Player Development & Newgens

I ran a save to 2032 on FM Touch (which while it's obviously a smaller database, I believe used most of the same logic for stuff like player development etc).

The early signs aren't good.

Not a single newgen has made it into the top 3 of the GOAL50 awards, with Mbappé having won the last 6, and still holding a pace/acceleration of 18 at the age of 32.

Top teams and international sides also seem to still be chock full of 30+ year olds.

• 14 players in their 30's in the latest England squad (and only 2 players under the age of 24)
  • 20 in the latest France squad (and not a single player under 24).
  • 15 in the latest Italy squad

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, TopToffee said:

I ran a save to 2032 on FM Touch (which while it's obviously a smaller database, I believe used most of the same logic for stuff like player development etc).

The early signs aren't good.

Not a single newgen has made it into the top 3 of the GOAL50 awards, with Mbappé having won the last 6, and still holding a pace/acceleration of 18 at the age of 32.

Top teams and international sides also seem to still be chock full of 30+ year olds.

• 14 players in their 30's in the latest England squad (and only 2 players under the age of 24)
  • 20 in the latest France squad (and not a single player under 24).
  • 15 in the latest Italy squad

Can't see me playing another FM23 save if it's still as a bad as before. 

1 hour ago, ZEBEDEU said:

Have you noticed any issues with those files on this update? I ask you this because I noticed that Daveincid said on another thread that some of his files aren't compatible with this version.

I couldn't continue my old save with this problem, and I'm in the midst of FM addiction, so I couldn't help but start a save up pre-winter update. So I don't know. I start unemployed so transfer updates etc not essential for me really. 

Edited by numbas2

55 minutes ago, LeoFM said:

Another detail: fullbacks not developing their crossing and dribbling attributes is STILL A THING! At the start there are 210 players between the ages of 23-24 with 12+ crossing and dribbling. 10 years later, this number is astonishingly 13 players! That's a 94% decrease!

That's insane. My 180 PA regen that started of with first-team stats at 17 years old actually dropped(!) 3 points in crossing over 3 years

1 hour ago, LeoFM said:

Some observations from your save:

• Another detail: fullbacks not developing their crossing and dribbling attributes is STILL A THING! At the start there are 210 players between the ages of 23-24 with 12+ crossing and dribbling. 10 years later, this number is astonishingly 13 players! That's a 94% decrease!

That’s insane and game breaking. 

1 hour ago, LeoFM said:

Another detail: fullbacks not developing their crossing and dribbling attributes is STILL A THING! At the start there are 210 players between the ages of 23-24 with 12+ crossing and dribbling. 10 years later, this number is astonishingly 13 players! That's a 94% decrease!

We've complained about this as far back as FM17 ffs. :D

Absolutely disappointed with this game. Completely ruins long term save. Its simply not viable and you can't overlook this. 

It's been many years and still no fix for this. No faith this will be fixed for fm24. 

4 ore fa, LeoFM ha scritto:

This has been a problem since FM 2010 probably. I cannot understand how difficult can it be to just fix something like this. In the last ten years we made big strides in medicine, technology, AI, but somehow it seems impossible to give decent dribbling and crossing to a fullback. 

Ridicolous honestly, just ridicoulous.

14 hours ago, LeoFM said:
  • It should be said that development wise, there does not seem to be a major difference between the number of 150+ CA players. So the top quality newgens are there.
    The 34% decrease in 130+ CA players is a bit concerning though. 

I'm glad at the least CA growth has improved. It was pretty bad seeing 190+ rated 21  year olds in the reserves with 120 CA.

I think the fullback thing is another issue. I believe that because most teams put full backs in the defensive unit, they are not getting any crossing training at all, causing it to decline.

I've seen 19 years old getting a call up for some squads like Italy and Germany in my 2028 save. That would never happen in the previous patch. They were called after the update.

On 03/03/2023 at 21:59, StevehFC said:

That’s insane and game breaking. 

Insane that this is in the game for multiple years now and us loyal players are still believe that sometime this might be fixed with a patch. Trust is hard to earn but easy to lose :). 

1 hour ago, marioNOW said:

Insane that this is in the game for multiple years now and us loyal players are still believe that sometime this might be fixed with a patch. Trust is hard to earn but easy to lose :). 

Learnt my lesson this year. Won't be getting another penny from me until these issues are fixed. 

Wouldn't blame anyone if they used the in-game editor for stuff like this. 

15 hours ago, StevehFC said:

Wouldn't blame anyone if they used the in-game editor for stuff like this. 

One could argue it's a neccessity....wonder why it keeps going up in price every year?  Beta test the game for us, tell us about issues we don't care about and won't/can't fix (because after years, it's one or the other isn't it?)...oh and give us your hard earned for an editor so you can fix them yourself....

16 hours ago, andu1 said:

I've seen 19 years old getting a call up for some squads like Italy and Germany in my 2028 save. That would never happen in the previous patch. They were called after the update.

Yep, has defo been a tiny tiny improvement where you now see the odd few getting picked. Where as before hand before this patch there was a cut off where players under 24 would not get picked.

Still way off from where it should be though. Compared to real life. 

And though some nations now get younger players in their squads from my saves I notice some nations like France still don't get younger players in their squad. 

This is not a trivial issue to fix. It requires major rework on manager AI which has been lacking for a while now. AI Manager's team selection and transfers needs a major overhaul to add more challenges. It's easy to win UCL after 5-6 seasons repeatedly because all AI managed teams gets worse overtime, which completely kills any immersion.  It makes the game way too static and makes me feel like everything revolves around me which is not a true simulation.

Edited by TheAwesomeGem

hace 1 hora, TheAwesomeGem dijo:

This is not a trivial issue to fix. It requires major rework on manager AI which has been lacking for a while now. AI Manager's team selection and transfers needs a major overhaul to add more challenges. It's easy to win UCL after 5-6 seasons repeatedly because all AI managed teams gets worse overtime, which completely kills any immersion.  It makes the game way too static and makes me feel like everything revolves around me which is not a true simulation.

They have this issue reported since beginning of 2022 at least. There is any excuse

2 minutes ago, albertocerdeira.4 said:

They have this issue reported since beginning of 2022 at least. There is any excuse

I agree, please upload examples to SI showing it. I found the one you created earlier, but you haven't uploaded any save to SI, so your issue is still open without saves. They asked for a save in December, so please provide one.

The more examples SI have for this, the more they can fine tune it.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

I agree, please upload examples to SI showing it. I found the one you created earlier, but you haven't uploaded any save to SI, so your issue is still open without saves. They asked for a save in December, so please provide one.

The more examples SI have for this, the more they can fine tune it.

I get that it's easier to debug an issue with the specific conditions it happened in, but if this is a widespread issue as it seems like it's been forever, holidaying a game isn't very hard. This is a large game balance issue, it shouldn't need specific users to send savegames, it should be noticeable in any internal test savegames.

Edited by noikeee

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

I get that it's easier to debug an issue with the specific conditions it happened in, but if this is a widespread issue as it seems like it's been forever, holidaying a game isn't very hard. This is a large game balance issue, it shouldn't need specific users to send savegames, it should be noticeable in any internal test savegames.

I agree, but I always think that more bug reports and more saves showing the issue will at the very least put the issue higher up on SI's priority. That's why I point people there. For me this is one of the biggest issues in FM at the moment, so I'm not at all disagreeing with anyone here.

53 minutes ago, StevehFC said:

Doing a holiday save and would say after one year the youth players development is good enough. 

Interesting - is the AI playing youth? Is this a problem that’s more representative of how little attention SI have given national teams v. clubs? 

On 04/03/2023 at 18:56, TheAwesomeGem said:

So nothing was fixed yet again...

Back to playing Fifa 23 which has better AI squad management.

Would you say FIFA actually delivers a more realistic experience at this point than FM? Serious question. I used to play FIFA religiously, but stopped several years ago. 

1 hour ago, zachalxnder said:

Interesting - is the AI playing youth? Is this a problem that’s more representative of how little attention SI have given national teams v. clubs? 

More youngsters seem to be playing. For my team in my holiday save, their’s players who had 85 CA at the start of my save who went out on loan and 18 months into the save are over 105 for CA at the age of 17 and 18. 

1 hour ago, StevehFC said:

More youngsters seem to be playing. For my team in my holiday save, their’s players who had 85 CA at the start of my save who went out on loan and 18 months into the save are over 105 for CA at the age of 17 and 18. 

Beginning to think this problem is also a symptom of a lack of care towards national team management … not as concerned if there has been an improvement across clubs 

54 minutes ago, zachalxnder said:

Beginning to think this problem is also a symptom of a lack of care towards national team management … not as concerned if there has been an improvement across clubs 

Think going by my holiday save so far. Youngsters do improve a lot better in this update. Think the issue is more to do with national team management like you said. 

1 hour ago, StevehFC said:

Think going by my holiday save so far. Youngsters do improve a lot better in this update. Think the issue is more to do with national team management like you said. 

This also tracks with my experience. It also explains why the problem is more pronounced when users illustrate it via national team squads. Further, if SI are less likely to tinker with international play, then it makes sense why that problem still persists. 

56 minutes ago, zachalxnder said:

This also tracks with my experience. It also explains why the problem is more pronounced when users illustrate it via national team squads. Further, if SI are less likely to tinker with international play, then it makes sense why that problem still persists. 

After testing the holiday save. It's worth starting a new save with the update. Only usually play for around 5 or seasons anyway. 

3 hours ago, StevehFC said:

After testing the holiday save. It's worth starting a new save with the update. Only usually play for around 5 or seasons anyway. 

I started an Arsenal save. Interested to see how things look when I’m deeper down the line 

On 04/03/2023 at 06:22, Robioto said:

Some of these findings are worse than my own.

I think it may have to be back to FM21...

how is fm21 compared to current fm? Is it worth going back to it? Are there any things that you might miss on?

4 hours ago, Socerer 01 said:

how is fm21 compared to current fm? Is it worth going back to it? Are there any things that you might miss on?

In FM21 players under 24 increase in CA much faster, although after 24 that's basically it, whereas in FM22/23 the progression is much slower but also can improve players past 24.

Also, in FM21 older players basically drop off a cliff after 30, whereas in FM22/23 players can last well into their 30s, although it's possible they went too much in the opposite direction.

As a result, FM21 AI replaces it's older players with younger players constantly, although 30 year olds decline too rapidly.

FM21 still has the same issues with newgen attributes (full backs with low crossing).

I don't know whether you would really see a difference between FM21 and FM23 other than noticing the average ages of squads are different, now that they've at least fixed young players getting game time. Not to say there isn't problems but FM22 is where the problem was really bad.

Edited by Dotsworthy

On 03/03/2023 at 17:55, SupraFlush said:

Hey all! Finally back, and with the save for 2032 done for those interested. I won't have the time to check it out today, but someone else might be interested in it or just want to play a bit in the future

https://www.mediafire.com/file/a5r7988aa57mysk/FM_Holiday_Save_-_2032.fm/file

This is unrelated but 6 teams in the champions league in 2032....

Screenshot2023-03-07115910.png.e398fb2111a8c1de47a8d0ef506acc87.png

One problem with fullbacks/wingbacks is that if you set their individual training to train Crossing, they'll start to complaining about "individual training is not beneficial" or "unhappy with individual training". That happens almost every time. So it's pretty much impossible to get them improve crossing.

• 4 months later...
On 03/03/2023 at 13:07, numbas2 said:

Fantastic that this has generated so much noise.

I've actually started a new save with @Daveincid database, last Friday, pre-data update (I just couldn't wait...) and hope to avoid these issues to some extent.

Unfortunately this save has pretty much died by 2035. I can't find the players who are good enough to maintain my team and the youngsters are no where to be seen. I'm gutted all over again as long term saves are my thing.

• 3 months later...