Match 30: Korea Republic vs Ghana 13:00 GMT, Education City Stadium

The_jagster

A second classic of the day? Based on their attacking intent in round 1 I wouldn't count on it but who knows...

Thank you Ghanaian FA for producing a clean line-up pic

Ghana.jpg.aa2e6beee217e3f63876c8dd8e92b719.jpg

KR.thumb.jpg.b35cc2ca209e88764da94bda01ab7b61.jpg

Their World Cups so far?

Korea drew 0-0 with Uruguay, Ghana lost to Portugal. Probably both teams' best chance of a win.

History at the World Cup?

Korea: Once finished fourth as hosts knocking out Italy and Spain but have only got to the knockouts on one other occasion

Ghana: a Luis Suarez hand and width of the crossbar away from the semi-finals in 2010 despite only qualifying in 2006 for the first time where they also got to the knockouts. In a weird quirk they've faced the USA at every previous tournament but didn't qualify in 2018.

Previous meetings?

Sites seem to differ on exactly how many but 4 friendlies this century. Ghana have the better recent record including a 2014 4-0 win in Miami where Jordan Ayew scored a hat-trick, an event worthy of an immediate sacking for the opponent's manager imo. (The video says HD, it is not HD).

No idea what else was at this stadium or what it looks like but expect to hear a lot of cheering when Son touches the ball, I only saw the second half of Ghana's first match and missed the Korean one so I have no idea who to look out for beyond the big names.

Music?

Search for your own K-pop of choice

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I reckon South Korea will win as well. Ghana had a couple of good spells against Portugal (Kudus is ace :cool:), but I don't rate their defence.

Looking forward to the BBC once again promoting South Korea as 'Son Heung-Min plus 10 others'. :rolleyes:

Ghana were much better when they moved Kudus further forward in their first game so if their manager has any sense he'll keep that going. 

Hopefully Ghana get something from the game so that their game vs Uruguay has something on the line for them after that absolute classic at the 2010 WC.

26 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Yeah, I reckon South Korea will win as well. Ghana had a couple of good spells against Portugal (Kudus is ace :cool:), but I don't rate their defence.

Looking forward to the BBC once again promoting South Korea as 'Son Heung-Min plus 10 others'. :rolleyes:

In mitigation, my World Soccer preview is headlined 'Reliant on Son'. It's difficult to see where else they are getting their attacking drive from, although at least it's not so bad that Wolves' Hwang is in the first XI.

21 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Who in your opinion are the best refs in Europe?

Honestley no idea. The only non british ref names that came to mind were Daniele orsato(who isn't the guy I thought he was*) and cuneyt cakir (I had to Google Turkish referee to find out his surname and turns out he's no longer a ref anyway)

I don't know if not knowing the names of referees is because I watch less football than I used to or because they're better at not being the centre of attention when they make mistakes (although people blaming var rather than refs directly might also be a factor)

*I thought Roberto rosetti was orsato.  Rosetti is also no longer an active referee

Edited by Mickybricks14

Just now, CFuller said:

Jonathan Pearce in favour of more stoppage time for time-wasting. He actually likes something new. :eek:

Whereas Dublin also likes it and likes that players can't get away with timewasting but doesn't want it in the Premier League because.. reasons