How many CPU cores can be used?

FM will utilise all available cores when processing matches however other than that it still operates on a single core basis where clock frequency is more important therefore to get the full performance benefit you need to run all in full detail. If you already run all competitions in full detail & you have the money an i9 cpu  will provide a performance advantage over all other options although how much remains to be seen & if in the past you've left FM at the default settings you will likely be disappointed in the lack of any tangible improvement in processing times.

TBH at the price range advertised I'd go with the i7-7820X, just over half the price of the i9-7900K at the cost of losing 2 physical cores. If you play more graphically intensive PC games you can then use the money saved towards a GTX 1080TI.

• 6 months later...

Just ordered this:

<quote>

• Processor: Intel Core i9-7900X CPU, 10 Cores, 3.3 - 4.3GHz
  • Overclocking: Overclock my CPU by up to 20%
  • Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB Tempered Glass Case - Black
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Graphics Card
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i V2 CPU Cooler
  • Thermal Paste: Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Particle Thermal Paste
  • Case Cooling: Corsair HD120 RGB LED High Performance 120mm PWM Fan - Three Pack with Controller
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime X299-Deluxe Motherboard
  • Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory (4 x 8GB Sticks)
  • OS Drive: 1TB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive
  • Solid State Drives: 1TB Samsung 850 PRO Solid State Drive
  • Secondary Hard Drive: Seagate 6TB BarraCuda Pro 7200RPM Hard Disk
  • Additional Hard Drives: 2xSeagate 12TB BarraCuda Pro 7200RPM Hard Disk
  • Cable case for additional HDDs or SSDs: Pre-Install Cabling for Additional Solid State Drive, Pre-Install Cabling for Additional Hard Drive
  • Optical Drive: Not selected
  • Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold 1000W PSU
  • Sound Card: Asus Strix Raid Pro Gaming Soundcard Set
  • Additional Ports and Bluetooth: 4-Port PCI Express USB 3.0 Card, Dynamode 3-Port Firewire Card

</quote>

Will let you know how it performs

5 hours ago, nangaparbat said:

Just ordered this:

<quote>

• Case Cooling: Corsair HD120 RGB LED High Performance 120mm PWM Fan - Three Pack with Controller
  • Cable case for additional HDDs or SSDs: Pre-Install Cabling for Additional Solid State Drive, Pre-Install Cabling for Additional Hard Drive
  • Additional Ports and Bluetooth: 4-Port PCI Express USB 3.0 Card, Dynamode 3-Port Firewire Card

</quote>

Is this boasting, some sort of intimidation or trying to get us jealous? 

3 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

As usual, probably a healthy dose of all three.  I'll stick with being a filthy casual and play on an achingly average laptop.

On 18/06/2017 at 01:22, Steven Chou said:

I want to buy Intel i9 CPU, and open more than 20+ league in fm2017 , so I want to know how many CPU cores can be used by this game at most?

I'm using a 1950x 16 core CPU and this game appears to use no more than two cores when processing, which is a shame. I see two cores locked at 99% usage and not much else. 

10 hours ago, samuelawachie said:

If he has the cash then good luck to him. To be fair he did say he would let us know how it performs so he is going to hopefully provide some useful information.

I use a Intel I7 6700k 4.0GHZ and runnig 45 leagues from 32 nations and that's pretty rapid so I think yours in more than enough and a little excesive. But if you can afford it why not as I'd do the same if could afford it haha

On 02/01/2018 at 14:57, TheMattB81 said:

I'm using a 1950x 16 core CPU and this game appears to use no more than two cores when processing, which is a shame. I see two cores locked at 99% usage and not much else. 

See my post earlier in this thread, the game is designed to use all cores if the user sets the processing to maximum to get a game that is simulated using the full match engine code rather than one simulated using the less realistically accurate quick match engine which takes up considerably less processing requirements so that those with lower specification systems can enjoy playing FM.

Think of it in the same way as you would graphics settings, the better hardware you have the more you can unlock features that provide a more enhanced experience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2018 at 19:29, michael said:

If he has the cash then good luck to him. To be fair he did say he would let us know how it performs so he is going to hopefully provide some useful information.

I'm a blockchain developer so I have a full blockchain with tons of dummy transactions running at all times. 

21 hours ago, nangaparbat said:

As discussed previously, performance is indistinguishable from my i7-7700k, confirming what i always suspected: SI don't care about performance. 

What were the game setup & settings you ran the test on?

If this thread is anything to go by, FM heavily prefers CPU speed to the number of cores.

mFQjxyv.jpg

u2sTmr3.jpg

The best CPUs for this test are Intel's i7 x700 series or i5 x600 series. There's a few outliers but most CPUs with less power but more cores/threads tend to perform well below; in fact, only 2 out of the fastest 20 CPUs have more than 4 cores (including a laptop CPU!). AMD Ryzen and Threadrippers don't perform well in this test due to lower clock speed, even if the R5 1600/1600X remains great for general gaming. We have yet to see what Zen+ brings to the table this year as far as AMD goes, or if post Meltdown patches influence the results in any way. That is, if your CPU choice is based on FM performance. :lol:

Edited by BMNJohn

Once again read my earlier posts, additional cores allow you to run a more realistic simulation with a reduced cot on processing time & as the benchmark test does not max out the settings across all competitions it does give the advantage to higher clocked dual & quad core cpu’s.

Barside seems to be the only person in this thread, who has any clue about this basic subject. Yes, he is right. FM will utilize a huge amount of cores, when it is processing the matches in full detail, if you are not simulating in full depth the games that are outside of the leagues/cup you are in, the FM will not use all of your cores, because the rest of the things that require the processing (not matches in full detail) are done in most cases by single core. In a save, where all leagues are set to full detail, the Threadrippers will outperform obsolete i5's and i7's greatly with their big amount of cores. If someone really enjoys playing as realistic save as possible, the bigger amount of cores seems to be a nobrainer here, as it will considerably speed up the game.

Also, that test is biased toward the processors of high clock & low amount of cores profile, as the test is not set to simulate in full detail all loaded there leagues, which Barside already said.

On 1/13/2018 at 23:07, nangaparbat said:

As discussed previously, performance is indistinguishable from my i7-7700k, confirming what i always suspected: SI don't care about performance. 

You're a developer, and that's the knee-jerk reaction you jump to?  Aye, ok.

Of course they care about performance.  If they didn't, there would likely be no multi-core support at all, and we'd likely still have CM-era performance where a light breeze was enough to corrupt your save.

It’s a classic example of I want the fastest because I can afford it but I have no idea how to extract that performance advantage.

Theres’s are car analogy to be made that would perfectly illustrate the point...........

That was not what I was thinking about and that doesn't answer my concerns. But considering what you wrote, if we were to run that same user benchmark (which loads all leagues apparently) on full details on a very multi-threaded CPU, would we see similar (not necessarily better) performances to the top CPUs of the "default" benchmark? Would they fare better than they do on the "default" benchmark? Or at least, if both types of CPUs were to do that same test, would the ones with more cores/threads bridge the gap in performance with the ones that propose faster clock speeds? It would be very, very interesting and I'd genuinely like to see it. It would make Ryzen and Threadripper CPUs as well as heavily threaded Intel offerings more efficient in a certain way compared to the i5-x700 series (and similar).

EDIT: My concern isn't whether FM does or does not use all cores/threads. As far as I'm aware, most relatively modern programs do use multiple cores/threads but don't necessarily exploit the possibilities offered by such architectures. My question is on whether FM can exploit that to run faster in any circumstances.

The cpu with more cores will show improved performance when compared with a lower core count cpu when testing in a save with max’d our match settings, as I’ve said the benefit of a cpu with more cores is being able to run a larger & more realistic simulation.

Having reflected on the subject a little further it actually doesn’t makes sense that the quick engine still only runs on a single core & it could do with a rewrite to take advantage of the performance available from high core cpu’s without harming the performance of the lower spec chips.

• SI Staff

Actually the quick match does run on multiple cores the same as full matches, its just that its so fast it makes very little difference.

Some aspects of AI shortlisting are also multi-threaded and the larger the save the bigger difference that can start to make.

The benchmark thread & reports by people who’ve monitored cpu loads seem to suggest otherwise, obviously it’s only a short run of 7 days so may not display the full benefits.

Not sure if the latest benchmark thread includes a test covering deadline week but I do recall that the one I did for FM16 showed a massive performance boost with shortlist processing on previous versions that even saw me break the house rules by using a car analogy, can’t believe I forgot about that.

On 1/2/2018 at 03:04, nangaparbat said:

Just ordered this:

The only chart your top with that build are the overkill chart   

who in there right mind would spend there money on all that ...   waste of money is a big under statement for sure ..   the build dont make any seance what so ever ...     even an overclocked i5  would match up to that  in gaming for sure ...   that is just plan madness 

On 1/2/2018 at 03:04, nangaparbat said:

<quote>

</quote>

Now let me out line the madness of this build 

i9-7900X CPU, 10 Cores, 3.3 - 4.3GHz    your never in a million years ever use all 10 cores .. just no way 

• Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB Tempered Glass Case - Black  Very poor case to use for overclocking   Very bad air flow   case will be like a oven .
  • Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory   Big over kill  .. again it will never be used 
  • Additional Hard Drives: 2xSeagate 12TB BarraCuda Pro 7200RPM Hard Disk   where do i  start with this one //     in view of backing up your data it is just madness and foolish ..   pc  gets stolen or  house fire  or even hardware faulty  you lose everything  unless your backing with the same out side the case  ie:   6tb  and 2x 12tb   
  •  the build in the main is foolish and stupid 

• SI Staff

RE: QM As I said its such a light load you probably wouldn't even notice it using task manager, but trust me it does happen.

Yeah deadline day is the aspect the shortlist threading helps most with.

• SI Staff

I don't have any recent ones this has been in the game for many years now and I've not tested since then, as I said it not a big improvement, simply because the QME is so fast anyway

Had a look back at the FM17 benchmark thread where someone claimed the have run the test on a 16 core threadripper that got nowhere near the top, it took 30% longer to process a normal week & almost 80% longer to process transfer deadline week, 6 & 8 core Ryzen cpu’s are also way down on comparative performance against 4 core intel cpu’s.

Could this be an issue related to the AMD architecture, the code or a bit of each?

https://community.sigames.com/topic/393737-fm17-performance-benchmarking-thread/

Edit: AMD architecture might be a red herring, the 18 test list includes an i7-7700k & an i7-7820x both clocked at the same frequency, the 7700 posted significantly better time on all 3 tests.

https://community.sigames.com/topic/421162-fm18-performance-benchmarking-thread/?tab=comments#comment-11180625

What these admittedly small hardware samples show is that the expected comparable or slightly better performance of higher core count cpu’s is not evidenced by the test results & they actually point to a potential issue that a core count greater than 4 is in some way harming performance.

As someone who is considering buying an i9 or threadripper based system & remains hopeful they’ll like FM19 this is something that I’d like to see being tested in more detail.

I asked this recently and this was the reply 

(Got an answer on this from Neil Brock and his reply is this)

I spoke to someone and this is the jist of what he and I came to:

For how the game uses threads - it will create as many threads for playing matches and shortlisting as you have cores (including hyperthreads).

But the performance you see varies on the setup for example with matches - Quick Matches for instance (so for loaded but non-managed in leagues) it's are so fast anyway it gets to the point where it doesn't make that much more difference having more cores.

If you use detail level to set more stuff to full match you'll start seeing betters gains for more cores, but of course will still be slower than by just not having the league loaded, or having it at a low detail level.

Similar sort of thing with shortlisting the more / leagues players you have loaded the more benefits you can potentially see with more cores, however this is probably more than offset by the general slowdown from having more stuff loading as there's still a large portion of the game which is single threaded. 

In regards to best processors, as a general guide we tend to suggest using the following comparison site as a good gauge of the performance capabilities - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html 

Basic rule of thumb is the higher it is on the list, the better it is. You can edit it to show processors for desktops and also those that are considered 'archived' via the restriction options. 

• SI Staff

I was the perosn he spoke to indeed.

Ascertaining why one processor is faster than the other isn't a simple business, there are a lot of variables but one thing that interested me is that the PC at the top of the pile was the one with the fastest RAM as well, FM tends to be quite RAM bound as it is a massive database and that certainly could be helping.

i9 in general is overkill at this stage. There are so many parts to the pc where you're going to lose performance and at the moment, unless you're building a supercomputer or editing serious movies, you won't need those specs.

You’ve clearly never had to run one of my save files in debug. :D

For me the benefits are easily identifiable but if more can be gained through another look at how efficient the software is at using modern multiple core processor then all the better, especially for those who run large games but not the full ME.

2 hours ago, EdL said:

Ascertaining why one processor is faster than the other isn't a simple business, there are a lot of variables but one thing that interested me is that the PC at the top of the pile was the one with the fastest RAM as well, FM tends to be quite RAM bound as it is a massive database and that certainly could be helping.

I did look at rig setup details when comparing the 7700k & 7820x times, the latter has the higher RAM frequency but still underperformed against its lower core cousin.

That's pretty much my question: are multi-core but slower CPUs (read: lower frequency) able to do anything better than faster CPUs with fewer cores as far as FM goes? None of the benchmarks, even if fairly limited in their testing methodology seem to suggest that. I mean by that even if the former CPUs do show performances improvements depending of the test, it doesn't matter too much to me if a x700K or a x600K do better anyway with four cores and higher clocks. I'm reasonably putting aside the 8000 series from Intel (8700K and below CPUs) as they're not really slower in terms of frequencies than the 6000 or the 7000 series despite having more cores, and often aren't slower at all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/01/2018 at 00:53, Barside said:

See my post earlier in this thread, the game is designed to use all cores if the user sets the processing to maximum to get a game that is simulated using the full match engine code rather than one simulated using the less realistically accurate quick match engine which takes up considerably less processing requirements so that those with lower specification systems can enjoy playing FM.

Think of it in the same way as you would graphics settings, the better hardware you have the more you can unlock features that provide a more enhanced experience.

Very interesting, thanks. I will try adding increasing processing for the nation i am managing in. 

This makes me want a new PC... The time has nearly come for me to build a 4k machine, but mine is running just fine at the moment (i7 4790k, 16GB DDR3, GTX 980ti)

Edited by Robioto

1 hour ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

christ I have an i7 3770k with 16gb ram and have 84 leagues loaded.  runs like a gem, no issues whatsoever.  Zips through days and international breaks at speed

I dont think an i9 would make 'much' difference with FM

It will make a difference if like me you already run all competition in full detail, other than that any performance will likely be perceptibly disappointing.

On 1/23/2018 at 06:13, EdL said:

That's my build at the top of the list and I agree about the RAM.  I achieved similar results on the FM18 benchmark test and topped a gentlemen who had an 8700k clocked 200MHz faster, but his RAM was only 3200MHz while mine has been improved to 4000MHz.

• 3 weeks later...
在 2018/2/23 在 PM2点02分, jwchriste说:

That's ok, I'm leaving on a two-week business trip tomorrow so I installed FM18 on my work laptop - a four-year old AMD Kaveri laptop.  Should be fun. Or frustrating...

:rolleyes: The result must be very bad