Euro 2012 final 23-men squads, discuss them as they get revealed

noikeee

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised Stefano Mauri was never in the Italian squad to be honest, unless hes Argentinian....

He'll never make it now obviously after his arrest for the matchfixing probe.

Surprised Stefano Mauri was never in the Italian squad to be honest, unless hes Argentinian....

He'll never make it now obviously after his arrest for the matchfixing probe.

He was at the start of the Prandelli reign, played early qualifiers against Northern Ireland e.t.c.

He was abysmal.

Apparently 17 out of the 23 Portuguese players have connections with agent Jorge Mendes. :eek:

That's even worse than Mano Menezes and Brazil's national team players connections to Carlos Leite.

Apparently 17 out of the 23 Portuguese players have connections with agent Jorge Mendes. :eek:

That's even worse than Mano Menezes and Brazil's national team players connections to Carlos Leite.

He is the Cristiano Ronaldo of football agents, so that's normal most players want to sign with him. They always end up at big clubs.

Falcao also has him as his agent.

• SI Staff
What happened to Elia? Does he not get a game for the national team anymore or is he injured?

He doesn't really feature. Generally manager Bert van Marwijk only picks players that play a lot. An in form Elia is definitely an asset (he was crucial in the win over Denmark at WC 2010)

he has made an exception for Afellay who is an exceptionally gifted player for BvM.

He's received a lot of criticism for picking surprising players, like eg. Bouma and Vlaar. Also Willems and a few other players - but you have to think of the alternatives that really aren't there.

• SI Staff
rumoured final Polish squad:

goalkeepers: Grzegorz Sandomierski (Jagiellonia Białystok), Wojciech Szczęsny (Arsenal Londyn), Przemysław Tytoń (PSV Eidhoven).

defenders: Sebastian Boenisch (Werder Brema), Marcin Kamiński (Lech Poznań), Damien Perquis (Sochaux), Łukasz Piszczek (Borussia Dortmund), Marcin Wasilewski (Anderlecht Bruksela), Jakub Wawrzyniak (Legia Warszawa), Grzegorz Wojtkowiak (Lech Poznań).

midfielders: Jakub Błaszczykowski (Borussia Dortmund), Dariusz Dudka (Auxerre), Kamil Grosicki (Sivasspor), Adam Matuszczyk (Fortuna Dusseldorf), Adrian Mierzejewski (Trabzonspor), Rafał Murawski (Lech Poznań), Ludovic Obraniak (Bordeaux), Eugen Polanski (FSV Mainz), Maciej Rybus (Terek Grozny), Rafał Wolski (Legia Warszawa).

strikers: Paweł Brożek (Celtic Glasgow), Robert Lewandowski (Borussia Dortmund), Artur Sobiech (Hannover 96).

I really don't know why Brożek and Sobiech are there, I'd rather we took someone from our league who plays and scores regularly, not Brożek who has been poor for the last 2 years, or Sobiech who can't get a game at Hannover.

Will you play with just 1 striker? Then it's obviously Lewandowski. But apart from that I struggle to think of really good forwards?

Was Jelen close to a call-up? He was pretty good before this season...

Ebi Smolarek played for my team and he considered he could perhaps work his way into the team if he played well. He wasn't too bad, but if he'd get called up - you'd seriously have a problem :D

He is the Cristiano Ronaldo of football agents, so that's normal most players want to sign with him. They always end up at big clubs.

Falcao also has him as his agent.

Yes, but 17 out of 23 is way too many.

I certainly wouldn't like Brazil's national team to have so many players working with a single agent if they all deserved to be in the national team. You can't give an agent all this power to influence things.

Will you play with just 1 striker? Then it's obviously Lewandowski. But apart from that I struggle to think of really good forwards?

Was Jelen close to a call-up? He was pretty good before this season...

Ebi Smolarek played for my team and he considered he could perhaps work his way into the team if he played well. He wasn't too bad, but if he'd get called up - you'd seriously have a problem :D

We'll probably play with Lewandowski up top, supported by Obraniak and Błaszczykowski on the wings. The truth is we don't have any decent strikers (or centre backs and central midfielders) apart from Lewandowski.

Jeleń just completely disappeared after moving to Lille, not sure what happened to him. Ebi Smolarek had his big moments when Leo Beenhakker was coach of Polish NT (best coach ever by the way <3) but has since faded away big time. I think the problem is in his mind, because the ability is clearly there. At 31 it's all downhill for him now, though.

What I'm saying though is that instead of calling up washed up players like Brożek it's better to try someone unproven, young and hungry, like Kucharczyk, Jankowski or Piech. I used to be a big fan of our current NT coach, but he's turned into a really hard-headed moron somewhere in the past few years. Watch us crash out of the tournament in group stage.

Willems for the dutch i think will impress, definately a future star in the making, in the second half he really powered on and had a great game (vs Bulgaria) before being subbed.

• SI Staff
We'll probably play with Lewandowski up top, supported by Obraniak and Błaszczykowski on the wings. The truth is we don't have any decent strikers (or centre backs and central midfielders) apart from Lewandowski.

Jeleń just completely disappeared after moving to Lille, not sure what happened to him. Ebi Smolarek had his big moments when Leo Beenhakker was coach of Polish NT (best coach ever by the way <3) but has since faded away big time. I think the problem is in his mind, because the ability is clearly there. At 31 it's all downhill for him now, though.

What I'm saying though is that instead of calling up washed up players like Brożek it's better to try someone unproven, young and hungry, like Kucharczyk, Jankowski or Piech. I used to be a big fan of our current NT coach, but he's turned into a really hard-headed moron somewhere in the past few years. Watch us crash out of the tournament in group stage.

I'm not overly impressed with your squad but you have home court advantage, which might see you clinch 2nd place.

You have a good goalkeeper (both Szczesny and Tyton)

and I would say you have competent players in Pisczszek, Blasz, Dudka, Grosicki, Obraniak, Lewandowski and maybe Polanski too. The Greek and Czech sides are probably not too fantastic either but I do expect Russia to do well.

• SI Staff
Willems for the dutch i think will impress, definately a future star in the making, in the second half he really powered on and had a great game (vs Bulgaria) before being subbed.

Probably the biggest question mark. Has shown signs of becoming a great player at such an early age - but has been completely overrun by smart pacy wingers in the Eredivisie.

The Bulgarian side isn't exactly a proper challenge either - yes, they did win - but you can't say Willems got properly tested. I thought he did OK, but nothing special. The Germans and Portuguese will probably have a field day though!

The Germans and Portuguese will probably have a field day though!

And you will have the chance to exploit the German left back (probably Boateng or Schmelzer) but everyone is better than Edson Braafheid. ;)

Interesting decision:

Serbia Bans Player for Refusing to Sing Anthem

18:00 28/05/2012

BELGRADE, May 28 (RIA Novosti)

Serbia midfielder Adem Ljajic has been suspended from the national team for refusing to sing the national anthem before his country's friendly against Spain on Saturday, the Serbian Football Federation announced Monday.

The Fiorentina midfielder, 20, received the ban after explaining to coach Sinisa Mihajlovic that he would not sing the anthem out of principle and did not plan on changing his position, the federation said.

The federation insisted this contravened a "point of agreement" that Ljajic had signed in order to make him eligible for selection for the national team.

The door to the team is not closed, however, and Ljajic will be invited back should he promise to join in with the singing in the future, the federation said.

Ljajic, a former Manchester United target, made his Serbia debut in 2010 and has seven caps. The team failed to qualify for Euro 2012, finishing third in Group C behind Italy and Estonia.

Ljajic was mired in controversy earlier this month when his sarcastic handclap at being substituted in a Serie A game led Fiorentina coach Delio Rossi to lose his patience and punch the winger in the dugout.

http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120528/173718871.html

• SI Staff

Fernando Santos has announced his Greek squad

Kostas		Chalkias		Goalkeeper	PAOK
Michalis	Sifakis			Goalkeeper	Aris
Alexandros	Tzorvas			Goalkeeper	Palermo
Vassilis	Torosidis		Defender	Olympiakos
Kyriakos	Papadopoulos		Defender	Schalke
Avraam		Papadopoulos		Defender	Olympiakos
Sokratis	Papastathopoulos	Defender	Werder
José		Holebas			Defender	Olympiakos
Giorgos		Tzavellas		Defender	Monaco
Stelios		Malezas			Defender	PAOK
Kostas		Katsouranis		Midfield	Panathinaikos
Giorgos		Karagounis		Midfield	Panathinaikos
Giannis		Maniatis		Midfield	Olympiakos
Giorgos		Fotakis			Midfield	PAOK
Grigoris	Makos			Midfield	AEK
Giannis		Fetfatzidis		Midfield	Olympiakos
Sotirios	Ninis			Midfield	Panathinaikos
Kostas		Fortounis		Midfield	Kaiserslautern
Dimitris	Salpingidis		Attack		PAOK
Giorgos		Samaras			Attack		Celtic
Fanis		Gekas			Attack		Samsunspor
Nikos		Liberopoulos		Attack		AEK
Kostas		Mitroglou		Attack		Atromitos

• SI Staff

and I don't think zee Germans have been mentioned here yet:

Manager	Joachim Löw

Manuel		Neuer		Goalkeeper	FC Bayern
Tim		Wiese		Goalkeeper	Werder
Ron-Robert	Zieler		Goalkeeper	Hannover
Holger		Badstuber	Defender	FC Bayern
Jérome		Boateng		Defender	FC Bayern
Benedikt	Höwedes		Defender	FC Schalke
Mats		Hummels		Defender	Dortmund
Marcel		Schmeltzer	Defender	Dortmund
Phillipp	Lahm		Defender	FC Bayern
Per		Mertesacker	Defender	Arsenal
Lars		Bender		Midfield	Leverkusen
Toni		Kroos		Midfield	FC Bayern
Thomas		Müller		Midfield	FC Bayern
Mesut		Özil		Midfield	Real Madrid
Sami		Khedira		Midfield	Real Madrid
Marco		Reus		Midfield	Gladbach
André		Schürrle	Midfield	Leverkusen
Bastian		Schweinsteiger	Midfield	FC Bayern
Mario		Götze		Midfield	Dortmund
Ílkay		Gündogan	Midfield	Dortmund
Miroslav	Klose		Attack		Lazio
Mario		Gomez		Attack		FC Bayern
Lukas		Podolski	Attack		FC Köln

I think the deadline might be tomorrow morning, but I'm not sure. Could be today.

Anyway, French squad:

Carrasso, Lloris, Mandanda

Débuchy, Reveillere, Evra, Clichy, Koscielny, Mexes, Rami

A. Diarra, M'Vila, Martin, Matuidi, Malouda, Cabaye, Nasri

Giroud, Menez, Valbuena, Benzema, Ribery, Ben Arfa

Italy

GK: Buffon, De Sanctis, Sirigu

DF: Abate, Maggio, Barzagli, Chiellini, Bonucci, Ogbonna, Balzaretti

MF: Montolivo, Pirlo, Thiago Motta, De Rossi, Giaccherini, Marchisio, Diamanti, Nocerino

FW: Di Natale, Balotelli, Cassano, Giovinco, Borini

Croatia final squad just announced

Goalkeepers: Pletikosa, Subašić, Kelava

Defence: Vida, Ćorluka, Šimunić, J. Buljat, Schildenfeld, Strinić, Pranjić

Midfield: Srna, Dujmović, Vukojević, Rakitić, Modrić, Perišić, Kranjčar, Badelj, Iličević

Attack: Olić, Jelavić, Mandžukić, Eduardo

Bilić dropped Lovren (injury), Kalinić (enough strikers), Vrsaljko (enough right backs), Blažević (4th keeper)

Italy squad numbers.

1. Buffon

2. Maggio

3. Chiellini

4. Ogbonna

5. Thiago Motta

6. Balzaretti

7. Abate

8. Marchisio

9. Balotelli

10. Cassano

11. Di Natale

12. Sirigu

13. Giaccherini

14. De Sanctis

15. Barzagli

16. De Rossi

17. Borini

18. Montolivo

19. Bonucci

20. Giovinco

21. Pirlo

22. Diamanti

23. Nocerino

Would everyone be kind enough to post the most probable XIs of their teams please? Not the 11 they want, the 11 that will be on the pitch. Fantasy reasons :)

Croatia against Ireland very likely this: Pletikosa - Strinić, Schildenfeld, Šimunić, Vida - Perišić, Modrić, Dujmović, Srna - Mandžukić, Jelavić

These are the players Bilić trusts the most but in recent friendlies Iličević and Badelj played rather well. Badelj won't start as we're packed on his position with Modrić and Rakitić, but Iličević is our only real offensive winger so in some combinations might even start.

Some clubs require a player to swap agents (e.g. to Mendes' agency) before they sign him.

Yeah, no doubt it's all very sinister.

I find it telling that right off Fergie came out and totally distanced himself from that Bebe mess "it's the only player we have signed I have not personally watched" right there you know that's dodgy aside from him switching at the last minute and all that :/

Maggio and not Abate for RB?
I'll be surprised if he starts Abate. He's shown a reluctance to even call him up to the squad for the past two years - to go from that to starting XI would be some turnaround.

But the main reason is that Maggio has been played a fair bit in qualifying/friendlies. Prandelli seemed to be undecided between him and Cassani at times, but with Cassani left out, I would think Maggio will get the nod.

Perisic is very attack minded that's why he hasn't played very much for Dortmund.

He is likely to play on the left but I see him more as a side striker. He's awful in defense and doesn't track back much. And the left back behind him is extremely limited Strinić who never does anything good even though he's constantly going forward. Left back is ridiculously bad position for us for the last 13-14 years. Last one we had was Jarni. All the others were and are English Championship level. All in all we could take a beating down that side, just as Walcott had his way on us few years ago.

On the other hand Iličević is a real winger but I doubt he'll start (or play much) since Bilić likes to use Srna there because of his superior crossing.

He is likely to play on the left but I see him more as a side striker. He's awful in defense and doesn't track back much.

That's how he started in Dortmund but he has worked on his defensive abilites and his stamina. His second half of the season was much better. However Großkreutz is still in front of him because Großkreutz is great at tracking back and defending but is clearly inferior at attacking. I hope Perisic will improve further as he is very effective for Dortmund.

And the left back behind him is extremely limited Strinić who never does anything good even though he's constantly going forward. Left back is ridiculously bad position for us for the last 13-14 years. Last one we had was Jarni. All the others were and are English Championship level. All in all we could take a beating down that side, just as Walcott had his way on us few years ago.

Many teams have this problem. Germany and Holland are lacking quality left backs, too. Löw will probably move Lahm to the left side which isn't ideal but necessary. Schmelzer is the only real left back in the squad and he doesn't work well without the back-tracking Großkreutz.

casillas; arbeloa, ramos, piqué, jordi alba; busquets, alonso, xavi; iniesta, silva/pedrito, torres

sadly

Alváro is such a don :cool: Love the guy. Was Iraola considered for the squad/was he meant to be going was it not for the Bilbao medical staff saying it was better for him to miss out?

Would everyone be kind enough to post the most probable XIs of their teams please? Not the 11 they want, the 11 that will be on the pitch. Fantasy reasons :)

Republic: Given; O'Shea, Ward, Dunne, St. Ledger; Duff, McGeady, Whelan, Andrews; Doyle, Keane

Archived