How much have you already forgotten about the World Cup

Pompeyboyz

We are only 9 days since the World Cup Final and this morning I was already struggling to remember much about the event. 

Yes, I can recall the Final and Semi Finals, but then with the Quarters and first knock out stage, I can't honestly remember all that much.

Anyone else already lost it for this.

Might go down as one of the more exciting but is it the more memorable?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Pompeyboyz said:

Might go down as one of the more exciting but is it the more memorable?

No. 

Think the emotion involved makes a huge difference when it comes to remembering. 

I can remember the odd bit from each tournament if I think hard enough, have a fondness for WC98 over others but then that was my first WC as a kid.

As much as I love the World Cup it just doesn't hold a legacy. None of them do. Eventually you remember certain bits of different World Cups but this one will be forgotten about as quickly as the others until the next one.

It's why I don't agree with people that were worried that Qatar would benefit off the back of this. They won't, they're not going to take over the world because they put on a successful World Cup, they'll take over the world because they're absolutely ****ing minted :D 

*Should say when I say the tournament doesn't carry a legacy I mean for football and the outside world in general, the tournament itself doesn't change a thing. It didn't do anything for Africa and it won't do anything for Qatar. The legacy comes from teams, players and individual moments. They will be remembered, not Qatar 2022 itself.

8 minutes ago, Weezer said:

In the long-term it won't make a dent on their plans. 

That's not why they are hosting it though. Just as the main reason brands advertise is to put their names into your mind, Qatar will have some legitimacy and recognition merely by hosting the world cup, and not locking up any journalists etc

I don't think any sensible people are suggesting that the excitement of the football makes any difference to the Qatari legacy.

The money they make from oil and gas buys their recognition and partners, not a showpiece event that they bought just because they wanted to that will be mostly forgotten in 12 months. Businesses will eventually move there because that's been Qatar's plan for years, they've been spending billions on non-World Cup projects, not because everybody had a good time at the World Cup.

5 hours ago, Weezer said:

The money they make from oil and gas buys their recognition and partners, not a showpiece event that they bought just because they wanted to that will be mostly forgotten in 12 months. Businesses will eventually move there because that's been Qatar's plan for years, they've been spending billions on non-World Cup projects, not because everybody had a good time at the World Cup.

The awarding of the World Cup was the bigger accelerant to Qatar rather than the 4 weeks of hosting. The last 12 years have been more important than the next 12 years will be.

Ultimately every World Cup is largely forgettable and will be mostly remembered for a few iconic moments rather than as a tournament as a whole. Every tournament has that one major association imo. 06 was Zidane, 10 was Nigel de Jong's assault on Xabi Alonso, 14 was 7-2, 18 was really forgtettable imo, Croatia's run probably the most remembered part of it all but maybe someone can think of something more associated, idk. 

Point being, this WC will be remembered for Messi winning it. The rest will be largely forgotten. 

12 hours ago, Weezer said:

The emir wanted that WC checkmark though and that's why Saudi Arabia wants one now as well. Rich people one-upping each other.

But apart from that, WC was not memorable apart from Messi finally winning it.

5 hours ago, JD nawrat said:

Ultimately every World Cup is largely forgettable and will be mostly remembered for a few iconic moments rather than as a tournament as a whole. Every tournament has that one major association imo. 06 was Zidane, 10 was Nigel de Jong's assault on Xabi Alonso, 14 was 7-2, 18 was really forgtettable imo, Croatia's run probably the most remembered part of it all but maybe someone can think of something more associated, idk. 

7-1?

11 hours ago, Wolf_pd said:

The emir wanted that WC checkmark though and that's why Saudi Arabia wants one now as well. Rich people one-upping each other.

But apart from that, WC was not memorable apart from Messi finally winning it.

7-1?

Typo :D 

On 28/12/2022 at 02:19, JD nawrat said:

Point being, this WC will be remembered for Messi winning it. The rest will be largely forgotten. 

Think you prove your own point with not only getting the Maracanazo score wrong but also forgetting everything about 18  :D 

18 wasn't the greatest ever World Cup but saw the emergence of Mbappe, Croatia's run to a really entertaining final, a particularly hilarious German exit (saved themselves with a 95th minute freekick in one game, went out to 94th and 96th minute calamity goals in the next), a 4-3 France/Argentina knockout game and the Belgium vs Japan madness, Russia dumping Spain out amongst a few shootouts and of course St Gareth bringing the waistcoat back into fashion. Even a game as terrible as Iran v Spain produced this meme-orable moment

I think Morocco's run to the semi finals will go the same way as most of those memories, never mind the individual upsets and good games and group stage drama. Saudi Arabia beating the winners might make a good pub quiz question, I guess.

50 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Think you prove your own point with not only getting the Maracanazo score wrong but also forgetting everything about 18  :D 

18 wasn't the greatest ever World Cup but saw the emergence of Mbappe, Croatia's run to a really entertaining final, a particularly hilarious German exit (saved themselves with a 95th minute freekick in one game, went out to 94th and 96th minute calamity goals in the next), a 4-3 France/Argentina knockout game and the Belgium vs Japan madness, Russia dumping Spain out amongst a few shootouts and of course St Gareth bringing the waistcoat back into fashion. Even a game as terrible as Iran v Spain produced this meme-orable moment

I think Morocco's run to the semi finals will go the same way as most of those memories, never mind the individual upsets and good games and group stage drama. Saudi Arabia beating the winners might make a good pub quiz question, I guess.

To be fair i knew it was 7-1, i just pressed the wrong number :D i watched that game in a crowded pub in Glasgow with my mate and neither of us (tbh nobody in the whole pub) could believe what we were watching :lol: