The FM24 Youth Academy Challenge

4 hours ago, Virtual Male said:

After thinking that I'd lost the save to it corrupting and having a sad afternoon I remembered why I backup my important saves externally. I lost a month or so but nothing that changes anything worth noting, still the same intake etc. I've no idea what caused the save file to die but after some googling I've seen that there's been people having some issues when adding playable leagues after the start of a save (which is something I'd done) so I assume that's what did it.

Would be great if other people who have added playable leagues as they go all along can report on how its working out. 

I just added 4 new nations (playing in March 2031), as I am preparing to play European football in hopefully 4-5 seasons. Only having the one league when playing European football is such a big advantage it basically should be mandatory to have several key nations loaded. But big trouble if the save is corrupted!

In your backup save, do you have the new leagues added?

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

Would be great if other people who have added playable leagues as they go all along can report on how its working out. 

I just added 4 new nations (playing in March 2031), as I am preparing to play European football in hopefully 4-5 seasons. Only having the one league when playing European football is such a big advantage it basically should be mandatory to have several key nations loaded. But big trouble if the save is corrupted!

In your backup save, do you have the new leagues added?

They're not no, I backed it up just before I added them.... From what I've been able to find out (and been told by someone who seems to know what they're on about) it doesn't appear to be a common issue, but definitely worth creating that extra 'just incase' save before you add them as pending.

4 minutes ago, Virtual Male said:

They're not no, I backed it up just before I added them.... From what I've been able to find out (and been told by someone who seems to know what they're on about) it doesn't appear to be a common issue, but definitely worth creating that extra 'just incase' save before you add them as pending.

I hope I haven’t made a huge mistake now! But luckily the leagues arent added before the end of the season, so I can at least make a backup then. 

9 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

I hope I haven’t made a huge mistake now! But luckily the leagues arent added before the end of the season, so I can at least make a backup then. 

As long as you've got a save from before the leagues become active you should be fine to go back and take them away if any issues crop up.

1 minute ago, Potat said:

image.png.e65f0f57ffdc47658d0587bdec6dde6c.png

FC Maruyasu Okazaki

End of Save Review - 2026 - Season 3

Getting promoted was the worst thing that could have happened, £3m in debt to build a new stadium (which we never played in), and £6m extra to use the current stadium for an extra season meant we had no money, as far as players go, what we had wasn't good enough and we had no chance, made worse by losing 2 key players (starting RB and CM who was POTY the year before). Despite the aim being "Fight Bravily Against Relegation" and being by far the worst team in the league, with 1 win and 8 points from 32 games I can't say I'm shocked I got sacked but still disappointed. 

This challenge is torture but still in a weird way I enjoy it, so we go again somewhere else. 

Is there anything against using the same game file to start at another team with a new manager?

If you get the sack its the end of that save.

If you saved the game at the point where you selected your team you could take over one of the other teams (since you haven't actually managed a game saves you simming a year again)

1 hour ago, aldojags said:

Can I check for Norway, it lets you load up to the 4th tier, but this appears to be unplayable when trying to pick a team, so can you just play in 3rd tier?

Just fired up a quick sim for this and get the same,I guess you are meant to run the sim with only 3 tiers since Follo are now in the third tier in season 2 and @XaW is managing them so you don't have to start at the 4th tier (as its not possible by the looks of it)

1 hour ago, aldojags said:

Can I check for Norway, it lets you load up to the 4th tier, but this appears to be unplayable when trying to pick a team, so can you just play in 3rd tier?

The 4th tier is "view only" in the default DB, so you can just pick a team there and make sure they get promoted into the 3rd tier. It's also mentioned in the top tier.

However, if you want something special...

*cough*

image.thumb.png.6bf41112ccddee8825fd3be6f6fc3cbc.png

TSV Aachen

Preview

If I fail with a setup this good then I'll take the hint this isn't for me.

Manager Profile | Club Profile

Key Players

Jan-Luca Rumpf | Ulrich Bapoh | Frederic Baum

By far the best squad of players I've had to work with so far, hopefully, I get to keep them around.

Best Prospects

Laurence Park | Nikola Janev 

Along with some decent youngsters who will get to develop as I won't need to rush them into the team.

Edited by Potat

vor 5 Stunden schrieb SuperRedditch:

Redditch United
Season 1 - 2024/25

Vanarama National North - 1st (Champions)

Screenshot2023-11-08234744.png.f98ae0e493c98a06b7a6f6816ec9496d.png

Unbe-freaking-lievable. I might be a Rain Man level tactical savant genius: either that or copying Pep's 3-2-5 just breaks football. No seriously, Redditch suck. We just hit form and with the best defence in the league (conceding 54 goals, lol) we just ground out victory after victory. I play with Redditch a lot and never would have conceived this was possible with the starting team.

It wasn't all a success though, as is standard for this level we haemorrhaged money, ending up (£60,878). I couldn't get a coaching badge either, nor could I get any recruitment upgrades and half the squad is unhappy because i don't have enough depth at centre-back.

Unfortunately, the one thing that could make a difference to the finances is a good cup run. Getting to the FA Cup 3rd round is a massive windfall. We got some rotten luck with tough away draws, however, and we crashed out of both cups early. That's the winning lottery ticket right there though, there's always next season.

We are also destined to lose our best DR and AML on free transfers, as they are refusing to sign new contracts. My starting DMC will also leave, as being the ringleader of the squad unrest is also refusing to sign a new deal.

The Squad

Somehow this ramshackle squad of 17 players are champions. Here are the real winners:

Johnny Johnston - MC - 17 goals / 11 assists as CM(A).
Aram Soleman - AMR - This guy has never delivered for me on this scale before. 15 goals/15 assists as Winger(A).
Jenson Cooper - ST - Very limited but he can jump a bit. Top scorer with 20 goals.

The Intake

Screenshot2023-11-08181156.png.58e5a1e4c5d5b29b9cb10b0b3d049e5a.png

Oooh "golden generation", but highest is a C. I don't believe your lies, HoYD.

Screenshot2023-11-08221217.png.83c14781322f94c4ac04c2ba24b3def9.png

Screenshot2023-11-08223032.thumb.png.90ea626053157fa4af24958331f09422.png

Screenshot2023-11-08223054.thumb.png.aa833ceed6c4eacd864d62316cb97f5b.png

Platt's actually a great lad - although 5* PA doesn't mean much with my awful facilities. I signed up pretty much everyone just to provide depth.

Next Season

Oh boy. Survive. Cup run if possible. Try not to lose legacy players who are my only hope. Getting promoted this quickly can be devastating in these saves.

Screenshot2023-11-08235046.png.c66f0dae1364cb173fb7f69181e8f13f.png

Welcome back Superman :applause:

vor 17 Minuten schrieb Redknapp_13:

I am going to try this one again, always wanted to do Romania. Third tier seems to be view-only, so can I pick a promoted team in the second tier?

Yes exactly. If you want to have a rather easy start, pick Politehnica Timisoara. They already have amazing facilities.

RealJanLogo.png.81304df9d163ae73b3174fd97cfe1b02.png

Real Jaén - Season 1 - Threatened With The Sack?!

MikelMrquezstudyinghisNationalCLicense.png.3cbb0299bccad7eb9e7f635c68d29239.png

Within the first few weeks at Real Jaén, I convinced the board to allow me to study for the National C Licence.

MikelMrquezcompletestheNationalCLicence.png.4d2d2af9008f30347fac9f74e6d2acc3.png

I have since completed the National C Licence qualification, but things haven't been going so well on the pitch.

ResultsSeptember-December.png.dbb341637bdda36caf2370ddd877a3ea.png

We started the season relatively well. After the opening game win against Gerena, we picked up another four wins in the next six matches, leading us to 15 points in our opening seven matches. However, we've only picked up four points in the last nine games since October started, losing seven.

Boardrequestmeetingtodiscussmanagersfuture.png.24c6c3d5c844b7ec2099db470d7b77b3.png

It's gotten so bad that the board called me into a meeting, and I was told I would be sacked if I didn't attend it. This was my only chance to save my job for the time being.

After attending the meeting, I saved my job by convincing the chairman to give me more time, but even to find myself in this situation so early in my career was alarming, and I needed to make sure that I could fix the problem I found myself in.

LeagueAfter17Games.png.709294bc51dff2ef67a014d1e57d4475.png

After the meeting with the board was completed, we found ourselves slumping down to 13th place, and as things stand, we will find ourselves in a relegation playoff to try and stay up in the Segunda Federación. We need to arrest this poor form, and very quickly, if I want to be able to stay in charge of Real Jaén.

YAC - Real Jaén - Part 3

I started a save in Sweden. Per-Olev Forsberg takes charge in IFK Lidingö.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b05bbf02016929511376512a02d22282.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8237124a25e812d98e2380d95b04f61a.png

We have a decent squad. GKs aren't that great but otherwise we should be fine on this level.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.103019ccc4c887649d67570474bd8b2f.png

Finances are looking good and facilities are decent as well.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b0b3765de882389b15f3d2e3b8d4aff1.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7df023d5d6b14f57071608b2bf1625c0.png

I hope this one goes better than my first try with Jonsered IF. 12 outfield players (7 of them rubbish) just wasn't enough, and I ended up getting sacked.

4 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Safe to say our small squad (we have 16 players) is catching up with us 

FCUnitedofManchester_Fixtures.thumb.png.99baccf5e67be758e06c5067b656f02a.png

I can't wait...  I have 12 in my entire club! :D 

image.png.fcaa7e856e8e2b6e98e5a2c0fe30cc8c.png

And yes, that is a left back as a centre back and a left winger as a central midfielder. But that's how it goes the first season in this challenge. I just need to survive until the intake.

6 minutes ago, XaW said:

I can't wait...  I have 12 in my entire club! :D 

image.png.fcaa7e856e8e2b6e98e5a2c0fe30cc8c.png

And yes, that is a left back as a centre back and a left winger as a central midfielder. But that's how it goes the first season in this challenge. I just need to survive until the intake.

Thankfully mine's not that bad, have enough to play people in their positions (aside from right back but that's when training comes in)

but that moment in a youth challenge when you're desperate for the intake and you get the preview...

DarrenAllam_Inbox.thumb.png.a95b3584fd8e996f63415088bfb3c31c.png

Oh :( 

1 minute ago, darren1983 said:

Thankfully mine's not that bad, have enough to play people in their positions (aside from right back but that's when training comes in)

but that moment in a youth challenge when you're desperate for the intake and you get the preview...

DarrenAllam_Inbox.thumb.png.a95b3584fd8e996f63415088bfb3c31c.png

Oh :( 

Ooof, at the very least you'll get a filled out bench for next season! /silver linings

1 hour ago, the_hdk said:

congrats @Winski on the promotion!

really well done. I tried sweden in the last 3 fm's without succes!

Thank you! :D

Yeah, as I wrote in my post; I tried Sweden many times over the years, but never got that far. I really hope that I manage to survive our first season on the highest level!

Really enjoying this thread so far, some great stories going on. 

Saw in the post above plenty about mentoring and wondered if anyone had any resources / guides about mentoring? I've had a little search around but can't really find anything too useful at the moment! 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by unfocused_alex

Just lost the only keeper at the club for 3 months with a broken arm - which just happens to be the rest of the season.

I forgot how much I hate this game :( 

Edit: 30 mins into the next game and the grey keeper I'm using also gets injured. This game man :mad: 

Edited by darren1983

30 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Just lost the only keeper at the club for 3 months with a broken arm - which just happens to be the rest of the season.

I forgot how much I hate this game :( 

Edit: 30 mins into the next game and the grey keeper I'm using also gets injured. This game man :mad: 

Clearly they haven’t adjusted the GK injury rates since the full release

1 hour ago, WhiteCat33 said:

Since you're referencing my post (and I have time this morning) figured I'd respond.

In my view there are 4 points of mentoring, in order of importance:

1. Personality & Media Handling Improvement:
  2. Player Trait Passing:
  3. Team Cohesion/Groups:
  4. Secondary Position Learning:

In my understanding, you can mentor any player under 24 through the mentoring groups. The older & more established the player is in the squad, the less likely their hidden personality attributes will change. This is displayed in the mentor window by how much influence the group has on them & they on the group.

Thus, for forming a mentoring group:

1. Include 1 Team Leader / Influential Player with a "Good" Personality + Media Handling who is 25+ years old.
  2. Include Squad players between U24 with close to or at the Good Personality who are at least competent in the Mentors position.
  3. Include any U20 players in the first team natural at the mentor's position with "Bad" Personalities.

For deciding if I'll mentor a young player I really only bother for bad personalities. If it is a good (but not great) personality like Fairly Ambitious or Fairly Professional I usually do not mentor the player unless there are player traits I want them to learn from the group. 

I tend to split this into positional groups: Strikers, Midfielders, Defenders & GKs. The only hard rule I have is GKs mentor together and not with field players. 

4 Points of Mentoring

1) For Personality I (like many in the thread) rank the top 3 hidden attributes as: 1 Professionalism ; 2 Ambition ; & 3 Determination. I only prioritize those three and leave the rest to chance. Why? Because those 3 have been shown to influence development the most. I always like to point to this statistical analysis: Ambition, determination & professionalism - FM Stats! The TLDR: For best results you want your youth players to have 15+ professionalism with Det & Ambition of at least 10. The gains above 10 for the secondary HAs is marginal.

Personality and Media Handling Spreadsheet Screenshots

Based on what I found online [Hidden Attribute Revealer - Google Sheets], this is the conversion sheet I'm using for Personalities & Media Handlings. Note: there are multiple cases where specific combinations (usually Determination values) will yield different results, but that's not necessary for having a general idea.

Table is in spoilers for those who don't want to know. When you combine Personality & Media handling you take the highest min & max values to build the new range:

Reveal hidden contents

Personality:

image.png.eab1965b2da1f027f93136c4770eccf1.png

image.png.ae84793cfff9338fc827dc161b59ec0b.png

Media Handling:

image.png.f7458acc75713c21f2c0af6e7e1da5b7.png

image.png.e4ff426df8535ead58f3a202717d396d.png

In my current save I'm taking a more "Model Citizen" approach for something different. As I'm in the late-game (20+ seasons) I have the benefit of lots of retired lower league players showing up as coaches, so there are a number of Model Citizens available (even for a minor nation like Barbados). If not Professional/Model Professional is my preference, followed by Resolute/Fairly Professional. Reason you see Balanced coaches is I can't find any good GK or Fitness coaches in the Caribbean so have to resort to poor personalities to have a skilled coach.

My Current Senior Staff:

Hide contents

image.png.7473c70da33a9bf011cf84dfe21c95ac.png

Current Reserve & Youth Staff:

Hide contents

Reserve

image.png.1857211c873d7e50a170d220eec0fd62.png

Youth [Notice I changed my U18 Head Coach]

image.png.e0fae29d1d7e90fa6d98efd09dca0dd2.png

In this save I've been going for more of a balance between Professionalism & Ambition, with a preference towards Model Citizen coaches when I can find them/keep them even though that is a lower minimum professionalism (15) than Professional (18).

The result I've noticed (compared to other saves) is the emergence of Perfectionist personality players. Usually, I end up developing Model Professionals out of my old players, but in this save I seem to have a lower Professionalism combined with higher Ambition. This has the negative of players are more likely to ask for release clauses & get upset when higher reputation leagues come for them, but so far it's worked out okay for me.

2) Player Trait Passing: I'm sure you know all about this as you'll see the notifications pop up. If you are looking to pass on rare / valuable traits that fit your system without negatively impacting player development this is the way to do it. 

In my save this is happening with my strikers. In this save, I decided to go with "Shoots with Power" for my strikers rather an "Placing Shots" because thematically I like the idea of big strong Pressing Forwards smashing the ball in. From a min/max perspective "Placing shots" is almost certainly better. Carrillo learned this and has passed it to both his Perfectionist mentees.

3) Team Cohesion/Groups: The one thing about the YAC that is nice is you never have issues with team cohesion as you don't have to get new players to fit into the existing squad. It is helpful to bring the next generation into the same groups as their position players they are replacing.

4) Position Learning: Being in the same mentoring group will sometimes increase the positions a player is competent at if they are adaptable enough. I honestly don't really pay attention to this, just make sure that the mentee player is at least partially competent in the natural position of the head mentor.

Building Mentor Group:

This gives me a good opportunity to go back through my data. A key point to mention here is in the spoilers the values I am showing are the average of the range that the combination of Personality + Media Handling generates.

Perfectionist: Carrillo & his Strikers

The Road View & Barbados Legend came through at the peak of a Golden Generation, already with his Perfectionist personality.

Hide contents

image.png.41e2136242d2d7eb6be1bcd4194d04f7.png

Naturally he was not mentored by anyone and I waited until he was fully a team leader and would get no impact from mentor groups before I formed his, which has consistently had our top 4 strikers in it for at least 5 years now. This is their current CA/HA:

Hide contents

image.png.174371844608ad8ca9893a835b0052f1.png

Romario Nurse & Ackeel Hoyte:

Hide contents

These two arrived together in 2041, both with very high ambition and okay determination. Within 2 years of joining I had formed the Mentor group with Carrillo and he could start rubbing off on them. He made a massive impact rising both Determation to 17, and increased Professionalism enough that then all 3 of the key attributes were over 17 to turn them Perfectionist.

image.png.e509869e38f5d029d620beff6978cbc5.png

Terence Soares:

Reveal hidden contents

The youngest and partial failure of mentoring. Specifically, he has probably lost Ambition, while he has gained Determination & Sportsmanship. However his Professionalism hasn't risen enough to bump him up beyond a low level.

image.png.ac995c433cebd33915368baa31aafd72.png

Spirited & Resolute: Mars & Croney WB/CMs

Croney & Mars, came through the same Golden Generation, just an intake earlier in 2034. You can see both showed up with pretty good HA, especially Professionalism. Mars was Spirited & Croney was Fairly Professional.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.6486ffdf617fc1b8e59ed59aff85fa7a.png

Today 

Reveal hidden contents

Both increased Determination somewhat and the range for Mars Professionalism widened up such that the average value is lower now. Its possible his professionalism dropped slightly as well, but it is still at least close to the target 15.

image.png.ee305bb1592f9b1936c368a405d88f3a.png

A really nice write up!

@fries and other Veterans of the Challenge: if you have anything to add / change about what I said about Mentoring & Personalities, now would be a good time to help out all the new Converts to the Youth Only way of FM! Don't want to start them down the wrong path.

@v1n1akabozo Glad it helps! Any questions, or you want more detail on the groups don't hesitate to ask.

One day I'll finally make longitudinal player analysis to track changes in CA & HA, but for now I'm enjoying the spot comparisons to see what (if any) changes I'm seeing over time of my players.

With Carrillo's Barbados retirement I may have started simulating a full Swiss database to take over a Lichtenstein team.... [Don't worry I won't be abandoning Barbados, but I miss the early game a bit]

I'm playing on FM23, but they've already released the FM24 mod if anyone else would like pain and suffering:

Edited by WhiteCat33

5 hours ago, Winski said:

Thank you! :D

Yeah, as I wrote in my post; I tried Sweden many times over the years, but never got that far. I really hope that I manage to survive our first season on the highest level!

great job and some very good youth players already ! good luck in your first season in the first tier now !

Question: Will we consider it valid to accept the lowest placed Lichtenstein team in the 7th tier of  Switzerland, even though they aren't near last? Not sure why but in my simulation all four of the Lichtenstein teams did very well with both Ruggell and Triesenberg Getting promoted up to Tier 6, and Triesen and Schaan sitting just outside of the promotion places.

Seems tedious to resim till one of these Lichtenstein teams gets dead-last in a full amateur tier this low in Switzerland.

image.png.6dad6fcfa6ee963dea1d8365590960e9.png