Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of Liverpool's main weakness is, once again, the wings. Borini does not belong there, and Sterling is way too young. Downing has been very disappointing since his move as well.

Perhaps, a change of formation is needed?

You have an abundance of central midfielders, especially once Lucas comes back. A 4-3-1-2 with Lucas, Allen, Sahin as the midfield 3 might just work. Borini will also get to play in the middle, as he probably prefers. Johnson is a very capable wingback. I don't know about Enrique. The 1 could be SG or SJ.

Wow today was bad. Gerrard had an absolute shocker, Suarez was bad and Reina, well he isnt helping his reputation!!!

We havent got the options to be able to chase the game at all. Sterling was a shining light today and I though Allen's ability to retain possession once again was fantastic. He is probably our best footballer to be honest.

You would have to ask spurs fans, I think it was pretty split. He did **** off a couple of managers there and to be fair the Spurs board are a little bit more clued up on football, so there was at least a safety net when it came to signing the cheques.

Yes mixed. Some really good buys on younger players, some pretty stupid ones too such as getting Bent for a club record fee when we had Defoe, Berba and Keane as well as gaping holes in midfield and defence.

Not an good afternoon for sure. Few bright spots.. Sterling (briliant again), Allen (good game again) and Shelvey. Also Sahin was not bad but did show that he has not played much lately thus should improve.

I don't know what is wrong with Suarez. His focus seems off and always tries to dribble past 7 defenders before falling down. He is not an poacher/targetman and should play wide. Maybe it is the pressure he has build upon himself... that needs to be off from him somehow.

Reina seems to be thinking margaritas too. Again soft goal and he just does not look focused either. I sure hope he bounces back now that he has time off due international matches.

Gerrard.. on and off.. maybe we should try Sahin or Shelvey in his role.

We do play good passing game at times but closer we get into opposition goal things just becomes stuck. There actually is not much traffic towards the box and Suarez is left alone there.

Pretty hard to take 3-4 opposition players with support... the goals were thin (at least we hid woodwork) with KD but now we are not even hitting that.

Hoping that we shall try with 2 pure strikers next time around... that is ironic since we don't have many left at the club but just maybe we get back to scoring ways.

Three games in the league without play situation goal is quite a lot and tells something.

Where is that Assaidi fellow? I gather he is injured or such since not included on the squad.

It seems Sunderland and Man Utd next... we need at least 4 points from those.

you know we hit the post today, right?

Yeah.. we hit it once in 2nd half. Hope they sort offensive part out.. partner for Suarez might do wonders. Borini is not getting up there to support him enough.

If Suarez ever finds the form he has had with Forlan upfront than we do not have worry about goals.

All the Borini hate in here is laughable to be honest. The kid has played 5 or 6 games for us and hasn't even had a run in his favoured central striking role. He would be a lot better there than Suarez who at the moment completely stinks the place out and should be put in the wider striking areas where he can get more room to run at players.

Read a couple of bits on the net about deadline day and it seems that the owners are furious with Ian Ayre and he could pay with his job. That would be a step in the right direction. Is David Dein available?

Yeah I heard something similar. I cant say I would be disappointed.

As i was saying, we need a goal scorer. possibility of Owen returning i have heard.. ;)..

the reason i say that, i think he could still score 20+ goals in this liverpool team with the chances we create providing we can keep him fit, obviously with the window shut, Owen beeing free he can join and we badly need another striker as we are so short..

if i'm honest' date=' i think we are desperate for him at this moment in time..[/quote']

A striker is needed I agree with that. I just hope that Rodgers isnt made a scapegoat in the whole situation but something does need addressing. Rather than talk about what we need though, the club should be looking at what was on the pitch today because there were some very, very poor performances, especially from our 'main two' in Gerrard & Suarez.

A striker is needed I agree with that. I just hope that Rodgers isnt made a scapegoat in the whole situation but something does need addressing. Rather than talk about what we need though, the club should be looking at what was on the pitch today because there were some very, very poor performances, especially from our 'main two' in Gerrard & Suarez.

Unfortunately we rely on them to much, if they play bad then it effects the whole team, Gerrard has carried Liverpool for years and has gave hid best years to us..

To look at things slightly differently, why *isn't* Borini playing through the middle already? Suarez hasn't been clinical enough in the last 18 months to show he should be playing there (and his success in Dutch football came from him playing out wide) so what is the rationale for it?

It's not so much an out and out striker we need as a forward / wide player. Fact is, when you're playing 4-3-3, you need a goal threat from all 3 of the forward players. Right now, Suarez is the only goal threat. He had a shocker today, but we know his quality. Borini is not a goal threat, Sterling is too young to rely on yet, Downing is a joke, and I'm not expecting much from Assaidi. If we had two wide players that might get goals, that alleviates the pressure and reliance on Suarez.

That's why Dempsey would have been ideal, and keeping one of Maxi / Bellamy / Kuyt. A forward 3 of Dempsey, Suarez, Bellamy would have a lot more tooth than Sterling, Suarez, Borini. We could get another striker (but it better not be Owen) but that means shunting Suarez to the wing, which I don't think would get the best out of him. He needs the freedom to play centre, and that would be fine if our wide players would get into the box and score some goals.

Borini needs time to develop. During that time he may well be utter ****. Unfortunately the current alternative is Downing, so we pretty much just need to deal with that.

Suarez can't be super awesome every game. Although his finishing is frustrating, he's still a huge goal and assist threat and has 2 goals in 4 games so far, which is the level of return we would expect from a top forward.

Sterling is also developing, and needs time, he's as much a part of the first team as anyone else and if he isn't contributing towards actual goals his age or lack of purchase price shouldn't exclude him from the same level of criticism as anyone else.

Gerrard is old and ridiculously inconsistent. But as a club legend he's here, he's first choice and we can't do anything about it.

Allen is great

Sahin needs time to settle in.

Back 4 are fine.

Reina is having another really bad season.

Borini

Sterling   Suarez  Gerrard

Sahin   Allen

Borini in his best position, pressure off Gerrard plus his balls in from out wide, Suarez to be forced to engage in team work rather than pick up the ball as the front man and run to the goal line?

Nah, your AMC for want of a better description has to have more defensive nous than Suarez, would leave Allen and Sahin horribly exposed and on today's showing, Sahin doesnt really like running.

Recipe for disaster

Not if gerrard and sterling are tracking back enough, and suarez is good at putting pressure on opposition players

What you suggested wouldnt work in Rodgers system.

What you are now suggesting is changing the system which whilst may have its merits isnt going to happen.

oh and putting pressure on players is not having defensive nous

It is 3 games into the new season with a new manager who needs time to make this squad his own. We arent going to turn into world beaters this season. I hope Rodgers gets all the time he needs because if so, I honestly feel we can get to where we once were.

Lets remember how crap we were in Benitez' first season. He was lucky enough to have the European Cup to make us forget about that dreadful season in the league.

The squad we had in 2004-5 was diabolically bad. Miracle to win the champions league with that...

...and yet, nearly all the forward players we had then would walk into our team right now. Luis Garcia? Kewell? Baros? Cisse? Way better than Borini, Downing et al.

That's how far we've fallen :(

Ha, just as predicted, it's like a massive emo-depressive party in here. Anyone for a funeral?

Reality: Most of the mouth-breathers are, for god knows what reason, expecting the owners to pull a massive wad of cash out of their own pockets to pay for a load of new players. Can we dispel how stupid and non-viable that is now? We've still got a lot of deadwood on high wages who aren't remotely justifying them.

Seriously, it's laughable how many people whine and complain about the sums we paid out last year, and then within a post or two, whine because we haven't gone out and spent loads on players again this time around.

Would it be worth it to drop Reina for a few games.

Certainly at fault for second today and I thought he could have done better for the first. Add that to an average last season and this could be the kick up the arse that is needed.

Also why did we play so many high balls and use so many crosses today. Absolutely no physical presence between the front three in height.

Still prepared to give Rodgers a full 2 years no matter what anything else would be crazy.

Archived