Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

Is there going to be any firm guidelines drawn up for whether something should be in here or FMS?

About 20% of the threads in here (at a guess, I haven't read every single thread) are basically just stories shoved into a program that turns them into a newspaper and a print screen posted. Currently, as the only criteria we have are "no images and detail", we get cases like this.

IMO, we should have criteria like these:

1. If images are deemed essential to the progress of the thread, or screenshots are going to be linked to regularly, it's a career.

2. If the updates are more than just facts, it's a story. It doesn't need a multi-layered, Bafta winning plot (there seems to be a perception that all stories in FMS are publishable! Most don't even have a "storyline") but it does need to have flesh. Threads like Cougar's would be accepted happily in FMS- in fact, I think Cougar would have a chance of the "Best International Management Story" award if he had posted it in FMS.

That actually really surprises me SCIAG as I was one of the advocates for starting this forum.

I've posted occasionally in FMS before with a story background but I was definately under the impression that my thread here does not fit in with the "style" of the FMS forum.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there going to be any firm guidelines drawn up for whether something should be in here or FMS?

About 20% of the threads in here (at a guess, I haven't read every single thread) are basically just stories shoved into a program that turns them into a newspaper and a print screen posted. Currently, as the only criteria we have are "no images and detail", we get cases like this.

IMO, we should have criteria like these:

1. If images are deemed essential to the progress of the thread, or screenshots are going to be linked to regularly, it's a career.

2. If the updates are more than just facts, it's a story. It doesn't need a multi-layered, Bafta winning plot (there seems to be a perception that all stories in FMS are publishable! Most don't even have a "storyline") but it does need to have flesh. Threads like Cougar's would be accepted happily in FMS- in fact, I think Cougar would have a chance of the "Best International Management Story" award if he had posted it in FMS.

I discussed this with the FMS mods when this forum first opened and I think that the moderators of both forums are quite happy to allow people to choose between the two forums based not only on the FMS guidelines, but also on the ethos (what is the plural of ethos anyway?) of the two forums.

If anyone wants their thread moved to FMS (or vice-versa), they just have to ask.

Personally, I see very little difference between the two forums, and only find myself getting confused as to which one I'm suppose to post into.

If you are not sure of the difference between the two forums and you are going to be keeping to the FMS guidelines then I would recommend that you post in FMS.

This forum is supposed to be an alternative for anyone who wants something a bit different to FMS, a sort of 'feeder forum'. I'm sure we'll get a few people moving from here to FMS in time.

That makes sense and is a good policy. :thup:

Of course, you've then got to take into account that some threads would only be accepted here (i.e. those which are reliant on images or screenshots, or those which are basically season summaries).

That makes sense and is a good policy. :thup:

Of course, you've then got to take into account that some threads would only be accepted here (i.e. those which are reliant on images or screenshots, or those which are basically season summaries).

Of course. The reason this forum came about was because people wanted to post in a style that was not allowed in FMS, I wasn't really expecting people to post 'FMS-style' threads in here since they could already do that.

That actually really surprises me SCIAG as I was one of the advocates for starting this forum.

I've posted occasionally in FMS before with a story background but I was definately under the impression that my thread here does not fit in with the "style" of the FMS forum.

Cougar, your current thread would fit in just fine in FMS. Just look at Mark Wilson 27's stuff and you'll see what I mean. You take time, you write a good summary and you keep your account of your gameplay moving.

I would like to say that it takes a little more effort than simply shoving it into a program that turns it into a newspaper. The programs i use are Illustrator and Photoshop and require a lot of effort to produce the format in which i produce. There is no 'magic button' to produce newspapers.

Everyone can. Go to the Options Menu and press "Print Screen". The screenshot will then appear in .png format in:

My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\screenshots :thup:

No need to go to options, press Alt+F9 and they turn up in the same folder.

What's the best way to do it? Can anyone help?

Cheers,

C.

I use irfanview, just use CTRL + PrtSc and past in a empty doc of ifrnmaview, then you can cut, expand etc and save in each format you want and is free ware. Or use Gadwin screen capture, use the PrtSc button to activate ans with some default setting it can do wonders (use them both for my work), but if you use them for private reasons they are freeware.

PS> just found out there is a career forum :thup:, never knew that..

I presume this is one of the main points of debate about this forum and FMS, even though this is a 'career update' I can see some people posting there 'stories' over here, because they want to put things like screenshots or pictures in it.

I that is one of the main differences. Take mine as an example, the screenshots are really telling the story there, without them it would be a bit meaningless.

Ok going to start a story/update with Cromscotts latest update but i want too allow the community to decide who i should start with. The choices are as follows:

(1) Sunderland: A club with all the sources to become big, including money. Now they just need a manager to get them their.

(2) Newcastle United: The 'too big a team to go down' has, well gone down. The challenge is not only too return them to the premiership but actually win some honours to get them that 'big team' tag that all but passionate geordies feel is a sham.

(3) Leeds United: Success in the 60's and 70's returned in the late 90's and early 00's but this time cursed with an immediate downfall of gigantic disaster. Can they become and force to be reckoned with again and this time on the back of sound finances.

(4) Rangers: One of the big 2 in scotland, Rangers have failed to replicate their 90's success during the last 10 years. Often in the shadow of Celtic the last 2 years have seen a UEFA Cup final and the title return but can they challenge the elite of europe on a regular basis.

(5) Aberdeen: It seems that success left the Dons when Alex Ferguson departed and it has never really found its way back to Pittadore. A small ground and average facilities wont make it easy to return them to their former glory, but what a story it would be if they did.

(6) Lazio: Although they have enjoyed success in Seria A recent seasons have been rather a dissapointment, bar the 3rd pace finish in 07. They once looked like they could be a major force for years to come from 95-99 but financial woes put paid to that and they quickly became a selling club to the big 4. The foundations are there to see them rise to the top once more.

So let the voting begin...who do you want to see glory come too?

Wether Im winning or losing I always have the motivation, what better motivation is there than winning fans and the board over when your job is on the line. But dont panic, I will do a season before any updates. And who do you think I should go?

None of the ones you mentioned, why always those english teams!!

Go with a team like Sint-Truiden (STVV) in Belgium, smallish stadium, not a lot of money, some quality and a stupid chairman.

Or Sparta Rotterdam in Holland or Karlsruhe in Germany or Xerez in Spain. Those are challenges.

Because going Man Utd etc is too easy. Also i believe more people will follow a career if it is with a club they are familiar with. There was no mention of me wanting to play as these clubs because of me wanting a challenge (although I dont want it to be simple) rather I chose these teams because of their history an tradition as clubs. Hopefully that answers your doubts.

Just had an idea about this forum today: in order to get more in-thread discussion going, should we have some threads that are open for multiple users to post in? For example, we could have a Premier League thread for those who focus their careers there, a European thread, an international management thread etc.

I'm not suggesting this as a replacement for any existing threads as many of the current threads are fun to follow. This might just provide a place for people who find the prospect of opening their own thread a bit duanting to go and may give more encouragement to people who would otherwise think 'why is nobody commenting in my thread?'. Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say that I am proud that already this forum has grown into somthing special since it's uprising..

We have had the privielge of many great career storys like some of the top of my head include Nep's Knockbreda save, Raware's Hong Kong with Love, WH's Best of British and Hamilton162's Other Side of Manchester. :thup:

It already seems like forever ago when this forum was gaining support on GD.

I have to say that I am proud that already this forum has grown into somthing special since it's uprising..

We have had the privielge of many great career storys like some of the top of my head include Nep's Knockbreda save, Raware's Hong Kong with Love, WH's Best of British and Hamilton162's Other Side of Manchester. :thup:

Cheers for the mention Saxonaitor :thup: I'd agree that this forum has become something good since it's formation as it allows users to showcase their careers without the updates being scattered around the threads in CSE :) It's also now easier to follow one career that doensn't follow the challenges in CSE, such as Raware's 4 fantastic threads :thup:

I've never ventured onto CSE before (although I've followed some links there from here over the last couple of days). For me this provides all the positives of what I was getting from LLM - like minded gamers discussing career games, without any of the negatives. This is definately my new home on the SI forums.

WHS:thup:;)

With my new laptop + Windows 7, I hope I can have a truly global career game, with new leagues. :)

With my old laptop, I'll have to wait and see what I can get out of FM10 (midly optomistic though as Miles Jacobson said in the podcast a lot of work had been done on making the game run smoothly and process faster on all machines). Hopefully, I'll be able to run a combination of the big leagues, my favourite leagues from previous versions and a couple of places I've never managed in before. :)

:thup: from me on this forum. Just a question - how do my updates read for you guys? In comparison to some of the others mentioned above that are in 'end of season report' format. For those that don't know my career is here and I've done my updates sporadically, as and when I've felt the need. Though lately these have been monthly updates!

Anyway thoughts would be appreciated :thup:

iacovone: I haven't read all of it yet but from the first few posts it seems to be a nice and enjoyable format, which makes it interesting and I will definitely be reading more! I don't think it would appeal to the casual reader who perhaps doesn't necessarily read the updates, but merely looks at the 'statistics'.

:thup: from me on this forum. Just a question - how do my updates read for you guys? In comparison to some of the others mentioned above that are in 'end of season report' format. For those that don't know my career is here and I've done my updates sporadically, as and when I've felt the need. Though lately these have been monthly updates!

Anyway thoughts would be appreciated :thup:

Needs more pictures. :p

We have had the privielge of many great career storys like some of the top of my head include Nep's Knockbreda save, Raware's Hong Kong with Love, WH's Best of British and Hamilton162's Other Side of Manchester.

I agree, it has made it a lot easier to read fantastic threads like Nep's, Raware's, WH's, DodgeeD's and Dafuge's which would otherwise be impossible due to the fact the individual updates would be spread around the a certain thread.
Cheers for the mention Saxonaitor I'd agree that this forum has become something good since it's formation as it allows users to showcase their careers without the updates being scattered around the threads in CSE. It's also now easier to follow one career that doensn't follow the challenges in CSE, such as Raware's 4 fantastic threads
I've never ventured onto CSE before (although I've followed some links there from here over the last couple of days). For me this provides all the positives of what I was getting from LLM - like minded gamers discussing career games, without any of the negatives. This is definately my new home on the SI forums.

Just wanted to say I agree with all you guys :thup: (and thanks for the mention on my thrreads:D). I'm delighted at the response this forum has got and the threads are making great reads. I actually check this out before any of my emails first thing in the morning now! :D

Anyway thoughts would be appreciated

I'm enjoying the read iacovone but as said, probably could do with a few more screen shots.

Archived