The Official Football Manager 2010 DEMO FEEDBACK Thread

oh great...i was hoping that the demo would be released on the weekend so i can successfully cram for my uni exam tomorrow ;). But it it'll looks like i'll be taking a fail, so i can bask in the glory that is FM10......priorities right?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oh great...i was hoping that the demo would be released on the weekend so i can successfully cram for my uni exam tomorrow ;). But it it'll looks like i'll be taking a fail, so i can bask in the glory that is FM10......priorities right?

you got your priorities correct, GAME ON

No you're using a quick start which won't have all of the players in the game loaded. You'll be able to load the Cray squad with the full game.

WHAT!?!?!? Damnit FrazT, I've just spent the last 20 minutes trying to get a list together in the Data Issues forum and now I don't even know if you need it. Still, it's there is you do, and besides unless you've either nicked CM's info or got in touch with the league/club, I'm not sure how reliable it'll be as there's no-one actually in charge of researching Cray, and I don't know if Laskowski, who's the only researcher I know of in the Ryman League, has seen them until this week when Boreham Wod played us.

• SI Staff
Hi,

I'm playing on a Macbook 13'' running 10.5 and I have always played the game in windowed mode. Installed the demo no problem yesterday and switched the display to windowed in preferences but the window that the game displays in is too deep by about 50 pixels or so.

As I can't see the bottom of the screen I can't see if I can reduce the size of the window down manually but the main problem is which with the window being too large I'm missing some of the buttons off the bottom of the screen. I've tried changing the resolution of the screen to see if that helps but it didn't work.

I know I'm in a small minority playing the game on a Mac but any help solving this problem would be appreciated.

It might be worth adjusting your dock settings so that it isn't using auto-hide, open the game in full screen and then switch to windowed. Hopefully that should make the window the right size to be adjusted and you can then switch your dock settings back

Good to know that it's not just me, if it's not my computer, how did it ever get through the rigorous testing? hope it'll be sorted out.

Happens to me too, but not overly concern about it.

Everything else is very well done, and I even got the AI to negotiate and offer something less than their initial reply!

Good work SI!

Only thing (besides that the game crashes and quits in my Mac for no reason during the game even though I have five stars in the graphics system, the dark skin is very smplistic and quasi infantile, and that the ball in 3D spmetimes disappears), I've had two goals against where the striker takes the ball away from the keeper on my Villarreal save. I've not seen this happen two times even during my time as a Villarreal fan (20 years); let alone with a keeper like Diego Lopez.

I'm not sure if this is a bug and if it has been mentioned before.

On the half time team talks when it is 'none' and you 'ask assistant' the players HT rating disappears.

Anyone else noticed this? If not can someone give it a go and see if the same happens.

Yea we know about this bug, we're working on it for the patch, good spot!

I'm not going to argue against that, but evenso, in the end, there are still the ME's same mechanics lying underneath. It's no different from any game, in the end, FM is an abstraction of what football really is, but when it really comes down to the mechanics themselves, it's still a workaround rather than an explanation. I'm sure you can do a great deal with the new settings, but there's no way you can further tweak this to your heart's content if you don't understand the game on its most basic level - the exact effect of sliders and tickboxes underneath respectively, which still are the most immediate connection between you and the match engine. It never had to be this vague, and this video demonstrates this nicely.

The thing is there isn't really anything wrong with the ME mechanics and how they work. It plays a realistic game of football for the most part. The only problem was applying user logic to those mechanics, which has now been achieved by the overlay of a tactics creator. I don't think it really requires any extra thought than that, it is what it is and it works well

TheUsualSuspect9 - this is an issue we are aware of and are looking into, cheers.

Ok cheers buddy.

Just want to say a big :thup: to everyone at SI. You really have listened to the fans this time and executed everything brilliantly.

The tactic creator particually impressed me, works wonders and is really easy to use.

The new skin is smart, I prefer the dark one as it adds a kind of shadowed effect. Only thing I'd mention on this would be there a couple of pages that look slightly bland, but still, a nice finish.

The updated graphics in 3D look great, if only I had the system to fully appreciate them.

Everyone involed in making and developing the game seems to have done a great job, once again, cheers guys. Big :thup: from me.

WHAT!?!?!? Damnit FrazT, I've just spent the last 20 minutes trying to get a list together in the Data Issues forum and now I don't even know if you need it. Still, it's there is you do, and besides unless you've either nicked CM's info or got in touch with the league/club, I'm not sure how reliable it'll be as there's no-one actually in charge of researching Cray, and I don't know if Laskowski, who's the only researcher I know of in the Ryman League, has seen them until this week when Boreham Wod played us.

wandsfan93 - to put your mind at rest, I've checked the beta for you, and the Cray squad is looking pretty much perfect judging by your notes in the data forum.

Trust in Laskowski. That guy is a non-League football nerd. There isn't anything about non-League he doesn't know. :D

What you should do, is try to get to some matches and get involved in researching. Then you can be sure the data will be spot on. :)

Regards,

C.

Anyone else notice the bigger teams buying more younger players than on FM09, is it possible that the AI are looking towards the future more than previous games?

Yes, this was covered in one of Miles' blogs. This reflects the current situation with the big clubs 'poaching' young talent and suchlike.

It might be worth adjusting your dock settings so that it isn't using auto-hide, open the game in full screen and then switch to windowed. Hopefully that should make the window the right size to be adjusted and you can then switch your dock settings back

Hi,

I never use auto-hide on the dock. I always keep the dock visible. I started the game up first time obviously which was in full screen mode and preferences switched it to windowed mode. The window then re-sized to being too long for the screen and disappeared behind the dock. I'm running 1220 x 800 resolution if that helps.

Wow SI being one of your biggest critics on FM09 and how dissapointed i was, you have turned this game round to the standards i expected from you guys and boy have you delivered.

The whole game feels fresh and vibrante and the tactics system is mind blowing and the 3d match engine has been improved and the stadium is a neat touch.

Very user friendly and the assistant tool is a wicked asset and the list goes on and on.

You have converted me back and i salute you.

Kind Regards

A diehard fan :)

They all come crawling back in the end :D

wandsfan93 - to put your mind at rest, I've checked the beta for you, and the Cray squad is looking pretty much perfect judging by your notes in the data forum.

Trust in Laskowski. That guy is a non-League football nerd. There isn't anything about non-League he doesn't know. :D

What you should do, is try to get to some matches and get involved in researching. Then you can be sure the data will be spot on. :)

Regards,

C.

Maybe for FM2012, for now I've got 5 A-Level subjects to concentrate on as well as having to go to my dad's a lot at weekends, preventing me from getting to a lot of games.

First impressions.

Look: Much cleaner and readable

Speed: Feels fast and responsive to clicks (of course just quick start), but Fm09 was almost unplayable due to slow speed FM2010 a lot lot better.

Backroom: More rich in this department

Tactics: I like the concept and the way it's easier to relate to real football

Player search: Match X/Y is so useful

Overview screen: This makes a massive difference to playability. So simple but a great addition.

Editor: Can't wait to download more English leagues so I can play Truro City

Dislikes

Match screens: Almost as if every part of the game was polished expect the matches.

*Switching screens is cumbersome

*Too many pre-match screens

*3D graphics terrible

All of those are FM09 problems and I hoped we'd see them polished out, this would have helped playing speed.

Overall very good, massively more playable than FM09. Not FM07 playable but much much closer in all respects. FM07 still the most accomplished package for me.

Agree with the above - but I would like the option to have the sliders available. I don't want generic settings. As much as possible I will still be tweaking away and defining my team through each player's mentality. I do think that the 'basic' option should have used the list of options and the 'advanced' should have allowed access to the team mentality sliders etc. Hope the subtlty of tactical options you could create in 09 is still there, but only experiments will tell.

Have you looked at the advanced options for the tactics? The only difference is that you can't setup your all of your overall team settings with a slider otherwise it's pretty much identical to FM09 (it is completely identical when you select advanced for individual player settings). The team sliders were pretty useless as most people override it using the individual settings.

Hi,

I never use auto-hide on the dock. I always keep the dock visible. I started the game up first time obviously which was in full screen mode and preferences switched it to windowed mode. The window then re-sized to being too long for the screen and disappeared behind the dock. I'm running 1220 x 800 resolution if that helps.

Sorry! Resoultion is 1280 x 800

• Members+
Could we have the dark skin as default or at least as a default option on the full game, not just on Steam?

It hurts my eyes, the white skin (I've documented my thoughts before on it).

You get the option to choose the light or the dark skin no matter where you buy the game (it's also included in the strawberry demo, but not in the vanilla one from what I understand)

The skin you get if you activate the game using steam will be based on the FM09 skin

• SI Staff
After having a quick play around with the demo, would it possible to include dribbles or runs past an opponent in the match analysis tool? either in a patch or FM11. You've got everything else in there :thup:

Added for my internal wishlist for FM11 :thup:

I never download the demo so I can't comment on the game yet, but I've hardly read any critical comments about the game, and the few critical ones have mostly been about the new skin, which will inevitably take some getting used to. A complete contrast to all the games of the last few years, so it seems as though it's looking good.

Whets my appetite even more for the actual game to be released.

• SI Staff
Hi,

If you adjust your systems resolution you should be able to get it to a size where the window can be resized, then if you switch it back to 1220 x 800 it should be fine :thup:

You can also use the 'Option' or 'cmd' key whilst pressing the green button in the top left corner of the window

Failing that there are a few nifty 3rd party tools for resizing windows with the keyboard

Just played the demo for an hour and i must say it looks and feels fantastic so many good things you have done just amazing great job!.I'm definitely buying the game.I have one issue tho even with last years game the 3d match engine runs really laggy for me but the rest of the game is fine and quick.What would the problem be and how could i improve and stop the lagging because 3d looks even better.

This could be the best Football manager yet.

I've noticed a few stupid little things which annoy me.

Two being that Liverpool's reputation is only continental while Chelsea's is worldwide. I know which is the bigger club and it's not Chelsea.

Also Giggs' reputation is only continental compared to someone like Vidic who's is worldwide.

Okay still waiting on an answer:)

Scouting recommendations seems underrated.

Players with potentials to be as good as Gerrard and Carragher only given 3* out of 5 for PA.

Robinho only given 3* CA.

I know Liverpool are a big enough club that players would have to be really good to warrant big ratings but how can you get much better than Gerrard?

oh PS- love the game!!

Hi

Started a game in the SPL with Kilmarnock. A couple of days in got a message saying that repayments on our loan have commenced at £2M per month? At this rate the club will be out of business in a month. Not sure yet if it is problem with the finance engine, data, or just an incorrect message. Will find out after a month I guess...

Is this a known issue?

Think the game is looking great though

i'm really impressed with it so far after 3 friendlies. one screen i dont understand is the analysis screen after the match. its got these colored circles and check markes next to them giving stats like shots blocked, shot goal etc. is my screen bugged or am i supposed to be able to click those circles and they show things?

• SI Staff
i'm really impressed with it so far after 3 friendlies. one screen i dont understand is the analysis screen after the match. its got these colored circles and check markes next to them giving stats like shots blocked, shot goal etc. is my screen bugged or am i supposed to be able to click those circles and they show things?

You need to have a specific player and stat selected and it shows the selected stat for the selected player, for example if a player has taken 5 shots it will show where they were from and whether they were on target etc, clicking the arrows should show you the relevant highlight as well

If you adjust your systems resolution you should be able to get it to a size where the window can be resized, then if you switch it back to 1220 x 800 it should be fine :thup:

You can also use the 'Option' or 'cmd' key whilst pressing the green button in the top left corner of the window

Failing that there are a few nifty 3rd party tools for resizing windows with the keyboard

Thanks for your help!!! I'll give it a go tonight.

PS The game is top draw!!!!! Can't wait to buy the full version

Great work everyone at SI

You need to have a specific player and stat selected and it shows the selected stat for the selected player, for example if a player has taken 5 shots it will show where they were from and whether they were on target etc, clicking the arrows should show you the relevant highlight as well

ah got it now, very nifty feature :thup:

Hi

Started a game in the SPL with Kilmarnock. A couple of days in got a message saying that repayments on our loan have commenced at £2M per month? At this rate the club will be out of business in a month. Not sure yet if it is problem with the finance engine, data, or just an incorrect message. Will find out after a month I guess...

Is this a known issue?

Think the game is looking great though

How has it worked out?

First impressions are very very good. Still getting used to the new User Interface but looks very professional. Really like how the game feels. One slight gripe is that I haven't noted any significant changes in the two press conferences I've hosted so far.

First match with Man City I was played United away, only for Tevez to score in 90+3 mins... Ohhh that was sweet!

Archived