Mr Hough The Beast Is Back Tactic Thread FM14

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, after playing for quite some time with the tactics from Mr. Rosler (Silk&Steel - Rainmaker) I thought it became time to have a tactic with less specific demands for players and positions. As a fan of Mr. Hough's tactics (was enjoying them hugely in 2011 & 2012) I wanted to give this tactic a chance. First I was a bit "scared" as someone said that this tactic was for big clubs only.

Well, after my first season in Liga Adelante with Ponferradina (one of the favourites for the drop) I can say that this tactic works wonders with small teams too as I'm promoted to Liga BBVA. Anyway, the ONLY thing I've changed was, like others in this thread suggested, to put my quickest central defender in "cover" which made that my defensive record is the best in the league while, despite having mediocre forwards, I have the best score-line also.

Mr. Hough, people are asking for player filters and stuff well, people, you don't need them. Just think logically, and try to get the best players possible for the particular positions. If you see a winger f.e. that's good in dribbling, pace and crossing I suppose you can figure out yourself that this lad will be a good winger in your tactic, no? If you have a central defender that has 16 for jumping reach but he sucks in terms of marking you won't be too surprised if he wins a lot of headers but he let go away his man all the time.

Or if he's weak in positioning you can know for yourself that he won't be the man placed in the right position to cut off the path of an attacker when he's through to goal.

I'm not making fun of people asking the most details possible to get the best out of a tactic created by someone else, I understand it. For a long time I was insecure about a lot of things, I was trying to get in the heads of the creators but in fact, this game is so more much fun when you just download the tactic, look around for yourself how the tactic is build, the purposes behind it, and then you can see for yourself what you need in the game.

And, after all, it's not too complicated neither as it took me only 1 minute to read how the team's supposed to play in the tactical screen where I've looked after the general and individual orders for the team as a whole and each position in particular. But again, in fact you just have to shred off the insecurity about thinking that you're not capable of understanding football in terms of tactics and what they do to your style of play or which players you need to get the best out of it.

My team's by far one of the weakest, but I just got good players for each position, in fact, my standard squad filled quite good the positions demanded as I had two players capable of playing as playmakers in front of defence, I've got 2 lads capable of being ball winning midfielders, my wingers were mediocre but by training them in their roles they progressed throughout the season to become perfect matches for their duties, my strikers got loads of chances and they've missed a lot but because chances came around so much they scored for fun in the end. (scoring three goals in a game while you've missed 10 occasions doesn't matter when in the end you have 32 league goals for a team that's supposed to be down the league.) Maybe their goal/shot percentage is below 10% I don't care as long as they score at least a few of the many occasions they've got throughout a match.

Anyway, in terms of match preparation I did exactly what Mr. Hough described in his opening post and for the pitch size I had the standard size (105 x 70) for Ponferradina.

It's sometimes just a matter of downloading a tactic, reading a bit in-game how it's supposed to be played, and then to start off and don't look back. Confidence in your own abilities rather than be looking to have an answer on each of your questions.

And, finally, my backs didn't got too many cards but if they would, I would simply demand them to put off a bit to try to ease down that matter, like others said already in this thread before me. It's not rocket science after all, just a computer game. ;)

Ok, after playing for quite some time with the tactics from Mr. Rosler (Silk&Steel - Rainmaker) I thought it became time to have a tactic with less specific demands for players and positions. As a fan of Mr. Hough's tactics (was enjoying them hugely in 2011 & 2012) I wanted to give this tactic a chance. First I was a bit "scared" as someone said that this tactic was for big clubs only.

Well, after my first season in Liga Adelante with Ponferradina (one of the favourites for the drop) I can say that this tactic works wonders with small teams too as I'm promoted to Liga BBVA. Anyway, the ONLY thing I've changed was, like others in this thread suggested, to put my quickest central defender in "cover" which made that my defensive record is the best in the league while, despite having mediocre forwards, I have the best score-line also.

Mr. Hough, people are asking for player filters and stuff well, people, you don't need them. Just think logically, and try to get the best players possible for the particular positions. If you see a winger f.e. that's good in dribbling, pace and crossing I suppose you can figure out yourself that this lad will be a good winger in your tactic, no? If you have a central defender that has 16 for jumping reach but he sucks in terms of marking you won't be too surprised if he wins a lot of headers but he let go away his man all the time.

Or if he's weak in positioning you can know for yourself that he won't be the man placed in the right position to cut off the path of an attacker when he's through to goal.

I'm not making fun of people asking the most details possible to get the best out of a tactic created by someone else, I understand it. For a long time I was insecure about a lot of things, I was trying to get in the heads of the creators but in fact, this game is so more much fun when you just download the tactic, look around for yourself how the tactic is build, the purposes behind it, and then you can see for yourself what you need in the game.

And, after all, it's not too complicated neither as it took me only 1 minute to read how the team's supposed to play in the tactical screen where I've looked after the general and individual orders for the team as a whole and each position in particular. But again, in fact you just have to shred off the insecurity about thinking that you're not capable of understanding football in terms of tactics and what they do to your style of play or which players you need to get the best out of it.

My team's by far one of the weakest, but I just got good players for each position, in fact, my standard squad filled quite good the positions demanded as I had two players capable of playing as playmakers in front of defence, I've got 2 lads capable of being ball winning midfielders, my wingers were mediocre but by training them in their roles they progressed throughout the season to become perfect matches for their duties, my strikers got loads of chances and they've missed a lot but because chances came around so much they scored for fun in the end. (scoring three goals in a game while you've missed 10 occasions doesn't matter when in the end you have 32 league goals for a team that's supposed to be down the league.) Maybe their goal/shot percentage is below 10% I don't care as long as they score at least a few of the many occasions they've got throughout a match.

Anyway, in terms of match preparation I did exactly what Mr. Hough described in his opening post and for the pitch size I had the standard size (105 x 70) for Ponferradina.

It's sometimes just a matter of downloading a tactic, reading a bit in-game how it's supposed to be played, and then to start off and don't look back. Confidence in your own abilities rather than be looking to have an answer on each of your questions.

And, finally, my backs didn't got too many cards but if they would, I would simply demand them to put off a bit to try to ease down that matter, like others said already in this thread before me. It's not rocket science after all, just a computer game. ;)

Great feedback. How do you divide your time between Match Training and General Training? I had mine set on 40% on match preparation which seemed to give better performances on the pitch but also caused some of my players to become unhappy with their light training load...

Just to give you guys an update, I have had a chat with Mr.Hough, and he is getting married at the weekend, so all his time and energy has been focused on that, so I would like to be the first to say Congrats mate, we all appreciate what you do for the forums, and I am glad your marrying the woman of your dreams! Take your time and savour these moments!

Great feedback. How do you divide your time between Match Training and General Training? I had mine set on 40% on match preparation which seemed to give better performances on the pitch but also caused some of my players to become unhappy with their light training load...

Hehe, the same as you, 40%, but I suppose my players are lazy as I didn't had one single complaint about a training load being too light. :D It's something I'll look after when the new season kicks off but it'll be for tomorrow as I'm at work currently and unfortunately I'm not paid for playing FM :(

This tactics has completely collapsed for me now. Lost 5 in a row, all against much worse opposition. Plenty of shots on goal, yet losing when the opposition only have a couple in the whole game.

I had an issue with not getting the wins I was expecting. I think I got about 3 points from 5 league games even though I was dominating all of them and the oppo was poor. I was about to change it, but decided to power through and won the next 7!

I say stick with it, good luck

Hello everyone, sorry for my English, I often read your discussions on tactics, helping with google translate: D.

I am using this tactic, and I wanted to ask you if the only change you make is to put the cover central defender faster.

I just tried this change, I got 2 games lost

Hello everyone, sorry for my English, I often read your discussions on tactics, helping with google translate: D.

I am using this tactic, and I wanted to ask you if the only change you make is to put the cover central defender faster.

I just tried this change, I got 2 games lost

4 lost games have become. : (

I use the match as a pre workout mov off. 30%

as weekly training manual rotation TACTICS - DEFENCE - TACTICS - ATTACK. each month

Just to give you guys an update, I have had a chat with Mr.Hough, and he is getting married at the weekend, so all his time and energy has been focused on that, so I would like to be the first to say Congrats mate, we all appreciate what you do for the forums, and I am glad your marrying the woman of your dreams! Take your time and savour these moments!

Congrats Mr. Hough. I hope all goes to plan for your weekend nuptials. As many have said thanks for the work you put in on these forums. I'll be trying out the tactic with my Dortmund side sometime this weekend and report back.

change training match , home def.pos. away defend , work good.
+ one CB put on cover like someone else mentioned got me promoted with Barnsley to the Premier League in the first season through the Play Offs.

Now preparing for life in the Premier League with a low wage budget and only around 11 million € (I guess around 9 M £?) to do some transfers... ;) (edit, I had to adjust my budgets, lower down tranfer money to have more wage budget available as I really needed an extra winger for the Premier League but due to a dull clause I've accepted in the new contract for Jacob Mellis his wage nearly doubled at getting promoted so I didn't had any free space on the wage budget. I bought Junior Stanislas from Burnley as they got relegated to League 1 I could get him on the cheap) *edit* And of course, in the meantime a disaster never comes alone, my first choice GK injured himself for up to 7 months so I needed to lower down any further the transfer budget to allow myself some wage budget for a new number one goalie as my second man is far from ready to play in the Premier League... :(

Anyway, this tactic's the best for me so far in FM14.

Some extra info before I post the screenshots, this was an old save from me where I've started with the tactics of Mr. Rosler but I had very mixed results. I hang around 10th place with my Barnsley-team which wasn't that bad for a team predicted 22nd.

I've sold my wingers in pre-season as I didn't need them for the tactic so I could free up some space on wages which I did.

On the 21st of December I've started playing with this tactic, against Leeds, and from there on I rose up through the ranks to be battling with Nottingham Forest for the second automatic promotion spot. A few draws and an odd loss in the end made me finish third.

In the Play Offs I've met Bournemouth which I easily overcame 4-1 and 2-1 to meet Reading at Wembley. I scored 1-0 to be denied shortly after when Luke Steele (my GK) made his first and only error of the season. The game itself was a tense and nervous affair especially in the second half when Reading was the better team. We hold on to 1-1 and went into ET. No goals scored despite me being the dominant side and it went to penalties which we won 4-3.

Of course, as I did sold my wingers in pre-season I only had Dale Jennings and Tomasz Cywka left and decided to play Jennings as the left winger and Cywka as a right winger until January where I could buy an extra winger. Due to very limited resources I brought in Stephen McLaughlin from Nottingham Forest. Now I had three players for 2 positions but I gambled on the fact that my wingers quite never picked up any cards so far (on the very short term I was playing the tactic :) ) so I was hoping those three could hold on until the end without any injuries, fatigue or suspensions, which, in the end, they did.

Now I'm figuring out how to post screenshots so you guys can witness with your own eyes that I'm no joker. ;)

Anyway, this tactic on the current patch is working as a dream which makes me anxious for the day the new patch comes out. :D

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1486x836q90/46/vwv3.png

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1486x836q90/802/oexy.png

Team training:

In pre-season I do this, like Mr. Hough said in his OP. Afterwards I follow the simple but effective routine mentioned by mielony while the general training stays on "developing automatics" or something (I play the game in my language which isn't English :) . The only thing I mention right now by posting this screen is that normally during pre-season I don't give a day's rest before and after a game, this I do however throughout the season without any exception. (forgot to change it at the beginning of pre-season)

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1486x836q90/850/8hw0.png

And just a stupic screenie showing my tiny Barnsley-side among the big guns in the Premier League, or, how a computer game can make an adult man like myself be sitting proud in front of his laptop at home while he's enjoying a day off from work to play FM :D (quite sad, I know haha)

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1486x836q90/38/902t.png

And a screen of my "heroes" who are going to give their all to stay up in the money-league :D I play CM/FM for years and from my own experience I can say that getting promoted too quickly sometimes is a problem. As the reputation of Barnsley grew slightly but not hugely after promotion I couldn't attract any proven Premier League-players as for first, with a wage-budget of around (originally) 700 k € a MONTH (now increased to 974 k a month which left me with only a tight 6 million on transfer funds) I can't afford to pay hundreds of thousands of Euro's on salary for just one player and secondly, even players from the relegated sides earn easily the double of my best paid players actually so I need to rely on team-spirit and good bargains from the lower leagues.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1486x836q90/856/8vph.png

My tactic with my starting eleven if no new injuries arrive before the season kicks off in 2 weeks:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1486x836q90/541/teyd.png

Here's my transfers in first and second season, and then I'll leave you guys alone.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1486x836q90/838/5wki.png

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1486x836q90/600/hdps.png

ATM everything's going fine with my Barnsley-side in the Premier League. 2 league-games, 2 victories (2-1 away to Fulham and 2-1 at home against Sunderland) only to be followed by a disappointing 2-0 defeat at home vs Huddersfield in the league cup but I kept my best players off the field to be completely rested for the away game at Liverpool the weekend after.

An attacking modification that seems to be working well for me is changing the MCL to an advanced playmaker (attack). I think it links the midfield to attack better?

ok thanks for this and you make this ?

"Drop the D-Line to Much deeper and Play with the Offside"

do you change mentality for away game ?

Thought I'd try this with spurs. It's pretty awesome. I've played 20 games and haven't lost yet.

I haven't smashed any teams but it seems to be the best tactic I've used so far and I've tried alot. It gets the most shots on goal anyway.

I need to try it with my Wycombe save. I won the premier league with them last season using rainmaker etc so don't have any real wingers. I guess that will be more of a test as I'm in 2018 with that.

Thought I'd try this with spurs. It's pretty awesome. I've played 20 games and haven't lost yet.

I haven't smashed any teams but it seems to be the best tactic I've used so far and I've tried alot. It gets the most shots on goal anyway.

I need to try it with my Wycombe save. I won the premier league with them last season using rainmaker etc so don't have any real wingers. I guess that will be more of a test as I'm in 2018 with that.

Hi man, can you please give your first 11 plus the position in which you play them as well as i'm playing Spurs as well? thx.

I think I'm in love with this tactic. I have used it as a basis for making my own (same formation, use of defensive wingers) and have come up with this:

72de28f1457c3bb9c64f1849c9a95e00.png

League table at the moment is perfect really (70 scored, 8 conceded. Got the park the tank achievement):

8418a79bcb8a03a1160562ea625f8d3f.png

I made some changes to the personal instructions to stop the yellow cards coming in from my full backs and ball winning midfielder, it doesn't do much to the tactic, infact, it has kind of improved it.

All in all, thanks very much for another tremendous tactic, Mr Hough. You're a complete legend. :)

I think I'm in love with this tactic. I have used it as a basis for making my own (same formation, use of defensive wingers) and have come up with this:

72de28f1457c3bb9c64f1849c9a95e00.png

League table at the moment is perfect really (70 scored, 8 conceded. Got the park the tank achievement):

8418a79bcb8a03a1160562ea625f8d3f.png

I made some changes to the personal instructions to stop the yellow cards coming in from my full backs and ball winning midfielder, it doesn't do much to the tactic, infact, it has kind of improved it.

All in all, thanks very much for another tremendous tactic, Mr Hough. You're a complete legend. :)

can you put link for your tactic if i can try it

Been playing around with a new Tactic on the new patch with flat back 4 2 DM's and 1 CM and 3 STrikers, Working very very well at the minute and I'm off work for a few days so i'll be working on this all tomorrow and sunday so hopefully have something for Monday for you lot.

Has anyone got anything to report on this tactic with the new patch? Im almost scared to update my game in case it all goes wrong!!!!

Looking forward to trying out the new Hough tactic on Monday if it does though!!! ;)

3 games played 0 goals scored

3 games after 10 goals scored changed fluidity to very fluid. Corners are a no no though

Prior to tactic, same save as KTP in Finland, now I've gone to Brondby. Won league & cup double in first season, qualified for CL group stages. First two games, drew away at Shaktar and beat Man City 4-2 at our place!!!

Post 14.3 update.

Won 2 domestic games easily.

Lost in CL at home to Juventus by a single goal, had chances to score and win though.

Then lost a stinker to Silkeborg, but the kind of loss this tactic does produce if teams defend well against it.

On balance, too early to say whether Hough's tactic significantly impaired or not for certain, my instinct is that its effectiveness is reduced a little.

Here is a selection of Screens from my Middlesbrough Test, I will be doing More tests with More Teams just give me chance but at the minute I am very happy with the tactic overall.

Scoring Goals and Not Conceding

4-1-2-3TacticScreen_zps0a3ce3a6.jpg

BorovsDerby_zps03386d0a.jpg

BorovsWiganHT_zps755c8a99.jpg

After reaching the Skrill North playoffs last season with my team predicted to finish 20th, this season started very well and I was 3rd after 5 games. But since the patch I haven't won a single league game, currently looking like relegation is a certainty! :(

Where are the goals coming from in your new tactic Mr Hough?

Mainly the 3 ST's

I have changed the formation slightly to try and make it more stable at the back because I have been lucky in some games and I don't wanna feel like I am being lucky in games I wanna win comfortable

I Have tried a variation of 4-2-1-3 and 5-2-3. I'll post up more screens later in the day

Brilliant mate, I know you said Monday any chance today :thup:

I wouldn't have thought so Jason, I am having some issues with the through balls from the wings so I am currently trying to get my fullbacks to defend quicker.

Once I get that sorted I am gonna try and see what I can do in attack because although I am scoring 2 a game I want that to be up to 2.5 to 3 a game if I can

I wouldn't have thought so Jason, I am having some issues with the through balls from the wings so I am currently trying to get my fullbacks to defend quicker.

Once I get that sorted I am gonna try and see what I can do in attack because although I am scoring 2 a game I want that to be up to 2.5 to 3 a game if I can

No prob's mate I take it you will be making a new thread for this

Archived