The game is too easy again...

23 minutes ago, Dotsworthy said:

This year, I am going to avoid reading anything on the tactics forum, and do some sort of attributeless/stat challenge with no star ratings. 

I'm intrigued by this - but I still think there ideally needs to be some layer of attribute rating to properly assess a player. Just more ambiguous than we have currently so there's less certainty on how good a player definitively is so you're less likely to completely write-off a number of players on day one. 

There needs to be something less detailed that replicates the 'eye-test', as performance stats alone can never give a full picture of a players ability or weaknesses. In real life you can observe and identify a good player with potential even if his underlying stats aren't impressive. 

Obvious solution to that would be watching the match engine footage to make an appraisal - but that just seems far too intensive currently. In the future I would love to see scouts provide video reels of prospective targets, not just their highlights but maybe a compilation of all their specific actions from a sample of games.

Or even deeper allow us to observe training drills in the engine to assess using our own eyes. Finishing drills, set-piece drills, attack vs defence, 6 v 6, speed drills, weight progression, rondos. I realise this is far too niche for most of the userbase who prefer  quicker progression, but for me would be an absolute dream. Getting more involvement in the the day to day running of the club would increase immersion immeasurably. 

Edited by dannyfc

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Harrymcintyre said:

If genegerpress is too OP, then maybe try to win using different tactics. I am actively experimenting a lot these 2 weeks with what kinda works and what doesn’t with tactics that isn’t just gengerpressing. 

Yeah, not used genenpressing for a few years as agree it's OP.

14 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

Do you even read the points people have made?

- if you play as Liverpool, who should win one or two league titles out of four and  maybe 1-in-10 Champions Leagues in real life, it's very easy to win every league title and most Champions Leagues

Obviously Liverpool should win more matches than Villa, but they shouldn't be able to win the league every season.

If you don't find the game too easy, this isn't a discussion you need to be involved in.

The only season that's true for is the first one - and even then only if you disable the first transfer window and are realistic about signings in January.  After that Liverpool's historic performance is irrelevant. You're just a big, rich club competeiing for the same pool of players as the other big, rich clubs.  

2 minutes ago, Ferocious289 said:

Why dont you try taking over the same club as that reddit guy and see if you can win 10 CL's in a row since you're so good at the game?

I think in FM 2020 I managed a mid-table Israeli team which got one of the lowest budgets in the league and managed to win the CL after like 9 years, I can't say it wasn't a challenge at first but after 5 seasons or so I was cruising and got bored after that. I stopped playing after I won the CL.

5 minutes ago, Harrymcintyre said:

If genegerpress is too OP, then maybe try to win using different tactics. I am actively experimenting a lot these 2 weeks with what kinda works and what doesn’t with tactics that isn’t just gengerpressing. 

I could do that but I like gegnpress. Instead of the players urging SI to fix it you suggest the players avoid it? What??

Anyway, last year I played tiki taka style and it was too easy too.

9 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

I go back to my earlier point. Your argument is like kids in the lower maths set at school saying there's absolutely no need for a higher maths set as they already find the basic maths hard enough. Some of us just found maths easy, man. Doesn't make us better human beings, we just find it easy and would like an appropriate challenge.

Why are you acting like you're some Albert Einstein unique special  breed of genius because you won the title with Manchester United?

If you want a challenge start the game unemployed with no badges,or try working your way with a low to mid table club and then when you've won your 10 champions leagues in a row, which you haven't even shown pictures of you doing 10 seasons on the beta, then back come here and cry

Edited by Ferocious289

8 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

BTW I think United is the perfect example for this thread to make my point.

This team been struggling for years, finishing as low as 6 or even 7 ten years ago. But I can take control of the team and with minimal effort win the treble in my first season.

That's because their problems are not quality of player, or even manager, it's about the internal politics at the club and especially the relationships between players, Something that Ten Hag actually seems to be slowly addressing.  The problem for FM is that these kind of relations are extremely difficult to reproduce; interpersonal chemistry in teams, whether sport, or a band, or in an office is a very difficult thing to analyse let alone reproduce.

If you were to write a game from scratch using AI generated players you could incorporate a hidden personality matrix that would determine compatibility between players*, but that's not something FM can impose on real world players and would be near impossible for researchers to determine.

* but even then, as with FM's hidden attribute, people just use editors to see what they are.

13 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

I go back to my earlier point. Your argument is like kids in the lower maths set at school saying there's absolutely no need for a higher maths set as they already find the basic maths hard enough. Some of us just found maths easy, man. Doesn't make us better human beings, we just find it easy and would like an appropriate challenge.

Actually it's more like 3 or 4 kids in the 30 student top set already, wanting there to be another class just for them.

Edited by rp1966

3 минуты назад, SergeiG сказал:

Для меня это выглядит довольно реалистично, так как Chelase теперь мусор LOL

В любом случае, на один скриншот сложно ответить.

image.png.88dba8a3b702f549c3153c78efa7c7fd.pngизображение.thumb.png.cb41033d5da33cc8e167bbf35b42f2f3.png

Edited by bahmet

1 minute ago, rp1966 said:

That's because their problems are not quality of player, or even manager, it's about the internal politics at the club and especially the relationships between players, Something that Ten Hag actually seems to be slowly addressing.  The problem for FM is that these kind of relations are extremely difficult to reproduce; interpersonal chemistry in teams, whether sport, or a band, or in an office is a very difficult thing to analyse let alone reproduce.

If you were to write a game from scratch using AI generated players you could incorporate a hidden personality matrix that would determine compatibility between players*, but that's not something FM can impose on real world players and would be near impossible for researchers to determine.

* but even then, as with FM's hidden attribute, people just use editors to see what they are.

Are you sure about that???

United played with McFred forever, No real stickers, rubbish defense, overpriced old players like Sanchez and Phil Jones is still at the club.

9 minutes ago, Ferocious289 said:

Why are you acting like you're some Albert Einstein unique special  breed of genius because you won the title with Manchester United?

If you want a challenge start the game unemployed with no badges,or try working your way with a low to mid table club and then when you've won your 10 champions leagues in a row, which you haven't even shown pictures of you doing 10 seasons on the beta, then back come here and cry

I've not played as Utd, you've got me confused with the guy that started the thread. It's almost like you're not actually reading the comments and just saying what you want to say, irrespective of where the discussion is actually going. I imagine that mentiality could hold a person back in life?

This is the argument in a nutshell: lots of us massively overperform in the game (as in, every time we play the game we do unrealistically well with whichever team we play as) and would like the game to be better to make this not possible. For those that don't massively overperform, you don't need to concern yourself with this.

When I used to play Fifa, I was decent and played at maybe a medium level but there were lots of players that were a lot better than me. I was OK with that. I didn't argue they should have their top difficulty level taken away as I didn't need it.

Edited by dannysheard

2 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

I've not played as Utd, you've got me confused with the guy that started the thread. It's almost like you're not actually reading the comments and just saying what you want to say, irrespectively of where the discussion is actually going. I imagine that mentiality could hold a person back in life?

This is the argument in a nutshell: lots of us massively overperform in the game (as in, every time we play the game we do unrealistically well with whichever team we play as) and would like the game to be better to make this not possible. For those that don't massively overperform, you don't need to concern yourself with this.

When I used to play Fifa, I was decent and played at maybe a medium level but there were lots of players that were a lot better than me. I was OK with that. I didn't argue they should have their top difficulty level taken away as I didn't need it.

Oh sorry you play as Liverpool who are predicted to compete or win the league, and you are massively overperforming by winning the league.

Like I said take other another team like Arsenal, spurs, or try chelsea like the guy above who is 6th and see if you win the league every season and 10 CL's league titles in a row, which you haven't even showed screenshots of.

Almost if you're afraid of taking on a real challenge and getting  away from your comfort zone, which can often mentally hold a person back in life

5 minutes ago, bahmet said:

image.thumb.png.cb41033d5da33cc8e167bbf35b42f2f3.png

My tactics are slightly different. And I got Scalvini is January(I was using Lord Maguire before that) and I am doing fine:

image.png.f0effc79dc36ec1f22fbf2753650d525.png

I do a lot of team cohesion training and rotate the squad regularly to let people rest and not overload the donkeys.

All of my Europa League games I played the bench

12 hours ago, Matt_1979 said:

Here you go. You’re welcome. 

This should come as an option in preferences imo.  Being able to see at a glance  players main attributes is probably one of the fundamental factors as to why the game gets the 'its too easy' tag.  Its so easy to squad build.  I haven't played 21, 22, or 23, but there used to be an option to remove numbered attributes and replace them with bars so you only got a vague idea of what a players strengths and weaknesses were (not sure if that's still a thing?), but there should be more options to add more ambiguity to them, or even mask them completely.  I've used an attribute-hiding skin since the FM2015 days and it makes squad building more challenging as you have to rely on other features to get an idea of how useful a new signing will be (like his match stats, ratings, scout report, and even by going to watch him play in a match where you can judge him for yourself).  The ME has improved lot since the FM15 days so judging players on how they perform on the pitch in glorious 3d should be much easier these days.

But all of this is old school management and squad building.  It becomes a long term thing,  Its not for SI's overwhelming audience who just want to win things ASAP.  It takes a lot for someone whose had all the stats and facts handed to them on a sliver plate for the past 15 years for them to change the way they approach a new save.   But yes, more options in preferences to either hide attributes, or add far more ambiguity to them is one thing that has been requested for years.  SI can't win either way, so they will always make it 'easy'. And the game comes in easy mode by default by providing the player with all the tools and stats they need to build their squad to overcome the subpar AI ASAP.  Can you imagine the complaints on here if everyone was getting hammered week in week out, even with the best teams!

TL/DR: There needs to be more options built into the game that make handicapping yourself easier.  No one should have to create crappy tactics or play players out of position to get a challenge (as someone mentioned on this thread!).

Edited by Erimus1876

21 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

The thing is, I don't remember FM being so easy when I started playing. I think after 2019 or so the AI became extra stupid.

I didn't notice it, but maybe didn't looking this ;)

28 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

after getting to the championship after some years I was just stuck there for years, fighting relegation battles for like 3-4 years and another 5 to get to mid-table

FM22 was the first in last many years, that I won promotion two tiers up. (I play HC mode, so don't use search player - just scouting, I'm sunday league player, no licence at the start etc.). I begun in Spanish 5th tier, in eight years was promoted to 3rd, relegated to 4th after one season and after another two promoted - just a few minutes after beta was released ;) - once again to the 3rd. But it was first time in many years - much often my teams were relegated. So I can't say it's too easy.

But I understand, that there is a few players, who need more challenging game. So - fight for it :D Greets :)

For everyone who says the game is too easy (or too hard for that matter) it would be much more helpful for both the community and the developers to describe in detail exactly how you are playing various aspects of the game.  Especially during the Beta phase.

For example - Do you sim/holiday through seasons?  What level of detail have you selected for leagues/nations (which affects which match engine is used)?  How do you play matches (instant result or watching each match) and to what level of highlights?  Detail your tactical system (screenshots).  How do you manage your squad?  Which club are you playing with and what are your Board’s expected results?  What transfers have you made?  How do you handle Training?  What responsibilities do you delegate?  Etc etc…

If you are finding the game too easy, ideally start a thread in the Bugs forum, detail all of that and upload your game save to let the devs review it in detail 👍.

Disable first transfer windows so you can’t immediately plug any holes in your team, or spend £20m on that player you know is awesome. 

and the “what if I want to quick buy a striker” comment is still making me laugh. 

Edited by Matt_1979

5 minutes ago, Matt_1979 said:

Disable first transfer windows so you can’t immediately plug any holes in your team, or spend £20m on that player you know is awesome. 

and the “what if I want to quick buy a striker” comment is still making me laugh. 

I seldom buy star players anyway.

In my first window I got Andreas Schjelderup and let him play in the Europa League to develop. I plan for the future you see?

3 minutes ago, Matt_1979 said:

I always disable first transfer window and never buy players unless my scouts 'find 'them. So I won't sign Endrick for Liverpool, even though I know he's very good, until my scouts naturally find him. And I don't sack all my scouts and hire five-star replacements or anything unrealstic like that.

My 'what if I want to buy a quick striker' comment was in response to the 'solution' of hiding all attributes which isn't realistic. In the real world, a manager might well want a quick forward to play a particular tactic, and they wouldn't say to their scouts, get a load of forwards in for me to look at and I'll watch them sprint to work out which ones might be appropriate for my tactic.

Do you not find the game easy? And just for clarification, easy doesn't mean winning the Champions League in the first season (as that's impossible with 99% of teams in the game). Easy is overperforming expectations (whatever they are for that team) every season.

13 minutes ago, herne79 said:

For everyone who says the game is too easy (or too hard for that matter) it would be much more helpful for both the community and the developers to describe in detail exactly how you are playing various aspects of the game.  Especially during the Beta phase.

For example - Do you sim/holiday through seasons?  What level of detail have you selected for leagues/nations (which affects which match engine is used)?  How do you play matches (instant result or watching each match) and to what level of highlights?  Detail your tactical system (screenshots).  How do you manage your squad?  Which club are you playing with and what are your Board’s expected results?  What transfers have you made?  How do you handle Training?  What responsibilities do you delegate?  Etc etc…

If you are finding the game too easy, ideally start a thread in the Bugs forum, detail all of that and upload your game save to let the devs review it in detail 👍.

Unfortunately, we can't even get to that point of the conversation without being shut down by the 'you can't play as Utd or Liverpool or City or Spurs or Chelsea or Arsenal' squad. The 'humblebrag' brigade.

Or get called a cheat.

4 minutes ago, Harrymcintyre said:

Nobody is saying you can’t play with the top 6, but when you run through a season barely losing, what did really you expect? If you struggled as them to win then you’d be arguing the other way, that the game is too hard. 

Really? When and where did I do that? Please don't put words in my mouth or pretend to know what I think.

1 hour ago, dannyfc said:

I'm intrigued by this - but I still think there ideally needs to be some layer of attribute rating to properly assess a player. Just more ambiguous than we have currently so there's less certainty on how good a player definitively is so you're less likely to completely write-off a number of players on day one. 

Using a skin that replaces attributes with an icon (such as a star) so you can only see the attribute colour is a nice middle ground. 

You can see if a player has attributes that stand out as a strength or a weakness but you don't see the exact gradation between two defenders.

4 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

Really? When and where did I do that? Please don't put words in my mouth or pretend to know what I think.

I don't think this is going to happen, mate, either making the game more difficult or introducing difficulty levels.

Some players thar are overachieving massively are happy with it as it makes them feel good and the players that are not so good and don't overachieve don't want to accept that they're not as good at the game.

2 minutes ago, Dotsworthy said:

Using a skin that replaces attributes with an icon (such as a star) so you can only see the attribute colour is a nice middle ground. 

You can see if a player has attributes that stand out as a strength or a weakness but you don't see the exact gradation between two defenders.

I'd still want to know if someone is Joe Gomez rapid or Kyle Walker rapid, though. Escpecially at the elite-team level. Having both showing as just quick isn't really enough.

30 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

My 'what if I want to buy a quick striker' comment was in response to the 'solution' of hiding all attributes which isn't realistic. 

Trust your scouts, thats what real managers do.

They ask for a striker with pace, wait for the scouts to highlight one or two, and then judge based on other things.

For us i suspect you could ask for a certain type of striker to narrow it down to quick ones.

You will get things wrong but thats the point really, its too easy to make everything right as the human player.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

I don't think this is going to happen, mate, either making the game more difficult or introducing difficulty levels.

Some players thar are overachieving massively are happy with it as it makes them feel good and the players that are not so good and don't overachieve don't want to accept that they're not as good at the game.

That's fine, I think adding difficulty should be optional like in CIV. I don't believe in forcing things on people.

I'm getting dejavu too. I've only played 6 matches on my Bristol City save, who are not one of the stronger teams in the league, won 6, conceded 1, with a very slightly modified base 4-1-2-3.

I had zero preseason as I always turn the first transfer window off and start from the first match of the season so familiarity is low and I've not bothered to set up training properly yet. I'm basically clicking continue to win.

And before the sample size brigade get on my back. I'll follow up this post at the end of my first season with more data.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Trust your scouts, thats what real managers do.

Ask for a striker with pace, wait for the scouts to highlight one or two, and then judge based on other things.

You will get things wrong but thats the point really, its too easy to make everything right as the human player.

When Ten Hag got Anthony and Martinez he didn't scout them.

Football manager IRL watch TV, read the news, watch YouTube, play against or with certain players(like Malacia in Ten Hags case). I don't think it's very realistic to stop searching for players.

5 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

That's fine, I think adding difficulty should be optional like in CIV. I don't believe in forcing things on people.

I agree difficulty levels should be optional. But it's always the ones that don't need it (that are not finding it easy) that argue against it for some reason.

Nice to see my tweets get shared about :D

I can see both sides of the “discussion” (let’s not call it an argument)
If you play any game for a long time you pick up things that work etc and carry them across yearly releases so there’s a chance the game feels “easy” which is natural.
As for SI needing to make the game harder/add difficulty levels Miles has said before on different podcasts etc that the hardcore are a small % of the market so they need to cater for all. 
We do have difficulty levels in the game anyway, when you start at Man United/Liverpool are you starting with full coaching badges and experience? Setting both of these to lowest setting at a high club is supposed to increase the difficulty. 

The removal of the attribute bars seems to have caused a bit of an outcry over the past few years of similar threads but after a while you could tell on the bars the attributes anyway, I know some people have started adding stars to the attribute panel 

39A4B799-AF28-42A7-B6FB-13172852A9AC.thumb.jpeg.c71c84acf22e16bda9ff1dac57921c78.jpeg

Which could help make it harder in regards to signing players etc. 
Ive gone fully attributeless and starless, which you can read about here.. 

https://www.viewfromthetouchline.com/2022/09/12/a-dan-gear-fm23-save-reveal/

This is my own way of increasing the difficulty plus trusting the staff with signings of players and staff. 

In regards to how can I tell a player is quick, scout and coach reports will tell you this plus you can search certain metrics to help. For me personally I feel the attribute scoring is unrealistic and outdated anyway. I hardly doubt the staff at a club are there scoring players Crossing 14 or 15 and in the game does that one attribute score matter?

Also over the years we have all gained better knowledge of the market so whilst saying you won’t sign Endrick unless scouts recommend him, they probably will at some point and due to knowledge you’ll probably sign him over an unknown player. 

Some of the best saves I’ve had in recent years are in leagues I have no knowledge of Bolivia, Turkey, Estonia on top of that you could probably play with the option to not use real player names? Maybe this might help. 

I have thought for years that FM is too soft with injuries and we don’t get fully fledged injury crisis to manage our way around. 

Whilst it’s not the perfect solution for you, there are options out there to make the game harder. Using Mods, making in game rules for yourself. When you start at Liverpool/United maybe self impose a rule of 5/6 so 5 players in starting XI have to be homegrown trained within the club etc. 

6 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

watch TV, read the news, watch YouTube, play against or with certain players

You have it in game world - Twitter, match shortcuts, media info. You can get info from these.

6 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

I don't think it's very realistic to stop searching for players.

So, IRL manager put into Goole or Bing - need fast poacher or strong ball playing defender? :D:D:D

Edited by patpul

2 minutes ago, patpul said:

You have it in game world - Twitter, match shortcuts, media info. You can get info from these.

So, IRL manager put into Goole or Bing - need fast poacher or strong ball playing defender? :D:D:D

Yes.

Lol Just kidding. I thought you meant searching players by name and such. Like, I know what Jamal Musiala can do so it's fine just to search his name, scout him(or don't) and buy him.

I was really hoping enhanced manager ai would make the game more interesting and challenging but I've not noticed a difference and this was a headline feature. 

And is squad rotation really necessary? I've played players with very low fitness levels and they get very high match ratings and don't seem to get injured, so why would I rest them? Surly playing players with low levels of fitness should have consequences. 

Edited by Weller1980

1 hour ago, rp1966 said:

Their issue is absolutely player quality. You aren’t going to win the league with Rashford, sancho, Antony, martial and finished Ronaldo as forward options. Not too mention their midfield and defence is not title winning quality either

Never got the playing with no attributes logic. It makes zero sense from a footballing perspective. Because in real life you’d always know one player is faster than another, or that a player is a better finisher than another, or that one player is a better passer. Just from watching if you have a good eye

2 minutes ago, Weller1980 said:

I was really hoping enhanced manager ai would make the game more interesting and challenging but I've not noticed a difference and this was a headline feature. 

It’s also only Beta, there could be further tweaks on this yet for all we know. I wouldn’t judge a headline feature or any feature in a testing stage. If you feel like it’s not working as they have said I would raise a bug report with examples so hopefully they can improve the feature/s 

Just now, _mxrky said:

Their issue is absolutely player quality. You aren’t going to win the league with Rashford, sancho, Antony, martial and finished Ronaldo as forward options. Not too mention their midfield and defence is not title winning quality either

This.

Playing McFred for years and having no strikers is crazy to me.

Just now, _mxrky said:

Never got the playing with no attributes logic. It makes zero sense from a footballing perspective. Because in real life you’d always know one player is faster than another, or that a player is a better finisher than another, or that one player is a better passer. Just from watching if you have a good eye

With no attributes you can use that good eye to watch highlights and judge for yourself, or compare via statistical results. 

1 minute ago, danielgear said:

It’s also only Beta, there could be further tweaks on this yet for all we know. I wouldn’t judge a headline feature or any feature in a testing stage. If you feel like it’s not working as they have said I would raise a bug report with examples so hopefully they can improve the feature/s 

That's a fair comment this is just my initial thought. 

3 minutes ago, danielgear said:

With no attributes you can use that good eye to watch highlights and judge for yourself, or compare via statistical results. 

The match engine is nowhere near good enough to tell any  significant differences between attributes from watching 

Edited by _mxrky

8 minutes ago, Weller1980 said:

And is squad rotation really necessary? I've played players with very low fitness levels and they get very high match ratings and don't seem to get injured, so why would I rest them? Surly playing players with low levels of fitness should have consequences. 

It's not a binary thing though. Playing players when they have low fitness ratings increases the risk of them being injured. In real life, there will be many players who start a game with (in FM terms) 'half a heart' of fitness and go on to play really well and not get hurt. 

Just now, dannysheard said:

I know we've always shunned the idea but could it be time to introduce difficulty levels into the forum?

It has been discussed before and has been reviewed by SI- from what they have said before I think it is unlikely due to the complexities of having differing code for different levels, but they alone will make that decision.