Wallace v Roberts 2010 - discussion thread - new players welcome!

After the popularity of the 08 and 09 versions of the Wallace v Roberts challenge, I'll be starting it off for 2010 some time over the forthcoming weeks.

If you're not familiar with it, take a look at the previous thread here. As you can see, the idea is that we have two teams, affectionately known as the Northern Monkeys and the Southern Softies, who compete to rise up from the bottom of the English leagues. The difference here is that each participant completes one season, then hands the file over to someone else. It's a idea that's worked well and has seen the thread pick up a CSE forum award or two and several nominations.

So, just wanted to start this thread as an open discussion as to any ideas people would like to see implemented in the next version, once it gets under way. Just to be clear, I'll wait a while before we start - probably 3 or 4 weeks at least, so people have a chance to get well into their own saves, and familiarise themselves with the new game.

Possible discussion points: Do you want to see Wallace and Roberts remain in charge? Happy with the use of just the English leagues? Have you wanted to take part before but been put off for some reason? Can be anything though.

While we're here, might as well also double this as a sign up thread to take part. So either state:

My name is _________, I'm a Northern Monkey and proud! or

My name is _________, I'm a Southern Softy and don't care who knows it!

(or words to those effects)

Looking forward to seeing some of the guys who've done well in the various small to big clubs threads take part in addition to the familiar names...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I think to be fair that we'll stick with England. The only question woudl be if we throw in another league to make a start there once we've completed the challenge in England. Tbf though, it would probably be a bit of a disadvantage in terms of processing times after the 20 or so seasons that usually takes.

Yeah, I think to be fair that we'll stick with England. The only question woudl be if we throw in another league to make a start there once we've completed the challenge in England. Tbf though, it would probably be a bit of a disadvantage in terms of processing times after the 20 or so seasons that usually takes.

I think playing in a different league after we've completed the challenge would be good, but as you said I think the processing time would be too much. But we could always start another save game after we've had enough fun with the original 'challenge'.

I know it would be virtually impossible to organise and just wouldn't work, but how good would this be as a network game? Can you imagine pairs of softies/monkeys taking it in turns to manage the teams head to head in the same league?

Now that's pretty interesting. I've thought in the past it would be good to somehow have them in the same 'world' and guess this is the only answer.

I think the organisation involved might make it almost unworkable though, or at least just very slow moving. I mean, it sometimes takes ages for individuals to get through their season without the complexity of co-ordinating with someone else to be online, possible hardware problems...I've never played a network game but imagne there could be other difficulties? The other things would be that some of us are in different time zones...I'm 4 hours behind the UK, for exampe, which makes it tough to get online at the same time as everyone else.

All that being said, if someone wanted to give it a go, it would make a good offshoot thread.

My name is DodgeeD, and I would be proud to be a Northern Monkey!

I never had the time to join last year though I followed 'silently'. I should have time this year and without the download problems that prevented me from joining in FM08 although it would probably be best to wait until January (once uni assignments are done) to ensure I can do a season in a week. :thup:

My name is LLR, and I'm a Southern Softie and I don't care who knows it.

I think for our first run through we stay in the English Leagues and even stick with the big time managers we have. Network game I think is undoable, especially for me being 12-13 hours ahead of the UK. Thinking teams, Staines Town (You knew it dafuge) or Dover for the Softies? :)

My name is berty1978, I'm a Southern Softy and I don't care that I smell. :D

I like the network game suggestion, but impossible to get sorted as someone also mentioned. We could take the side predicted to finish bottom of the BSS/BSN or have a poll/vote on it. For the Softies I like the Dover suggestion. :)

How about Sollihul Moors for the Northern Monkeys? Or Stafford Rangers - not very Northern but there is a monkey sanctuary a short distance from there in Tamworth. :D

And Lewes for the Southern Softies for two reasons: 1) The stadium is called 'the Dripping Pan' :D 2) It sounds the same as 'lose' ;)

I suggest why not plant Roberts and Wallace in a different country to begin with? Instead of completing the challenge and then starting again elsewhere. I mean, the English league system's been done for the past two versions, and it's not as if there's any real sentimentality attached to it as Wallace played in Nothern Ireland anyway. I know the two arguments in favour of England are a) It is familiar territory and b) It has the most in-detail league structure but re: a) We use fake players anyway so a lot of the familiarity doesn't actually exist, and b) with the new data editor it is possible to make other countries as indepth - or we could just cope with the challenge taking a few fewer seasons to complete.

I probably won't be able to take part for a few months, if at all this year as i'm not sure if i'm getting the game!

I'd like to change the managers tbh, Wallace Vs Smylie would be awesome :cool:

No chance Nep's getting two managers in it ;) We Softies are keeping Roberts :cool:

I may take part at some point, or at least would like to follow it throughout the challenge.

I think we should use two teams that are fairly local to each other if we could. The furthest south to still be called nothern and someone within close proximity for the softies. I can't help but think the southerners get some form of advantage....

The network game sounds really good, would be quality of you had one running alongside with some fairly strict playing times, as if one manager couldn't make it for the night another could just step in, if available. Probably work best if the number of managers on each side were restricted to 3/4.

Still look forward to managing the monkey's.... we could go further down the leagues this year though......

I think we should use two teams that are fairly local to each other if we could. The furthest south to still be called nothern and someone within close proximity for the softies. I can't help but think the southerners get some form of advantage....

The network game sounds really good, would be quality of you had one running alongside with some fairly strict playing times, as if one manager couldn't make it for the night another could just step in, if available. Probably work best if the number of managers on each side were restricted to 3/4.

Still look forward to managing the monkey's.... we could go further down the leagues this year though......

In the first version I'm pretty sure the Monkeys got promoted second season then relegated, but they went into the Conference South. Might be a reason to keep them apart. Or maybe we might assume that netiher team would get relegated ;)

I think that having a couple of people playing a season could work, although it could have some problems. Like the managers would have to agree on a formation as it just wouldn't work if each manager was using their own ideas.

Yeah didn't think about the reclassification each season for the north and south part.

There are many more lower leagues available to us this time though, I've just started a save playing as Durham and doing rubbish.

There are many more lower leagues available to us this time though, I've just started a save playing as Durham and doing rubbish.

Unless you've lost every game you are doing better than IRL. ;)

I reckon rather than teams close to each other we should go for the extremes.

There are a few south coast teams the Softies could go: Weymouth, Dorchester, Eastleigh, Havant & W, Lewes or Dover.

The furthest North is Blyth but there's also Workington not much further south. I reckon someone like Harrogate though, they northern enough?

Nobody mentioned Gloucester for the monkeys yet? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Always been a proud Southern Softee, but I don't think I'll commit to this for a while yet, given the state of my computer yet. But once it's fully up and running and I have had a few seasons to adjust to the new game and get back in the mood, I'm more than happy to play a season or two!!

Always been a proud Southern Softee, but I don't think I'll commit to this for a while yet, given the state of my computer yet. But once it's fully up and running and I have had a few seasons to adjust to the new game and get back in the mood, I'm more than happy to play a season or two!!

Yay more Softies! :D

I haven't forgetten this...will update the lists with the recent additions soon.

I think what we need now is to decide on teams, so what are people's preferences on both sides? Ideally they should be roughly even (in terms of rep, stadium size, etc) so that no-one's at a particular disadvantage. Moreover, is it about time to get cracking?

Small confession: I haven't got into FM10 yet. Haven't even reached the first league game in a save, and recently taken an addiction to Civ4. Never mind, will probably get into it eventually. I'll get the thread up and running in a while anyway...

Haven't even reached the first league game in a save, and recently taken an addiction to Civ4. Never mind, will probably get into it eventually. I'll get the thread up and running in a while anyway...

shouldnt take long for that to disappear. getting the Civ 4 complete pack pushed me onto it for a day or two, then i realised that i only needed to play beyond the sword, and that got a bit dull after a while.

• 3 weeks later...

How bout we take the most Northern & Most Southern teams? Blyth for Northern Monkeys & Weymouth for Southern Softies?

The opposite would be the closest teams together, though then we may swap leagues which are Worcester City & Redditch United?

Those would be my two options, I like the first one personally, but up to everyone else as well...

How bout we take the most Northern & Most Southern teams? Blyth for Northern Monkeys & Weymouth for Southern Softies?

The opposite would be the closest teams together, though then we may swap leagues which are Worcester City & Redditch United?

Those would be my two options, I like the first one personally, but up to everyone else as well...

We used Blyth last year, so if we want to use them again we could do the former, but I think the latter is a very interesting idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy new year.

Just thought I'd pop in to say that as an update to my last post in here, I still really haven't got into FM10. Still barely played it. Besides that, heading into my absolute busiest time at work for the next 4 months or so. All things considered then I doubt I'll get a FM10 version of Wallace v Roberts off the ground any time soon.

If someone else wants to have a bash running it, that would be fine, just let me know. I might even have a turn at some point if that's the case. If no-one's bothered, that's also fair enough...just thought I should say in case people are waiting for something that might not be coming. Sorry about that.

Happy new year.

Just thought I'd pop in to say that as an update to my last post in here, I still really haven't got into FM10. Still barely played it. Besides that, heading into my absolute busiest time at work for the next 4 months or so. All things considered then I doubt I'll get a FM10 version of Wallace v Roberts off the ground any time soon.

If someone else wants to have a bash running it, that would be fine, just let me know. I might even have a turn at some point if that's the case. If no-one's bothered, that's also fair enough...just thought I should say in case people are waiting for something that might not be coming. Sorry about that.

Not a problem.

I'd be happy to run it this year if needs be, possibly starting once the next patch is released (February some time?).

We do still need to decide on two teams, I personally like the idea of two teams that are reasonably close together, even if it means the Northern Monkeys may end up in the Blue Square South after they fail to gain promotion in season 1. It'll make no difference the the Softies as we will be promoted at the first attempt ;).

Archived