Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This forum lacks threads about peoples career's with bigger teams. I think it's because people think that they should only post if they're a small team trying to make it big.

That's because:

1. People post their adventure of the small club to big club challenges here

2. LLM'ers who want to show their progress here

3. LLM rejects who make Careers Forum their home :p

4. Career game threads, which never start at a big club, and work their way up to success

5. FMS people to want to show their progress with screenshots and the like

FMS, LLM, and the CSE forum use this forum the most, and very few play with a big club in these forums. I haven't started with a 'big' club since FM08. :D

This forum lacks threads about peoples career's with bigger teams. I think it's because people think that they should only post if they're a small team trying to make it big.

There's nothing to stop people posting about games with big teams, but you are right, we don't get too many.

One idea is because people who tend to play with big teams tend to play shorter term games. Threads that are not updated regularly will slide down the forum which is why a lot of the longer careers will stay towards the top of the forum.

Another reason is that the sorts of people who want to put effort into documenting their games are also the sorts of people who like to start at the bottom and work their way up.

Hardly very interesting to read about people buying the usual suspects and winning everything with United, Chelsea, Barca or Real Madrid either. Which is why some of us play LLM of course (the proper one and the "starting far down" type).

Wouldn't be very interesting to start a chess game when all you had to do was move the queen a few squares and then shake hands.

Downloaded tens of African nations from the Editors Forum and started a game in this unknown of a continent. Not chosen to use all the nations but have selected around 25 nations to run including England aswell. Really looking forward to playing this as like I said its pretty much an unknown in FM, will keep my more interested than my current save where i've gone from GVVV to Panathinaikos at an early stage.

Not sure whether to create a new thread for this save or not as I feel I've created a few too many since FM10 came out and not generating the interest from other forums member as much as I used to.

Downloaded tens of African nations from the Editors Forum and started a game in this unknown of a continent. Not chosen to use all the nations but have selected around 25 nations to run including England aswell. Really looking forward to playing this as like I said its pretty much an unknown in FM, will keep my more interested than my current save where i've gone from GVVV to Panathinaikos at an early stage.

Not sure whether to create a new thread for this save or not as I feel I've created a few too many since FM10 came out and not generating the interest from other forums member as much as I used to.

Write it up but refrain from posting until you have a few seasons done so we know you wont quit.

I don't think I'll be able to start my own thread as even with very few leagues loaded the game runs pretty slow on my computer, so unless I have a thread which I can update every few matches or something I'll just use things like the anecdotes thread. I think I'm going to have one of those really chaotic seasons where you win a few, draw, lose a few, draw etc. with Cray.

Needed somewhere to post this:

FM09 my ninth season 2017/2018, finally in the prem following LLM rules for the first time through the following route:

Gateshead (July 2008 - October 2010) - Won BSN, came 3rd in BSP, got knocked out of playoffs in semis, hopped it to Bristol Rovers in League 1 when the offer came along

Bristol Rovers (October 2010 - October 2011) - I was a time stopper. Took them at 16th in the league, changed everything, finished 9th, got sacked exactly 1 season later at 16th.

Eastleigh (November 2011 - March 2014) - Back down to BS, but this time BSS! Came 9th, then came 1st and won FA trophy, was doing well in with eastleigh but had very little to came along. When Bradford came in league 1 relegation spot and decent funds I was there quicker than fat Ronaldo when he was just Ronaldo.

Bradford City (March 2014 - Present) - Here is where I found true love. 25000 people to come see me play, a chairman who I usually get on with and.....players that can be sold! I changed captain, dropped a load of old farts and brought them from 22nd to 17th. Next season I rebuilt, got some quality freebies and booted everyone else. Fiished 3rd after a late surge, scraped through the playoff final with an 89th minutes header from my star centre back. Next signed a few more, invested in a bit of youth and tried a new tactic. The result: 9th which was 13 places higher than our expected position. Next season was ****, got 3 good players poached and a load of others whined, finished 11th as expected. That brings us to the season I just spent 6 hours finishing......this season. Started off with 5 draws. Then won 7. Lost a few stupid ones, then was hugely inconsistent until the last 10 games, when I was hugely lucky. Except for the last 3, in which all the teams around me were ****, and I almost won the title from nowhere, but lost it against Preston. **** it, premiership here I come.

Not sure if anyone's gonna read this, but I hope to come back and elaborate on this some time, possibly even turn it into a thread. So 9 years of luck and brilliant scouts is what it takes to get to the premiership. I wonder how long it takes to win it? Well Newcastle, City and Loverpool all have managers over 60, so a retirement and a sneaky application from me could shorten that period considerably. :)

Question: Is it acceptable to have two career threads running in here? The rules are kind of fuzzy over this. I'm interpreting it as - if I keep both active then its ok.

As 10.2 is here I feel a big worldwide career approaching.

Yes, multiple threads are allowed.

I'll update it when I can be asked to, with a vague description of the matches. I started the game a few months ago and have been playing more the last few weeks, up to my FAC2Q game with Workington now, which due to me saying that think I can win the game I've been told that I'm delusional. Now that's hardly fair, we're in Ryman Prem and they're BSN. Bring it on!

Sax and luton do story like updates would suit FMS and people dont seem to mind so im sure you will be ok :thup:

When it takes me 45 minutes to watch a full match MeLikeFM, you'll want to write match reports, otherwise i'd do monthly reports, i'm a lazy person at heart :D

Not having a go at anybody (didn't even know people were making "story-like" updates), but I figured the idea of this forum was to be different from FMS, which means updates and not stories. The mods will know where to draw the border.

Personally I find it much more interesting to read season-updates, as you get a feeling for the save, and you don't have trawl through lots of posts to get to the heart of the info. I'm a slow player too (4th season, think I'm up to 8 days or something :D) so going through the seasons takes time. But I quite like writing the updates every season. I don't know if others like them, but I've liked reading through my own down the line, to remember how playing that save was like.

Honestly however.

10-3, Terk or someone similar who knows what should or shouldnt be a story, do you think i should prehaps move to FMS next career?

Up to you really. The style of your thread does fit in with FMS (apart from the image at the start) so if you want it moved just let me know.

Archived