Ps4/xbox one

console are pretty much to press the hardware to the max and get a enjoyable game experience out of it

since fm is a 32 bit application, and i just gonna assume its not changing for fm14, theres really no point of making a 32bit game for a next-gen console..

I highly doubt consoles have the processing power needed to run as many teams and leagues as you would want. USed to have "onside" back in '97 or whatnot and that had a pretty decent manager mode, nowhere near as complex as fm, but i feel thats the closest its ever got.

I can't think of anything I'd rather do less than try to use a controller- PS or otherwise- to play FM.

On Xbox One you can just use the Kinect!

While it watches you.

And listens to you.

Every second.

And whenever a new person enters the room, it stops what it's doing and demands the new person to explain themselves.

And you ask it to stop, and it just says "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

On Xbox One you can just use the Kinect!

While it watches you.

And listens to you.

Every second.

And whenever a new person enters the room, it stops what it's doing and demands the new person to explain themselves.

And you ask it to stop, and it just says "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Voice commands may confuse the xbox as well when you start shouting abuse at your players for playing poorly :D

Voice commands may confuse the xbox as well when you start shouting abuse at your players for playing poorly :D

This would, on the other hand, be amazing.

"OUTSIDE, GO ON... HIT IT! HIT IT! YEEEEEEEES! GET IN!"

Out of general curiosity, any chance the new consoles will be able to handle FM ? Heard they are going to be using PC processors, it should be able to handle FM just like computers do. Played the old Xbox Football Manager and as fun as it was, took forever to load so I can see why they wouldnt bother again.

The hardware would be able to handle FM, the questions is whether a port to the OS would be easy & of course whether there would be significant demand for a game that is a real time sink in the console market.

I would guess they could handle the game but i dont think ppl would be playing the likes of football manager on them i just cant see fm taking off on any console even if the consoles could handle them.This is just what i think having played champ man/fm since the very early days and having consoles and a pc i guess only time will tell

It is in no way a console game. It works perfectly as a PC game, something that can be playing in the background while you do other things. It would be so boring to play on a console, when all you can do while it is processing is watch the screen.

Anyway, it didn't sell well enough last time they tried it, they got burnt, so I doubt they'll try it again.

I think if a FM game was ever to be successful on next-gen consoles, it would have to be released as a digital Xbox Live Arcade style-game, and probably more to the challenge style focus of the portable version.

I say that because there is no way console gamers are going to pay £35 for FM on consoles when they could get Fifa for that price instead.

It's a different audience with different tastes.

The problem with a console release is that the controller makes for a difficult control method. Using the controller to cycle through players and lists, for example the player search screens, isn't good enough. It would sell plenty on the new consoles if they marketed it properly. I think Kinnect voice controls would be a good way to make it more playable. But for the developers I guess it's a case of how much of a risk it is to spend the money on developing a worthy console release versus the easy cash cow that is the PC market.

The problem with a console release is that the controller makes for a difficult control method.

This. It would be very hard to navigate without a mouse. Maybe some sort of motion control with point and click could work.

• 2 weeks later...

I find a pad to actually be quicker and more intuitive to control FM with than dragging a cursor round the screen clicking on buttons everywhere personally, so I'm the opposite. FM '06 on Xbox 360 is still one of the best games in the whole series in my opinion.

I'd love to see a next gen console version and the hardware is more than capable (8gb of RAM, phenomenonal!), I fear however SI's main concern was porting the UI over to TV's and the control setup not being to everyone's taste more than demand as such.

That said, I'd gladly pay for a game like the original CM's or FMH on XBLA/PSN though too! :) I'd make it myself if I knew where to start! lol

This. It would be very hard to navigate without a mouse. Maybe some sort of motion control with point and click could work.

Unfortunately it couldn't. It's a lot more annoying, time consuming etc using the motion control to select things than it is to just press buttons.

It would have to be a PSP style control option (the original FM 360 controls were horrific) with a massively slimmed down game, or no-one will enjoy playing it.

FM06 is one of the best in the series IMO, the pad controls are really intuitive in that if all you PC fellas would actually give it a chance like I did.. :) Granted, 07 and 08 got a bit fiddly.. :p lol

I've actually gone off the PC version in recent incarnations due to havinf to drag a mouse cursor round the screen trying to find the button I want, it's become too confusing and long-winded now, the console UI forced the game to make everything more streamlined and I find it more enjoyable as a result.

Not everyone liked it of course and SI said at the time that the UI, coupled with adapting it for TV's, were the main reasons behind scrapping further sequels.

However they didn't rule out a return for console FM, so hopefully now the hardware is finally more than capable, you SI folks may be looking into it again at some point..? :)

Pretty sure next gen consoles will have a form of a football management sim. I am sure EA will try Milk something out if not SI

There is a Market now LMA has gone. LMA had a 3d match before SI which probably forced the issue for SI. The new consoles wont have any problem handling any of the current FM

games.

I don't think it was ever really a matter of whether consoles could handle the game. With careful porting the current generation would have been able to. It simply didn't sell well enough, and SI won't go back to something they've dropped once before. Far too much to lose with little to gain given how profitable it already is just sold on PC

With Sega/Nintendo current buddy buddy status I doubt it

That's a good point, and one that's actually set me thinking, there is a next-gen console that could well be suited to FM- and it's the Wii U, of all things. Think about it- the GamePad could quite handily perform the role of a mouse/keyboard, in not too dissimilar a way to a tablet. And, with Off-TV play, there'd be potential for some kind of FMC/FMH-style walkaway game to take with you- essentially, turning an FM game into a portable one. Similarly, using the GamePad's screen for things like scouring for transfers, dealing with contracts etc. whilst the main screen is looking at something else. During matches, I can see it being an excellent always-open tactics control.

But there are two big- possibly insurmountable obstacles. First, the Wii U has a completely different target audience to games like FM. It's not designed as a machine to appeal to serious gamers, which is probably why it hasn't come up in this thread so far, despite its suitability. I'm starting to think of Nintendo hardware as toys, rather than consoles.

And secondly, regardless of the audience, sales for the Wii U have been really sluggish. Producing FM for it would not only be aiming at a market that wouldn't traditionally be associated with playing a stats-heavy sim, but also at one that's not especially large to begin with. Despite the possibility of new functions using the GamePad which would benefit the game, the juice probably wouldn't be worth the squeeze in porting it over.

It's only "GameCube technology" in the sense that some parts of the architecture are backwards-compatible and use similar things. Performance-wise, it's slower than the Xbox 360 and PS3, but it's not that much worse. It completely flattens the GameCube in terms of performance (you're talking a decade's worth of processor development between the two).

The architecture is very different to a PC, much like the PS3's Cell is very different to a PC. The Wii U doesn't have the ridiculous processing power of the PS3, though - but then again, very little actually needs the ridiculous processing power of the PS3. The Wii U does have a better GPU and is geared towards the GPU.

A few things might make a port actually better than the Xbox 360 and PS3 - out-of-order execution, larger memory and larger caches. The former means that "branchy" code will usually execute quicker, and the larger amount of memory is always great and held back the PS3. The main drawback is the lack the raw floating-point processing power of Xenon or Cell. The GPU would easily handle the match engine (it's based on the Radeon 4000 series, after all).

So I wouldn't say it has no hope in hell - I wouldn't be surprised if it theoretically could, and could be a better port than the PS3 or Xbox 360.

And the XBox One has just been announced at £429.00 in the UK (compared with $499 in the US, equivalent to about £320).

That massive markup is gonna stunt UK sales for the console, at least initially, assuming the PS4 is released at a lower price. With FM being a game developed in the UK, with a large segment of its fanbase in the UK, I'd suggest that'd make an XBox One version of FM even less attractive a proposition.

The main barrier is the consumer & what they expect from console titles, FM doesn't really lend itself to the core console demographic & I imagine the widely held opinion is that console owners who are interested in FM will already have it on one of the existing platforms.

Personally I wouldn't even waste resources on considering conducting an investigation into the size of the potential market & the costs of getting prime marketing real estate upon release would undoubtedly be incredibly expensive when you consider what other console titles come out at the same time as FM.

And the XBox One has just been announced at £429.00 in the UK (compared with $499 in the US, equivalent to about £320).

State it as '$671'. If they want to tell the exchange rate to **** off, then I'll do as they wish and use USD.

So who wants to spend $671 on a company that charges and restricts people at every possible opportunity? The company that tried to charge people for BBC Iplayer?

I'd rather they brought out a new version of LMA Manager, it's the only management game that's ever really worked on a console.

this. I loved LMA Manager so much, every one right from 2000 (I think that was first one), tried it on PC but is not the same as PS2, Football Manager is great too but I always loved LMA! FM on PC, LMA on consoles, thats how it should be!

Archived