Here's why Gegenpress is OP

(As per @Jack Joyce suggestion, I'll be cautious and I'll avoid using the term "proof" regarding EBFM work)

Evidence Based Football Manager just released a video that seems to suggest that higher Tempo, Mentality and (most of all) Trigger Press does not consume more Condition, which might be the reason why Gegenpress is viable at all levels of the football pyramid and is always the optimal choice, therefore being OP. I embedded the Youtube video down below (it's already timestamped, but watch from the beginning if you want to know more about his work methodology).

While EBFM's work might not be perfect, this is confirmation of something that anyone playing FM has been suspecting all along, so I'm not surprised.

There's really only two doubts in my mind:
1) Does SI know that the Match Engine works like this?
2) If so, is it intended?

While it can be argued that some relatively important aspects haven't been considered for the test (mainly LoE), these conclusions are just completely in line with most players' gut feeling about it.

I respect SI's work very much, FM is possibly one of the most complex games out there. I just want to understand whether or not they agree that this is an aspect of the ME worth improving (because if they don't agree, they'll obviously never work on it).

It's a guessing game with so many variables. Not to mention the code needed to make it work. 

Therefore, it's heavily based on RNG and if that favors Gegenpress, it means that the code has more 'true' cases than 'negative' cases resulting in a goal being scored.

If you really want to know, they'd have to give you the coding. However, imagining they'd even consider it, it would make this game extremely meta, which it already is in certain ways. 

I hate losing, but knowing how to fix it is one thing, but simply never getting in the situation is a whole other thing. 

it's like in MMO the DPS build does more damage but should be weaker

Gegenpress should break players much more but when players break often people whine instead of changing tactics and insist that the game is broken because of too many injuries instead of understanding that Gegenpress is supposed to break people as it gives an advantage in scoring

but honestly, people on here is really the worst user of logic I have ever seen they call "easy" a game with no difficulty (you make your own difficulty) they call gegenpress op but refuse any backlash of the tactic and whine when the player break because they use gegenpress i all matches non stop

there is no point in any of these post

Edited by Ngoc

Agreed. SI are surely aware of this- they have acknowledged in previous editions of attempting to make gegenpress a “thing of the past” however that clearly hasn’t happened yet.

Which makes me think they either know about it and are happy to just leave it there, or, more likely, doing something about it will unbalance a very complex game, which potentially (and at least hopefully) can be fixed in the new engine. 

Edited by sthptngomad76

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Part-time players should be dropping dead after half a dozen games using GP

I think it was 2 years or 3 years ago when they did that but not to this extreme and this form was filled with people complaining that their players couldn't play 3 games in a row because they were tired.

We see the same with injuries where every year people complain there's too many injuries when in reality it's nowhere near to the amount of injuries IRL.

Also in defence of SI they did introduce sprint capacity which if I remember correctly it was every player knowing how much they can sprint before needing to recover and Jack Joyce did mention that I see the good there are 2 condition bars where I've functions like stamina bars in some games where if you run or do something physically demanding that bar will run out quickly and you have to rest a bit before you can do something else which is physically demanding so maybe if you out all that together it evens out. I have no idea 

EBFM, hope you continue with your videos. I find them very insightful. And please do not listen to people who try to shut you up and are afraid of doubts in peoples’ minds, because this is how the freedom of opinion and speech is killed. I prefer to get as much info as possible and form my opinion myself. Keep up your work!

14 hours ago, stopazricky said:

(As per @Jack Joyce suggestion, I'll be cautious and I'll avoid using the term "proof" regarding EBFM work)

Evidence Based Football Manager just released a video that seems to suggest that higher Tempo, Mentality and (most of all) Trigger Press does not consume more Condition, which might be the reason why Gegenpress is viable at all levels of the football pyramid and is always the optimal choice, therefore being OP. I embedded the Youtube video down below (it's already timestamped, but watch from the beginning if you want to know more about his work methodology).

While EBFM's work might not be perfect, this is confirmation of something that anyone playing FM has been suspecting all along, so I'm not surprised.

There's really only two doubts in my mind:
1) Does SI know that the Match Engine works like this?
2) If so, is it intended?

While it can be argued that some relatively important aspects haven't been considered for the test (mainly LoE), these conclusions are just completely in line with most players' gut feeling about it.

I respect SI's work very much, FM is possibly one of the most complex games out there. I just want to understand whether or not they agree that this is an aspect of the ME worth improving (because if they don't agree, they'll obviously never work on it).

Davincid realism mod is making  gegenpressing so much less OP im my new save if thats any help to you,i am only a few months in mind

4 minutes ago, dannyo666 said:

Davincid realism mod is making  gegenpressing so much less OP im my new save if thats any help to you,i am only a few months in mind

Oh, please keep us posted on how your save evolves. I've added his mods to my editor data folder for my next save, but that might be a while away.

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

Oh, please keep us posted on how your save evolves. I've added his mods to my editor data folder for my next save, but that might be a while away.

Absolutly will,no problem....im actually enjoying the game now-again im only a couple months in...

2 hours ago, dannyo666 said:

There's nothing in his pack that would cause gegenpressing to be 'less OP'.  The ONLY thing that could have any effect is his injury mod, as that raises injury numbers more in line with real life, but whilst you MAY get more injuries playing that system, there's nothing that would make it a less effective tactic. His mods don't alter the match engine in any way. 

7 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

There's nothing in his pack that would cause gegenpressing to be 'less OP'.  The ONLY thing that could have any effect is his injury mod, as that raises injury numbers more in line with real life, but whilst you MAY get more injuries playing that system, there's nothing that would make it a less effective tactic. His mods don't alter the match engine in any way. 

I'm assuming injuries are more sensitive to low condition.

1 hour ago, Siven said:

I'd rather have EBFM's data than just having to rely on SI's vague in game descriptions tbh.

Not me.  While I have watched some of his videos in the past, I think I would rather not know.  Besides, reading through this thread, quite a few people who have a far better understanding of the game than me seem to think his methodology is balls and has no relevance to the way someone actually plays the game.

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

6 of one half dozen of another way of putting it.Yeah players getting tired much more easily leading to do injuries so if gegenpressing is your jam-you have to rotate...and as a result gegenpressing is not as OP whilst you are playing live and ingame....i presume there are other factors like player attributes etc at play also which are in the game code which on SI would know

Edited by dannyo666

Gerade eben schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

You'll know better than me of course, but I'm just going by the list of changes your mod advertises. 

It's a question of interpretation. Does my mod impact the tactic itself? No. Does it impact the factors which are required to use a very intensive tactic in a very effective way? Yes it does. 
So for my logic, this lowers the effectivity of tactics like Gegenpress:thup:

Just now, Daveincid said:

It's a question of interpretation. Does my mod impact the tactic itself? No. Does it impact the factors which are required to use a very intensive tactic in a very effective way? Yes it does. 

Absulutely and this is very apparent when playing

11 minutes ago, dannyo666 said:

6 of one half dozen of another way of putting it.Yeah players getting tired much more easily leading to do injuries so if gegenpressing is your jam-you have to rotate...and as a result gegenpressing is not as OP whilst you are playing live and ingame....i presume there are other factors like player attributes etc at play also which are in the game code which on SI would know

See, my issue with this is that SI said a couple of years back they were effectively nerfing this tactic precisely down to players getting more tired using it, but this still doesn't seem to be happening in the base game. If it's as 'easy' (and that's no disrespect to @Daveincid intended) for one person to singlehandedly change the effectiveness of this tactic with a mod, then why hasn't the company who produces the game been able to manage this? 

3 hours ago, Rashidi said:

If gegen pressing is so successful, how come I haven’t seen a single person post evidence of an entire season with no goals conceded? If it is so strong and broken then you should be able to take Oldham’s default squad and stomp all over Leicester.

Oh, come on. That's just absurd thing to say. It's like claiming that AI has no problems with squad management currently just because I only managed to loan Bukayo Saka from Arsenal instead of getting him completely for free...

It is not guaranteed that playing Gengenpress will make your players more tired than other defensive systems. If you dominate possession - I am talking over 60% then there will be plenty of opportunities to rest. If you play out from the back and are maintaining possession then you are not high pressing then. I would wager some high pressers use less energy than those who sit back and defend deep.

Also, in IRL, some clubs are better at dealing with the high press than others. Man City are happy dealing with it using a long ball to Haaland if they cannot play their way through and Brighton encourage it as a tactic. On the other hand Man Utd cannot deal with the high press, look at the Bournemouth game yesterday. 

The game could ensure that high-pressers with low possession would expend more energy than low/mid blockers or high possession teams. Also some teams can handle the high press better so you should get punished for using the high press against them.

6 hours ago, herne79 said:

Gegenpress is no more “overpowered” than any well thought through tactical system.  It’s just easier to set up and maintain than most others.

Does this not, by extension, make it overpowered?

Leaving EBFM aside, the prevailing opinion on here is that you can pretty much plug gegenpress in, without making any changes to the players you have, and have few issues.

In real life there are countless successful teams but also teams that have fallen apart because their pressing doesn't work (Jesse Marsh's Leeds and Bournmouths early form this season).

I agree you can make other tactic as successful as gegenpress but not plug and play. Not without modifying them and retouching them 

the advantage of gegenpress is that is stronger than other unless you heavily tweak the other so for average player that don’t mess with tactic gegenpress is the only one out of the box extremely effective 

if you deny it you probably never played tactics without heavily modifying them and that’s probably the case for a lot of pro-player but for novice is definitely OP and the drawbacks are too minimal 

6 hours ago, Daveincid said:

Very interested in your mod Daveincd, great work. Have you got any data which compares use of high intensity tactics in “vanilla” game versus that your mods? For example, on injury rates?

6 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

See, my issue with this is that SI said a couple of years back they were effectively nerfing this tactic precisely down to players getting more tired using it, but this still doesn't seem to be happening in the base game. If it's as 'easy' (and that's no disrespect to @Daveincid intended) for one person to singlehandedly change the effectiveness of this tactic with a mod, then why hasn't the company who produces the game been able to manage this? 

They definitely know about it but they also want people to win and - most importantly - ensure more people have a shot at those Conference to Europe FM stories. Keeping it as it is means it’s easier for people to do and players winning more means playing the game more, which is what they want. 

Some people want a ‘set and forget’ tactic and this is what gegenpress allows, for the most part. 

Edited by DP

vor 10 Minuten schrieb sthptngomad76:

Very interested in your mod Daveincd, great work. Have you got any data which compares use of high intensity tactics in “vanilla” game versus that your mods? For example, on injury rates?

I did more extensive tests last year but there is no benefit for me to spend massive time on evaluation for something which works fine for me for years :) However, I did posted results as part of the Gegenpress-discussion in the General-Feedback-thread:

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/579205-football-manager-2024-official-feedback-thread/?do=findComment&comment=14242670

12 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Of course LLM players can outrun and outplay most other teams. Good LLM players have very deep squads. That in itself counteracts any issue created with player fatigue. You just swap out players and go with another bunch and keep plowing through the leagues.

For each gegen pressing story I hear, I can plonk other stories about players who are playing counter attacking football with low blocks and traps. One of my mates is playing a simple 433DM with a low block minimal pressing with outside traps and he just invites teams to attack him while scoring on the counter.

Gegen pressing is strong, of that I have no doubt, however other systems are just as good. Just because the majority of players can’t pull them off doesn’t mean they don’t exist. If gegen pressing is so successful, how come I haven’t seen a single person post evidence of an entire season with no goals conceded? If it is so strong and broken then you should be able to take Oldham’s default squad and stomp all over Leicester. Then that is an exploit or a serious flaw in the game.

When I found an exploit in the game, at least I had the decency to send in my save and my tactic to SI and ask them to verify my findings. Thats what someone who wants the game to improve does, not cry bloody wolf.

His testing approach is a fundamental experimental fallacy. You cannot claim that your results are true when the experiment itself does not operate within realistic parameters.

All that does is feed into the insecurity of players who aren’t good at the game. His experiments have been debunked time and time again “live on stream”, but hey people want to believe, what they want to believe.

When people said counter attacking tactics don’t work, i proved otherwise. When they said you can’t have high possession with high mentalities I proved live on stream one can get 70% on very attacking mentality. People like EBFM don’t know enough about the game to run experiments accurately. Hey but people want to believe what they want to believe.

I doubt SI or anyone who actually knows how to play the game is even going to bother with another flawed experiment by EBFM again. Hes just another boy who thought he saw a wolf. At the end of the day, if people want to walk off a cliff and pretend they can walk on air, let em even those who want to follow him.  Do I dislike him? Of course not. 

Rashidi, what do you think of FM24 AI? Do you have games where AI controlled team beats you with lots of chances? Do you feel the power of for example Man City, Liverpool etc. when they are controlled by AI? And you are lets say relegation club? 

Because i dont. 

Ty. 

That controlled group work for a controlled group and only prove that in absolute if all is even there are tactics that allow more goal obviously in real scenarios stuff are different and mechanics join up in different way that may swing the example and even give opposite result of a controlled balanced environment

that is a fact and he proved it. It does remove a lot of complexity and barebone the mechanics to abstract basic ideas but it’s still valuable data even if is not how the game usually works because the game is much more complex with many more variable at play 

so not everybody that play gegenpress feel is op but a large majority feel it makes they game easier and that honestly reflect in his simplified test because is true with the wrong team and wrong player gegenpress still can lose a lot but in general it won’t because of things are somewhat balanced and that how usually player tend to play trying they best to have the best team player gegenpress will give them an extra advantage if they know what they are doing 

Edited by Ngoc

21 ore fa, Rashidi ha scritto:

His testing approach is a fundamental experimental fallacy. You cannot claim that your results are true when the experiment itself does not operate within realistic parameters.

I agree with everything you said about other tactical styles. You can play literally anything. If you're not that bad you'll make it work.

This is really wrong tho. When you wanna test something on science field you gotta isolate everthing that could change the final result.

The final result is obv the sum of a lot of factors(really simplified and not that correct Superposition principle. Obv it's not that easy to explain and there could be inaccuracies to what i'm saying but please just try to understand).

If you wanna understand how a single factor works you gotta "shut off" all the others. Obviously the other factors still exist and will change how the game simulates but still that does not mean the test itself is wrong.

It's the best you can do without having more advanced ways to "talk" to the game.

If you tried with all the realistic parameters you wouldn't know what you're actually finding out. Is the player not tiring out cause of the game or because the morale, the training, his attributes are helping?

You gotta start at the basics and then understand if there's something you can do to help achieve what you're trying to achieve

Edited by Andrew Marines

@Andrew MarinesI agree a control is needed in any experiment. I too set a control base for my experiments in FM. There are also a lot of variables that go into match blend which is the predominant driver for results in a game. How would one ascertain which variables are at play then if you are not testing the variables themselves against the control?  The match engine takes a lot of factors into play and one needs to establish how these variables impact any controlled experiment. That is my point.  And by the way the approach he has taken isn’t the best by any stretch. If he wants help he can approach SI, if he doesn’t then his approach will always meet criticism for not being rigorous enough.

2 minuti fa, Rashidi ha scritto:

I understand where you are coming from, just frustrates me when someone consumes a lot of time doing experiments like this and doesn’t wade in for help. No skin off my back.

I really hope with Unity we'll have the possibility to use mods and create tools to effectively test those things but i really don't think it'll be the case.

in the meanwhile, don't know how you would ask SI for help on those things. Are you just gonna open a thread here or write a Direct message to the staff or ...?

I mean to deny that high pressing and much more often trigger press, high tempo, lots of tackling are not meta is basically complete ignorance.
There are thousands of tests and i have seen it since ages, should it be like this ? absolutely YES because it reflects real life football, the problem i have and many is that bad players with non gegenpress traits seem to do better in that style versus other styles that is the problem not the fact that high press is op and meta cause it is in real life just that you cannot do it with Lutton Town to the extent of being so superior to other styles and teams and basically a cheat code from get go should be much more harsh in injuries and fatigue or simply players fail and make bad pressing decisions and play better in less intensity that's it.

Edited by avenger22

5 hours ago, xOGxTerror said:

I am really really surprised by some of the comments in this thread. Whether what he says in his video or not is completely accurate, for some people to put other people down for even trying to test this stuff and figure out how parts of the game work is laughable. If people have a better method to test this - you'd think they would suggest it rather than saying this one is "balls" and not putting forward an alternative.

EBFM has released some good videos in the past which has revealed how a few of the less explained systems in FM work. And he has explained it better than the game does - and I think if the game explained some of these systems better, there would not be a need for the work that EBFM does.

But the reaction of some people replying to this is hilarious. 

He is releasing videos trying to figure out how some parts of the game relate to other parts... specifically how does OPC relate to different attributes and tactical setup. Something that is not DIRECTLY explained by FM. Why does he need to release these findings to SI? He isn't even saying anything is BROKEN! He is just saying this is how different systems work and effect each other in FM from my testing. He also lays out his testing and his saves for you to see and test yourself... If SI care so much they have access to the save files in the description of the video!

You claimed above to watch the video for all of 3 minutes. How can you be so sure his testing methods are so wrong? He uses "test" teams so he has a control group... and changes the attributes and other variables in relation to the control group. And tests it 100 times each. That is how you prove a hypothesis... 

Also notice randomly there is a very very strong pushback here against EBFM mostly only from a few people who already have a pretty cozy relationship with SI... It would seem to me like they do not like people out right testing their systems methodically and trying to explain how some aspects work that they would rather keep mysterious... 

It's a game, let people test it and put forth those findings how they want. But to say people "don't have a shred of integrity" for testing a hypothesis and releasing a video explaining their findings is a bit much. I personally really like what EBFM has done with his videos. I don't claim to think they are all 100% accurate, but I do appreciate someone at least TRYING to understand how some of the lesser explained systems in this game work. Even if SI doesn't. 

You are of course missing the point.

If people want to test things out have at it, not a problem.  The problem starts when said people release videos which appear to show either issues with the game and/or “how the game works”.  This gets into the mindset of others and it quickly becomes “fact”.  But at no point is the data given to SI for them to check and investigate.  But you’d like SI to monitor every video that gets released in the hope that they can find the data?  Come on.  All EBFM (and others) need do is open a bug report, say “hey SI something seems off here can you take a look” and upload the data to SI’s servers.  It takes 30 seconds.  And once SI have looked into it they can include the results in their video.  But they don’t do that.

So this is nothing to do with “cozy relationships”, not liking people testing things or being “fans” as someone else above said.  It’s about integrity of data and people in the community being affected by the lack thereof.  Just give the data to SI and all of this goes away.  Hilarious indeed.