Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only marginally the silliest highlight of the game.

I was all set to say "oh come on, I've seen that happen a few times over the years".

But then I realised that it wasn't a striker, it was a defender. Yeah I have seen that happen too, but that IS indeed silly.

I take it you understand that set pieces don't just 'happen'? If you're conceding more than normal from set pieces, it may be you're giving away too many silly fouls around the penalty box, or you're conceding too many corners, or it could be your players simply struggle to defend set pieces. Might be an idea to concentrate defending set pieces for a while alongside setting up some new routines via the set piece creator.

Or you could just say the game is against you. Your choice I suppose.

Why would I say the game is against me? I only said that the proportion of goals scored from set pieces seems to be much higher in the game than in real life, regardless of team strength or super tactics. I guess that goals must be scored somehow and in this game it seems to be from crosses, through balls behind your fullbacks and mostly set pieces. And no matter how strong your team is or which super anti-set pieces routine you're running, you're always gonna concede from those plays, as they do "happen" from time to time.

The thing is, it's not happening for everyone. So far in my save, after 13 games I've conceded 19 goals. 4 from corners (most in the league :() and 1 from a DFK. That's quite reasonable.

Why would I say the game is against me? I only said that the proportion of goals scored from set pieces seems to be much higher in the game than in real life, regardless of team strength or super tactics. I guess that goals must be scored somehow and in this game it seems to be from crosses, through balls behind your fullbacks and mostly set pieces. And no matter how strong your team is or which super anti-set pieces routine you're running, you're always gonna concede from those plays, as they do "happen" from time to time.

How have you calculated your set piece goals?

From the in game stats? or from watching the games and noting down yourself?

I think that was the case in previous issues of the game, but I'm really not seeing it in FM14, (at least not regularly). Don't get me wrong, I have gone through "phases" of both scoring loads and equally conceding loads at other times, but in the main I rarely concede from corners and have been much better in recent years defending free-kicks. Attacking-wise, I have had a few real purple patches with both free-kicks and corners, (and long-throws too actually). but at the moment, despite being gthe most successful I have been in a 15 year career, I am really struggling to score from set-pieces.

In Serie A I have scored 6 goals from corners, (out of 59 scored). That's pretty average in comparison to the other Serie A teams.

In Serie A I have conceded 2 goals from corners, (out of 26 conceded). That's pretty good and only 2 teams have conceded fewer.

In Serie A I have scored 1 goal from a DFK, (out of 59 scored), and 11 Seria A teams have either scored 1 or 0 so far this season, (we are in April).

In Serie A I have conceded 0 goals from a DFK, (out of 26 conceded). 11 Serie A teams have conceded either 1 or 0 so far this season.

In Serie A I have scored 3 goals from an IFK, (out of 59 scored). That's pretty decent and only 2 teams have scored more.

In Serie A I have conceded 4 goals from an IFK, (out of 26 conceded). That's pretty poor and nobody has conceded more. (I need to work on that but I do give away lots of free-kicks so maybe I just have to accept that if I want them to play like that).

Why isn't there a penalties conceded by team stat? :(

In different seasons the above stats would differ greatly, (I once went almost a whole season without conceding from a corner just to prove a point), and then conceded from corners in 2 consecutive games in the last month.

What I am getting at here is that you can never determine 100% that YOU WILL NOT CONCEDE FROM CORNERS!, but there is an awful lot you can do. The way I play the game is that I really focus intensely on a very small part of the game until I have done it to death, and then I move on to something else. At the moment I am building a whole squad of Model Pro's just to see what impact it will have.

If you concede many goals from set-pieces then simply you need to have a look and see why you are conceding. There will be a reason. There always has been when it has happened to me. Now if I can just work out why I am not scoring from them, then I will be laughing. Might just win me the Serie A title next season. :cool:

I have to admit I haven't went through all the pages of this post, but has anyone else experienced anything about players asking to be put on transfer list as a result of not increasing the league position of the club since the last chat in a season where you have won the league? All my good players want out because I promised them that we were going to become champions and we did.

I am now enjoying the game to an extent after finally settling on a tactic although I settled on attacking because I really do not think defending is great in the game.

Both attacking and defending need to be improved for FM15. There needs to be greater lateral movement of players, more variation in how goals are scored, more sensible decision making by players (like stopping wingers and IF's shooting from ridiculous angles!) and far more options with regard to set pieces. Other options like allowing to allocate floated or driven crosses to individual players rather than the whole team would be welcome, unless I have overlooked something there but mainly a more balanced game that has more football logic.

How about having to watch keepers palming off target shots and shots straight at keeper into the goal

And defending teams and poorer quality players should make more defensive mistakes then stronger and attacking teams

There is nothing fun about watching a team just defend have bucket load of saves and blocks then watch them break and score from a 30 degree angle through the keepers hands

Decided to start playing this for the first time in 4 months. Barely started and I can see why I stopped to begin with. Instructions don't actually seem to have any impact and the ME is still flawed. Top players make decisions that a non league player wouldn't make. There doesn't seem to be a tangible different between the top players and the rest.

To be honest, if you want to enjoy this ME you pretty much have to get away from the mindset of expecting the 3D to look like real life football.

I think that's half the problem. I think if ALL effort was made purely on the ME, Players following instructions and a 3D engine simulating logical footballing play then I think most of us would be happy rather than adding silly little tit bits each year. The ME is the heart of the game so please just concentrate on getting this right.

I don't play on 3D anymore for exactly that reason.

I just played United and absolutely battered them. Created loads of chances, United didn't create any and they won 1-0. I replayed it using the same tactics and United battered me but we won 5-1. Too many extremes on this game. I'm finding it easy to either smash teams or struggle to score at all. No middle ground.

You try and get your goalkeeper to play it short when possible and he rarely does. I wanted Ramsey to make forward runs. He doesn't despite there being space and defensive cover. I asked Ozil to run with the ball out wide and he doesn't. It's hard to enjoy it when you feel like you have absolutely no control or impact.

I just played United and absolutely battered them. Created loads of chances, United didn't create any and they won 1-0. I replayed it using the same tactics and United battered me but we won 5-1. Too many extremes on this game. I'm finding it easy to either smash teams or struggle to score at all. No middle ground.

You try and get your goalkeeper to play it short when possible and he rarely does. I wanted Ramsey to make forward runs. He doesn't despite there being space and defensive cover. I asked Ozil to run with the ball out wide and he doesn't. It's hard to enjoy it when you feel like you have absolutely no control or impact.

My current game as Barcelona, won first 14 league games on the trot, go to San Mames looking to equal Real's record of 15 straight wins, and get battered 5-0! Playing my conservative tactic.

My current game as Barcelona, won first 14 league games on the trot, go to San Mames looking to equal Real's record of 15 straight wins, and get battered 5-0! Playing my conservative tactic.

I tried to get my side to play more cautious at Chelsea and it caused them to be more open. Getting them to drop deeper obviously means "push up as high as you want"

Had to laugh reading this because I have just gone 7 matches unbeaten with West Ham. Been creating 20 odd chances a game around 10 on target. Not long beat AC Milan away 3-1 and Huddersfield in the Prem 6-1 yet just been beaten 4-0 away by Southampton and had one shot on goal!!! I'll probably stop praising my players after a big win!!

My record after 9 games shows 12 goals conceded. A 6-3 defeat against Arsenal and the above accounting for 10 of them!!

Decided to start playing this for the first time in 4 months. Barely started and I can see why I stopped to begin with. Instructions don't actually seem to have any impact and the ME is still flawed. Top players make decisions that a non league player wouldn't make. There doesn't seem to be a tangible different between the top players and the rest.

So sad to see. Exactly how I feel. Hope SI realise this and make drastic changes to FM15.

The thing is, it's not happening for everyone. So far in my save, after 13 games I've conceded 19 goals. 4 from corners (most in the league :() and 1 from a DFK. That's quite reasonable.

Obviously a very small sample size but 20% of goals conceded from corners seems high. Soccerbythenumbers.com has 13% of goals in the prem from corners. What are the stats for the entire league like?

Obviously a very small sample size but 20% of goals conceded from corners seems high. Soccerbythenumbers.com has 13% of goals in the prem from corners. What are the stats for the entire league like?

I don't possess that tallest of defenders, so that may contribute to the problem. The other teams all have either 1 or 2 goals.

is the friendly cup based on a real thing? because the fixtures for it semi final - then day after either final or 3rd placed playoff with no break.

That is what every pre season cup runs like - Barclays Asia trophy, Emirates Cup, Amsterdam Tournament, Wembley Cup etc...

I have never conceded too many from corners since I went with two on the post, one marking the six yard box, two man marking and four on go back. One or two get through but I found that it's far better than having more than two on man mark, that did seem to concede. Scoring from corners is another matter!! Have set up for near post with good corner takers but it rarely goes to near post and if it does it's usually along the floor!! Typical case of players ignoring your instructions.... On corners!!!

I feel the pain of so many on this thread. I was ready to throw the PC out of the window then took a deep breath (after about 5 months!) and realised what I was doing wrong. I was actually trying to produce logical football and it doesn't work. Take Chelsea's 19th century football away at Madrid the other night?!!! I've tried that but defending is so bad you will be lucky to get a clean sheet and counter attack doesn't work the way most of us think counter attack should work so you will probably be lucky to score. The problem seems to be a lot down to not being able to achieve a level of realistic closing down. Let them have it in their half, then as they enter your half hunt in packs. IMO impossible. Pressing in general is pretty poor. Even with an attacking philosophy with hassle opponents players tend to meander at jogging pace towards the ball but it is better than stand off and let them shoot!!!

So taking all this into account rather than applying football logic I decided on a new approach. What were teams doing to me? what formation did I struggle against? In short play the ME rather than logical football !! Not ideal and not what you want from the game but it's on the whole working. Rooney, Aguero, Van Persie, Suarez and Cavani no longer give me problems although with a high line I do struggle against footballing giants such as Darren Bent and Ricky van Wolfswinkel with their pace, touch and finishing skills!!! Chelsea, AC Milan, Liverpool, Man United, no problem at all although I do break out in a cold sweat when next up is Norwich, West Brom or Southampton!!

So it's going ok since I set up my right winger to become top scorer rather than trying to get my striker to score, stopped my full backs from passing the ball and stopping players from doing difficult things like holding it up or passing to a team mate and I have stopped expecting to see my record 8 million signing play well and just stand back and admire my free transfer score a hat trick against Milan!!!!

Of course you still get a massive morale drop after losing one game after a 10 match unbeaten run but stick with it for the next defeat and three draws and you will go on another great run just in time for that to come to an end when you play Hartlepool in the FA Cup Third round!!! ;-)

Let me get this right.....

So the Ox is 20 years old and is a wonderkid.

Arsenal are so keen to get rid of him that they accept an offer of £20M from Barca and then agree to subsidise the move by continuing to pay the Ox £3.6M in wages over the next 3 years.

That's madness!

So their £20M is now down to £16.4M.

Then they have to give Southampton £400k, (seems very low), and they are left with £16M.

Does this seem wrong to anyone else? :confused:

It definitely stood out from a sea of "X club are unlikely to want to sell the player" scout reports, it came up as between 16 and 24m euro transfer fee. Appeared in 20 games in all comps for Arsenal, half starts and half sub, not unhappy at the club.

I go 1-0 up at Newcastle and absolutely dominate before my keeper decides to pass short.... to Remy. (Twice he's done so this season, twice we've conceded. Yet he'll ignore short options when we have defenders unmarked) They seal the win with a header from a corner (good to see that after numerous "updates" corners are still as flawed as ever).

I go 1-0 up at Newcastle and absolutely dominate before my keeper decides to pass short.... to Remy. (Twice he's done so this season, twice we've conceded. Yet he'll ignore short options when we have defenders unmarked) They seal the win with a header from a corner (good to see that after numerous "updates" corners are still as flawed as ever).

Corners are flawed because in one match the opposition score from one??

Thats one of the most ridiculous statements made on the forums :rolleyes:

Has anyone else realised that players struggle to turn around when on the ball they're very reluctant to make 180 degree turns and mainly pass the ball instead of turning

Also after a player shoots or passes if the ball is blocked or hits the person infront he just stands still and does nout

Or when players don't realise where the ball is and who's closer to the ball

And when corners are cleared towards the halfway line the defending players at the half way line leave the ball for the attacker on the halfway line to get.

Has anyone else realised that players struggle to turn around when on the ball they're very reluctant to make 180 degree turns and mainly pass the ball instead of turning

Yes, I've noticed that too.

Every time I watch a game in real life.

I don't possess that tallest of defenders, so that may contribute to the problem. The other teams all have either 1 or 2 goals.

My goals conceded from corners this season is at 25% but, like you, the rest of the teams in the division are around the correct level. I'm wondering if the AI is doing something that the players aren't in regards to defending corners like the way Sussex Hammer has his set up maybe. Sticking two men on the near post and one attacking the far post seems to work for scoring corner goals, possibly we need to adjust our set piece defending to cope with a similar tactic if the AI is setting up to attack corners in a way we haven't anticipated.

Well, the AI doesn't have any advantage over us. I am struggling because I don't have a tall squad. Until recently, I didn't even score goals from corners because of it. Brought in a tall monster of a striker at the start of the season and he's already scored 2 from corners alone.

Arggghhhhh this game makes no sense.

Attributes seemingly count for nothing. Team and player instructions are flawed. Why is it, when you want the team to drop deeper they do the absolute opposite?

As I haven't played much of this patch I will ask this. Is defenders dawdling on the ball a known bug?

As I haven't played much of this patch I will ask this. Is defenders dawdling on the ball a known bug?

Its a sign that those players are struggling to follow your instructions.

This could be because of your tactical setup or it could be partly due to their attributes (mostly mental) meaning they don't have the vision to see a suitable pass.

The player in question is Koscielny and he had at least two players to pass to.

Short passing for the keeper definitely doesn't work. Szczesny either hits it long or somewhere inbetween short and long. He's given the ball away 3 times in a row.

Ahhh Celtic just one touched it around and scored. I forget that Celtic were the Scottish Barcelona.

Never had any of the issues I've been having on the previous FM's. Might be my tactics, might be the fact that it's the most illogical football game of the series. Such a disappointment, I doubt I will bother with 15.

The player in question is Koscielny and he had at least two players to pass to.

Are those players within the passing range and risk level you've assigned to him?

What about their roles? his role? Team passing instructions? mentality?

He either doesn't see them or thinks your instructions mean the pass isn't suitable.

Short passing for the keeper definitely doesn't work. Szczesny either hits it long or somewhere inbetween short and long. He's given the ball away 3 times in a row.

There was a bug with directing a GK to pass to a specific player not sure if its been fixed.

The workaround is to choose "Distribute to defenders"

Never had any of the issues I've been having on the previous FM's. Might be my tactics, might be the fact that it's the most illogical football game of the series. Such a disappointment, I doubt I will bother with 15.

Its not illogical you just can't get away with the illogical tactics of the past.

If you have a tactical issue start a thread in the tactics forum, post up your formation & roles to get some advice.

With regards to the players dawdling on the ball, the most jarring thing I find in my game is Xavi and Iniesta farting about with the ball not making a decision, despite having a number of simple passing options. It hasn't cost me yet, but happens a few times a game, and does make me question the in game role of a number of attributes.

Not been on for a while but has anyone been having issues with penalty shootouts?

Just currently I am in one and it's 17-18 without anyone at all missing.

Haha and as I posted my centre half missed knocked out 19-18 just ever so slightly unrealsistic me thinks.

Archived