A confession...

I'm confessing, so as to find kindred souls who perhaps have the same issues as me...

So far on FM2020 I have struggled to stick to a save game for more than a season. I have switched between countless teams, sometimes the smallest thing will put me off and I lose interest, or rather decide starting as another club is a much more attractive prospect. I did a season as AZ Alkmaar and got put off by how weak we are in European Competition, I took Norwich to 10th in the Premier League but then Max Aarons won the Golden Boy and this made me write the whole save off as unrealistic... 

This is not a criticism of the game, I recognise these are my own irrationalities!

I guess what i'm trying to ask... does anyone have any advice on how to perhaps to choose a team to start with, and stick with that save?

Edited by ChrisCo

I mean, I don't mind the power fantasy of just getting and being really good with one team, so I'll just pick one that I already like and go from there. 

I also choose clubs based on history.  I'll pick a team with an interesting, long history - Dumbarton, Kilmarnock, Wrexham, Genoa, Le Havre, Pro Vercelli.  It makes the climb more interesting to me if I have a 'reclaiming past glory' narrative.

6 hours ago, ChrisCo said:

I'm confessing, so as to find kindred souls who perhaps have the same issues as me...

So far on FM2020 I have struggled to stick to a save game for more than a season. I have switched between countless teams, sometimes the smallest thing will put me off and I lose interest, or rather decide starting as another club is a much more attractive prospect. I did a season as AZ Alkmaar and got put off by how weak we are in European Competition, I took Norwich to 10th in the Premier League but then Max Aarons won the Golden Boy and this made me write the whole save off as unrealistic... 

This is not a criticism of the game, I recognise these are my own irrationalities!

I guess what i'm trying to ask... does anyone have any advice on how to perhaps to choose a team to start with, and stick with that save?

I completely understand this.

The smallest things do put people off which is why I think they should give us the ability to edit as we go. If you're not happy with a Golden Boy you should be able to change it....you should be able to do anything you want with your own game. It's nobody else's business if you cheat.

I am only now back just playing FM after years of playing PES and FIFA.  What I used to do however was have FM on the in background to generate the seasons and then I'd play the matches in PES or FIFA. I'd bring it all together in an Excel spreadsheet.

It sounds like a lot of work but it was quite rough and ready. The best thing though was I had total control. I could just change whatever I liked. I regularly overruled things like Golden Ball awards because I decided that the wrong player won it. And only I can decide who I think would be an appropriate winner....You can still probably do this in your own head. 

Another thing I did was work from real life statistics and set myself targets to encourage longevity. For example, I'd aim for my striker to match Piola's record of 274 Serie A goals or Buffon's record of 294 clean sheets, or matching Ferguson's records..... That then gives you something to play for.

6 hours ago, ChrisCo said:

choose a team to start with

How about not choosing a team? Have you tried starting unemployed and trying to build your name in game? It works for me giving me saves I enjoy the most. Also, if you get bored by a club after few years... you can just quit and search for new one within the save. 

All good advice. I just loaded a few leagues up last night and randomised the club and got Venezia FC. Going to push forward with them, whilst also looking at the challenges forum, which I had completely overlooked!

Lol I have this too. But i just started though. It defo doesnt fell like the old fm's for me. But need to make it work somehow cuz the base of the game is still great. Before i had no problems with playing the game matches and get things work but now its hard. 
I can play the better side but just loose easy. Makes things frustrating. So went into info about the tactics etc. but im quite over it now and just use a working tactic and play the game. Just started also with Az Alkmaar. I like also realism in the game, but its hard to have that all the time in any aspect of the game. So need to turn down some expectations and just hope to get good results and play the game. 

What is your frustating thing in the game? Do you use own made tactic or? 

21 minutes ago, f.zaarour said:

Lol I have this too. But i just started though. It defo doesnt fell like the old fm's for me. But need to make it work somehow cuz the base of the game is still great. Before i had no problems with playing the game matches and get things work but now its hard. 
I can play the better side but just loose easy. Makes things frustrating. So went into info about the tactics etc. but im quite over it now and just use a working tactic and play the game. Just started also with Az Alkmaar. I like also realism in the game, but its hard to have that all the time in any aspect of the game. So need to turn down some expectations and just hope to get good results and play the game. 

What is your frustating thing in the game? Do you use own made tactic or? 

Not really to do with tactics or ME, I'm pretty happy with both.

It can be stupid things such as not being Newcastle United, because I support them and if I do well that is unrealistic :lol:

I'm just going to try and stick out a game with Venezia for now I think. I'm a few games deep as of yesterday evening. I like their kit, logo, colours and their squad isn't bad.

nice choice. i started with parma since palermo got relegated in 4th. i started palermo in fm19. so i tried to start with parma. besides of the ME issues it is really fun to play in italy.
never wanted to play in italy. but somehow i ended up there. was a got choice.

I used to play by picking with a team and sticking with them for 10/20/30/40/50 or even 100 seasons. 

But lately, I've been doing more journeyman saves - basically, start with a low team, and work them up and after about a season or two if I get a higher offer, or if there is a job going in the league above me, I will go for that and hopefully get it. 

Plan is to reach top of England - winning trophies isn't the goal - but a bonus - player accolades are of no concern - and certainly worthless news items are skipped over and ignored.

Once there, I will then try the continent for other European clubs, hoping one day to land the top jobs at either Spain, Germany, Italy, England or France - I would consider Portugal, and a few others but only FCP or someone.

I am finding moving from league to league and club to club gives me more to do rather than plodding through seasons and swallowing up every trophy/accolade in the leagues. 

Just have so much more fun this way.

And to make it even harder - I never buy the same player twice! If I have bought Cavani for At Madrid - I can't buy him at Borussia Dortmund for example (in the same save). 

Once you get into regens - it makes it difficult to get new signings - as you may have managed an 18 year old regen 10 years ago at a club that was 5 clubs ago - and may be interested in joining - but you can't as he's 28 and best player in the World - but I am not allowing myself to sign him.

If I win a league, tournament/cup then sobeit, but it's not the goal, the goal is to keep moving and building teams without signing players I signed in the past.

I have always quite liked starting at the bottom of the English Leagues and working my way up at journeyman. At the moment the plan is to stick with Venezia for longer than any of my previous FM2020 saves (So 18 months plus...) and try to make them a Serie A staple.

For me, before starting a save i choose a goal, a target that i wish to achieve and then accordingly i choose a club. For instance, if i want to take a very small club and the final goal is to win champions League i will pick a club from 4th league in england. If i want to be competitive from beginning i will take Milan or Atletico Madrid.

I've become completely obsessed with the FM20 Youth Academy Challenge and not just that i'm obsessed with doing it with the same team, Stalybridge Celtic, i'm on my 4th attempt and i've not even managed to make it to the end of the first season without being sacked.

I've tried adding the lower league expansion so I can start as them in the league below but I soon got bored and felt that the next try would be the one where i'd succeed.  I'm sure this is the definition of madness!!

Em 17/12/2019 em 17:13, ChrisCo disse:

I'm trying to avoid this because basically the same thing happens to me.

Now in FM20 I only managed FC Porto and I'm commited to at least win one Champions League without buying any players (only get them from the academy) before changing clubs or creating a new save.

When Mourinho signed for the Spurs I really felt like making a save with them... but I've sticked with Porto.

I also like the saves where you start unemployed, advance a couple months and start checking the clubs with insecure managers. Usually teams in relegation zone and etc. And when they fire their managers I apply for a job.

I’ve had the same problem as you the past two years. I tried the dafuge challenge each year and lost interest each time. If I fail to feel some sort of connection to the club I lose interest almost immediately. 

What I do now is use the editor to try and create a different world I can make a story in. For example this year I decided to start a save with Arsenal because I had a really good save with them on FM14. I used the editor to give them the best youth academy in the world and gave them the club vision to produce players from the youth academy. I also edited the youth rating of some nations for fun like India. In my head I’m pretending billionaires have started investing in Indian football just for fun. It seems an awful waste they have a billion people yet can’t find 11 players to be competitive with. 

Then i holidayed about 10 years to give my changes some time to take effect and then took over Arsenal.  For whatever reason, I’ve had to create my own storyline the past few years in order to stay interested in the saves. But it’s worked for me. 

Sometimes the best to do is take time off, few weeks or month take FM out of your life. Dont come to forums or play it. It can have bad affect in motivation and in long term play if u start hopping from save to save, time passes but you are still picking...

Journeyman saves are the way forward. Have no goals. See where the game takes you. Have the top 5 leagues in Europe active (and their 2nd tier leagues), start with a bottom club and try to climb the managerial ladder. As soon as a club stops being interesting, move to another one. Works for me.

50 minutes ago, saihtam said:

Sometimes the best to do is take time off, few weeks or month take FM out of your life. Dont come to forums or play it. It can have bad affect in motivation and in long term play if u start hopping from save to save, time passes but you are still picking...

I was thinking this! 

I have a very busy few days ahead so it seems the ideal time to have a few days away from the game (After playing pretty much every evening since release!) and come back to it during the few days I have off next week for Christmas.

On 20/12/2019 at 16:16, sidslayer said:

Journeyman saves are the way forward. Have no goals. See where the game takes you. Have the top 5 leagues in Europe active (and their 2nd tier leagues), start with a bottom club and try to climb the managerial ladder. As soon as a club stops being interesting, move to another one. Works for me.

I have more leagues loaded but this is also my favoured way of playing although last year I did play two of the challenges.

I always set some goals before starting save.

For example. I have played with Sassuolo, and my goal was to have only Italian players and win Champions League. ( Champions league is my ultimate goal always )

- I've played with AC Milan, and my goal was to make them great again, but with condition to have players same nationality as their team from 2005. Brazilian goalkeeper, Ukranian striker etc. 

-  Then I love to play my save around one player. For example, I'm playing with Celta Vigo currently, and my goal is to make Thiago Almada win Golden Ball.

I never change teams during my save, because I always tend to make some mid-range team ustoppable force until Regens take over the whole game. Like I did with Atalanta https://prnt.sc/qeatlx