Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

the breakdown of the 10 will be interesting

I think their main argument will centre around the fact that he had an 8 game ban last season for lack of discipline and that clearly hasn't acted as a deterent to him so the punishment increases. I don't think they look at each situation on an individual basis as such, but its almost certain they have taken into account his past convictions such as the racism row and the giving the finger to Fulham fans.

If we appeal this I am sure the ban will increase - we should just take it on the chin and hope he learns from his lessons.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Criminal lawyers are permitted to use character evidence when dealing with punishment (even if unrelated), so it's probably the same here. Only difference in a criminal court is that the accused's counsel would also be allowed to counter the bad character evidence. Doesn't seem like he's been given that opportunity here, even if he's not got much by way of mitigation!

It's pretty crap from a legal standpoint if they use previous - completely unrelated - offences to issue an extended ban on this one. Fairly sure that wouldn't stand up in front of CAS.

How can they possibly be unrelated? they happened on a football pitch. Not to mention he has bitten someone before (but that was in another country, The FA can't know about that)

That's like saying if you get caught drink driving after you drove without a licence then the first incident shouldn't be taken into consideration.

Suarez has brought the game into disrepute on many occasions and they will all tally up.

Ten games is about right honestly given his history over the past few years and the media hysteria regarding everything he does on the pitch. I would be way more concerned about next season because anything he does will be magnified even worse leading to players like Huth free to do what they do and be covered because 'it's suarez he's a &&*&^' etc

How can they possibly be unrelated? they happened on a football pitch. Not to mention he has bitten someone before (but that was in another country, The FA can't know about that)

That's like saying if you get caught drink driving after you drove without a licence then the first incident shouldn't be taken into consideration.

Suarez has brought the game into disrepute on many occasions and they will all tally up.

I'm actually baffled not only that you believe that, or that you think your analogy is in any way remotely applicable, and I honestly can't be bothered to attempt to argue against absurdity, so: :D :headdesk:

Posted this also in the ban thread, but I am too am looking forward to the FA breakdown of this. Especially as Defoe was not punished at all for biting Mascherano a few years back...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-412157/Mascherano-rages-FA-punish-Defoe.html

If the FA were that hot on biting they could have thrown the book at Defoe but used "the referee saw something" excuse, but surely if Suarez is extreme circumstances then so was Defoe. I`m a West Ham fan but I feel sorry for Suarez in all of this. Sure ban him till the end of the season, but a 10 game ban is just ridiculous.

I heard that they were more governed by FIFA laws back at the time of the Defoe incident, which prevented them taking action even in extreme circumstances.

Still, doesn't get away from the fact that the FA are a joke and proving it again here.

10 games would be acceptable if they dealt with other incidents properly, but as it is it feels unfair and like they're issuing extreme bans in some circumstances and not others.

If this is the start of them using common sense to issue bans then i'd be all for the 10 game ban, but it doesn't feel like that at all.

I heard that they were more governed by FIFA laws back at the time of the Defoe incident, which prevented them taking action even in extreme circumstances.

Still, doesn't get away from the fact that the FA are a joke and proving it again here.

10 games would be acceptable if they dealt with other incidents properly, but as it is it feels unfair and like they're issuing extreme bans in some circumstances and not others.

If this is the start of them using common sense to issue bans then i'd be all for the 10 game ban, but it doesn't feel like that at all.

So, because they have messed up before, they shouldn't get this one right?

I hope to god we sell him. I really do. That's my last word on it.

Tough game at the weekend. Despite Newcastle's league position, they do have a good team and playing away is always hard.

A run of games without Suarez being the focal point will be very interesting. We've obviously spoken quite a bit in here before about how many moves we feel break down with him being the main target, so will watch with interest to see how we play as a team without his brilliance and without the frustration.

I hope to god we sell him. I really do. That's my last word on it.

Tough game at the weekend. Despite Newcastle's league position, they do have a good team and playing away is always hard.

A run of games without Suarez being the focal point will be very interesting. We've obviously spoken quite a bit in here before about how many moves we feel break down with him being the main target, so will watch with interest to see how we play as a team without his brilliance and without the frustration.

Seems to try and do too much with the ball, one more dribble, one more player to beat. Sturridge seems to be a bit more direct, quicker to pull the trigger.

Jay Spearing won our supporters' player of the season earlier this evening. He has been impressive all season, the past 3 months in particular.

Happy for the lad, his attitude and desire on the pitch is there for all to see. Hope he keeps improving year in year out.

Happy for the lad, his attitude and desire on the pitch is there for all to see. Hope he keeps improving year in year out.
Yeah i agree. The way some of our midfielders have performed this season i wouldn't have minded him as a back up option here.

Hopefully this season has improved him too, which it sounds like it has.

jay, while being an honest professional, should not be an option really.
He probably shouldn't be, no. But like i say if he'd have been around this season he definitely would have been, given some of the performances we've seen from Lucas and Allen especially since he's picked up that injury last year.

I'd much rather us sign in new players, and now it's looking more like we need an alternative to Lucas, rather than a back up for him. I just hope Lucas can come through a good pre-season stronger.

Been saying we need another defensive/deep lying mid for a while though, and it's never happened.

Probably shouldn't be? Short memories people have.
I never thought he was as bad as people made out, but then again at Liverpool you're either completely useless or world class if you listen to some people's judgements of players, and these perceptions can change game on game.

I think he's useful given our current squad. If we can sign other players, letting him go to play more regularly somewhere else, then great.

I never thought he was as bad as people made out, but then again at Liverpool you're either completely useless or world class if you listen to some people's judgements of players, and these perceptions can change game on game.

I think he's useful given our current squad. If we can sign other players, letting him go to play more regularly somewhere else, then great.

Yea I have this recollection of him single-handedly leaving our defence utterly exposed in a Cup Final. Maybe I'm just being too judgemental on him and I should let his lack of passing ability, tackling ability, and positional ability speak for itself.

He's probably on the same level as Assaidi ability wise, and on the same level as Wigan for turning up to games.

No thanks.

Seen enough of him to suggest that he is better than Assaidi, his goals for Sunderland alone back that up. Just haven't seen much else of what he does.

Seen enough of him to suggest that he is better than Assaidi, his goals for Sunderland alone back that up. Just haven't seen much else of what he does.

He's definitely considerably better than Assaidi, but his ability to turn up for games certainly equals that of Wigan. You could do better.

spearing wasn't too bad but his level is championship as we all noted when he was pushed into the team on account of being the only defensive midfielder we had available. hope he does well when we sell him in the summer, which we surely will.

Yea I have this recollection of him single-handedly leaving our defence utterly exposed in a Cup Final. Maybe I'm just being too judgemental on him and I should let his lack of passing ability, tackling ability, and positional ability speak for itself.
Yeah i think you are, and probably should.

I'd suggest that if one player can single handedly leave a defence exposed, then the problem is also with the team and the way it's set up.

It's not like he's the only player to ever defend badly in Liverpool's midfield. We've seen it all season this year.

so what needs to happen for us to be entered into the carling cup early and if we do how many league games is suarez going to miss?

i'm still not sure if he'll be here come next season btw, would've thought there'd be a good chance of him wanting to leave for champions league before he spazzed out again now i'm 50'/50 on if he'll go or not.

Who was that Argentinian fella we had who couldn't get a work permit? His name escapes me but i always thought he looked good at reserve level. Think he plays in Greece now.

leto? think he went to spain. might be thinking of someone else ofc.

so what needs to happen for us to be entered into the carling cup early and if we do how many league games is suarez going to miss?

i'm still not sure if he'll be here come next season btw, would've thought there'd be a good chance of him wanting to leave for champions league before he spazzed out again now i'm 50'/50 on if he'll go or not.

If we get in the Europa league via the fair play thing (hahaha) then those early qualifiers would count towards his ban!

how does that work? surely its only domestic games?
That's what i thought, but noticed it being mentioned on several news sites yesterday that they would count. Although internet news sites aren't the most reliable these days.

If we get in the Europa league via the fair play thing (hahaha) then those early qualifiers would count towards his ban!

No they wouldn't.

In the event that you qualified via the fair play league he would be eligible to PLAY in those as the ban is a 'domestic' ban only.

Archived