FM14: GPTG General Advice and Tips - For those wanting Advice when no Official Thread exists

SRL88

Very much the same as last year. This was something in the GPTG that the moderators felt was massively needed to both help users our, but also reduce the number of threads being created which would then be closed and it turned out to be pretty effective.

Basically, in here, what we are offering is the opportunity for those playing as clubs without an Official Team Guide the ability to both ask for advice and give updates of their save.

We can offer you advice on teams, formations, players etc. Anything you want. What ever it is you need to ask, please do so we can give you the best possible advice until the specific guide is created.

Thanks

I like to spend lots of money and build my own team, anyone have any idea what team starts with the biggest transfer budget? Outside the obvious Man City, PSG and Monaco.

Shakthar Donetsk and Zenit have the biggest budgets I think.

First of all I want to say I want this to be a long thread where I deal with the positions in stages so I am going to start at the back. After these replacements have been dealt with, we can look further up the field.

Despite winning league 2 last season, Gillingham's team is simply not ready to play in League 1 at the start of the game - as in real life! Their defence is awful and they have a wrestler playing up front next to their best hope is Cody McDonald. Truly, making this team stay in League 1 this season will be harder than Coventry City who have been deducted 10 points after going into administration. I honestly believe this team would struggle to win League 2 in the game.0 Furthermore, there is little leeway in terms of a transfer budget but some good room available in the wage budget, but it can be changed, and also there are a few clauses worth good money we can clear out, and we can also release all reserves and the youth team since none of them are going to be any good ever. I'll keep Sam Muggleton on because of his long throw though.

Let's start with the defence, which IMO is the most glaringly weak aspect of the team.

Goalkeeper Stuart Nelson is probably the best element at the back and easily sufficient for this league. However there is no competent cover for him should he be injured, however I am not too worried about that.

At full back we have Matt Fish (who should be injured), Joe Martin and QPR loanee Michael Harriman. Of the three I would say that Harriman is the best and we may as well keep him, but all three are too slow to compete in this league. There is also no cover for Joe Martin. I feel here I need to replace the entire back line, whilst keeping Martin on for regrettable rotation, and Harriman on for a less regrettable rotation.

Both Adam Barrett and Leon Legge played in L1 before. Legge is better in the air and physically and the faster of the two, while 33 year old Barrett is far stronger mentally and slightly stronger defensively. Unfortunately neither are strong enough for League 1 and neither will improve.

In this area I am really looking for 15+ jumping and 13+ for marking, positioning and concentration. In full backs we need 12+ pace and 13+ acceleration.

In my current save I have signed Clive Delaney (17 concentration and 18 jumping, 13 marking 13 heading 12 positioning and 12 tackling, "a good league 2 player" are you kidding me?) and Marius Zaliukas (got sent off on his debut!), but having lost all my first 4 games I am willing to restart having learnt of my impending doom to improve upon my errors.

So let's begin. Suggest players!

If you start with past international footballer then your rep will be fairly big which will mean top clubs will be approaching you and lesser teams may not be interested as they feel that you would be out of their league as such. The best rep would be to start with either Automatic/Sunday League. Automatic, I believe makes it relative to what standard you're managing at. Whilst Sunday League would mean starting out at the basement leagues at best in England and other nations if you're lucky. That would be the root I'd go down anyway. Sunday League and try to build myself.

Seen as though NF hasn't pulled his finger out yet and created a Looking For thread I will ask in here.

Does anyone know any decent central midfielders to sign for Gateshead in January of the 1st season? Budget of £18k, but only £150 left on the wage budget so might have to do some shifting about.

Looking for some help with Leipzig in the German 3rd division. looks like a good save with a 44000 capacity ground and money which come in slowly. However i've really struggled in pre season getting battered by many teams at the same level as me. I was playing a 442 diamond. Wondering if anyone has had some success with them, what formation they played, signing etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chaps, I need an urgent response please.

Deadline day second season. I am playing as Newcastle. Just sold Cabaye to Real Madrid for 30M. Had a bid accepted for Grenier (Lyon), he has agreed a contract, was just about to agree the deal when i found out i could get Christian Eriksen for 17M rising to 23M.

Cabayes replacement will play cm with in an advanced playmaker roll. Grenier's natural position is cm, eriksen amc. But i dont think this should matter too much.

who should i go for?!!!! This could make or break my season!!

oh and there is an hour left of deadline day....

Deuce: I'm underway with a RB Leipzig save atm. Just about half way through first season and sitting in first.

I opted for a 3-5-2 fluid counter formation that plays pretty direct. I felt the strength of the team was the strong and tall DCs, of which RBL starts with several, so a 3 back line made sense to me. Unfortunately, the team is weak in the wingback department, so my only signings were a couple free WBs. I'm not at my pc, and their names elude me. One was a DL that played for RB Leip last year... a Turk. I also signed a decent 29 year old WBR German.

When looking for wingbacks in a 3-5-2 you can also convert wingers and wide midfielders for more attacking prowess. The 3 CDs and an anchor man keep the defense pretty tight, allowing your WBs to push higher up and provide width.

In the center of the field I play a DM (anchor) and either 2 b2b MCs, or 1 b2b and 1 DLP (the Brazilian kid).

Up top, obviously the two big guys. I usually go with a CF and a AF, but ideally I'd like to get Poulsen in to a poacher role once his finishing improves.

As a back up tactic I keep a 3-4-1-2 with a DM, DLP, and an AMC that is more about short passes and possession. ... but I find I do better with the counter tactic.

The team, without additions is good enough to shred the competition. In preseason I went undefeated against much tougher teams (Anzi, AJ Ajaccio, a German 2nd div team). If you feel you need more talent though, look for loans. I'm trying to steal Valentin Lazaro from the Red Bull parent clubs youth team, and they have a few other talented youngsters.

I've won La Liga, Copa del Rey and Europa League in first season without transfers except Damiao in January. Diego Costa made 31 goals and 9 assists but I've found him very inconsisten sometimes.

What was your transfer budget and wade budget?

I've disallowed the transfer window at the start. In the new season A LOT of offers came in and almost everyone was accepted except one... in deadline day PSG paid the clause of Koke at 40.5 M that's hurts.

My team now is this

ter Stegen

Peruzzi Miranda Alderweireld Davies

Valencia Nainggolan Suarez Candreva

Costa Ferreyra

Aranzubia

Manquillo Balanta Rojo Insua

Brandt Guilavogui Gabi Vitinho

Baptistao Werner

I've won La Liga, Copa del Rey and Europa League in first season without transfers except Damiao in January. Diego Costa made 31 goals and 9 assists but I've found him very inconsisten sometimes.

31 goals and inconsistent?! I wouldn't complain!!!

Has anyone else started a game with Udinese? I started off with a Watford save and realised that because of the affiliation between the clubs you could get a couple of Udinese fringe players for free, this then got me interested in starting a game with Udinese and you can get every single player from Watford and Granada for free :lol: So I've bought back the promising Italians from Watford and loaned them back to them, except for Battochio and Fabbrini, who I plan to use in the first team. I've also bought Brahimi and Gai Assulin from Granada. I went a bit OTT and went over my wage bill a bit though :o

Its a very unique save though, because obviously as promising players are bought for Granada and Watford, or youth players come through, you can snap them up for free and loan them back to the club to develop or loan them out elsewhere if you feel it'll benefit them more. It also means that you can stick to the Pozzo philosophy in real life and not have to buy many big names, as there are tons of youngsters with bags of potential out on loan already for Udinese, and combined with Watfords and Granadas youth, it should keep you going for a while :)

• 2 weeks later...
Since there is no Barca thread yet for 2014 (anyone knows if someone is making one this year?), I was wondering, who did you sign/would you recommend as Valdes replacement and how much did you pay for it? Thanks

I'm having a similar problem to you. I wanted a sweeper keeper and the only few players that seem capable of following Valdes are De Gea, Lloris and Reina. I've been tapping up De Gea for the entirety of the first season and the summer window but United are demanding at least £85m for him. Courtois is being priced at around £45m by Chelsea, whilst Liverpool want £25m for Reina. It's a bit of a nightmare for me at the moment really.

I'm also hesitating between De Gea and Courtois, if I can get one of them (wish theere was a way to ask to the board to try and sign specific player) or Ter Stegen but my offer of 20m Euros got rejected

I managed to snag De Gea for £25m on the 28th August after he handed in a transfer request. A little worried at his Rushing Out attribute though (5) after having Valdes with 19 Rushing Out.

ended up buying Courtois for 55m €, biggest spending I madeon all C/FM I played, let's see how it will unfold :)

IN fairness for that you've got one of the best keepers in the game for the next 10-15 years. Works out at less than £5m a season.

yup, still needs to start thoug, he got injured in pre season and will miss half of September, rlying on Pinto in the mean time :)

Any news about a Barca thread for FM14? Who will be doing it?

I had the exact same issue when I bought De Gea; because it was so late in to August I had already played 2 La Liga games plus the Spanish Super Cup (which I won against Real) before De Gea joined, so Pinto got games in those matches and did alright.

At one point I had only Olazabal as a recognised goalkeeper in my squad, I actually let Pinto leave when his contract ran out before panicking as I couldn't find another GK so I re-signed him. He went from ~£40k p/w wages to just £10k p/w as well though, which was a bonus.

You guys managing in the Championship might want to check out former Fenerbache star Alex. He might be 36, and his physical stats might suck (other than Natural Fitness), but check out those technical and mental stats! He's just finished a season in the Brazilian league with 25 goals in 47 starts, 13 assists, and 20 MOTM awards, with an AVR of 7.79. Definitely worth checking out, especially considering his wages are so low, and he's on the transfer list by request on my game, asking price of £350k. Here's a screenshot:

ScreenShot2013-11-26at154000_zps4ee2c9d6.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Normally play as Ajax in the Dutch league but after looking at PSVs squad this season I've decided to start one with them and loving it so far! Their whole team is mostly young, with some very special players like Zakaria Bakkali, Memphis Depay, Jeffrey Bruma, Adam Maher and Oscar Hijlemark. They've also got the history of great players such as Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo, I'd definitely reccomend it to anyone looking for a new team!

I'm thinking of doing something a bit 'seasonal' which will be new territory for me too. Whilst watching the Ashes debacle, the only thing that seemed to be performed with any degree of success was the early morning 'Jerusalem' song, courtesy of the Barmy Army. So what better place to go for a new Christmas FM14 job than...Beitar Jerusalem!

I've never managed in Israel before, but have been monitoring some of the clubs and players over there during my Portsmouth stint. I'm quite interested in taking on Maccabi Tel Aviv sometime, to see if I can get them to make any kind of impact in European competitions, and they have a much better squad than relegation-threatened Beitar. However, for the following reasons, I will probably be tempted to Beitar in the next day or so:

1. They play at the Teddy Stadium - what a glorious name!

2. It's Christmas, it's Jerusalem!

3. It's more of a challenge than Maccabi Tel Aviv/Haifa and most of the others (though Hapoel Beer Sheva was a contender, for obvious festive reasons)

4. The kit looks quite decent (and better than MTA's kit)

5. I can forget about the Ashes

Hopefully this little festive exercise should aid me if/when I decide to have a crack at Maccabi Tel Aviv one day...

If anyone else has tried this, or thinks they might, I'd be happy to hear from you. Seasons greetings all, in any case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived