Mr Hough The Beast Is Back Tactic Thread FM14

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strong teams tactic only unfortunately.

I tested with my 2nd season Alaves which was in the middle of the BBVA table after 25 games, and I was demolished by opposition sinking towards the relegation zone quick. The defence was beaten too easily even by average teams. You need a very strong defence and midfield to use this tactic. I wouldn't recommend it. The tactic was trained to fluid before I switched to it.

Strong teams tactic only unfortunately.

I tested with my 2nd season Alaves which was in the middle of the BBVA table after 25 games, and I was demolished by opposition sinking towards the relegation zone quick. The defence was beaten too easily even by average teams. You need a very strong defence and midfield to use this tactic. I wouldn't recommend it. The tactic was trained to fluid before I switched to it.

I disagree.

Before using this i only just avoided relegation in my 1st season in the premiership with Leeds. The Next season with only a couple of new players I finished 5th with this tactic.

My 2nd season had been amazing in pre-season, and i used the same tactic as i had the previous season which, was pretty successful (completely different from yours). The first game of the actual season however i got ramped. I thought maybe it was a one off. Things got worse and worse despite my tinkering. I had one board intervention. Things got a teeny bit better then worse and i had the second. This time i was to make no mistake, next match was my job. And guess what? It was away against Man City in the Capital One Cup. I kept with the tactic on the idea that as it had managed a few good results against top teams it might get me passed this and was also more likely to than a tactic they weren't used to (my two back ups had failed to break this utterly terribly form as had tweeking the main tactic). I somehow scraped a 0-1 win with 9 men for the majority of the game against the City first XI.

This gave me enough enthusiasm, as i had been expected to get sacked, to look for a tactic to help instead of relying on my clearly not working ones as the game i have got has everything else set up perfect, the exact players i wanted for good prices etc, home talents developed extremely well and so on. Saw you had released one. As you said it's kinda plug and play and i slammed it in. And...well...i gotta be brutally honest with you dude...sorry...i've not

lost a game since! (Hope i had you going) Including a 3-4 win away to Spurs amongst many others. I've now played roughly half a season, including all cups and winning the Capital One against Arsenal.

I don't seem to have the defensive problems many people have mentioned or any others tbqh. I use no opposition instructions, which has been hard as it's so ingrained in the way i play but it works. The one thing that does seem important is a good team talk and training etc. I just wanted to say thanks. I might have only used it for roughly 25 games but considering the performances and how quickly they got there, and NO losses dude! To start with i had a few draws but who wouldn't changing tactics. I am now, if i win my games in hand, on target to get to 4th from where i started when i put your tactic on which was in fact 11th.

Like i said at one point, prior to using your tactic i was told i had to win the next game or it was my head and my old tactic got lucky basically. However the squad, as you can imagine, was by the time i used your tactic riddles with people who were upset thinking we were under-performing. I think i have literally told almost everyone in the first team not to worry as i would change things at first by the half way point then the response changes. That and only about half the players responded to my team talks. And when they did it was increasingly with "Thinks manager lacks credibility." It just shows how as you said "plug and play" this tactic is and how quickly it can command results.

P.S. Idk about you or anyone else but i find it works amazingly better if instead of looking for people with the defensive winger stats and false nine stats you just play regular attacking wingers and people who are more adept at being strikers, or at least are very good at both with the "bring a normal striker" being primary. The only thing that seems to match the required stats is the work rate and teamwork. The other positions however have to be as needed. For my own personal game that is.

thought i would give it a go with a mid to bottom half premier league team. Decided on Aston Villa as i felt that they had a squad that would suit the formation pretty well. I will see how it goes, and post the results!

Ok, so im 5 games into the season and i am on seven points. I feel if i can get my best eleven on the pitch i can do some damage, have had a two red cards already and an injury to Vlaar. The thing i like about it, is the number of crosses coming into the box. I have gone with N'Zogbia and Albrighton on the wings as they have better crossing dribbling than Weimann and Gabby. And rotating the strikers for the cup games. Good wins against west ham and spurs, and red card defeats vs chelsea and norwich.

Great to see you back, Hough. Your tactics on FM12 were by far the best I've ever used.

This one seems to be promising again. I'm walking over smaller teams but concede quite a few against the top sides in the league. I'm not going to complain though, I appreciate that you put things on here. I think you've spoilt us in the past so people are overly demanding with whatever you release!

Using Dortmund the tactic is working ok won the league first season not sure if it was the tactic or lack of squad depth but was knocked out of the cup early, didn't make it past group stage in the champions league and was then knocked out in the first knockout round of the Europa league by Galatasaray. Seems like the defence is very leaky conceded 55 in 50 games! Any suggestions for the Defence would be very much appreciated.

One win after posting what i had i was playing Utd at home and had no fear as i had been flying so high and beating teams as good (in my game Moyes and Utd made those 3-4 shrewd perfect signings and cut out the dead wood that any idiot would have and are flying but still...). Anyway, i lost for the first time 2-3. Mainly due to an own goal, against the run of play, 43mins in that was their 2nd that stopped my rampaging comeback from 0-1 to 1-1 and a disallowed goal in-between. Luckily it does not seem to be the start of something awful as i ground out a 1-2 away win in my next game however now i face Milan in the Europa League.

If there is a Jinx God and i have tempted your wrath, please, i am terribly sorry. My players don't deserve it and neither do the fans.

Hi,

I have a question about the striker roles - how important are they (two F9's) to the tactic?

I have a typical target man - amazing Jumping and Heading attributes, pretty good mental attributes, but slow and pretty average technical attributes.

If I were to switch one of the striker roles to Target Man, Advanced Forward or even Complete Forward, would the tactic still be effective at what it does or would it throw the system out of whack?

Thanks.

Mr Hough can you explain which players play best in each role, like Seftinho mentions, would help to know if a target striker is better, where he should be L or R etc, so far going well with my Middlesbrough save in the first season, thanks again for the tactic, always use your tactics

P.S. Idk about you or anyone else but i find it works amazingly better if instead of looking for people with the defensive winger stats and false nine stats you just play regular attacking wingers and people who are more adept at being strikers, or at least are very good at both with the "bring a normal striker" being primary. The only thing that seems to match the required stats is the work rate and teamwork. The other positions however have to be as needed. For my own personal game that is.

Yup. I signed a defensive winger for Liverpool believing it would be more effective - he got injured fairly early on and was forced to use Gaitan who I got in on loan and Gaitan had an awesome season - 27 games, 11 goals, 8 assists and 7.51 average. Coutinho on the opposite side was good as well - 35 games, 7 goals, 14 assists, 7.28 average and awarded Players Player of the Year.

Were my wing-backs more exposed? Maybe. But I certainly got more from an attacking point of view playing the more attacking players. I'm wondering how forwards would do in those positions as well.

Never used your tactics before but have heard of your name...5 games into a new save with swansea i wasnt doing so well so swapped to this, now, first of all i LOVE the formation its just what i wanted but couldnt find, and not to get ahead of myself but two games using your tactic so far, i won 2-0 in euro, and just thrashed liverpool 5-1 !! Will post results once further into the season but so far so good!

Great tactic. First season with Cardiff, mid February and I'm currently 4th. I did have a major blip where I lost 5 on the bounce, but I was still creating chances, team meeting raised moral and things have been on the up ever since.

Two things, I have spent a lot of money on two young centre backs (Balanta and Zouma) and I changed the right striker to an attacking complete forward.

Apart from the 5 game blip, I've not conceded a great deal and am creating lots of chances. Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself by posting this.

Yup. I signed a defensive winger for Liverpool believing it would be more effective - he got injured fairly early on and was forced to use Gaitan who I got in on loan and Gaitan had an awesome season - 27 games, 11 goals, 8 assists and 7.51 average. Coutinho on the opposite side was good as well - 35 games, 7 goals, 14 assists, 7.28 average and awarded Players Player of the Year.

Were my wing-backs more exposed? Maybe. But I certainly got more from an attacking point of view playing the more attacking players. I'm wondering how forwards would do in those positions as well.

I've played Paco Alácer in the two wide positions with a lot of success and a few other youngsters i've signed. The only other non-game generated played i've tried there is Lukaku on the left and he does surprisingly well, not as well as he does up front however. Same with Alácer. I only started using this tactic in the second season so i've not tried it with any older more players who are fully developed and have played most of their career as an out and out striker. I don't have any left having gotten rid of all of them in the first few months and at the end of my first season. So yeah it seems to work pretty well with young players but it would be interesting to get an older head in there to see if he can play or if it is a matter of them being able to adapt easily. That said some players even when played at one position for most of their life are still adaptable at the end of it, they're relatively rare though, esp at the top level.

Mata does well up front after a while as does Shürrle, so the two front positions can be played well by what you would term "False nines" when they play there. Again though they tend to do better out wide, Mata is a close call though. I'm trying Hazard up there just now to see as his training position wise into being upfront has got the "accomplished" light green go. Mata almost automatically adapts into a light green when you ask him to train as a CF.

One win after posting what i had i was playing Utd at home and had no fear as i had been flying so high and beating teams as good (in my game Moyes and Utd made those 3-4 shrewd perfect signings and cut out the dead wood that any idiot would have and are flying but still...). Anyway, i lost for the first time 2-3. Mainly due to an own goal, against the run of play, 43mins in that was their 2nd that stopped my rampaging comeback from 0-1 to 1-1 and a disallowed goal in-between. Luckily it does not seem to be the start of something awful as i ground out a 1-2 away win in my next game however now i face Milan in the Europa League.

If there is a Jinx God and i have tempted your wrath, please, i am terribly sorry. My players don't deserve it and neither do the fans.

In-case anyone cares, which you don't, i know i probably wouldn't. I ended up stealing in and taking fourth from Spurs in the very last game of the season having just completed the FA Cup part of my cup double. So it was one of those extra late scheduled games and as Spurs had played all their games all they could do was sit and watch. It was perfect. Especially as i got torn to shreds by Milan 5-1 away from home. I won the next league match and then beat them on the return 3-1 but still. Until they scored their away goal when we were 3-0 up at half time you can imagine my thoughts. Blessing in disguise though as it meant i could concentrate on more important things. It was also awesome as i had my C/L spot at the end of the first season taken away by a Man City team, run by JOSÉ of all people, who finished 9th and only got in because they won the fricken thing. So, if anyone else out there is tempted to say great things before the season ends on this forum make sure you watch out for the clear heavy jinx presence. An automatic apology a few games after would be a good idea performance regardless.

no i havnt tweaked it, same training and everything...after utd i beat fulham 4-2 then lost 2-1 against lyon in the europa leauge and just lost 3-0 against chelsea....im not that bothered tho because i am swansea afterall! Cant wait to try this with my beloved spurs as ive been waiting for a tactic thats good to use with townsend!!

have got all the big teams out of the way now...( ive never had a run like that before facing all the big boys so early on, i guess these were swanseas IRL fixtures but i never realised being a spurs fan!!) anyway will play my next load of matches and report back!

Would also like to add, David bentley who i signed on a free, has been given a new lease of life under this tactic its brilliant! And my standout player is a striker they have on loan called alvaro vazquez he's been on fire!

My first season with Cardiff, I finished 6th. Quarter Finals of the League Cup and Runner Up in the FA Cup. I was 3rd with Seven games to go, but had one of those god awful end of season runs, where I picked up just 2 points, the goals dried up, seemed my players enjoyed shooting at the woodwork.

All in all a great season, which would have been all the better if not for two blips. Hopefully with a few more quality players and my youngsters improving, I can improve in 6th next season.

Right then, end of season one, used the tactic (Untweaked) for the season except from the first 4 games. Here is the final table.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197987028333/screenshots/?appid=231670

I cant say im that dissapointed to be honest. The whole top 8 isnt exactly MILES apart from each other and i was surprised that liverpool won as ive never seen that before in the first season!

However i take the big positives that my two strikers, michu and vazquez were both in the top 3 of the top scorers this year. And i have one final match of the season.....EURO cup final vs Spurs! All in all a decent tactic tbh and one i will be sticking with because i feel it actually makes having strikers useful whereas i feel other tactics were more reliant on midfielders. Right then, onto the cup final!!

Although I trust your judgment because your tactics in the past years I've seen you post have been incredible; are defensive minded wingers vital for the DW position? I'm asking because there aren't many you can really sign, unless you retrain wingback players (Alaba, Corchia, Kyle Walker).

How effective would say, a player like Lorenzo Insigne, or Callum McManaman be in such a role, despite the awful defensive positions? (Using the players as examples)

Although I trust your judgment because your tactics in the past years I've seen you post have been incredible; are defensive minded wingers vital for the DW position? I'm asking because there aren't many you can really sign, unless you retrain wingback players (Alaba, Corchia, Kyle Walker).

How effective would say, a player like Lorenzo Insigne, or Callum McManaman be in such a role, despite the awful defensive positions? (Using the players as examples)

I have Draxler and Oxlaide Chamberlain as mine and they are amazing.

Was impressed with this tactic - all seem to be going very well and looking forward to given it a go again on a fresh tactic. Unfortunately my games seems to have gone completely bizarre and I couldn't buy a win with any tactic at the moment. Players doing all sorts of strange things and it just doesn't seem to be working at all at the moment. Cheers for sharing thought Mr. Hough. Your tactics have been spot on over the years.

Used this tactic with villa. In the prem have gon 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 4th and am currently on my fifth season. Two fa cup finals and one champions league final.

It's a weird one because that's obviously great with villa but now my team is full of world beaters and can't outperform the team from the first season.

I have to say this tactic has really helped my save.

Going into season 3 and my team just fell apart, every ball seemed to be intercepted, no tackles attempted, nothing.

I try your tactic and from the first game I can see a massive difference, even before we won the first (of many) game I could see nice clean crisp passes, player looking to move the ball forward, tackles coming in. it was like a different team. I don't know how you do it!!!

In about 15 games I have lost just 3, Stoke, Chelski, and Liverpool. All three of them played 4-1DM-2-2-1 could you make any suggestions about changes when facing that specific formation?

Great work

Managing KooTeePee, who at game start are in the Finnish 2nd tier.

Season 1 - won promotion

Season 2 - won Premiership

Season 3 - won Premiership

Still with a team that is by no means the strongest in the division. In my experience the tactic does help you over-perform.

No miracles in the Champions League though. We put up a decent fight but lost to BATE Borisov in the 2nd qualifying round.

I'm still playing as KooTeePee and am trying to build the club, albeit on very limited funds but whether I stay with KooTeePee or take another job, I'll going to see how far this tactic can take me.

One thing about it - I think the BWM is crucial. Get that player right and many other things flow - get him wrong and it falls apart.

Dont know whats happened, Iv gone half way through the season sitting 1/2nd in the league the whole way. Then all of a sudden go past January Spend my whole budget on a Marquee striker signing and cant buy a win. Ill stick with it but atm its looking like another season in the championship.

Im just conceding goals from corners for fun even to the point where my own players are putting it in the net for them.

Best tactic I've used!! Just won the Quadruple in my 3rd season with Man Utd, 1st full season using this tactic!

As for advise on players I've found that:

Mitrovic and RVP are absolute beasts in the SCL position! Mitrovic just won European Golden Boot and Top Player at the age of 21!!

V.Fischer is also unreal in the AML slot.

Nick Powell is a good shout for the MCL position and averages 7.32

Ravel Morrison is also a good shout in the AMR although I haven't used him there as often as I'd like since I'm trying to get Adnan to have the same effect as Fischer but in the AMR position.

Archived