Spain vs Italy, KO: 7:45pm Sunday

Leppard

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Villa as a back-up player would be pretty good. :D

Puyol not being there will be a big blow. Arbeloa isn't very good and Ramos is needed at right-back. So, someone needs to step up in defense.

Juanfran :cool:

Should have been starting ahead of Arbeloa in this tournament tbh :mad: Or alternatively Martinez/Dominguez/Boita etc at CB and Ramos at RB.

Would expect Xavi to still be in the squad at 34 as long as he doesn't retire from international football, his game has never relied on pace so as long as he keeps himself fit he'll be fine. It'll be interesting to see Thiago try and break through into both this Spain and Barca squad in the mean time though.

Juan Mata has scored in his first game in the PL, FA Cup, CL, and the Euros. What a guy :cool:

wrong, he made his debut in the CL for Valencia in the 07/08 season and didnt score ;)

Congratulations to Spain. They were good today and were good for the whole tournament. Their players were technically superb, and they deserve the cup. Xavi was the man for today, and I think Torres will score a lot of goals next season.

But Spain's win today has "buts" and "ifs". In the buildup to the final, I stated that Italy's fatigue would be the determining factor today. From the moment the players sang the national anthem, I got the feeling that they wouldn't deliver. Marchisio didn't have energy, and De Rossi was done after ten minutes. The negative things: why Balotelli couldn't complete simple passes and why Cesare Prandelli took Montolivo off and brought Motta in. The positive things: how the players kept trying, especially Barzagli, Bonucci, and Pirlo. The sorries: I think Chiellini should reconsider his formula for a speedy recovery before he wrecks his body in five years. Italy kept fighting, but with ten men, the belief was unfortunately gone.

Once again, congratulations to Spain who prove themselves to be the best. Well done to Italy to make it through to the final with determination after the stuff happening in the way to day one. They can go home with a straight head.

Player of the tournament: Andrea Pirlo.

Italy never really settled into the game and Spain didn't allow them either.

How much longer have Iniesta and Xavi got exactly? I don't see why this group won't also be in the latter stages of the next World Cup or win it tbh

Not read the thread, are the people that have called Spain boring and defensive every game back to being top fans now?

Anyway, I thought it was a great final, regardless of whether they scored 2, 3, 4 or 10. Out of the six games, Italy are the only team that's tried to play football against Spain (twice) and Prandelli deserves praise for that. On the other hand, Spain proved again what happens when teams do that.

If Iniesta isn't remembered by everyone in Spain as the greatest player of this generation, something is wrong with the world.

Archived