nothing wrong with using one tactic. Everybody here knows who Barcelona, MAdrid, Inter, Chelsea, ManUnited play. You adapt your tactic to the team, not to the ME. I find it hard to play with Hamburger SV because nobody plays defense. Defense is terrible, so i must play with Benjamin or Rincon instead of playing a midfield or Roberto, Jarolim, Elia and Trochowski with Ruud and Petric up front.

In this game you really need a very good DM to win back the ball otherwise u might get runover

I have 9 of my starting 11 injured. They are just getting injured left, right and center. These aren't injuries im picking up in the last few moments of a game when they are knackered... but when they are coming off the bench and are at 99% conditioned.

Injuries are over excessive and ridiculous. I'm averaging almost and injury a game.

Nothing wrong with using one tactic. Everybody here knows who Barcelona, MAdrid, Inter, Chelsea, ManUnited play. You adapt your tactic to the team, not to the ME. I find it hard to play with Hamburger SV because nobody plays defense. Defense is terrible, so i must play with Benjamin or Rincon instead of playing a midfield or Roberto, Jarolim, Elia and Trochowski with Ruud and Petric up front.

In this game you really need a very good DM to win back the ball otherwise u might get runover

They might line up the same but the tactical instruction do vary from team to team that they play

I have had enough. Too many times have I payed for my favorite game only to be let down by the insane amount of bugs, an increasingly annoying ME (which for some reason continues to be bugged worse than ever before with each "new" game out) and continueing trend of adding worthless and annoying functions so the game can be sold as a "new" game every year, when it in fact is the same game.

The major issue for me is the ME being a big letdown every year and only really playable after 2-3 patches (by spring/half a year after release). It's not good enough. I won't be running out and buying another game at release, before I have checked the forums here.

As for the worthless and annoying functions. Most other games went away from tedious micromanaging in the 00s, but FM seems to go the other way and even REQUIRES the use of micromanaging to get the best out of the game. Touchline shouts.. wtf is this ****? I think most coaches tell their players how to play before a game, but in FM you have to do this during the game, every time you play a game? Add these options on the tactics screen so I dont have to put for example "retain possession" and "overlap" up every freakin time... Opposition instructions? teamtalks? Well I can live with those aslong as I have an assistant who does them for me, and I'm not required to do them. Anyway it doesn't add anything for me.. it subtracts from my enjoyment.

This last patch 10.3 is another fail in a series of fails. Fixing some issues and introducing a whole range of new (or old) problems. I think the ME is a total fail.

I have had enough. Too many times have I payed for my favorite game only to be let down by the insane amount of bugs, an increasingly annoying ME (which for some reason continues to be bugged worse than ever before with each "new" game out) and continueing trend of adding worthless and annoying functions so the game can be sold as a "new" game every year, when it in fact is the same game.

The major issue for me is the ME being a big letdown every year and only really playable after 2-3 patches (by spring/half a year after release). It's not good enough. I won't be running out and buying another game at release, before I have checked the forums here.

As for the worthless and annoying functions. Most other games went away from tedious micromanaging in the 00s, but FM seems to go the other way and even REQUIRES the use of micromanaging to get the best out of the game. Touchline shouts.. wtf is this ****? I think most coaches tell their players how to play before a game, but in FM you have to do this during the game, every time you play a game? Add these options on the tactics screen so I dont have to put for example "retain possession" and "overlap" up every freakin time... Opposition instructions? teamtalks? Well I can live with those aslong as I have an assistant who does them for me, and I'm not required to do them. Anyway it doesn't add anything for me.. it subtracts from my enjoyment.

This last patch 10.3 is another fail in a series of fails. Fixing some issues and introducing a whole range of new (or old) problems. I think the ME is a total fail.

Wow, way to complain without actually mentioning one issue except that you're too lazy to use Touchline Instructions.

Wow, way to complain without actually mentioning one issue except that you're too lazy to use Touchline Instructions.

ME being a fail (heart of the game) and countless bugs don't count? I'm frustrated because I love playing FM and it disappoints me every year. The game is a moneymaker of huge proportions now (how many can release the same game year after year and take full price for it?)... I think the developers should work on a release that actually works out of the box and stop pushing "new" games every year that are not ready.

Archived